St. John Chrysostom's Easter Sermon

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
//God already revealed him as a holy man when, at his death, his body released a pleasant myrrh-like smell // Not to be mean here ,but which verse says this in the bible?
What? That a holy man's body releases myrrh-like smell?

There you go:
Ephessians 5:2 and Philippians 4:18. The word use for the pleasant myrrh like smell is fragrance.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
What? That a holy man's body releases myrrh-like smell?

There you go:
Ephessians 5:2 and Philippians 4:18. The word use for the pleasant myrrh like smell is fragrance.
No I meant in the context you gave.
Eph 5
2And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

This is Jesus himself . " given himself for us" And he wasn't burned .

phil 4 18

But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.

This isn't the same thing as you said?
When we die our bodies are not a sacrifice to God . They will be redeemed yes ( Rom 8 23 ) ' the adoption ' . But no ones flesh is smelling like mrryh when burned . No verse says this .

K

kaylagrl

Saint John Chrysostom does not need me to defend him. God already revealed him as a holy man when, at his death, his body released a pleasant myrrh-like smell (instead of smelling like putrefaction, as it would be normal for a dead body).

edit: the words I put in bold show that he was passionately in love with Jesus Christ and they show why his feelings were so strong about the haters of Christ.
Christ is Holy, no man is Holy. Chrysotom was no different than any other Christian. We are all level at the foot of the cross. But I understand now why you are so defensive. He was flawed, like the rest of us. And he was anti-Semitic. The Bible says if you hate your brother you are guilty of murder.

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
No I meant in the context you gave.
Eph 5
2And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

This is Jesus himself . " given himself for us" And he wasn't burned .

phil 4 18

But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.

This isn't the same thing as you said?
When we die our bodies are not a sacrifice to God . They will be redeemed yes ( Rom 8 23 ) ' the adoption ' . But no ones flesh is smelling like mrryh when burned . No verse says this .
Your entire life is a sacrifice/an offering to God. A dead body which releases myrrh-like smell (like it is the case of St. John Chrysostom, but not only) is a proof that the Holy Spirit dwelled in that person during his lifetime.
That person gave herself to Jesus Christ as an offering. The fragrance is the proof that God accepted the offering.

For example, the martyrs presented themselves as offerings to God. And their bodies and the whole place where they have been martyrized was filled by fragrance, by scent. Which is why they, the martyrs, were joyful and praising the Lord, instead of crying of terror (which, would be the normal thing to do when a bunch of lions attack and eat you alive :),

Christians who don't live under persecution can sacrifice themselves in other ways.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Your entire life is a sacrifice/an offering to God. A dead body which releases myrrh-like smell (like it is the case of St. John Chrysostom, but not only) is a proof that the Holy Spirit dwelled in that person during his lifetime.
That person gave herself to Jesus Christ as an offering. The fragrance is the proof that God accepted the offering.

For example, the martyrs presented themselves as offerings to God. And their bodies and the whole place where they have been martyrized was filled by fragrance, by scent. Which is why they, the martyrs, were joyful and praising the Lord, instead of crying of terror (which, would be the normal thing to do when a bunch of lions attack and eat you alive :),

Christians who don't live under persecution can sacrifice themselves in other ways.
But the bible doesn't say any of this. We can be led astray with all manner of things some people say happened. Thats why we should stick to the bible.

Romans 12:1

“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies as a living sacrifice holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.”

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
But the bible doesn't say any of this. We can be led astray with all manner of things some people say happened. Thats why we should stick to the bible.
The Bible talks about the fragrance. Yes or no?
St. John Chrysostom and the martyrs I spoke about were not contemporaries with Jesus Christ or Saint Paul which is why... you won't find them in the Bible...

“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies as a living sacrifice holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.”
You read but you don't understand.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
The Bible talks about the fragrance. Yes or no?
St. John Chrysostom and the martyrs I spoke about were not contemporaries with Jesus Christ or Saint Paul which is why... you won't find them in the Bible...

You read but you don't understand.
I believe its referring not to a literal scent . I don't think when Jesus offered his body there was a literal smell. I think you've been hood winked.

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
throughfaith,

I am soooo dissapointed by you.

You asked me 'where did the Bible talked about the fragrance' and when I gave you the verses, you tell me this is not to be taken literal and that I have been hood winked? BY who? BY the very word of God? Your lack of integrity and honesty is very profound!

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
throughfaith,

I am soooo dissapointed by you.

You asked me 'where did the Bible talked about the fragrance' and when I gave you the verses, you tell me this is not to be taken literal and that I have been hood winked? BY who? BY the very word of God? Your lack of integrity and honesty is very profound!
Because your link is tenuous to say the least . There is no verse that says that when a body is burned it can smell like myrrh, and that this is the sign of a godly man.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

Its a ' living sacrifice ' that's pleasing to God

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
Because your link is tenuous to say the least . There is no verse that says that when a body is burned it can smell like myrrh, and that this is the sign of a godly man.
Where did I claim that?

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
Who said anything about burning?

GiveThanks

God Will Make A Way
Dec 6, 2020
What? That a holy man's bodyreleases myrrh-like smell?

There you go:
philippians 4:18 does not say a holy man's body releases myrrh-like smell.

Ephesians 5:2 does not say a holy man's body releases myrrh-like smell.

Those sctiptures compares the sacrifice made by Christ and the generosity of the people to a sweet smelling odour.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
I don't believe. I KNOW it is a literal scent.
If there was a verse that said so I would believe it. Remember there are people that ' know ' they have been spoken to by an angel who have told them things contrary to the Gospel..An angel no less . I think an angel visitation trumps your scented body account.
Gal 1
8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
I am a grown up and take responsibility for what I believe. You believe it's incorrect and I couldn't care less about your opinion.

Dear kayla, let's leave it here, al right? I already understood your position and I don't even try to change it. In fact, YOU came here to "not derail my thread", and end up high jacking it one comment after another.

I believe Christians are the New Israel (except for you, because you hold a different view) and nothing is going to change my view, not you, not your cherry-picked bible verses, not your accusations that the theology I hold onto is false, NOTHING. Do you understand?
Just wondered if you ever read the following scripture:
"And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and IN THEE shall all families of the earth be blessed." Gen 12:3

Rom 11:25-28
For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Jews don't believe their Jewish Festivals are about Jesus...
They are blinded for the born again Christians benefit. We are actually indebted to them in a sense. God provided our redeemer through their lineage.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Where did I claim that?
///God already revealed him as a holy man when, at his death, his body released a pleasant myrrh-like smell._//
( minus the ' burning ' , my mistake )
Although the ' burnt ' sacrifices would have given a scent . I think its a sweet smelling sacrifice to God in this ' type ' ,but not literally.