Spiritual Baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Sorry all but just a quick question about water baptism...when a person has been baptised as an adult in water should they ever be baptised again? Many thanks 🥰
Only if the baptism was not a believer's baptism. That's the only example of re-baptism in the bible.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
Only if the baptism was not a believer's baptism. That's the only example of re-baptism in the bible.
I have recently left the church I had been attending for the last four years due to a lot of fake teaching. But I am not sure the new church I am going to is teaching things right either. They say in order for me to take part in Holy Communion or to be a member of their church I would have to be baptised again by them 😱 Surely this isn't right?

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
I have recently left the church I had been attending for the last four years due to a lot of fake teaching. But I am not sure the new church I am going to is teaching things right either. They say in order for me to take part in Holy Communion or to be a member of their church I would have to be baptised again by them 😱 Surely this isn't right?
you can get a friend to baptise you. 😊 Or you can ask any Christian.

They should be willing. Or even your family

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
I'd be careful, and certainly wouldn't be re-baptised. How would it go if we were still under the old covenant? Either they need to accept that you've received a believer's baptism by full immersion (let them question you to reassure themselves), or they've got the wrong understanding of salvation (and may possibly be heading in a cultish direction). A certificate of baptism might help, or a letter from whoever baptised you, but I think re-baptism makes a mockery of the sign.

Unless of course, you had the wrong understanding when you were baptised (i.e. you believed in a false gospel). Then of course, re-baptism is the biblical path. But that's not what I understand you are saying.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
I'd be careful, and certainly wouldn't be re-baptised. How would it go if we were still under the old covenant? Either they need to accept that you've received a believer's baptism by full immersion (let them question you to reassure themselves), or they've got the wrong understanding of salvation (and may possibly be heading in a cultish direction). A certificate of baptism might help, or a letter from whoever baptised you, but I think re-baptism makes a mockery of the sign.

Unless of course, you had the wrong understanding when you were baptised (i.e. you believed in a false gospel). Then of course, re-baptism is the biblical path. But that's not what I understand you are saying.
Thanks for your help 😊
I had a long chat with the pastor about it and he said he believes that I have been baptised in water and that the Gospel I have received is the true Gospel of Jesus Christ but it's the church rules and is the same for all new people 😱 I believe this is a lie

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Thanks for your help 😊
I had a long chat with the pastor about it and he said he believes that I have been baptised in water and that the Gospel I have received is the true Gospel of Jesus Christ but it's the church rules and is the same for all new people 😱 I believe this is a lie
It could well be the church rules. But I wouldn't be re-baptised. I would just attend as a non-member, or find another church... Or encourage them to change their unbiblical rule, maybe?

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
It could well be the church rules. But I wouldn't be re-baptised. I would just attend as a non-member, or find another church... Or encourage them to change their unbiblical rule, maybe?
Thanks for your advice I appreciate it.
It seems so hard to be accepted in the church. I give up trying 😞

Johann

Apr 12, 2022
I agree there are differences and to truly understand God's word we need to understand those differences. God used the words He gave us for a reason, so I like to stick to them and not venture to far away.

Yes, when the apostles were infilled with the HS that is what Jesus told them would happen: but you will be baptized WITH the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” We know they received the HS directly from God and it was evident by the speaking in tongues. Jesus called this baptized WITH the HS.

Later in Acts 4 when Peter gets up to speak the bible says: Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them,
It's obvious he wasn't again baptized with the HS so this is something different.

This isn't really where I would like this thread to go but maybe it needs to be said to clear things up.
Now as you mentioned, we do see people getting gifts of the HS for specific, as you say particular task. The way we see them getting those gifts is by the laying of the apostles hands.
Acts 8:18 Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money,
2 Tim. 1:6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands,

What I'm looking for is someone to explain baptism OF/BY the HS.
BAPTISM

Baptism in the Jewish life

Baptism was a common rite among Jews of the first and second century A.D.
preparation for worship at the temple (i.e., cleansing rite)
the self baptism of proselytes

If someone from a Gentile background were to become a full child of Israel, he had to accomplish three tasks:

circumcision, if male
self-baptism by immersion, in the presence of three witnesses
sacrifice in the temple
an act of purification (cf. Leviticus 15)

In sectarian groups of first century Palestine, such as the Essenes, baptism was apparently a common, repeated experience. However, to mainline Judaism, John’s baptism of repentance would have been humiliating for a natural child of Abraham to undergo a Gentile acceptance ritual.

