SPEAKING TONGUES

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 2, 2024
Here are other examples of Jesus that he is Speaking in Tongues:
Spiritual Temple: His Body
JOHN 2:19-21
Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

Spiritual Leaven: Wrong Doctrines.
MATTHEW 16:6-12
Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
7 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.
8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?
9 Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?
10 Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?
11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Let me ask you a few questions if I might.
If I do not have the "gift" of speaking in tongues, what does that mean?
Is it for all believers?

If you do not have the gift of speaking in tongues, in the context of the Church setting, which 1cor chapter 12-14 is about.

I want to be clear: it does NOT mean you are not saved or filled with the Holy Spirit.

It means 1cor chapter 12- chapter 14 :

In the church Setting, The Holy Spirit did not use you or have used you in that gift. However, you could be used in any one of the gifts of the Holy Spirt seen in1cor chapter 12:4-11

Yes, the gifts are to be desired by all believers, Paul said, yet not all will be used in them. As Paul said or asked , "do all speak in tongues" in the context of the church setting and the operation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. No all do not.

Paul said in1cor chapter 12 :1

now concerning spiritual gifts brethren I do not want you to be ignorant (unlearned).

Paul then List the gifts all of them. Then he says in verses 11- 31

or teaches :

1. the unity of the body when operating the gifts
  2. how to operate the gifts in the church setting
  3. then to desire the most effective gifts needed at the time as the Holy Spirit leads.
I hope I answered your qestions.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
If you do not have the gift of speaking in tongues, in the context of the Church setting, which 1cor chapter 12-14 is about.

I want to be clear: it does NOT mean you are not saved or filled with the Holy Spirit.

In the church Setting, The Holy Spirit did not use you or have used you in that gift. However, you could be used in any one of the gifts of the Holy Spirt seen in1cor chapter 12:4-11

Yes, the gifts are to be desired by all believers, Paul said, yet not all will be used in them. As Paul said or asked , "do all speak in tongues" in the context of the church setting and the operation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. No all do not.

now concerning spiritual gifts brethren I do not want you to be ignorant (unlearned).

or teaches :

3. then to desire the most effective gifts needed at the time as the Holy Spirit leads.
Amazing Love and mercy given us from God to us by Son for us, thank you
The body is one body, yet many parts, time to bring it in unison as God is the one that can do that in his children as dsaid

Romans 14:1-4

Authorized (King James) Version

14 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4 Who art thou that judgest another man’s servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023

or teaches :

So how does this help a lost person to know how to be saved?
What is the benefit to a lost person that does not know the need for salvation or how to get salvation?

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023
I Cor.14:5
I would that ye all speak with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for GREATER IS HE THAT PROPHESITH than he that speaketh with tongues except he interpret, THAT THE CHURCH MAY RECEIVE EDIFYING.

I went to a Pentecost one time 60 years ago.
My wife had a school friend whose boy friend was Pentecost and we went at his request.
Shortly after the preacher got in the pulpit and read from the Bible, he began to say words we did not understand.
Soon others joined him and very soon all were speaking in tongues and some were dancing and running around the building.
After about an hour, they all seemed to stop and the preacher praised God for the service.
No one ever interpreted what was said.
No one ever say a word about salvation.
It scared us to death as young Christians.
Is this what happens today?

As Paul said, it is better to prophesy.
It is better that all the church be edified than the individual.
And the best way to edify the church is to prophesy (proclaim the Gospel).
That is what we concentrate on when we gather to worship.
That is what edifies me.
That is all I need.

CS1

May 23, 2012
So how does this help a lost person to know how to be saved?
What is the benefit to a lost person who does not know the need for salvation or how to get salvation?

I don't understand your question. Those who are saved can be empowered by the Holy Spirit as Jesus said would happen in Acts 1 :8
In the church setting, in context to the gifts of the Holy Spirit listed in the 1cor chapter, are you suggesting there is no benefit to the body of Christ ? Because 1cor chapters 12 through 14 give many

Chapter 12:

1. the gifts profit all: 7
  2. part of the body of Christ (members):14-28
Chapter 13:

1. Love is the greatest gift that should motivate all the gifts of the Holy Spirit or operation of them is to be done through love hope and faith
Chapter 14:

1. speaks to God; 2
  2. edification, exhortation, and comfort : 3
  3. Sign to unbelievers : 22
  4. we are told to desire and forbid not to speak in tongues :39
Also Peter did not preach the gospel of jesus Christ until he was empowered by the Holy Spirit as Jesus commanded them to wait for Acts 1:8 and Luke chapter 24: 49

