Sports in the Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Does the Bible say anything about sport?
JUst wondering.

How important is sport to God?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Ok nothing I guess thats not surprising...not even a mention of football which is supposedly Gods great game. Its very strange to see players get chocked up with emotion about the national anthem and then say they give all the glory to God.

Jun 10, 2019
And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day."
Genesis 32:24

Jun 10, 2019
An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules."
2 Timothy 2:5

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Although racing or athletics isnt really a game...what about team sports. Anything involving a ball?

Jun 10, 2019
Although racing or athletics isnt really a game...what about team sports. Anything involving a ball?
Why would you think foot racing isn’t a game?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Why would you think foot racing isn’t a game?
I dont know, just want to know if theres any team sports mentioned in the Bible like football, or anything like that. That involves some strategy other than racing or speed, like scoring points . More like a game people play. For fun.

I think the running mentioned in the Bible isnt even about racing but more like marathon running,where speed isnt that important, the important thing is that you finish well...thats a test of endurance.

I think the same with wrestling its more endurance. Not so much competition or coming first.

Jun 10, 2019
I dont know, just want to know if theres any team sports mentioned in the Bible like football, or anything like that. That involves some strategy other than racing or speed, like scoring points . More like a game people play. For fun.

I think the running mentioned in the Bible isnt even about racing but more like marathon running,where speed isnt that important, the important thing is that you finish well...thats a test of endurance.

I think the same with wrestling its more endurance. Not so much competition or coming first.
well those types of games didn’t come about till later after A.D. I think,

even the endurance race has a winner, there are strategies in running a race, controlling breathing, pace, knowing when to speed up or slow down conserving energy til the time it most needed better than the other contestants to win the race takes all those things.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
I believe the main ingredient in sports is, to determine a winner and loser by a written set of rules.

I like leaning on the saying, it isn’t important whether you win or lose but, how you play the game is.

I believe that accepting defeat in an honorable and respectful manner is essential to knowing how to,
“ play the game”

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Does the Bible say anything about sport?
JUst wondering.

How important is sport to God?
2 Timothy 2:5 An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules.
1 Timothy 4:8 For while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
1 Corinthians 10:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 6:12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything.
1 Corinthians 9:25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.
Philippians 2:1-3 So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
Proverbs 24:17-18 Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, lest the Lord see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
My translation kjv seems to be more direct.

1 Timothy 4:8
For bodily exercise profiteth little; but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come

I guess I dont think of running as sport, more like exercise...difference between sport and exercise is that sport you play to win and exercise its just to keep fit.

But then sport is about competing against another or others. And there is such a thing as being a good sport or showing good sportsmanship.

I guess to God its spirit is more important than the flesh...in sports its all focused on the flesh, the physical. Mostly. You could win the world cup and you might get glory for a season. But its nothing compared to the glory of God and the prize of eternal life forever.

Jun 10, 2019
My translation kjv seems to be more direct.

1 Timothy 4:8
For bodily exercise profiteth little; but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come

I guess I dont think of running as sport, more like exercise...difference between sport and exercise is that sport you play to win and exercise its just to keep fit.

But then sport is about competing against another or others. And there is such a thing as being a good sport or showing good sportsmanship.

I guess to God its spirit is more important than the flesh...in sports its all focused on the flesh, the physical. Mostly. You could win the world cup and you might get glory for a season. But its nothing compared to the glory of God and the prize of eternal life forever.
when people run marathons they run to win the marathon not only physically yes profits little but with planning and execution a person can win the race.

Golf is game that is 50% physical and 50% mental.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Wrestling may be the world's oldest sport, and it's intricately tied to war. You might call war a team sport - with very high stakes.

What about competitive stone-throwing? You remember David was apparently very good at this with his sling. He's not the only one, and maybe not even the best:

Judges 20:14-16
Instead, the children of Benjamin gathered together from their cities to Gibeah, to go to battle against the children of Israel. And from their cities at that time the children of Benjamin numbered twenty-six thousand men who drew the sword, besides the inhabitants of Gibeah, who numbered seven hundred select men. Among all this people [were] seven hundred select men [who were] left-handed; every one could sling a stone at a hair's [breadth] and not miss.

700 left handed men who could hit a hair with a rock. I am quite sure they had some kind of rock throwing contests, at some point, in Gibeah.

Jun 10, 2019
Wrestling may be the world's oldest sport, and it's intricately tied to war. You might call war a team sport - with very high stakes.

What about competitive stone-throwing? You remember David was apparently very good at this with his sling. He's not the only one, and maybe not even the best:

Judges 20:14-16
Instead, the children of Benjamin gathered together from their cities to Gibeah, to go to battle against the children of Israel. And from their cities at that time the children of Benjamin numbered twenty-six thousand men who drew the sword, besides the inhabitants of Gibeah, who numbered seven hundred select men. Among all this people [were] seven hundred select men [who were] left-handed; every one could sling a stone at a hair's [breadth] and not miss.

700 left handed men who could hit a hair with a rock. I am quite sure they had some kind of rock throwing contests, at some point, in Gibeah.
There you go, the first ball sport seems was a stone ball.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
If you "search" Scriptures about sports KJV.....this is what you get:

2 Timothy 2:5 - And if a man also strive for masteries, [yet] is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

1 Corinthians 10:31 - Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

1 Timothy 4:8 - For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

1 Corinthians 6:12 - All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Genesis 32:24-30 - And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. (Read More...)

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Philippians 3:14 - I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 9:25 - And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they [do it] to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

Colossians 3:8 - But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Proverbs 8:13 - The fear of the LORD [is] to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 27:2 - Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

Hebrews 12:1 - Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2 Timothy 4:7-8 - I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith:

My question is: Why do you ask? What is the purpose for the OP?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If you "search" Scriptures about sports KJV.....this is what you get:

2 Timothy 2:5 - And if a man also strive for masteries, [yet] is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

1 Corinthians 10:31 - Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

1 Timothy 4:8 - For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

1 Corinthians 6:12 - All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Genesis 32:24-30 - And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. (Read More...)

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Philippians 3:14 - I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 9:25 - And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they [do it] to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

Colossians 3:8 - But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Proverbs 8:13 - The fear of the LORD [is] to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 27:2 - Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

Hebrews 12:1 - Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2 Timothy 4:7-8 - I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith:

My question is: Why do you ask? What is the purpose for the OP?
Just wondering.

I was thinking about sport...and wondering if it was important to God. Thats all.

My sister is running a marathon this month, so possibly these scriptures could encourage her...
And there was a christian movie I saw called Overcomers, it had running in it. The main character was a basketball coach whos team was dropped and so he took up coaching cross country running instead.

Sports is imprtant to many people for some its the most importsnt thing like the world would end if they lost. But that may be because they are betting lots of money on it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The purpose of any thread on BDF (well I thought was quite obvious) is to look in the Bible and see what it says. Then discuss. Does there need to be any other reason?! Lol

Jun 10, 2019
Sports isn’t important rather the Tebowing

Col 3
17And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.