Some OT precedents can be cited for ceremonial washing.
as a symbol of spiritual cleansing (cf. Isa. 1:16)
as a regular ritual performed by the priests (cf. Exodus 19:10; Leviticus 16)

It should be noted that all other baptisms in first century Jewish culture were self-administered. Only John the Baptist's call for baptism involved him as an evaluator (cf. Matt. 3:7-12) and administrator of this act of repentance (cf. Matt. 3:6).

Baptism in the Church
Theological Purposes
forgiveness of sin ‒ Acts 2:38; 22:16
reception of Holy Spirit ‒ Acts 2:38 (Acts 10:44-48)
union with Christ ‒ Gal. 3:26-27
membership in church ‒ 1 Cor. 12:13
symbol of a spiritual turning ‒ 1 Pet. 3:20-21
symbol of a spiritual death and resurrection ‒ Rom. 6:1-5

Baptism was the early church’s opportunity for a person’s public profession (or confession). It was/is not the mechanism for salvation, but the occasion of the verbal affirmation of faith (i.e., probably, "Jesus is Lord," cf. Rom. 10:9-13). Remember the early church had no buildings and met in homes or often in secret places because of persecution.

Many commentators have asserted that 1 Peter is a baptismal sermon. Although this is possible, it is not the only option. It is true that Peter often uses baptism as a crucial act of faith (cf. Acts 2:38,41;10:47). However, it was/is not a sacramental event, but a faith event, symbolizing death, burial, and resurrection as the believer identifies with Christ’s own experience (cf. Rom. 6:7-9; Col. 2:12). The act is symbolic, not sacramental; the act is the occasion of profession, not the mechanism of salvation.

Baptism and Repentance in Acts 2:38

Curtis Vaughan, Commentary on Acts, has an interesting footnote on p. 28 related to Acts 2:38.

"The Greek word for ‘baptized’ is a third person imperative; the word for ‘repent,’ a second person imperative. This change from the more direct second person command to the less direct third person of ‘baptized’ implies that Peter’s basic primary demand is for repentance."

This follows the preaching emphasis of John the Baptist (cf. Matt. 3:2) and Jesus (cf. Matt. 4:17). Repentance seems to be a spiritual key and baptism is an outward expression of this spiritual change. The New Testament knew nothing of unbaptized believers! To the early church baptism was the public profession of faith. It is the occasion for the public confession of faith in Christ, not the mechanism for salvation! It needs to be remembered that baptism is not mentioned in Peter’s second sermon, though repentance is (cf. Acts 3:19; Luke 24:17). Baptism was an example set by Jesus (cf. Matt. 3:13-18). Baptism was commanded by Jesus (cf. Matt. 28:19). The modern question of the necessity of baptism for salvation is not addressed in the New Testament; all believers are expected to be baptized. However, one must also guard against a sacramental mechanicalism! Salvation is a faith issue, not a right-place, right-words, right-ritual act issue!

The exact mode of Christian baptism nor the administration is as important as the repentant, believing heart of the person being baptized. It is true that the etymology of the Greek VERB is "to dip" or "to plunge." But remember, etymology is not always a good way to denote current usage. The NT examples of baptism could be
immersion
pouring
sprinkling
For me, the time element is a more significant theological issue than mode.

This what you are looking for-or shall we read the Koine Greek text?

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Thanks for your advice I appreciate it.
It seems so hard to be accepted in the church. I give up trying 😞
Precious friend, sorry to hear this; I will pray for you.
If I may make a kind suggestion:

email: Berean Bible Society

They may have a list of churches/small study groups in your area who
would gladly accept you with no traditional rules of water baptism
attached. ie:

We believe we are "members of The Body Of Christ," "members one of
another" by our mutual "faith in The Lord Jesus Christ," not by church
traditions of [OT] water to be "members" which is nullified by
God's Word Of:

ONE [ Spiritual ] Baptism

For us, Today, Under God's Amazing Grace!

