Star Trek Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
DS9 was a complete rip-off of Babylon 5. They pitched Babylon 5 and it got rejected, then a few months later the company they pitched Babylon 5 to suddenly came out with deep space 9... And it was just Babylon 5 with a Star trek logo, basically.

That is why DS9 had all that metaphysical junk with Sisco being the chosen one to interface between our reality and the wormhole aliens.

It is also why they started out with a wrecked star base the Cardasians used to own.
what makes DS9 good is the characters. Garak, Dukat, the founders, The dominion. the story line. it was darker then TNG or TOS ever was.

S

SigP226

Okay, I get why someone wouldn't like Below Decks. That is really poking fun at everything Star Trek.

But I don't get why you don't like Discovery or Picard. Especially Picard. Did you not like TNG? Can you explain to me why you don't like them?

Discovery - I don't like them because of the pushing of social agendas. A homosexual relationship in Discovery, the non-binary actor/actress in season 3.

Picard is just poorly written.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Kirk was a stereotypical male, charming ladies and slugging it out with aliens.
William Shatner was such a ham in Star Trek; odd considering his Jewish background LOL.

He trained as a Shakespearean actor. He and Leonard Nimoy also acted together in a Man From U.N.C.L.E. episode :oops:

S

SigP226

William Shatner was such a ham in Star Trek; odd considering his Jewish background LOL.

He trained as a Shakespearean actor. He and Leonard Nimoy also acted together in a Man From U.N.C.L.E. episode :oops:
As is Patrick Stewart.

S

SigP226

what makes DS9 good is the characters. Garak, Dukat, the founders, The dominion. the story line. it was darker then TNG or TOS ever was.
It was good in Season 6 and 7 once there was a true rival. I never got into the Bajoran religion or who Kira was shagging that week. The Klingon upheaval was pretty good as well.

HillsboroMom

Jan 3, 2021
Discovery - I don't like them because of the pushing of social agendas. A homosexual relationship in Discovery, the non-binary actor/actress in season 3.
Star Trek has always pushed social agendas. TOS featured the first inter-racial kiss on television. At the time, it was huge; sponsors threatened to pull their ads because of it. It also represented very enlightened (for its time) views on women's equality.

TNG and DS9 both took frequent jabs -- some more obvious than others -- at capitalism and free trade. The entire Cardasian/B'joran conflict was a clear commentary on Israeli/Palestinian relations. (And if you have to ask which side is the "good guys," you're not paying attention.)

If you don't like social agendas, then you don't like Star Trek. You can't pretend it was never not about the politics. Gene was always political.

S

SigP226

Star Trek has always pushed social agendas. TOS featured the first inter-racial kiss on television. At the time, it was huge; sponsors threatened to pull their ads because of it. It also represented very enlightened (for its time) views on women's equality.

TNG and DS9 both took frequent jabs -- some more obvious than others -- at capitalism and free trade. The entire Cardasian/B'joran conflict was a clear commentary on Israeli/Palestinian relations. (And if you have to ask which side is the "good guys," you're not paying attention.)

If you don't like social agendas, then you don't like Star Trek. You can't pretend it was never not about the politics. Gene was always political.

Rodenberry was often opposed to such things.

Equality for women, and the thought of an interracial kiss may have been frowned upon in the 60's. However, those things are not against the teachings of the Bible. The current things that we are seeing in Star Trek, especially in the new series.... are!

TNG, and Enterprise pushed the envelopes when they introduced species with no gender. DS9 showed a lesbian kiss. That's where TREK started go off the rails.

Discovery seems to be more of a show about pushing agenda than anything else, it's a very IN YOUR FACE push.

HillsboroMom

Jan 3, 2021
Equality for women, and the thought of an interracial kiss may have been frowned upon in the 60's. However, those things are not against the teachings of the Bible.
There was a time when almost all Christians believed that the Bible was very clearly in favor of slavery. Even today, many Christians find Scripture to support women subjugation by men. The Bible can be made to support almost any position.

S

SigP226

There was a time when almost all Christians believed that the Bible was very clearly in favor of slavery. Even today, many Christians find Scripture to support women subjugation by men. The Bible can be made to support almost any position.
If you twist its context sure. That's why understanding the language and context of the Bible is extremely important.

HillsboroMom

Jan 3, 2021
If you twist its context sure. That's why understanding the language and context of the Bible is extremely important.
And every white-supremacist would absolutely agree with you.

As would everyone who believes that homosexuality is acceptable.

S

SigP226

And every white-supremacist would absolutely agree with you.

As would everyone who believes that homosexuality is acceptable.
White supremacist? Is that what I'm being called here?

HillsboroMom

Jan 3, 2021
White supremacist? Is that what I'm being called here?
No. I'm sorry if you thought I was implying you were.

I'm saying extremists on both sides (white supremacists on one extreme, and homosexual apologists on the other) claim Biblical support. And they have Bible experts on their side, who claim the language and context supports them.

People with far more expertise in Biblical studies than you and I put together have come up with some ridiculous theories that both you and I would think are off the deep end.

And people with less have come up with theological doctrines that are profoundly true.

Sola Scriptura, sure. But that's not to say you're guaranteed to get it right with the Bible alone. Even the demons can quote Scripture.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Well we got a star wars thread, so star trek thread is a must.

this is Garak, plain simple Garak. who is a very good tailor.
Yes... yes he was. And, he never poisoned anyone in high positions.

Ever see the DS9 episode called "In the Pale Moonlight"?

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
There's a good Star Trek novel called Ship of the Line
Is James kirks first trip into space at 17 and he goes all John McClain on these pirates

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Is James kirks first trip into space at 17 and he goes all John McClain on these pirates
I have a Star Trek novel of the same name, and it stars Picard and Morgan Bateson. Picard goes on a mission to take down Madred, that cardassian who captured him once, while Morgan bateson takes the Enterprise e out for a test flight and gets hijacked by klingons.

Wonder which novel came first? And I wonder why nobody checked before they wrote the second one?

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011
The only Star Trek I’ve ever seen is TNG. I’m picky about sci fi and Picard is awesome.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I love all Star Trek except for "Enterprise". That had its moments, but the design of the ship, and other elements that ruined the ST timeline, all because Rick Berman claimed artistic license, took me out of that series.

I've only read two ST novels, but I enjoyed them both. One was TOS (can't recall the title, but it involved the Romulans), and the other was NG, called "Vendetta". It was a great story. I read half the novel in one night. It merged "Doomsday Machine" with Guinan's world that was raped and destroyed by the Borg.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Ahh the lad started young.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
That is going back

I had a friend in high school who was always going on about Red Dwarf, Lord of the Rings and Star Trek

She could have been speaking Klingon to me

However I was into Garfield and English classics like Rebecca, so I guess we made friends over popular literature.

The true nerdy ones read sci-fi and nothing else. Bookshops abosolutely love 'em as they are their most loyal customers.