Sporting Christians

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 19, 2023
So sporting Christians. I see that there are some who deride female sports like the WNBA by making fun of the play and/or attendance. This happens in pro soccer as well with an example being of the claim of how a team of 15-year-old boys handily beat a women's pro team. It's all a joke to them.

I understand that males generally are stronger and faster than females in sport due to biological differences. And that's okay since it's apples compared to apples, not apples to oranges I believe. I look at it in terms of the parameters of biology. In other words, which females excel compared to other females in terms of their biology, and males to males in terms of theirs. Hadn't God made females in His image as well? I believe so.

So the issue it seems to me for some deriders is the idea from others that females are equal to men in sport, generally meaning that they ought to be paid equally to men when for leagues it's the market determining revenue for the most part. That I understand. National teams, however . . . .

In any case, my point? It seems to me strange that some deriders are suddenly supportive of female pro teams and female athletes in general when the issue of "trans" comes into it. If they don't want to see "biological men" competing with biological females to preserve exclusively female teams and events and at the same time are so enamoured with their male athletes, why not have transgender males in female sports? No limit.

Why now so supportive of something they claim is a joke - - female team sport? They can have their cake eaten. Biological men appearing as women dominating women in arenas. Is the derision in part sporting male narcissism?

para . . . .

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
So sporting Christians. I see that there are some who deride female sports like the WNBA by making fun of the play and/or attendance. This happens in pro soccer as well with an example being of the claim of how a team of 15-year-old boys handily beat a women's pro team. It's all a joke to them.

I understand that males generally are stronger and faster than females in sport due to biological differences. And that's okay since it's apples compared to apples, not apples to oranges I believe. I look at it in terms of the parameters of biology. In other words, which females excel compared to other females in terms of their biology, and males to males in terms of theirs. Hadn't God made females in His image as well? I believe so.

So the issue it seems to me for some deriders is the idea from others that females are equal to men in sport, generally meaning that they ought to be paid equally to men when for leagues it's the market determining revenue for the most part. That I understand. National teams, however . . . .

In any case, my point? It seems to me strange that some deriders are suddenly supportive of female pro teams and female athletes in general when the issue of "trans" comes into it. If they don't want to see "biological men" competing with biological females to preserve exclusively female teams and events and at the same time are so enamoured with their male athletes, why not have transgender males in female sports? No limit.

Why now so supportive of something they claim is a joke - - female team sport? They can have their cake eaten. Biological men appearing as women dominating women in arenas. Is the derision in part sporting male narcissism?

para . . . .
It's 2 different issues to me. Either I enjoy watching or playing a sport or I do not. That's a separate issue from having males compete against women and calling men women. And the transgender issue goes far beyond mere competition. It promotes a lie. It also opens women up to men to view them in vulnerable situations. It is further accepting behavior that is clearly harmful to the individual currently and potentially eternally.
Even if you believe some are acting hypocritically in one regard, how does acting falsely in another remedy the situation?

Jun 19, 2023
Cameron143 said:

It's 2 different issues to me. Either I enjoy watching or playing a sport or I do not. That's a separate issue from having males compete against women and calling men women. And the transgender issue goes far beyond mere competition. It promotes a lie. It also opens women up to men to view them in vulnerable situations. It is further accepting behavior that is clearly harmful to the individual currently and potentially eternally.
Even if you believe some are acting hypocritically in one regard, how does acting falsely in another remedy the situation?
It doesn't. An intentional absurd conclusion was given which applied to its limit might cancel female sport altogether.

Too much male narcissism in sport which has some deriding female athletes in contrast? Whether one prefers one to the other might not be a reason for it.

para . . . .

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Cameron143 said:

It doesn't. An intentional absurd conclusion was given which applied to its limit might cancel female sport altogether.

Too much male narcissism in sport which has some deriding female athletes in contrast? Whether one prefers one to the other might not be a reason for it.

para . . . .
There is plenty of narcissism in sports and most competitive endeavors. To some degree, it is what spurs competitive drive and success.
As far as male narcissism, that's hardly new or limited to sport, and unlikely to go away anytime soon.

Tall_Timbers

Mar 31, 2023
Cheyenne WY
christiancommunityforum.com
I like soccer. I've watched the Women's World Cup more often than I've watched the men's, but frankly watching the women is like watching a middle of the road high school team at best. It's really only interesting to watch if you have a child in the game.

Jun 19, 2023
Cameron143 - ^

Indeed, what you wrote above.