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023
I don't understand your question. Those who are saved can be empowered by the Holy Spirit as Jesus said would happen in Acts 1 :8
In the church setting, in context to the gifts of the Holy Spirit listed in the 1cor chapter, are you suggesting there is no benefit to the body of Christ ? Because 1cor chapters 12 through 14 give many

Chapter 12:

1. the gifts profit all: 7
  2. part of the body of Christ (members):14-28
Chapter 13:

1. Love is the greatest gift that should motivate all the gifts of the Holy Spirit or operation of them is to be done through love hope and faith
Chapter 14:

1. speaks to God; 2
  2. edification, exhortation, and comfort : 3
  3. Sign to unbelievers : 22
  4. we are told to desire and forbid not to speak in tongues :39
Also Peter did not preach the gospel of jesus Christ until he was empowered by the Holy Spirit as Jesus commanded them to wait for Acts 1:8 and Luke chapter 24: 49
I only quoted what Paul said.
It is better to prophesy than to speak in tongues unless someone tells the church what the speaker said.
It is better that ALL the church be deified than just the one speaking in tongues.
Is that not what he said?
Seems you are emphasizing edification of the individual as more important.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I Cor.14:5
I would that ye all speak with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for GREATER IS HE THAT PROPHESITH than he that speaketh with tongues except he interpret, THAT THE CHURCH MAY RECEIVE EDIFYING.

I went to a Pentecost one time 60 years ago.
My wife had a school friend whose boy friend was Pentecost and we went at his request.
Shortly after the preacher got in the pulpit and read from the Bible, he began to say words we did not understand.
Soon others joined him and very soon all were speaking in tongues and some were dancing and running around the building.
After about an hour, they all seemed to stop and the preacher praised God for the service.
No one ever interpreted what was said.
No one ever say a word about salvation.
It scared us to death as young Christians.
Is this what happens today?

As Paul said, it is better to prophesy.
It is better that all the church be edified than the individual.
And the best way to edify the church is to prophesy (proclaim the Gospel).
That is what we concentrate on when we gather to worship.
That is what edifies me.
That is all I need.
Context is important, and personal experiences are not authoritative. The word of God is. From what you have said of your experience 60 years ago, much has changed.

But less look at it shall we:

1 the word Greater here is Elder, meaning Prophesying is seen more than tongues has however, Paul goes on to say except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

This means that tongues and interpretation are equal to prophesying. With the interpretation, you have edification, comfort, and exhortation. Some very paramount points many miss, including Pentecostals:

1. they must line up with the word of God
2. the elders are to judge what is said by the word of God and what happens after, which must bring Glory to God and not the person used in the gift.
  • healing
  • salvation, deliverance, comfort, edification, and exhortation
And not necessarily in that order; I would put salvation first.

60 years ago, like today, many are unlearned, biblically illiterate, and immature with the gifts of the Holy Spirit. And many abuse them, yes they do.

None more than the pulpit by Pastors.

Those who are spiritual = are mature and restore those weaker in the faith Gal 6:1

Many want to use an axe instead of a scalpal

Sincere brother and sister will make mistakes as they did in 1cor chapters 12 through 14 talks about. Yet Paul did not say

DO NOT seek or allow the gifts of the Holy Spirit in your fellowship. No. He wanted them to correct the bad behavior and bring forth the legitimate move of God so all could be blessed.

CS1

May 23, 2012
It is better to prophesy than to speak in tongues unless someone tells the church what the speaker said.
It is better that ALL the church be deified than just the one speaking in tongues.
Yes, you did. However, we must study the meaning of greater, should we not? Does that translate to someone not speaking in tongues at all? No. And why is it the 'greater' one who prophesies over tongues?

I would say that the context of 1cor chapter 12 through 14 teach that the gifts benefit the body of Christ then and they do today.

Those blessings are :

Comfort, healing, exhortation, edification, salvation, and speaking to God, building one's self in God.

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023
Yes, you did. However, we must study the meaning of greater, should we not? Does that translate to someone not speaking in tongues at all? No. And why is it the 'greater' one who prophesies over tongues?

I would say that the context of 1cor chapter 12 through 14 teach that the gifts benefit the body of Christ then and they do today.

Those blessings are :

Comfort, healing, exhortation, edification, salvation, and speaking to God, building one's self in God.
You still have not answered how this helps the lost to understand the need for salvation or how to be saved.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Let's explain interpretation is not a translation from one word to another.

If we read 1cor chapters 12 through 14, Prophesying is speaking under the inspiration ( not a new revelation) but confirmation of what is already known from the word of God. If a person speaks in tongues and another person interprets, the person interpreting is given in the unction to speak. After what is said that is to be measured by the word of God.

