SPEAKING TONGUES

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
FYI, Shack is a movie and not Biblically correct.
So, much more to see that just this present world Heratio
so, you have seen it or not, since God at the beginning shows up as a woman
Be careful straining gnats and swallowing camels, being overly religious as the Pharisees were.
Thanks

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
And no, I am not being judgemental, nor is it to say what is not Biblically correct. I am fine no need to create a false narrative.

are you okay?
well thank you, for seeing truth to not be judgmental, yet observant and stand in being willing to grow up too thank you

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
FYI, Shack is a movie and not Biblically correct.
Me. I see to always seek for Gold Nuggets in everything, thanks there are Gold Nuggets, the same as in the movie "Magnum Force"

As Clint is walking away he states " a man has got to know there own limitations, have a great day

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
Exactly. However you will not find "glossolalia" in the Greek text of the NT. It is either glossa, glossais, or dialektos. All must be translated today as "languages" (as to several modern bible versions). So the gift of "languages" (spoken supernaturally) was presented in both Acts 2 and 1 Corinthians 12-14. Paul therefore insisted that there be an interpreter, since all languages can be interpreted.

The modern concept of glossolalia is a deviation from this, even though the people who originally promoted tongues in the early 20th century believed that the gift would be actual languages for missionary work. Now one poster said that this actually has happened on the mission field, but I requested documentation to support that, and so far I have not seen any. Missionaries have continued to put time and effort into learning foreign languages and then ministering to those to whom they went.
No, you won't find the term - prior to 1879, the term ‘glossolalia’ did not exist – it is a word coined by English theologian, Frederick Farrar (Dean of Canterbury) in 1879 in one of his publications.

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017
The modern concept of glossolalia is a deviation from this, even though the people who originally promoted tongues in the early 20th century believed that the gift would be actual languages for missionary work. Now one poster said that this actually has happened on the mission field, but I requested documentation to support that, and so far I have not seen any. Missionaries have continued to put time and effort into learning foreign languages and then ministering to those to whom they went.
Most of these stories are very anecdotal at best.

Thousands, indeed if not tens of thousands, of examples of tongues-speech have been studied. Not one was ever found to be a real rational language, living or dead. Despite this, the tongues-speaking community is rife with such examples. The frequency that they are reported suggests that tongues as xenoglossy is relatively common.

Given the amount of allegedly attested examples of xenoglossy reported by Pentecostal/Charismatic Christians (in the missionary field or elsewhere), if one were to apply this attestation to even a relatively small sampling of say 2,000 glossic utterances, it is more than reasonable to conclude that at minimum, an extremely conservative estimate would suggest that at least 10 of these samples would yield a real, rational language (i.e., 10 examples out of 2,000). As stated above, this has never happened; not even once.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Be careful straining gnats and swallowing camels, being overly religious as the Pharisees were.
Thanks
LOL. Truth matters and not one Jot of title will be done away with. God is not a woman, nor is that biblical to say, " God can be whatever he wants to be at the expense of HIS word.

I am very careful when speaking of the living God who is Holy and Set apart.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Me. I see to always seek for Gold Nuggets in everything, thanks there are Gold Nuggets, the same as in the movie "Magnum Force"

As Clint is walking away he states " a man has got to know there own limitations, have a great day
Clint also said "There was sugar in my coffee, lots of sugar. I came back to complain."

CS1

May 23, 2012
well thank you, for seeing truth to not be judgmental, yet observant and stand in being willing to grow up too thank you
grow up, huh? ok, it was not I who said God is a woman; it was you. I asked you for clarity which you double down and said it was no typo. You were called on it. and then try to justify your error of speaking of choking gnats and Pharisees.

That's ok :).

presidente

May 29, 2013
Re: Romans 8:26,

Does it make sense that speaking in tongues is groanings that cannot be spoken?

I conclude that speaking in tongues can be spoken, and are therefore not the same thing as these groanings that cannot be spoken.

CS1

May 23, 2012

I conclude that speaking in tongues can be spoken, and are therefore not the same thing as these groanings that cannot be spoken.
I think you have valid point yet 1cor chapter 14 says one can speak silently. or they are told to pray silently if no interpretation

Kavik

Mar 25, 2017

No, it doesn't make sense.

The passage so often quoted from Romans (Rom. 8:26) has absolutely nothing to do with “tongues”.

