Spiritual Baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
Paul must of been speaking to people who didn't know.

Because clearly other people in acts 10 knew

This was the same baptism Paul was speaking about

Acts 10:47-48
47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48
47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water.

They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48

So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.
Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.[
I suggest those Paul and Peter were talking to didn't know there was a HS.

For Peter's situation.
When Peter says "who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” He's talking about when they received the HS on the day of Pentecost. Please consider.
How did Cornelius receive the HS:
Directly from God 44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.
And it was evident by the speaking in tongues. 46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God.

If we look at the day of Pentecost, we see the same thing.
Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Directly from God and evident by the speaking in tongues.

The Gentiles were a special conversion and God did it this way for a purpose. Later Peter retells this conversion, twice, notice he says the HS fell on them just as us at the beginning.
15 As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning.

For Paul's situation, I recommend reading the end of Acts 18 then into 19. Notice when Paul finds out they didn't even know of the HS, what does he question.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
I suggest those Paul and Peter were talking to didn't know there was a HS.

For Peter's situation.
When Peter says "who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” He's talking about when they received the HS on the day of Pentecost. Please consider.
How did Cornelius receive the HS:
Directly from God 44 While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.
And it was evident by the speaking in tongues. 46 For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God.

If we look at the day of Pentecost, we see the same thing.
Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Directly from God and evident by the speaking in tongues.

The Gentiles were a special conversion and God did it this way for a purpose. Later Peter retells this conversion, twice, notice he says the HS fell on them just as us at the beginning.
15 As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning.

For Paul's situation, I recommend reading the end of Acts 18 then into 19. Notice when Paul finds out they didn't even know of the HS, what does he question.
You receive the holy spirit but you still need to be baptised 😊. After water baptism comes baptism of fire in my view. It's called remission of sins, and being resurrected in Christ.

Baptism of fire is where your sins are washed. This is what I've been told and what i believe. Anything else is just to confusing

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
There were those too who were water baptized after receiving the Holy Spirit.

“Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized
with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”
That is correct. I suggest this is the only time we actually see two baptisms. It's also the only time we see water baptism commanded. Peter later telling of this conversion recognizes this as baptized WITH the HS.
15 As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning. 16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’

Before the apostles were baptized WITH the HS, Jesus told them they would be.
Acts 1 but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
Day of Pentecost.
Acts 2 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
When they were baptized WITH the HS on the day of Pentecost, it was directly from God and evident by the speaking in tongues. The exact same way as Cornelius.

We can see Cornelius and the day of Pentecost are the same, the HS was directly from God and evident by speaking in tongues. That's why Peter says the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
I suggest it's only controversial because one baptism doesn't fit their understanding. I don't see how it can be misunderstood other than by those who doesn't want to believe there is only one baptism. Everything in that list is clearly one, that is the point of the list. Why wouldn't there be one baptism as well?
There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
Paul wouldn't have included it in the list if there wasn't one.

Those who use that verse to support spiritual baptism believe in two baptisms. One of them has to go since there is only one.

I believe in one baptism and it's water. I believe we receive the HS but it is not a baptism of the HS.
One baptism and a receiving of the HS.
Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
My .02
EXACTLY!!!

Thanks for the demonstration of what I just said (noses).

In Jesus' case, HE had TWO baptisms - one by John (repentance, not of SIN, but of his former life style) and the second Baptism by Pilate (physical death).

PERSONALLY, I've had three baptisms already, with a fourth one coming up:

FIRST in 1942, by the nice priest who wet my head shortly AFTER when I was born - supposedly to cleanse me from original sin, and make me part of the Roman Catholic religious system - since Dad was a "Christmas and Easter Catholic",

SECONDLY, one in 1963, AFTER I was really Born Again, and became a Christian.

THIRDLY, one back in 1973, when I was "Baptized in the Holy Spirit" (to use AG vernacular).

And the FOURTH one will be the baptism of DEATH, when my physical time is up in the near future. Tonight would be fine. 81 years is a long time.

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
You receive the holy spirit but you still need to be baptised 😊. After water baptism comes baptism of fire in my view. It's called remission of sins, and being resurrected in Christ.

