Spiritual Dryness- a christians most hated season

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
23,049
4,101
113
Spiritual dryness, a season in which we are for a time walking without feeling God's presence or feelings of love. to many of us this itself is torture , I mean why wouldn't it be? Being in the presence of the Lord is wonderful and makes feel strong in him. I have been in a dry season for perhaps a week or so, I am not sure. It used to be i would go through a dry season for no more than three or so days if even that. However every now and then for a short time God brings me back into his presence for maybe an hour or two. I believe he does this to keep us going, to keep fighting in our journey through the dryness. anyone who has gone through long dry seasons knows how hard it can be to keep going. So what do we do in these long periods of dry seasons? How do we keep strong and what do you think the reason for it is? I will explain these three things if you are willing to keep reading.


#1 what do we do in these long periods of dry seasons. In these long dryness seasons it is very tempting to give up and perhaps take a break until the season is over. But this is not the answer to the problem. What we should do in these seasons is seek the father even more so than normal and pray constantly. read scripture to keep us strong and listen to all sorts of christian music.

#2 How do we keep strong? Well as explained in the first question we seek him even more so, pray constantly read scripture and listen to christian music. We also can keep strong by being still. sometimes it takes silence and stillness in order to make it through the dryness. God constantly speaks encouragement in his word about these seasons. he understands how hard it can be. Go online and type in encouraging scripture and you will find thousands of scripture of the lord saying to be strong and trust him.

#3 what is the reason for the dryness? The reason for the dryness is not just one reason. when we go into the dryness it is for several reasons not one. #1 to show us and teach us not to rely on feelings.#2 It is almost always a spiritual growth spurt so rejoice.#3Sometimes it is just us who walked away from him#4 It is always a test of our faith.

There are many other reasons but I have made quite a long post already so I will stop here for now
 
Thanks so much. I can't relate your age with your posts, but I know it's the HOly Spirit speaking through you. Your a Tsunami Tremendous Blessing, and I am Thankfull. I feel fead and full always from the Word. Hugs...
 
Thank you for the insight Blain. I'm going through that right now. I feel as though I'm doing something wrong because God is unresponsive or that he really "doesn't care." I know what I have to do now. Thumbs up Blain.
 
Well written post although I would like to add two bits. Another wonderful way of feeling closer to God is by submerging yourself within his creation, nature. Another is noticing the intricate beauty within his creation both nature and animals. I would also like to add that although there are times that He may not feel present He is. Think of the poem footprints ;-)
 
I've been in a spiritual dry spell on and off. It feels so stagnant and off course. I'll admit, my flesh was at fault and I wasn't secure in my identity in Him. Church, serving others, reading my Bible, and praying helped briefly but then I would go back into that "slump". I have failed to truly seek Him like I should, but about a month ago, God spoke to my heart and revived a commitment in me to be in His presence more. I was CONSTANTLY relying on my feelings instead of feeding my fears with the Word of God. Something I'm learning to do(slowly) is every morning, I wake up and thank God for being alive, His creation, and everlasting love, faithfulness, patience, kindness, and understanding. I make note cards where I'll write Scripture verses to meditate on and pray back to God. As well as inspirational quotes I found online and my very own quotes. I've been reading a devotional called Our Daily Bread, and in a journal, I listed on my identity in Christ and recite them out loud and just spend time praying, praising, humming Christian songs, and read Scripture. They've all really helped motivate me to plug into God's Word. I'm still slowly in the process of "listening" to God but I'm getting a little bit better. :D It's all about progress, not perfection. There's a few books I'm reading right now, one of them is called Make It Happen by Lara Casey and One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. Both are very encouraging and helping me in my faith. I know I wrote a lot and I could keep going but hopefully any one of these suggestions will help someone. There are tons of Bible verses to pray when you're in a slump. Psalms is an awesome place to look.
 
Last edited:
ChristCenteredGirl;bt20999 said:
I've been in a spiritual dry spell on and off. It feels so stagnant and off course. I'll admit, my flesh was at fault and I wasn't secure in my identity in Him. Church, serving others, reading my Bible, and praying helped briefly but then I would go back into that "slump". I have failed to truly seek Him like I should, but about a month ago, God spoke to my heart and revived a commitment in me to be in His presence more. I was CONSTANTLY relying on my feelings instead of feeding my fears with the Word of God. Something I'm learning to do(slowly) is every morning, I wake up and thank God for being alive, His creation, and everlasting love, faithfulness, patience, kindness, and understanding. I make note cards where I'll write Scripture verses to meditate on and pray back to God. As well as inspirational quotes I found online and my very own quotes. I've been reading a devotional called Our Daily Bread, and in a journal, I listed on my identity in Christ and recite them out loud and just spend time praying, praising, humming Christian songs, and read Scripture. They've all really helped motivate me to plug into God's Word. I'm still slowly in the process of "listening" to God but I'm getting a little bit better. :D It's all about progress, not perfection. There's a few books I'm reading right now, one of them is called Make It Happen by Lara Casey and One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. Both are very encouraging and helping me in my faith. I know I wrote a lot and I could keep going but hopefully any one of these suggestions will help someone. There are tons of Bible verses to pray when you're in a slump. Psalms is an awesome place to look.
Another 'Book" that you may find very, very interesting is by a "fella" mentioned by God whose name was, is, Enoch. here is where you can find it - Book of Enoch | Read online or download the Book of Enoch PDF, EPUB or .MOBI (Kindle)