Stuck being distracted

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 18, 2019
I've felt so distracted in life away from homework, simple chores and most importantly, God. I've hated myself for that and I've felt like a constant danger to myself because of this. God is always ready for me to go to him, but at the end, it's my own foolishness that decides to go to distraction to forget in meaningless things. This problem has made me so miserable and scared to be alive. God is right in front of me, and my stupid sinful self is holding me back from living the way God wants me to live, to live with purpose! Then, right when i want to go to God for more than just a moment, I just lack the discipline to stay and I drown in distraction and wake up hours later realizing how important God is! I don't trust my own ability to make choices, I wish I could always want to go to God and not have sinful wants because i'm afraid distarctions will suddenly overcome me keep me asleep for hours to what important in life. I'm so angry at myself for being such a disappointment in this way because of my distracted mind.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I will tell you that I haven't ever felt like I've done anything wrong by going out and losing myself in creation.

It has a dual function of loving the Lord with your strength and the many scriptural benefits of observing invisible attributes manifest in what has been made.

Basically, your body gets stronger your walk doesn't get "wronger" and there are a lot of things you can learn about the Lord just from what he has made.

Try going for a walk and finding a nice spot and just reading proverbs or psalms. My mother always encouraged me when I was young to read 1 psalm and 1 proverb. If I was frustrated or angry, it was the least I could do and it sowed a lot into me over the years and I thank the Lord for her encouragement there.

It's also not just a one way relationship. When you make an effort, I find the Lord will meet you where you end up. Even something as simple as walking a neighborhood and just looking for a positive can go a long way :)

Jan 18, 2019
I will tell you that I haven't ever felt like I've done anything wrong by going out and losing myself in creation.

It has a dual function of loving the Lord with your strength and the many scriptural benefits of observing invisible attributes manifest in what has been made.

Basically, your body gets stronger your walk doesn't get "wronger" and there are a lot of things you can learn about the Lord just from what he has made.

Try going for a walk and finding a nice spot and just reading proverbs or psalms. My mother always encouraged me when I was young to read 1 psalm and 1 proverb. If I was frustrated or angry, it was the least I could do and it sowed a lot into me over the years and I thank the Lord for her encouragement there.

It's also not just a one way relationship. When you make an effort, I find the Lord will meet you where you end up. Even something as simple as walking a neighborhood and just looking for a positive can go a long way :)
I can understand nature as a way to get closer to God, but i’ve lost myself in selfish things like video games and a bunch of YouTube videos about video games. (Sorry i didn’t specify that in the original post) I’ve been running away from problems in distractions and not facing them with God like I want to, which is why i’ve felt sad. I want to read the Bible, but i’m afraid that sinful things will keep distracting me. I feel anxious and confused a lot in life, and I just don’t know what to do with myself.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I can understand nature as a way to get closer to God, but i’ve lost myself in selfish things like video games and a bunch of YouTube videos about video games. (Sorry i didn’t specify that in the original post) I’ve been running away from problems in distractions and not facing them with God like I want to, which is why i’ve felt sad. I want to read the Bible, but i’m afraid that sinful things will keep distracting me. I feel anxious and confused a lot in life, and I just don’t know what to do with myself.
I've probably wasted a year of my life on video games. Don't tear yourself apart about it but make changes.

You haven't "lost" yourself in video games. Or at least for me, it was about escapism among other things.

There's definitely a self-loathing that goes along with wasted time. Especially when it's our desire to please the Lord and be a good steward of what he has given us.

However, what's to stop you tomorrow (or right now) from taking a baby step? It was a very long time until I opened the conversation and started listening to the conviction I felt on gaming. Don't do the work of the accuser for him.

Every time I focus on the mountain of lost time, it doesn't really help. Strain toward what is ahead.

I encouraged you before that maybe an animal might help you. Have you given that any thought? It's sometimes a "middle ground" distraction on it's own. Neither good nor bad. It's something like a side-quest...there's something to gain, but it can be a chore...it just depends.

Also sometimes I think educating yourself on "why" something is harmful psychologically can go a long way toward having more of a reason not to do something. If you'd like more information you could probably look up "Video games are bad for you" and just pray through it. The Lord will meet you, I'm sure.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
I think what is weighing on your heart is productivity. Gaming as fun as it is (and I wasted ten years of my life on it) takes away from you preparation. I felt that it was a thief that robbed me of progress I could’ve made in real life and preparation for the future (like meeting your future spouse). Instead of growing financially secure or learning to drive, I gamed.

Not to say gaming is evil or bad, for there is nothing wrong with leisurely activities, but when that activity takes up all your time it starts to become a hindrance and when that happens you should reevaluate your priorities.

Where and who do you want to be? Does gaming take away from that, slow it down, advance it, or what?

I only gamed because it was all I had. My value was in gaming. It was what I was good at, what I excelled at, and where I felt I had nothing else I had gaming. You can have value beyond gaming, and indeed, as you mentioned, walk with purpose in life. To love.
Walk in God’s will for your life.

Gaming is an industry though, and much like any area in life God can make an impact there. There are people who game and witness to people. There are those who have Christian gaming communities and fellowship. Just don’t let gaming rob you of progress in life towards a sound future.

Jan 18, 2019
I think what is weighing on your heart is productivity. Gaming as fun as it is (and I wasted ten years of my life on it) takes away from you preparation. I felt that it was a thief that robbed me of progress I could’ve made in real life and preparation for the future (like meeting your future spouse). Instead of growing financially secure or learning to drive, I gamed.

Not to say gaming is evil or bad, for there is nothing wrong with leisurely activities, but when that activity takes up all your time it starts to become a hindrance and when that happens you should reevaluate your priorities.

Where and who do you want to be? Does gaming take away from that, slow it down, advance it, or what?

I only gamed because it was all I had. My value was in gaming. It was what I was good at, what I excelled at, and where I felt I had nothing else I had gaming. You can have value beyond gaming, and indeed, as you mentioned, walk with purpose in life. To love.
Walk in God’s will for your life.

Gaming is an industry though, and much like any area in life God can make an impact there. There are people who game and witness to people. There are those who have Christian gaming communities and fellowship. Just don’t let gaming rob you of progress in life towards a sound future.
I feel like I run away too much in gaming when I could get comfort from God. Gaming is what i’m used to, but I feel like other than being something i’m used to, it doesn’t help me much.
After a freshmen year with a bunch of mental breakdowns and issues, my main goal is to become stable, (I still don’t know what job I want, so that’s mostly the goal I focus on) and when I met God I wanted to become closer to him so he could help my anxiety and depression.
Video games only help me forget, but the pain is still there, while I feel nervous to approach God because he wants me to face the pain with him, but I always end up more mentally sound choosing him.