Baptism of fire is where your sins are washed. This is what I've been told and what i believe. Anything else is just to confusing
The conversion of Cornelius was a special situation. The first Gentile converts. The Jews had hated the Gentile "dogs" for so long, they didn't understand they were to be included in Christ. It took a vision and God giving them the HS directly for the Jews to understand. Please consider:
Peter recounting the conversion of the Gentiles in Acts 11. 17 If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God's way?” 18 When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.”
He also talks about it in chapter 15.

My understanding of baptism by fire is persecution, testing.
12 Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though something strange were happening to you;

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
EXACTLY!!!

Thanks for the demonstration of what I just said (noses).

In Jesus' case, HE had TWO baptisms - one by John (repentance, not of SIN, but of his former life style) and the second Baptism by Pilate (physical death).

PERSONALLY, I've had three baptisms already, with a fourth one coming up:

FIRST in 1942, by the nice priest who wet my head shortly AFTER when I was born - supposedly to cleanse me from original sin, and make me part of the Roman Catholic religious system - since Dad was a "Christmas and Easter Catholic",

SECONDLY, one in 1963, AFTER I was really Born Again, and became a Christian.

THIRDLY, one back in 1973, when I was "Baptized in the Holy Spirit" (to use AG vernacular).

And the FOURTH one will be the baptism of DEATH, when my physical time is up in the near future. Tonight would be fine. 81 years is a long time.
There are days I'm ready to go. I recognize there are different baptism mentioned in the bible. The baptism I am most concerned with, and everyone should be, is the baptism that places us into Christ. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
Since we are baptized into Christ, don't you think Satan is going to do his very very best to confuse us on baptism.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
The conversion of Cornelius was a special situation. The first Gentile converts. The Jews had hated the Gentile "dogs" for so long, they didn't understand they were to be included in Christ. It took a vision and God giving them the HS directly for the Jews to understand. Please consider:
Peter recounting the conversion of the Gentiles in Acts 11. 17 If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God's way?” 18 When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.”
He also talks about it in chapter 15.

My understanding of baptism by fire is persecution, testing.
12 Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though something strange were happening to you;
my understanding of baptism of fire is purification and a clear conscience. 😊

Where the fire of the spirit cleans you and fills you with Joy, kind of like no longer being a Luke warm Christian.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
There are days I'm ready to go. I recognize there are different baptism mentioned in the bible. The baptism I am most concerned with, and everyone should be, is the baptism that places us into Christ. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
Since we are baptized into Christ, don't you think Satan is going to do his very very best to confuse us on baptism.
WELL HEY!!!! It's a simple FACT that satan does his best to LIE, Rationalize, Contradict, and lead astray EVERY ASPECT of "Normal Christianity".

MY PERSONAL BELIEF is that the "Born Again experience" at its core is a "Baptism of DEATH" (since your "OLD MAN" was crucified with Christ, and and the life you live NOW, you live in Christ. THAT'S the significant "Baptism".

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
op: ONE [ Spiritual ] Baptism?
Those who use that verse to support spiritual baptism believe in two baptisms. One of them has to go since there is only one.
Incorrect, no, some of us don't... + Correct, God's Math Still stands Firm!
There were those too who were water baptized after receiving the Holy Spirit.

“Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized
with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.”
Yes, correct, [ Special ONE-Time situation! ] "God Changing things" in His
Transition from Law, with the "water baptism," along with "everyone healed,"
"the signs of the apostles," "gifts of prophecy, knowledge, and tongues"
diminishing/gone...

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That Differ!” (online):

...Transitioning over to God's New "Dispensation Of Grace" Going Into
FULL Fruition, committed to ONE apostle Paul, for the ONE Body Of Christ,
with:
The baptism I am most concerned with, and everyone should be, is the baptism that places us into Christ.
There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
Very, Very Correct! and we Are Very Very Concerned!!:

...So, prayerfully, and Very Very Very Carefully we can now interpret this
Important Passage with Only "ONE" [ of God's Correct Math! ] of three
different choices, eh?:

So, What Saith The Holy Scriptures “In It's Immediate Context,” About This
ONE Baptism?:

Endeavouring to keep The Unity Of The Spirit in the bond of Peace!​
There is ONE Body, and ONE Spirit, even as ye are called in ONE hope​
of your calling; ONE LORD, ONE faith, ONE Baptism, ONE God And Father​
of All, Who Is Above All, and through All, and In you All!”​
(Ephesians 4:3-6)​
Are we All Really "endeavouring to keep this "Unity"?