The thing is if it's so, why is it employed to deride female sport, especially by some Christian men instead of supporting their Christian sisters (and all female athletes) or at least laying off of them by preference?

para . . . .

Jun 19, 2023
Tall_Timbers - ^

I kind of forget the comparison to the men's game as I watch the women's game when it's being well-played. I've seen some lousy men's matches too.

As you likely know, some European clubs have their male and female sides. I watch what I can get of the English Super League. There were some terrific matches there. And I'm glad that the women are finally being awarded Ballon D'Ors.

para . . . .

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Cameron143 - ^

Indeed, what you wrote above.

The thing is if it's so, why is it employed to deride female sport, especially by some Christian men instead of supporting their Christian sisters (and all female athletes) or at least laying off of them by preference?

para . . . .
I haven't noticed that amongst Christians...only in general.

Jun 19, 2023
Cameron143 - ^

I can think of three prominent right-of-center media personalities (all Christians) with large followings who have done what I've expressed above - - gratuitously derided or mocked the WNBA while being strongly opposed to trans athletes in female sport. They did this on the net, not TV.

Why the need to knock women to have men on the high horse this way? Sad. Why not just say that they prefer watching faster, more powerful performances and leave it at that?

Some can watch both.

para . . . .

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Cameron143 - ^

I can think of three prominent right-of-center media personalities (all Christians) with large followings who have done what I've expressed above - - gratuitously derided or mocked the WNBA while being strongly opposed to trans athletes in female sport. They did this on the net, not TV.

Why the need to knock women to have men on the high horse this way? Sad. Why not just say that they prefer watching faster, more powerful performances and leave it at that?

Some can watch both.

para . . . .
There's never an excuse for poor behavior. And I can't speak to what I haven't heard. As Christians we should be in the business of building up and not tearing down. But neither do we to take offense when people are offensive. Perhaps if we actually responded to offense well it would make a difference. My Bible says when people treat us poorly we are to love, bless, do good, and pray for them.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Just for the record: I have nothing to say. :cool:

I don't play sports, watch sports or personally know anyone who is trying to be a different gender.

Of course I have opinions about all this. But I realize most of those opinions are probably wrong.

Just mentioning this so you will know why I'm not participating in this thread. It's not that I'm ignoring you. I just don't have anything useful to say.

Jun 19, 2023
There's never an excuse for poor behavior. And I can't speak to what I haven't heard. As Christians we should be in the business of building up and not tearing down. But neither do we to take offense when people are offensive. Perhaps if we actually responded to offense well it would make a difference. My Bible says when people treat us poorly we are to love, bless, do good, and pray for them.
Ya, no excuse for poor behaviours. I can't expect people to respond to what they haven't heard. Others have.

Yes to all the rest agreed, but truth be told anyway.

para . ,. . .

Jun 19, 2023
Just for the record: I have nothing to say. :cool:

I don't play sports, watch sports or personally know anyone who is trying to be a different gender.

Of course I have opinions about all this. But I realize most of those opinions are probably wrong.

Just mentioning this so you will know why I'm not participating in this thread. It's not that I'm ignoring you. I just don't have anything useful to say.
Not useless. I now know that you don't play or watch sports, don't know anyone trying to be a different gender, you have opinions about all of this, and that you think they're likely wrong. All for the record. I should then not expect a topical discussion from you about it.

I live and learn.

para . . . .

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I think one thing that may fuel this is the women's leagues complaining they make less than men's leagues.
WNBA is a perfect example. The WNBA doesn't even make enough money to sustain itself. It is out of pocket donations by the NBA players that keep WNBA from going under. And even helping to pay the WNBA's salaries. Yet the WNBA feels their pay should be equal to NBA players.

Also with feminism so rampant there's a push to get men and women to play together. Can you imagine the NFL letting women play with the men?

I think such ways of thinking probably angers and annoys many sports fans, especially the men.

Also not to mention sports tend to attract more macho types. And a degree of sexism isn't uncommon among such types.

But be aware this is not just a guy issue. I have come across a number of female youtubers critical of women's sports, often for the reasons mentioned above.

Jun 19, 2023
Subhumanoidal - ^

I'm aware of what all you wrote and generally agree.

I mentioned national teams as well. In soccer it's the same ball (WNBA has a smaller ball), pitch, crest, nation, anthem, etc.. It's been resolved at the Federation level in the US where both male and female teams receive the same pay/accommodations to represent. As for FIFA tournaments and prize money, it's the gate and broadcast rights rightly determining. FIFA's bumped it up lately for the women.

para . . . .