Amen.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Sorry all but just a quick question about water baptism...when a person has been baptised as an adult in water should they ever be baptised again? Many thanks 🥰
Sometimes churches baptize people as a requirement of membership. If the adult was baptized for such a reason I encourage them to be baptized in water again. Verbal repentance from a life of sin should occur before water baptism.

There are some who have requested water baptism after having overcome a serious difficulty in their lives. I oblige them. They use their water baptism as sort of an Ebeneezer (memorial) of their trial. This is good for their soul.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023

attached. ie:

God's Word Of:

Amen.
Mark 16:16

New International Version

16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England

attached. ie:

God's Word Of:

Amen.
Thanks for your help and your prayers 🥰
I love reading the Gospels because the Lord Jesus accept people for who they are and he turns no one away. Some churches teach human rules as though they were Gods rules. So wrong

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
1st, the OP asked a question about Spiritual baptism vs water baptism. The only way one can be saved is if Jesus baptizes them with His Holy Spirit. Water neither removes sin or saves.
I suggest water is required to remove sins. Consider the conversion of Paul. After everything, Ananias says "why do you wait?" Wait for what? To believe? He then says Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’ Baptism in the name of Jesus is calling on Jesus to save you.

2ndly, I agree all versions aren't the same, some being more clear then others. Having said that, I believe, any version is good enough to lead one to salvation. God's Word is quick/alive (Heb 4:12) & doesn't reteun to Him void. It will ultimately accomplish whatever He intends it to (Isa 40:8, Matt 24:35)

The version you posted 1 Cor 12:13 with say's, baptized IN. Most versions say BY the Holy Spirit. I believe BY is a more clear teaching. That was the point I tried to articulate.
Baptism is mentioned 3 other times in 1 Corinthians. Are those water or spirit baptisms?

3rdly, another verse I cited (Col 2:11) say's: In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision """made without hands""". Water baptism requires hands. Spiritual baptism requires Christ' H/S.
He says circumcision "made without hands" not baptism made without hands. He tells us how we are circumcised without hands. having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.

Understanding the Acts 2 Pentecost/Jews only H/S outpouring & Rom 10/Cornelius house. Where the door to gentile salvation is opened. Are necessary to the subject matter. There is a clear inversion from the: Be baptized & receive the H/S to being baptized Spiritually them partaking in water baptism.
Yes, Pentecost and the first Gentiles were special situations. The first being the beginning of the church and the second giving the Jews irrefutable proof the Gentiles were now to be considered God's chosen people as well as the Jews.

Mosaic law (no person alive today is or has ever been under Mosaic law). It had numerous ritual/water purification requirements. (Ex 39:4; Ex 30:19-21; Ex 40:12; Lev 6:27; Lev 13:54, Lev 13:58; Lev 14:8-9; Levs 15:16; Lev 16:4, Lev 16:24; Lev 22:6.)
True and each had a specific purpose.

Act 15:
8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;

9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
(MY COMMENT: Peter is explaining to Jews that God GAVE/BAPTIZED the Gentiles with/by/in His Holy Spirit purifying them based on FAITH ALONE.
This is the second time Peter talks about this one conversion. The fist time he said this As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning. Peter hadn't seen this happen since Pentecost. Each time was directly from God and evident by speaking in tongues. The bible tells us this is "baptized WITH the Hs". Only 2 times we see it and each was a special situation.

Jesus and only Jesus can purify/baptize believers (Matt 3:11, Lk 3:16, Mk 1:8, Acts 11:16) with His eternal salvation sealing (2 Cor 1:22, 2 Tim 1:14, 2 Cor 5:5.) indwelling Holy Spirit.
True. Sealing is ownership and authority. How do we call on Jesus's name for salvation?

After Spiritual baptizm comes water baptism. A visible outwardly exercise expressing one's inner change, dedication & commitment.
What passage would you use to support baptism is an "outward xercise expressing one's inner change, dedication & commitment"?

Acts 11:19 Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the """Jews only""".
(MY COMMENT: Here Paul is still Saul, Peter hasn't had the (Acts 10:9-16) vision that sends him to Cornelius (the gentiles) house. Here the salvation message is 100% to Israel/Jews, to include the risen Jesus message found in (Matt 28:19-20) 100% Jewish!)
Are you saying Paul didn't baptize believers just as Jesus instructed the 12?