Now, unless we are mistaken, there are 3 choices of understanding
God’s Context In This Very Critical / Important Passage!:

1) all “physical” { Wrong "unity" } = Destruction of “God's Context," agreed?

2) “combo” of 6 Spiritual + 1 “physical,” lifted “out, and”

...................................... “isolated” ..............​

From God's Spiritual Context, to be re-interpreted as: “water” baptism =
Destruction { No Unity! } Of God's Context, agreed?

3) These Seven Unities Of God's Spirit are All Spiritual, so
now we kindly/humbly ask, Is God’s ONE Baptism ReallySpiritual”?

Let us, Finally:
Make ONE More "Scriptural Comparison" (1 Corinthians 2:13), And Ask:
“What Saith The Scripture?” And, The ONE Answer we hear, From God, Is:

"For 'By' ONE Spirit are we all Baptized Into ONE Body, whether
we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; And Have
Been All Made To Drink Into ONE Spirit!" (1 Corinthians 12:13 KJB)​
United! Or Severely Divided?

If This "ONE BAPTISM" Is Not = “The OPERATION Of God,”
then we would have to concede that it is:

men & religion with ‘water' that saves us :cry: – any takers?

So, for the lost: God's Simple Will!
And for:

Precious friends, thanks for your time/consideration of this
Important Doctrine, and:

Please Be Very Richly Encouraged and Edified In The Lord
Jesus Christ, and In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

Amen.

Also helpful: UnScriptural or UNdispensational?

Study to Be APPROVED Open Bible.png

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
diminishing/gone...

with:

different choices, eh?:

ONE Baptism?:

Let us, Finally:

And for:

Important Doctrine, and:

Amen.

Ephesians 2:8-9
:)

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023

Were the Corinthians water baptized at their conversion?
1 Cor. 1:13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
WELL HEY!!!! It's a simple FACT that satan does his best to LIE, Rationalize, Contradict, and lead astray EVERY ASPECT of "Normal Christianity".

MY PERSONAL BELIEF is that the "Born Again experience" at its core is a "Baptism of DEATH" (since your "OLD MAN" was crucified with Christ, and and the life you live NOW, you live in Christ. THAT'S the significant "Baptism".
How does the bible tell us we are baptized into death?

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
I’ve heard people talk about spiritual baptism. I’m not aware of the bible telling us or alluding to a baptism of/by the HS. I’m hoping this discussion will help me to understand how some come to this conclusion and the scriptural support for it.

Let me first give my basic current understanding on the topic and my concerns. My concern is this “spiritual” baptism is being used to replace water baptism and make water baptism of no effect. If it does actually replace water baptism then great, I want to know and understand.

I understand what the transliterated word “baptism” means. I understand that it’s used in various ways. For this discussion, I would like to stick to baptisms role in conversion. I want to understand what the bible tells us about water and "spiritual" baptism.

I do believe there is a spiritual baptism because the bible tells me so. “Baptized with the Holy Spirit” However, baptism with the HS only happened twice and each one was for a very important specific purpose. The first was the beginning of the church on Pentecost and the other was the first Gentile converts. These were directly from God and evident by speaking in tongues.

Please do not use these two to prove "spiritual baptism". I acknowledge this is spiritual baptism. If you believe they were not special situations, then since they are not special you should be able to use the other conversions to prove your point.

Now God has given us His word so we can understand these things. I trust God has chosen the right words to tell us about these things so we can understand. So please use scripture to make your point and tell me how that scripture supports your point.
I searched 63 bible versions
9 versions read baptized IN the Holy Spitit
42 versions read baptized BY the Holy Spitit
12 (listed below) read as posted below. The 1st reads """by&in"""

(Expanded Bible (EXB) 1 Cor 12:13 Some of us are Jews, and some are Greeks. Some of us are slaves, and some are free. But we were all baptized into one body ·through [by; in] one Spirit. And we were all made to ·share in [L drink of] the one Spirit.

