It may or may not be true that Stephen Hawking lauded the 12 step program as the most significant contribution to humanity of the 20th century. (It is difficult to authenticate such statements.) Still, the fact remains that the 12 step program, seeded from an Evangelical movement known as the Oxford Group, and further developed by Dr. Bob and Bill W. to the 12 steps and traditions that are the basis of literally hundreds of various fellowships (each dealing with different issues, traumas, addictions, etc) all around the world, is believed by many to be a gift to the destitute, the spiritually poor, the broken, and the lost, from God... an invitation to seek Him out, free of the historical baggage of religion, a tried and true means of path straightening taken directly from Scripture, presented as a spiritual program to seekers desiring freedom from sin, without even knowing it is sin that is the cause of their pain and suffering, and that it is God they are seeking. Thank you God, for your long suffering attitude toward us, as You wait, wait, wait for us to get to the end of ourselves and finally, finally, finally, turn to You.
Lord, I offer myself to Thee, to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self that I might better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help, of Thy power, Thy glory, and Thy way of life. May I do Thy will always.