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
I understand I am very late to this thread but I just wanted to tell you what I have learned from it. water baptism as muc as it is coincided with spiritual does not seem to be in the same realm Everytime water baptism aside from when Jesus was water baptized seems to be more of a physical act, I mean when you were baptized do you recall the soothing sensation the cooling of your physical body the life flowing through the waters doing so much more than inspire or create that fire in you?

If water baptism is as it sohlud be then those living waters Jesus spoke of that you will never quench again can we ask ourselves and conclude this? was he all talk what was the reason he spoke in such an insane way? even back then this is insane talk especially so to a gentile of all people but he said it as he did

I dob't know if you ever felt this water but imagine everything you feel you lacking your body soul mind and in return all you feel is this coolness and soft feeling on your skin beimg so clean and pure you fail to understand how you ever thought you and sin had anything to do with each other

How every ounce of weainess physical emotional spiritual it doesnt matter just clean life How many baptisms do you hear about that can express this in such a manner? The sad thing is I am still waiting for this spiritual water either way the only thing that decides what it is is your bond with him

I think of clean soothing waters feeling so good on your skin soul and spirit filled with life but if you ask anyone else can they say the same thing?
Never to late to join the fun.

I'm sorry but I don't use emotion to determine truth. I don't trust emotions either. I only trust in God's word, the living water. It's what will judge us in the last day. 48 The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.

What does God's word tell us about baptism?
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, I believe Jesus.
It also tells us baptism saves us.
Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God [p]for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
It washes away our sins.
Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins by calling on His name.’
How does it wash away sin, by putting us into Christ.
Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
BAPTISM

Baptism in the Jewish life

Baptism was a common rite among Jews of the first and second century A.D.
preparation for worship at the temple (i.e., cleansing rite)
the self baptism of proselytes

If someone from a Gentile background were to become a full child of Israel, he had to accomplish three tasks:

circumcision, if male
self-baptism by immersion, in the presence of three witnesses
sacrifice in the temple
an act of purification (cf. Leviticus 15)

In sectarian groups of first century Palestine, such as the Essenes, baptism was apparently a common, repeated experience. However, to mainline Judaism, John’s baptism of repentance would have been humiliating for a natural child of Abraham to undergo a Gentile acceptance ritual.

Some OT precedents can be cited for ceremonial washing.
as a symbol of spiritual cleansing (cf. Isa. 1:16)
as a regular ritual performed by the priests (cf. Exodus 19:10; Leviticus 16)

It should be noted that all other baptisms in first century Jewish culture were self-administered. Only John the Baptist's call for baptism involved him as an evaluator (cf. Matt. 3:7-12) and administrator of this act of repentance (cf. Matt. 3:6).

Baptism in the Church
Theological Purposes
forgiveness of sin ‒ Acts 2:38; 22:16
reception of Holy Spirit ‒ Acts 2:38 (Acts 10:44-48)
union with Christ ‒ Gal. 3:26-27
membership in church ‒ 1 Cor. 12:13
symbol of a spiritual turning ‒ 1 Pet. 3:20-21
symbol of a spiritual death and resurrection ‒ Rom. 6:1-5

Baptism was the early church’s opportunity for a person’s public profession (or confession). It was/is not the mechanism for salvation, but the occasion of the verbal affirmation of faith (i.e., probably, "Jesus is Lord," cf. Rom. 10:9-13). Remember the early church had no buildings and met in homes or often in secret places because of persecution.

Many commentators have asserted that 1 Peter is a baptismal sermon. Although this is possible, it is not the only option. It is true that Peter often uses baptism as a crucial act of faith (cf. Acts 2:38,41;10:47). However, it was/is not a sacramental event, but a faith event, symbolizing death, burial, and resurrection as the believer identifies with Christ’s own experience (cf. Rom. 6:7-9; Col. 2:12). The act is symbolic, not sacramental; the act is the occasion of profession, not the mechanism of salvation.

Baptism and Repentance in Acts 2:38

Curtis Vaughan, Commentary on Acts, has an interesting footnote on p. 28 related to Acts 2:38.