CS1

May 23, 2012
You still have not answered how this helps the lost to understand the need for salvation or how to be saved.
Actually, I did. If you read 1cor chapter 14: 22, it's a sign to unbelievers.

However, many of the gifts are not all given to the SAINTS and the body of Christ, as Paul said in chapter 12 of 1cor.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit help the witness of Christ's resurrection. Did you know that? if you read Acts chapters 1 - 4, you will see it in action.

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023
Let's explain interpretation is not a translation from one word to another.

If we read 1cor chapters 12 through 14, Prophesying is speaking under the inspiration ( not a new revelation) but confirmation of what is already known from the word of God. If a person speaks in tongues and another person interprets, the person interpreting is given in the unction to speak. After what is said that is to be measured by the word of God.
I will just open the Scripture and proclaim what Jesus said not what someone else says and allow the Holy Spirit to convict the lost and give them the faith to believe and be saved.
I will use the Scripture to answer their questions and help them as best I can.
Been working for me for over 60 years.

No need to change now.

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023
Actually, I did. If you read 1cor chapter 14: 22, it's a sign to unbelievers.

However, many of the gifts are not all given to the SAINTS and the body of Christ, as Paul said in chapter 12 of 1cor.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit help the witness of Christ's resurrection. Did you know that? if you read Acts chapters 1 - 4, you will see it in action.
These Saints in Acts did not need anyone to explain what was said.
They heard the Gospel in their own language.
Surely you understand that!!!

CS1

May 23, 2012
I will just open the Scripture and proclaim what Jesus said not what someone else says and allow the Holy Spirit to convict the lost and give them the faith to believe and be saved.
I will use the Scripture to answer their questions and help them as best I can.
Been working for me for over 60 years.

No need to change now.
That great :) as I said, I am not here to change you, but with the same word of God that I presented to you, why the gifts of the Holy Spirit are relevant and how they are used in the church setting are effective as God made them to be.

Nowhere did I say "It was someone else." it is the Holy Spirit speaking through the person the word of GOD.

Read Acts chapter 1 to 4

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023
I will end this by saying this.
I do not wish to offend anyone but I believe all who believe as you do are deceived.
It is of no benefit to the preaching of the Gospel, winning the lost, and teaching them to be a true follower of our Lord and Savior.
If you need this, go for it.
Most of us do not and see it as a waste of time.
We will see when Jesus comes.

CS1

May 23, 2012
These Saints in Acts did not need anyone to explain what was said.
They heard the Gospel in their own language.
Surely you understand that!!!
excuse me, those men all spoke with Tongues after the Holy Ghose came upon them. Peter and the 120 were saved before the day of Pentacost. What happened was the empowerment Jesus said would happen in Luke 249 and Acts 1:8

I am not saying those saints in Acts need to speak tongues; I am saying the scripture shows those who were empowered by the Holy Spirit were effective witnesses of Christ's Resurrection Acts 4:33

CS1

May 23, 2012
I do not wish to offend anyone but I believe all who believe as you do are deceived.
It is of no benefit to the preaching of the Gospel, winning the lost, and teaching them to be a true follower of our Lord and Savior.
Well, the word of God says to leave you to it. I wish you had the ability to show me biblically what your opinion is, as you stated above, overstating that one is deceived. How sad. Yet you did not respond to me directly in an unfortunate display of being pusillanimous.

Everyone here can see 1. I did not attack you are say you were not saved. 2. I did not question you as being a " TRUE FOLLOWER OF CHRIST. 3. You do not even KNOW ME AND HAVE MADE JUDGMENT OF ME AND STILL HAVE NOT PROVIDED ONE scripture to support your opinion that those who are Ued in the gifts of the Holy Spirit are deceived. And you do not speak for most; most I have talked to here who disagree used the word of God to support their point and have never said I was deceived but see it as not needed. God bless them. Yet all can see from the word of God that was laid out and can answer or question me at anytime. I gave you respect, but you responded in an immature manner, and that is ok.

The Lord Jesus, who called me and who saved me and to the ministry he has called me to serve over the past 30 years, has seen and continues to see hundreds saved, healed, and delivered to God be the glory.
Confriming HIS word with signs and wonders.

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
The verse specifically says (it does not speak to men). So no man could understand it because it is not a language derived from man.
That's a completely incorrect reading of the text. No, he isn't speaking to other people - no one there understands his language - he's speaking just to God. There is absolutely no where in that passage that remotely suggests the speaker does not know what he's saying. Unless, of course, the author of the text is a bad grammarian.

CS1

May 23, 2012
wonder opinion with no biblical support.