Steam Engine With A Water Heater & Generator

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 15, 2023
Kansas City
Okay, all the mechanics, electricians, and engineers, please hear me out on this. What if we took a steam powered car, replaced the coal/wood and water with a water heater and 20000kwh generator, would it work. I found this basic diagram of a steam car.

1697511881916.jpeg

According to this diagram, you can see some coal, a combustion chamber, a water tank, and steam. If the entire purpose of the combustion is to heat the water, why not just combine the two with a water heater and hook up a generator to the water heater. Please explain why or why not this would work, I'

Attachments

Oct 16, 2023
Hell I’m still praying for someone to setup some trailer trucks with shower/tub bathrooms and washers n dryers so homeless folks could do their laundry n take showers. Was thinking inline water heaters, hold tanks. And another trailer with a coffee bar and snacks and recliners because sometimes folks just need a comfy chair and a cup of joe while they come together or sit with God. I keep playing the lottery hoping He’ll bless me so I can do these things. Pray I win 🤣

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Okay, all the mechanics, electricians, and engineers, please hear me out on this. What if we took a steam powered car, replaced the coal/wood and water with a water heater and 20000kwh generator, would it work. I found this basic diagram of a steam car.

View attachment 256749

According to this diagram, you can see some coal, a combustion chamber, a water tank, and steam. If the entire purpose of the combustion is to heat the water, why not just combine the two with a water heater and hook up a generator to the water heater. Please explain why or why not this would work, I'
As I understand it, you are trying to make a perpetual motion or "free energy" machine that will generate electricity by heating its own water with its own power to generate more power? Let me know if I got your intent wrong.

If I got your intent right... It won't work because the energy to heat the water will be more than what is generated by the steam.

Oct 15, 2023
Kansas City
As I understand it, you are trying to make a perpetual motion or "free energy" machine that will generate electricity by heating its own water with its own power to generate more power? Let me know if I got your intent wrong
If I got your intent right... It won't work because the energy to heat the water will be more than what is generated by the steam.
Well, why does burning coal/wood work then? You are using energy to "produce" energy? Plus, technically, isn't that diagram converting thermal energy to kinetic energy? Idk.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Well, why does burning coal/wood work then? You are using energy to "produce" energy? Plus, technically, isn't that diagram converting thermal energy to kinetic energy? Idk.
A steam engine converts chemical energy, stored in the wood, gas or whatever you are burning to heat the water, into kinetic energy. It takes a continuous input of the combustible material to keep the process going.

If you exchange the combustible material for a water heater and generator, that becomes a closed system with no continuous energy input from outside the system. As a steam engine is remarkably inefficient, you will lose energy in the system at a terrific rate.

Oct 15, 2023
Kansas City
A steam engine converts chemical energy, stored in the wood, gas or whatever you are burning to heat the water, into kinetic energy. It takes a continuous input of the combustible material to keep the process going.

If you exchange the combustible material for a water heater and generator, that becomes a closed system with no continuous energy input from outside the system. As a steam engine is remarkably inefficient, you will lose energy in the system at a terrific rate.
Oh. Well that must be why no one has done that.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Oh. Well that must be why no one has done that.
FYI a typical steam powered tractor used in timber harvesting used a ton of wood an hour. That's why internal combustion engines took over as soon as they became powerful enough to replace steam.

Oct 15, 2023
Kansas City
Well there goes my dreams of owning a steam powered car. I've now moved on to Stanley Meyer's water car!