"The Greek word for ‘baptized’ is a third person imperative; the word for ‘repent,’ a second person imperative. This change from the more direct second person command to the less direct third person of ‘baptized’ implies that Peter’s basic primary demand is for repentance."

This follows the preaching emphasis of John the Baptist (cf. Matt. 3:2) and Jesus (cf. Matt. 4:17). Repentance seems to be a spiritual key and baptism is an outward expression of this spiritual change. The New Testament knew nothing of unbaptized believers! To the early church baptism was the public profession of faith. It is the occasion for the public confession of faith in Christ, not the mechanism for salvation! It needs to be remembered that baptism is not mentioned in Peter’s second sermon, though repentance is (cf. Acts 3:19; Luke 24:17). Baptism was an example set by Jesus (cf. Matt. 3:13-18). Baptism was commanded by Jesus (cf. Matt. 28:19). The modern question of the necessity of baptism for salvation is not addressed in the New Testament; all believers are expected to be baptized. However, one must also guard against a sacramental mechanicalism! Salvation is a faith issue, not a right-place, right-words, right-ritual act issue!

The exact mode of Christian baptism nor the administration is as important as the repentant, believing heart of the person being baptized. It is true that the etymology of the Greek VERB is "to dip" or "to plunge." But remember, etymology is not always a good way to denote current usage. The NT examples of baptism could be
immersion
pouring
sprinkling
For me, the time element is a more significant theological issue than mode.

This what you are looking for-or shall we read the Koine Greek text?
No need to go to the Koine Greek unless you think I need it. Thanks for the well thought out input.
What do you mean by the time element being more important?

You said the administration of baptism isn't as important as the believing heart. I believe it takes both to be saved.
That is what Jesus said Himself.
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved

vassal

Jan 20, 2024
You need to find another church , they are deceiving you. Your instincts are right, they are wrong to ask of you to get water baptized a second time, the truth is not with them.

Peace

Johann

Apr 12, 2022
Testing the waters I see-forgetting the what goeth before-what followeth after-to whom and with what circumstances.

Hear God’s plain statement: “There is one
Body.” Ephesians 4:4.

Romans 12:4 and 5:
“For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
“So we, being many, are one Body in Christ, and every one members one of another.”

Yes, God has but one true Bible Church in this particular age of grace, and the one Head
of that one Body is the Lord Jesus Christ the Son of God in heaven.

I Corinthians 12:13:
“For by one Spirit are we all BAPTIZED into one Body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles,
whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into
one Spirit.”

Ephesians 2:15:
“Having abolished in His flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in
ordinances; for to make in Himself of twain ONE NEW MAN, so making peace.”
“One Body”—“The New Man”—“Christ and His Church one Flesh”. Ephesians 5:30 and

We repeat that the one and only Head of the one true Body (Church) is the Lord Jesus
Christ Who is in the heavens. Ephesians 1:19 to 22. In striving to emerge from the dark ages
denominationalism undoubtedly has been unavoidable. In some instances it has safeguarded
weak and ignorant Christians. But surely it has been the trick of Satan to cover up the glorious
truths in God’s Book concerning the hope, calling, program and destiny of the one true Bible
Church which is the Body of Christ.

In speaking of the sad spectacle of the Church on earth, so hopelessly divided that
nothing but the coming of Christ can ever bring His saints together, we are not referring to the
division known as “Roman Catholicism” and “Protestantism.” The Romanists claim over two
hundred million adherents. They are so completely Judaized that the communicants have to be
saved in spite of the perverted doctrines and unscriptural practices included in their ritualistic
religion. There is utterly no hope for them except as the individual Romanist is delivered by the
gospel of the grace of God from his mixture of Judaism, Christianity and paganism.

The ritualism of Romanism came as a result of that which began in the day of the
apostles. Read the issue of the Jerusalem council, in Acts 15, and note the question in Acts 15:10
and the decision of that council in Acts 15:24 to 29. We quote the question.

Acts 15:10:“Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, whichneither our fathers nor we were able to bear?”

Then note the words from the Holy Spirit by the pen of Paul: “A little leaven leaveneth
the whole lump.” Galatians 5:9.

The ritualism, fanaticism, religious legalism and “salvation by
works” movements in Christendom have come as a result of the leaven of Judaism, mixing
Israel’s program into the “grace” program which the risen Christ gave to Paul.