As one writer puts it (better than I can)…. “The burden of the text is that the Spirit counterbalances the handicap of believers in prayer by interceding for them in accordance with God’s will. The hope of believers is also strengthened by the assistance of the Holy Spirit.”

As to whether or not Paul sort of ‘encodes’ a statement about tongues….Since Biblical ‘tongues’ refers to real language, it’s rather unlikely. To equate this passage with 'modern' tongues because “groaning” is akin to how some Charismatics and Pentecostals describe the modern tongues experience, would require jumping through some interpretive hoops.”

I have never heard tongues-speech presenting as anything but very audible glossic strings; never as groaning.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I think you have valid point yet 1cor chapter 14 says one can speak silently. or they are told to pray silently if no interpretation
Some people take verse 28 that way, but keep silent in the church and let him speak to himself and to God could mean pray outside of the church, since Paul says earlier in the passage that he speaks in tongues more than them all, yet in the church he would rather speak five words with the understanding that he may instruct others than ten thousand words with an unknown tongue.

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
what I don't understand is how some groups like apostolic lutherans can make speaking in tongues a requirement for salvation. I mean what about mute people?

birdie

Sep 16, 2014
What is a Speaking Tongues?
Is it necessary to speak in tongues in our times?
A tongue is simply a language. For example, Spanish is a tongue, English is a tongue and so forth. The Bible speaks about how people who are born again to believe in Christ, speak with new tongues. This does not mean that they babel in a different language, or even in some language other than their native tongues. Rather, it means that they speak from a new spirit. The spirit of Christ is new in them. The tongue is unknown to those who are not in Christ because they do not speak from nor have the spirit. Paul would rather speak a few words that make sense to someone because if it makes sense to someone it is that they are saved. If he speaks the gospel but it is unknown to someone, it is not as good, because they are not saved yet. That is why we are to pray that when we speak the gospel it will be understood, in other words that the hearer will be saved by it or edified as the case may be.

The day of Pentecost in Acts talks about Jews being there when the spirit is poured out. People have tended to think of this in a very surface text way such that people who don't know a particular language, suddenly spoke in that language for the benefit of those around. Like if I grew up knowing English but suddenly spoke in Lithuanian for the benefit of a Jew who only knew Lithuanian. Rather than this being what is pointed to by the scripture, the scripture is actually using parable language, as it always does (Psalm 78:1-2, Mark 4:34). Jews are a word that describe believers. If you believe in Christ unto salvation, then you are a Jew in that sense. When the unsaved become saved as the spirit is poured out, then those who are saved hear the message of salavation being spoken by the formerly unsaved. They wonder that others now speak of God in a way that they can hear because now both are saved. Indeed, this shows that the actual language (English, Spanish, or whatever) is probably the same for the 'Jews' hearing and for those speaking. The marvel is that the spirit of God is behind the speaking and the hearing. Therefore all in attendance are saved, speaking from Christ's spirit, and not from the spirit of the world.

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
Never heard of them.
around here they're sometimes called bunners because of the women's hair. They always have about a dozen kids, and apparently insist everyone will speak in tongues after baptism. I don't understand their rational there at all, and can't find anything in the bible to support it.

presidente

May 29, 2013
around here they're sometimes called bunners because of the women's hair. They always have about a dozen kids, and apparently insist everyone will speak in tongues after baptism. I don't understand their rational there at all, and can't find anything in the bible to support it.
I've heard of Apostolic Pentecostals doing that. Are you talking about a Sami or Finnish Lutheran group? Don't they sprinkle babies and confirm teenagers?

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
I've heard of Apostolic Pentecostals doing that. Are you talking about a Sami or Finnish Lutheran group? Don't they sprinkle babies and confirm teenagers?
not sure, around here they seem to call themselves either Apostolic Lutheran or Old Apostolic Lutherans. From what I gather they seem to require belief, repentance, baptism, and speaking in tongues to be considered saved.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Some people take verse 28 that way, but keep silent in the church and let him speak to himself and to God could mean pray outside of the church, since Paul says earlier in the passage that he speaks in tongues more than them all, yet in the church he would rather speak five words with the understanding that he may instruct others than ten thousand words with an unknown tongue.
the idea of praying outside of the church doesn't seem to make sense to me. Paul's saying was in context to Prophesying that is why he said not to much after that " unless there is an interpretation.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Thanks
not when it is used to make unbiblical points or to say God is a woman. As you did.