(Contemporary English Version (CEV) 1 Cor 12:13 Some of us are Jews, and others are Gentiles. Some of us are slaves, and others are free. But God's Spirit baptized each of us and made us part of the body of Christ. Now we each drink from that same Spirit.
(MY COMMENT: This version says God's Spirit baptized each of us and made us part of the body of Christ)

(Worldwide English (New Testament) (WE) 1 Cor 12:13 The one Spirit baptized us all to make one body. It made no difference whether we were Jews or Greeks, whether we were slaves or free men. We were all given to drink of one Spirit.
(MY COMMENT: This one says one Spirit baptized us all to make one body)

(Good News Translation (GNT) 1 Cor 12:13 In the same way, all of us, whether Jews or Gentiles, whether slaves or free, have been baptized into the one body by the same Spirit, and we have all been given the one Spirit to drink.
(MY COMMENT: This version says baptized into the one body by the same Spirit

(Easy-to-Read Version (ERV) 1 Cor 12:13 Some of us are Jews and some of us are not; some of us are slaves and some of us are free. But we were all baptized to become one body through one Spirit. And we were all given[a] the one Spirit.
(MY COMMENT: This version says we were all baptized to become one body through one Spirit. And we were all given[a] the one Spirit.

(International Children’s Bible (ICB) 1 Cor 12:13 Some of us are Jews, and some of us are Greeks. Some of us are slaves, and some of us are free. But we were all baptized into one body through one Spirit. And we were all made to share in the one Spirit.
(MY COMMENT: This version also says we were all baptized to become one body through one Spirit. And we were all given[a] the one Spirit.

(New Century Version (NCV) 1 Cor 12:13 Some of us are Jews, and some are Greeks. Some of us are slaves, and some are free. But we were all baptized into one body through one Spirit. And we were all made to share in the one Spirit.
(MY COMMENT: This version also says we were all baptized to become one body through one Spirit. And we were all given[a] the one Spirit.

(Darby Translation) 1 Cor 12:13 For also in [the power of] one Spirit *we* have all been baptised into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bondmen or free, and have all been given to drink of one Spirit.

(Disciples’ Literal New Testament) 1 Cor 12:13 For indeed with[x] one Spirit, we all were baptized into one body[y]— whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free. And we all were given one Spirit to drink.

(EasyEnglish Bible (EASY) 1 Cor 12:13 When they baptized us, we all became parts of one body. It was the one Spirit who brought us together. It made no difference whether we were Jews or Gentiles. It made no difference whether we were slaves or free people. God poured his one Spirit into all of us.

(The Message (MSG) 1 Cor 12:13 By means of his one Spirit, we all said good-bye to our partial and piecemeal lives. We each used to independently call our own shots, but then we entered into a large and integrated life in which he has the final say in everything. (This is what we proclaimed in word and action when we were baptized.) Each of us is now a part of his resurrection body, refreshed and sustained at one fountain—his Spirit—where we all come to drink. The old labels we once used to identify ourselves—labels like Jew or Greek, slave or free—are no longer useful. We need something larger, more comprehensi

(The Voice (VOICE) 1 Cor 12:13 We were all ceremonially washed through baptism[a] together into one body by one Spirit. No matter our heritage—Jew or Greek, insider or outsider—no matter our status—oppressed or free—we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

My take is: Christ's Holy Spirit is the true salvation SEALING baptism.

1 Cor 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
(MY COMMENT: For by ONE SPIRIT are ALL BAPTIZED into ONE BODY! Translators capitalized Spirit to identify when referring the Holy Spirit. Only Christ can baptize with the salvation sealing indwelling Holy Spirit.)

ADDITIONALLY:
Under the Old (pre-death, sin payment) Covenant. Physical circumcision was required. Under the New (post-death, sin payment). It's Spiritual circumcision that's required.

Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision """made without hands""", in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
(MY COMMENT: The baptism of the "ETERNALLY SEALING" (2 Cor 1:22, 5:5, Eph 4:4) "FOREVER INDWELLING (Jn14:16)" Holy Spirit is a "Spiritual/Circumcision/Covenant" done "by Christ's Alone", "WITHOUT HANDS" & without water)

Rom 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
(MY COMMENT: Circumcision of the heart, in the spirit)

Deut 30:6 (A) the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart,

FINALLY:
Christ's Holy Spirit, "eternal sealing's/NT/Body of Christ" don't begin until after Jesus death & resurrection:

Jn 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

2 Tim 1:14 Refers to the Holy Spirit as a Good Deposit.

2 Cor 5:5, Eph 1:14 & 2 Cor 1:22. Refer to the Holy Spirit as "the earnest" = Deposit or Pledge.

Eph 1:13, 2 Cor 1:22 & Eph 4:30 Refer to the Holy Spirit as a Seal.

2 Tim 1:14 The Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you
(MY NOTE: The Holy Spirit dwelling within us <PRESENT TENSE). Is God's good deposit)

2 Cor 5:5 God, who also hath given unto us the "earnest" of the Spirit
(MY COMMENT: Cor written to believers: God has <PAST TENSE, given/DONE DEAL)

2 Cor 1:22 Who hath also "sealed us" & "given the earnest" of the Holy Spirit in our hearts
(MY NOTE: God has given <PAST TENSE/DONE DEAL > Holy Spirit. His DEPOSIT/PLEDGE/PROMISE & SEAL, until the soon coming day of our final redemption)

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
(MY COMMENT: The gospel of your salvation: you believed & were <PAST TENSE > sealed/DONE DEAL with God's salvation sealing Holy Spirit promise)

Eph1:14 Which is the "earnest" of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession
(MY COMMENT: The Holy Spirit by which only Christ baptizes/seals & indwells us. Is God's earnest = a down paymnt/pledge)

Eph 4:30 grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are "sealed" unto the day of redemption
(MY COMMENT: Believers are SEALED until their next unrepentant sin? NO! SEALED until the day they receive their heavenly body. Christ's indwelling Holy Spirit is Christ's pledge/promise that he will come for every believer. The jews received this Promise. At the Acts 2 Pentecost, the gentiles at Acts 10 Cornelius & now any/every jew or gentile that believes in Christ death & resurrection.)

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
op: ONE [ Spiritual ] Baptism?

Incorrect, no, some of us don't... + Correct, God's Math Still stands Firm!

diminishing/gone...

with:

different choices, eh?:

ONE Baptism?:

Let us, Finally:

And for:

Important Doctrine, and:

Amen.

View attachment 260583
Gods word says you have to be baptised in water to be resurrected in Christ.
How does the bible tell us we are baptized into death?
it doesn't Gods word says you have to be baptised in water to be resurrected in Christ 😊.

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
I searched 63 bible versions
9 versions read baptized IN the Holy Spitit
42 versions read baptized BY the Holy Spitit
12 (listed below) read as posted below. The 1st reads """by&in"""

(Expanded Bible (EXB) 1 Cor 12:13 Some of us are Jews, and some are Greeks. Some of us are slaves, and some are free. But we were all baptized into one body ·through [by; in] one Spirit. And we were all made to ·share in [L drink of] the one Spirit.

(Contemporary English Version (CEV) 1 Cor 12:13 Some of us are Jews, and others are Gentiles. Some of us are slaves, and others are free. But God's Spirit baptized each of us and made us part of the body of Christ. Now we each drink from that same Spirit.
(MY COMMENT: This version says God's Spirit baptized each of us and made us part of the body of Christ)

(Worldwide English (New Testament) (WE) 1 Cor 12:13 The one Spirit baptized us all to make one body. It made no difference whether we were Jews or Greeks, whether we were slaves or free men. We were all given to drink of one Spirit.
(MY COMMENT: This one says one Spirit baptized us all to make one body)

(Good News Translation (GNT) 1 Cor 12:13 In the same way, all of us, whether Jews or Gentiles, whether slaves or free, have been baptized into the one body by the same Spirit, and we have all been given the one Spirit to drink.
(MY COMMENT: This version says baptized into the one body by the same Spirit

(Easy-to-Read Version (ERV) 1 Cor 12:13 Some of us are Jews and some of us are not; some of us are slaves and some of us are free. But we were all baptized to become one body through one Spirit. And we were all given[a] the one Spirit.
(MY COMMENT: This version says we were all baptized to become one body through one Spirit. And we were all given[a] the one Spirit.