Paul speaks of himself, in the first person pronoun, about 1,200 times in the Bible. He
had a most unique ministry, as he had a unique conversion, and very special dispensations. Note
these words:

Ephesians 3:1 and 2:
“For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, if ye have heard of
the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward.

For several centuries Christians have been emerging from the corrupted Christianity of
the dark ages and the progress has been very slow. Christians, trying to escape from one
religious blunder, have gone into another, and denominationalism and tradition have much
retarded the recovery of “Body” truth and hindered in the matter of obeying II Timothy 2:15 for
the intelligent, Scriptural selection of God’s spiritual program for members of the Body of
Christ, so that members might walk worthy of the calling wherewith they are called. Ephesians
4:1.

Virtually every group, assembly or organization of Evangelical Christians has
incorporated in its Church creeds and instructed its members to practice, something Israelitish;
something of religion which the Lord never intended for the period of grace. The selection from
the Bible of that which belongs to God’s spiritual program and the rejection of that which does
not belong is sometimes no easy task. But surely God has some intelligent Scriptural principle,
in obedience to II Timothy 2:15, by which the Spirit-taught student of the Scriptures may know
how to appropriate and apply the Scriptures to walk well pleasing unto the Lord. Quite
frequently the members of one denomination, who have their established denominational
program, are ungraciously intolerant with the members of another denomination, whose
denominational creed and practices differ in some details, even though the members of both
denominations may agree as to the inspiration of the Scriptures, the eternal Deity of the Lord
Jesus Christ, salvation by faith in Christ’s redemptive work and in other fundamental doctrines.

Right?
J.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
I suggest water is required to remove sins. Consider the conversion of Paul. After everything, Ananias says "why do you wait?" Wait for what? To believe? He then says Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’ Baptism in the name of Jesus is calling on Jesus to save you.

Baptism is mentioned 3 other times in 1 Corinthians. Are those water or spirit baptisms?

He says circumcision "made without hands" not baptism made without hands. He tells us how we are circumcised without hands. having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.

Yes, Pentecost and the first Gentiles were special situations. The first being the beginning of the church and the second giving the Jews irrefutable proof the Gentiles were now to be considered God's chosen people as well as the Jews.

True and each had a specific purpose.

This is the second time Peter talks about this one conversion. The fist time he said this As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning. Peter hadn't seen this happen since Pentecost. Each time was directly from God and evident by speaking in tongues. The bible tells us this is "baptized WITH the Hs". Only 2 times we see it and each was a special situation.

True. Sealing is ownership and authority. How do we call on Jesus's name for salvation?

What passage would you use to support baptism is an "outward xercise expressing one's inner change, dedication & commitment"?

Are you saying Paul didn't baptize believers just as Jesus instructed the 12?
Water baptism isn't a work that somehow earns salvation.

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
(MY COMMENT: The key to this verse is found in the article "TOWARD". Repentance TOWARD God & faith TOWARD Christ)

HOW TO ACCESS SALVATION:
Change your mind from UNBELIEF. Acknowledging that God IS & that you've sinned against a sovereign creators rule & are in need of a savior. Turning TOWARD God, when mixed with FAITH toward/in Christ's sin atoning death. The result will be a change of actions.

THE GOSPEL/GOOD NEWS OF JESUS CHRIST:
1 Cor 15:
1 Now brothers and sisters, let me remind you [once again] of the good news [of salvation] which I preached to you, which you welcomed and accepted and on which you stand [by faith].

2 By this faith you are saved [reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, and set apart for His purpose], if you hold firmly to the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain [just superficially and without complete commitment].

3 For I passed on to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to [that which] the Scriptures [foretold],

4 and that He was buried, and that He was [bodily] raised on the third day according to [that which] the Scriptures [foretold],

PARSING:
Vs 1, ""The good news of SALVATION"" preached to you, ""which you accepted by FAITH"". (NO H2O NEEDED!)

Vs 2, You were SAVED by FAITH & reborn from above, spiritually transformed, renewed & set apart for His purpose. (NO H2O NEEDED!)

Vs 3, The most ""important"" SALVATION information needed is: (Vs 3) Christ died for our sins (Vs 4) was buried & He was raised on the 3rd day.

