SPIRITUAL FITNESS

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

bluearchimedes

Junior Member
Jul 4, 2016
19
4
3
I can remember physical education class well…maybe, too well. Our gym teacher (coach) would make us do exercises before we started playing whatever sport he had in mind. The push-ups were fairly simple, but the sit-ups were a grind. Jumping jacks were always fun, but those ten laps around the gym were too much for an asthmatic like me to handle. So, I would run five laps and then walk the next five. The coach never said anything about it. I guess as long as I was getting my heart pumping, that was all that mattered.

In 1 Timothy 4, the Apostle Paul serves as a coach to his young ministerial protégé Timothy. In verse 7 (NLT), he tells Timothy to “spend [his] time and energy training [himself] for spiritual fitness.” Spiritual fitness consists of the disciplines required for being an effective follower of Jesus Christ. In Timothy’s case, he was to train to be a dynamic minister of the Gospel. The Apostle Paul continues by reminding Timothy that “[p]hysical training has some value, but spiritual exercise is much more important, for it promises a reward in both this life and the next” (v. 8, NLT).

I have a friend who is physically well-built. He has “guns” (bulging bicep and tricep muscles), six-pack abs, and a lean physique. He is an amazing specimen of what physical exercise can do. I asked him what he did to look like that. He replied, “Eat right (avoid carbs), lift weights, and do at least 500 crunches (abdominal exercises) a day. I can barely do twenty crunches let alone 500, but if I want to be in top physical shape like my friend, I will have to take the time to perform these exercises.

But, what does physical exercise do for the spirit? Does it make it stronger? Does it enhance its performance? I don’t think so. So, what are some spiritual exercises that we can do to promote spiritual fitness?

  1. Study God’s Word. In 2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV), the Apostle Paul states, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” When we study God’s Word, we gain a better understanding of what He is trying to say to us.
  2. Meditate on God’s Word. To meditate means to think about something very deeply. As we continue to read a passage of scripture and really think what it means, God will give us insight.
  3. Pray. Prayer is a spiritual exercise that most Christians (even myself at times) take for granted. However, 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (KJV) tells us, “Pray without ceasing.” Even if we are not praying directly over an issue, we can still be in a prayerful attitude.
  4. Thanksgiving. Giving thanks to God for even the smallest blessing gives Him the honor He deserves. We can thank God for being able to wake up each morning to do His will. We can thank Him for giving us the mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual strength needed to do His will. I encourage you to find other reasons to thank God.

Indeed, spiritual fitness will benefit us in this life and in the life to come. What better reward is there when we lead a lost friend or loved one to Jesus Christ than when we are in Heaven with that person? Also, spiritual fitness is addictive. The more you do it, the more you will want to do it. Since I have been studying God’s Word to prepare messages and Christian essays, I have found that I cannot wait to study again the next day. God’s Word is that exciting!

I do not think I will ever have a lean physique like my friend, but that is okay. I want to have a strong spiritual mind and heart that yearns to draw nearer to God each day. I encourage you to start and maintain a spiritual fitness program today.