Study to be approved” Do you study with a plan or just dive in higglety-pigglety?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Just a bit of fun for thought - an order of bible study might be a helpful guide for students of scripture, moving us from being babes in Christ to being a warrior for the truth. Should you be in grade school or are you ready for college?? ‘line upon line, precept upon precept’. Is 28:10

Synoptic Gospels – Elementary School
Matthew
Mark
Luke
John
General Epistles - High School
James
1 & 2 Peter
1,2 & 3 John
Jude
Doctrine – College
ABC’s - Freshman
Romans
1& 2 Corinthians
Galatians
XYZ’s - Sophmore
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians
End Times
1 & 2 Thessalonians - Junior
Temple Symbolism
Hebrews - Senior
Leadership – Master’s Degree
1 & 2 Timothy
Titus
Philemon
RevelationPHD Studies

Be DILIGENT to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling ACCURATELY the word of truth.
2 Timothy 2:15

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Ah. Won't help anyone here. Everyone in the BDF is already a know it all when it comes to the bible. That's why they're here. They know it all and are here to tell everyone else how they have it wrong.

Mar 28, 2016
Yes, how do we hear what the Spirit says to the churches and not the doctrines of men. I would offer he does not leave us as orphans with no instructor or manner of faith by which we can seek His approval. he warnes of those who say we do need a man sen to teach us.

One teaching I would offer is a guide to helping us to distinguish between the two the kind of inspiration. The doctrines of God and those of men. The faithless Jews repeatedly turned it upside down taking away the understanding of the Potter.

Deuteronomy 32 King James Version (KJV) Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth. My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

In that way it seems he creates a separation between the dust of corrupted earth which mankind returns to . . .and points to the unseen heavens.

I would offer what I would think is a good example of that law in Numbers 11 below .

Manna which literal means .What is it??? It represents the word of God. The bread of unfamiliarity not inspired earthly the food of familiarity fed to slaves. Israelites used it to grumble against the true inspiration that falls like rain. Not desiring to enter the propmised land

Numbers 11:9 And when the dew fell upon the camp in the night, the manna fell upon it.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Feb 28, 2016
as far as study', the first thing is to set a 'goal' for yourself -
the second is to 'stick to it' -
if one has not read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation,
then this would be an excellent goal and achievement...

we must realize that The Holy Spirit desires us have an
hunger for The Word and a willing heart to receive it
and obey it with all of our hearts...

some good principles are:
JOHN 10:35.
...and the Scripture cannot be broken.
1TH. 5:21.
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
JOHN 5:39.
Search the Scriptures; for in them you think you have eternal life: and they are they which testify of Me.
HEB. 4:12.
For The Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword,
piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow,
and is a Discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

stepbystep

Aug 31, 2020
Having a hard time getting past "higglety-pigglety" One I have never heard.

As for my Bible Study, I study Book by Book. Always looking for corresponding Scriptures in Books, which reveal the justification of Scripture I believe. Not sure about the "levels of study" in your Comment, but I guess it is ok.

As long as people know that it is the Holy Spirit that teaches us and inspires our thirst for the Truth found in Scriptures.

Feb 28, 2016
'higgley-piggley may be related to 'piggly-wiggly' which is a 'very southern' grocery store...:)
any who, SbS, nice post -
we have always preferred, from the very beginning of our Bible Studyies, Bibles that give
in the middle column 'references' that correspond/relate to/in the OT and NT, they are always
very helpful - but always keep in mind, that on the bottom of the pages, where anyone
can put their personal interpretations, 'that they are ONLY their OWN interpretations,
take them all with a grain of salt, while learning what others think...

just a share,
Soggykitten has shared her knowledge about the NET Bible-Book in another thread -
even though Hub and I do and have for years read the Greek and Hebrew interpretations,
in our studies, this book that she speaks of sounds really interesting and informative,
and we are definitely going to look into it...

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
My plan changes from time to time. I first immersed myself in the NT because I was going so deep in "ain't it awful" thoughts when a child was sick. I memorized NT to drown out those thoughts with God's thoughts.

Then a lady convinced me that not understanding the OT interfered with my understanding of the new. That portion of bible is deep and time consuming. Next, I determined to understand the conflict I saw in scripture about the law. That took months to work out.

It seems to me the Holy Spirit guides each person in a different way to His word. When it is guided by a will to live through Christ and the search is for how best to do that, the Holy Spirit guides.

Mar 23, 2016
Study to be approved” Do you study with a plan or just dive in higglety-pigglety?

I do both. If I don't have a specific "plan" at any given time, I'll just read "higgledy-pigglety" and, before I know it, something catches my eye and I start studying more in-depth.

I like to read a book through a couple of times before I go off on my studies ... just to get context. Take notes about things that pique my interest and that I want to go back and study. Then go back and study ...

Oct 10, 2020
Just a bit of fun for thought - an order of bible study might be a helpful guide for students of scripture, moving us from being babes in Christ to being a warrior for the truth. Should you be in grade school or are you ready for college?? ‘line upon line, precept upon precept’. Is 28:10

Synoptic Gospels – Elementary School
Matthew
Mark
Luke
John
General Epistles - High School
James
1 & 2 Peter
1,2 & 3 John
Jude
Doctrine – College
ABC’s - Freshman
Romans
1& 2 Corinthians
Galatians
XYZ’s - Sophmore
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians
End Times
1 & 2 Thessalonians - Junior
Temple Symbolism
Hebrews - Senior
Leadership – Master’s Degree
1 & 2 Timothy
Titus
Philemon
RevelationPHD Studies

Be DILIGENT to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling ACCURATELY the word of truth.
2 Timothy 2:15

Oct 10, 2020
Jesus said love the lord your god an your neighbor as yorself
if ee dont surrender to god heart and soul we can know everything on earth but
paul says if you dont have love then you have nothing at all. Pharisees knew the laws andrules, but did not know god..thatis why jesus called them all hypocrites
so do we want to become third millenium hypocrites?

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
A good way to study the bible is with the hermeneutic method...... where you ask and answer some questions as you read the text and break it down. Like a journalist, asking the who, what, when, where, how, why.

Keeps you from the errors of the higglity pigglity method of snatching verses out of context.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I never really had good understanding until I began to seek to see Jesus some way in wherever I was. Then I discovered that languages actually are poetic but Hebrew outranks all others in painting pictures through words.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
higglety-pigglety
There is great wisdom to be found by study of Higglety-Pigglety. He built his houselety dowslety of bricklety chicklety. In doing so, he made it very difficultlety for Gulpety-Wolfety to blow his houslety dowslety down.

1 Corinthians
3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Matthew
18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
18:2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.