(International Children’s Bible (ICB) 1 Cor 12:13 Some of us are Jews, and some of us are Greeks. Some of us are slaves, and some of us are free. But we were all baptized into one body through one Spirit. And we were all made to share in the one Spirit.

(New Century Version (NCV) 1 Cor 12:13 Some of us are Jews, and some are Greeks. Some of us are slaves, and some are free. But we were all baptized into one body through one Spirit. And we were all made to share in the one Spirit.

(Darby Translation) 1 Cor 12:13 For also in [the power of] one Spirit *we* have all been baptised into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bondmen or free, and have all been given to drink of one Spirit.

(Disciples’ Literal New Testament) 1 Cor 12:13 For indeed with[x] one Spirit, we all were baptized into one body[y]— whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free. And we all were given one Spirit to drink.

(EasyEnglish Bible (EASY) 1 Cor 12:13 When they baptized us, we all became parts of one body. It was the one Spirit who brought us together. It made no difference whether we were Jews or Gentiles. It made no difference whether we were slaves or free people. God poured his one Spirit into all of us.

(The Message (MSG) 1 Cor 12:13 By means of his one Spirit, we all said good-bye to our partial and piecemeal lives. We each used to independently call our own shots, but then we entered into a large and integrated life in which he has the final say in everything. (This is what we proclaimed in word and action when we were baptized.) Each of us is now a part of his resurrection body, refreshed and sustained at one fountain—his Spirit—where we all come to drink. The old labels we once used to identify ourselves—labels like Jew or Greek, slave or free—are no longer useful. We need something larger, more comprehensi

(The Voice (VOICE) 1 Cor 12:13 We were all ceremonially washed through baptism[a] together into one body by one Spirit. No matter our heritage—Jew or Greek, insider or outsider—no matter our status—oppressed or free—we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

My take is: Christ's Holy Spirit is the true salvation SEALING baptism.

1 Cor 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
(MY COMMENT: For by ONE SPIRIT are ALL BAPTIZED into ONE BODY! Translators capitalized Spirit to identify when referring the Holy Spirit. Only Christ can baptize with the salvation sealing indwelling Holy Spirit.)

ADDITIONALLY:
Under the Old (pre-death, sin payment) Covenant. Physical circumcision was required. Under the New (post-death, sin payment). It's Spiritual circumcision that's required.

Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision """made without hands""", in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
(MY COMMENT: The baptism of the "ETERNALLY SEALING" (2 Cor 1:22, 5:5, Eph 4:4) "FOREVER INDWELLING (Jn14:16)" Holy Spirit is a "Spiritual/Circumcision/Covenant" done "by Christ's Alone", "WITHOUT HANDS" & without water)

Rom 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
(MY COMMENT: Circumcision of the heart, in the spirit)

Deut 30:6 (A) the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart,

FINALLY:
Christ's Holy Spirit, "eternal sealing's/NT/Body of Christ" don't begin until after Jesus death & resurrection:

Jn 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

2 Tim 1:14 Refers to the Holy Spirit as a Good Deposit.

2 Cor 5:5, Eph 1:14 & 2 Cor 1:22. Refer to the Holy Spirit as "the earnest" = Deposit or Pledge.

Eph 1:13, 2 Cor 1:22 & Eph 4:30 Refer to the Holy Spirit as a Seal.