Synopsis: The gospel/good news whereby you are SAVED by FAITH placed in: Christ' sin atoning sacrifice/offering/payment: He died/Shedding His sinless perpetually cleansing (Heb 10:14) God blood, was buried & rose on the 3rd day. (Father receipt, sins required payment received & accepted. (NO H2O NEEDED!)

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed "ye were sealed with that holy Spirit'' of promise
(MY COMMENT: You heard & BELIEVED about Jesus sin atoning payment & resurrection. Then (Matt 3:11, Mk 1:8, Lk 3:16) by Jesus, you were <PAST TENSE > SEALED with God's promised Gift of His FOREVER (Jn 14:16) SALVATION SEALING (Eph 1:13-14, 4:30, 2 Cor 1:22, 5:5, 2 Tim 1:14) indwelling Holy Spirit.)

Rom 10:
8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of FAITH, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt BELIEVE in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou SHALT be SAVED. 1 Cor 15:
(MY COMMENT: Confess Jesus as Lord, BELIEVE He was Raised from the dead. For with the heart man BELIEVES unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation & NO H2O NEEDED!).

Eph 2:8 For it is by grace [God’s remarkable compassion and favor drawing you to Christ] that you HAVE BEEN SAVED [actually delivered from judgment and given eternal life] through FAITH. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [not through your own effort], but it is the [undeserved, gracious] gift of God;
(MY COMMENT: We accessed God's GRACE thru FAITH. Also see Rom 5:1-2 & NO H2O NEEDED!)

9 not as a result of [your] works [nor your attempts to keep the Law], so that no one will [be able to] boast or take credit in any way [for his salvation].
(MY COMMENT: No SELF-WORKS = water baptism)

Heb 9:22 In fact under the Law almost everything is cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness [neither release from sin and its guilt, nor cancellation of the merited punishment].
(MY COMMENT: WATER BAPTISM doesn't/can't remit/pardon sin. Repentance doesn't/can't remit/pardon sin. Only FAITH in Jesus sin atoning BLOOD sacrifice/death & resurrection)

The only way to remove the sin stain from a soul. Is faith placed in Jesus finished/Law Fulfilling sin atoning/propitiatory sacrifice.

Rev 1:5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful and trustworthy Witness, the Firstborn of the dead, and the Ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who [always] loves us and who [has once for all] freed us [or washed us] from our sins by His own blood (His sacrificial death)
MY COMMENT: Our sins are washed away by FAITH placed in Jesus sin atoning blood. NO H2O needed)

LIVING WATER: (Jn 4:10, 6:35, 7:37-39, Jer 17:13, Ps 36:7-9)

Living Water:
Jn 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
(MY COMMENT: In the last day, that great day of the feast = Day 8, Feast of Tabernacles)

Jn 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
(MY COMMENT: All the Samaritan woman had to do was believe & ASK. All anyone need do, is BELIEVE & ASK!)

Jn 7:
37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water

39 But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.
(MY COMMENT: The Living Water is Christ's salvation/sealing, eternal life giving, indwelling Holy Spirit. The invitation to drink of His Living Water/Holy Spirit is open to anyone that believes/trusts in Christ's sin atoning payment._

All thanksgiving, praise, glory & honor belongs to Christ our Lord!

Johann

Apr 12, 2022
No need to go to the Koine Greek unless you think I need it. Thanks for the well thought out input.
What do you mean by the time element being more important?

You said the administration of baptism isn't as important as the believing heart. I believe it takes both to be saved.
Baptized into one body - Many suppose that there is reference here to the ordinance of baptism by water.

But the connection seems rather to require us to understand it of the baptism of the Holy Spirit Mat_3:11; and if so, it means, that by the agency of the Holy Spirit, they had all been suited, each to his appropriate place, to constitute the body of Christ - the church.

If, however, it refers to the ordinance of baptism, as Bloomfield, Calvin, Doddridge, etc. suppose, then it means, that by the very profession of religion as made at baptism, by there being but one baptism Eph_4:5, they had all professedly become members of one and the same body.

The former interpretation, however, seems to me best to suit the connection.

After all-the OP is about spiritual baptism-no water required.

Shalom
J.