2 Tim 1:14 The Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you
(MY NOTE: The Holy Spirit dwelling within us <PRESENT TENSE). Is God's good deposit)

2 Cor 5:5 God, who also hath given unto us the "earnest" of the Spirit
(MY COMMENT: Cor written to believers: God has <PAST TENSE, given/DONE DEAL)

2 Cor 1:22 Who hath also "sealed us" & "given the earnest" of the Holy Spirit in our hearts
(MY NOTE: God has given <PAST TENSE/DONE DEAL > Holy Spirit. His DEPOSIT/PLEDGE/PROMISE & SEAL, until the soon coming day of our final redemption)

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
(MY COMMENT: The gospel of your salvation: you believed & were <PAST TENSE > sealed/DONE DEAL with God's salvation sealing Holy Spirit promise)

Eph1:14 Which is the "earnest" of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession
(MY COMMENT: The Holy Spirit by which only Christ baptizes/seals & indwells us. Is God's earnest = a down paymnt/pledge)

Eph 4:30 grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are "sealed" unto the day of redemption
(MY COMMENT: Believers are SEALED until their next unrepentant sin? NO! SEALED until the day they receive their heavenly body. Christ's indwelling Holy Spirit is Christ's pledge/promise that he will come for every believer. The jews received this Promise. At the Acts 2 Pentecost, the gentiles at Acts 10 Cornelius & now any/every jew or gentile that believes in Christ death & resurrection.)
Thanks for the exhaustive list of translations. I wouldn't trust to many translations. This is the Greek word used there.

en: in, on, at, by, with
Original Word: ἐν
Part of Speech: Preposition
Transliteration: en
Phonetic Spelling: (en)
Definition: in, on, at, by, with
Usage: in, on, among.

If we look at the context, of 1 Corinthians, I suggest when Paul says baptism he is referring to water baptism. Please consider:
1 Cor. 1 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
1 Cor. 10 Paul is giving them a warning and using the Israelites as an example. To draw the closest parallel Paul uses this to show the Israelites were water baptized. 2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ.
The Corinthians equated water baptism with washing away sins.
1 Cor. 15 29 Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead?
When the Corinthians read this letter and see baptism, they understand it is the water baptism at their conversion. Just as Jesus said, Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved,
Same for the Corinthians And many of the Corinthians hearing Paul believed and were baptized.
Circumcision. Our circumcision is spiritual but it's achieved by baptism.
11 In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.

Receiving the HS. Yes, it didn't begin until after Jesus's sacrifice. Also after Jesus's sacrifice He changed water baptism to baptized in the name of Jesus.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
I respectfully suggest you are missing the whole point. Was Peter calling any of the previous converts common? No, not even the Samaritans but he, and the Jews, still viewed the Gentiles as unclean.
This is what Peter finally came to realize from the vision and being sent to Gentiles.
Acts 10:28 And he said to them, “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or to visit anyone of another nation, but God has shown me that I should not call any person common or unclean.
It was unlawful to associate with Gentiles and now Peter understands he should call no man unclean.

Then he says v34 So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality,
They had viewed the Gentiles as dogs for over a thousand years, but this conversion, and vision, are proof from God they should not any longer.

This one conversion is also discussed in 2 other chapters, 11&15, because of it's importance.
no he still didn't get it, the reason it is discussed again in chpts 11 and 15 is because he and Paul fell out in Antioch over whether or not the salvation of the Gentiles were "properly" saved ... he withdrew from them and would not eat with them [treating them as unclean] even Barnabas and John Mark was caught up in this dispute.

They did submit to Paul but from then on it was decided that they should go to the Jews and Paul to the Gentiles.

Lamar

May 21, 2023
The ones baptized were added. But that doesn't mean they were added by water baptism.
The tacit understanding for baptism is liquid water. This is true in the Greek and English.
To imply that Paul was speaking of another form of baptism is quite a stretch.

The tacit form of "ice" is frozen water.
The tacit form of "to bathe" is with liquid water.
The tacit form of "to take a shower" is with liquid water.
Even the word "water" is tacit for liquid water.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
The tacit understanding for baptism is liquid water.
Precious friend, there are Severe problems with Mis-understanding:

"baptism Always = water"? ie:​

1) Noah’s type {figurative} baptism (Genesis 6:13, 7:23; 1 Peter 3:20-21).
Peter, the apostle to the circumcision [Jews] (Galatians 2:8), writes to the
“elect strangers” (1 Peter 1:1-2), And mentions to them that eight people
were “saved by water!”

Did the water not "destroy all of the unrighteous," and​
the "ark save eight righteous" through/out of the water?​
2. Baptism unto Moses (Exodus 14:29; 1 Corinthians 10:2).
Paul presents Israel’s baptism unto Moses “in the cloud and in the sea!”
Saving “baptism” or spiritual “identification” with God’s leader of HIS people?

Dry baptism?​

------------------------------
(Israel's various washings! Greek: Baptismos = Hebrews 9:10):

3a. Israel’s ceremonial cleansings
(Exodus 19:14, 30:17-21; Leviticus 11:25; Numbers 19:13).
These cleansing rituals were required under the Mosaic Law
for the cleansing of the people.

Yes, Agree, these are water.​

3b. Traditional Jewish baptisms
(Matthew 15:2; Mark 7:3; Luke 11:38).
These washings were Not mandated under the Law,
but were part of Jewish tradition.

======

4. Levitical priesthood baptism (Exodus 29:4;
Leviticus 8:6; Numbers 8:7!). This washing was The Second
Requirement {The First being: "NO blemish!" (Leviticus 21:21!)},
in order to become a priest under the Law of Moses!

Again, Agree this is "washing hands and feet with water!​

Is this baptism in any way connected To water baptism # 9?

================================------------------------

JESUS’ Various Baptisms:

5. JESUS’ Baptism (Identification With/Immersed) Into
the human race, By HIS Birth! (Matthew 1:18-25; Luke 2:5-20!).
not water, Correct?​
6. JESUS’ water Baptism by John (Matthew 3:13-17;
Mark 1:9-11!). JESUS, Who Knew NO sin, Was Baptized by John
to Fulfill All Righteousness! { Identification With "Confessors" of sins,
In Preparation For HIS (Baptismal) Death FOR sin! }
Agreeing with God, this is water...​

7. JESUS’ Baptism With Fire
(Isaiah 4:4; Malachi 3:3; Matthew 3:11; Luke 3:16!).
JESUS Will Baptize the nation of Israel with fire when they are
in Great Tribulation in the Time Of Jacob’s Trouble!

{ Is this also for the “chaff” when separated from the wheat?
(Matthew 3:12; Luke 3:17!) }

Disagree, "fire" is different than "water," Correct?​

8. JESUS’ Baptism Unto Death! (Isaiah 53:12; Matthew 20:22-23;
Mark 10:38-39, 15:28; Luke 12:50 cp John 18:11!).
JESUS’ Third Baptism Which HE Accomplished On The Cross, Where
HE Was Identified With the sins of Israel, as well as the rest of the world!
{ cp "...HE was numbered with the transgressors." (Mark 15:28 KJB!). }

NO water here Either, Correct?​
==========================================================

9. "water" baptism of repentance that John preached (Before The Cross),
And Peter continued (After The Cross!), to preach!
(Matthew 3:5-6; Mark 1:4; Luke 3:3; John 1:31; Luke 7:29-30;
Acts 10:37; Matthew 28:19; Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16;
Ezekiel 36:25).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baptism Of Anointing?:

10. Pentecostal Spirit baptism

This is the baptism "WITH" The Holy Spirit, BY JESUS CHRIST,
From Heaven, Poured Out Upon the believing remnant of Israel with
signs and powers following. (Isaiah 44:3; Matthew 3:11; Mark 1:8, 16:17-18;
Luke 24:49; Acts 2:17-18, 38; Acts 8:15-17; Acts 11:16).

physical water, or Spiritual?​

For The Body Of Christ, Today, Under God's Grace!:

Only ONE Baptism = "BY" The ONE Holy Spirit = God's OPERATION,
Spiritually Identifying members In (The ONE Body Of) CHRIST!!
(Ephesians 4:5; Colossians 2:12; Galatians 3:27;
Romans 6:3-4; 1 Corinthians 12:13 KJB!)

How is A Supernatural Spiritual Being = natural physical water?​

Amen.