Substitutes for Discipleship

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 23, 2021
I found relevance in a work by AW Tozer on Discipleship. Seems I am not the only one hitting to wall in sharing with family while praying for them . Seems to me , there needs to be common ground. I am the chief of sinners btw. SUBSTITUTES FOR
DISCIPLESHIP
Pietism. By this I mean an enjoyable feeling of
affection for the person of our Lord that is valued
for itself and is wholly unrelated to cross-bearing
or the keeping of the commandments of Christ.
It is entirely possible to feel for Jesus an ardent
love that is not of the Holy Spirit. Witness the
love for the Virgin felt by certain devout souls, a
love which in the very nature of things must be
purely subjective. The heart is adept at emotional
tricks and is entirely capable of falling in love with
imaginary objects or romantic religious ideas.
In the confused world of romance, young
persons are constantly inquiring how they can
tell when they are "in love." They are afraid they
may mistake some other sensation for true love
and are seeking some trustworthy criterion by
which they can judge the quality of their latest
emotional fever. Their confusion of course arises
from the erroneous notion that love is an en-
joyable inward passion, without intellectual or
volitional qualities and carrying with it no moral
obligations.
Our Lord gave us a rule by which we can test our
love for Him: "He that hath my commandments,
and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he
that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and Iwill love him, and will manifest myself to him
If a man love me, he will keep my words He
that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings" (John
14:21, 23-24).
These words are too plain to need much inter-
preting. Proof of love for Christ is simply removed
altogether from the realm of the feelings and
placed in the realm of practical obedience. I think
the rest of the New Testament is in full accord
with this.
Another substitute for discipleship is literalism.
Our Lord referred to this when He reproached
the Pharisees for their habit of tithing mint and
anise and cumin while at the same time omitting
the weightier matters of the Law such as justice,
mercy and faith. Literalism manifests itself
among us in many ways, but it can always be
identified in that it lives by the letter of the Word
while ignoring its spirit. It habitually fails to ap-
prehend the inward meaning of Christ's words,
and contents itself with external compliance
with the text. If Christ commands baptism, for
instance, it finds fulfillment in the act of water
baptism, but the radical meaning of the act as
explained in Romans 6 is completely overlooked.
It reads the Scriptures regularly, contributes
consistently to religious work, attends church
every Sunday and otherwise carries on the com-
mon duties of a Christian; and for this it is to be
commended. Its tragic breakdown is its failure to
comprehend the lordship of Christ, the believer's
discipleship, separation from the world and the
crucifixion of the natural man.
Literalism attempts to build a holy temple upon
the sandy foundation of the religious self. It will
suffer, sacrifice and labor, but it will not die. It is
Adam at his pious best, but it has never denied
self to take up the cross and follow Christ.
Another substitute for discipleship I would
mention (though these do not exhaust the list) is
zealous religious activity. Working for Christ has
today been accepted as the ultimate test of godli-
ness among all but a few evangelical Christians.
Christ has become a project to be promoted or a
cause to be served instead of a Lord to be obeyed.
Thousands of mistaken persons seek to do for
Christ whatever their fancy suggests should be
done, and in whatever way they think best. The
what and the how of Christian service can only
originate in the sovereign will of our Lord, but the
busy beavers among us ignore this fact and think
up their own schemes. The result is an army of
men who run without being sent and speak with-
out being commanded.
To avoid the snare of unauthorized substitution
I recommend a careful and prayerful study of
the lordship of Christ and the discipleship of the
believer. AW Tozer

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Riverhooks said:

I found relevance in a work by AW Tozer on Discipleship. Seems I am not the only one hitting the
wall in sharing with family while praying for them. Seems to me , there needs to be common ground.

I am the chief of sinners btw.

SUBSTITUTES FOR DISCIPLESHIP

Pietism. By this I mean an enjoyable feeling of affection for the person of our Lord that is valued for
itself and is wholly unrelated to cross-bearing or the keeping of the commandments of Christ. It is
entirely possible to feel for Jesus an ardent love that is not of the Holy Spirit. Witness the love for the
Virgin felt by certain devout souls, a love which in the very nature of things must be purely subjective.
The heart is adept at emotional tricks and is entirely capable of falling in love with imaginary objects
or romantic religious ideas. In the confused world of romance, young persons are constantly inquiring
how they can tell when they are "in love." They are afraid they may mistake some other sensation for
true love and are seeking some trustworthy criterion by which they can judge the quality of their latest
emotional fever. Their confusion of course arises from the erroneous notion that love is an enjoyable
inward passion, without intellectual or volitional qualities and carrying with it no moral obligations.

Our Lord gave us a rule by which we can test ourlove for Him: "He that hath my commandments,
and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and hethat loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and
I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. If a man love me, he will keep my words He that
loveth me not keepeth not my sayings" (John14:21, 23-24).

These words are too plain to need much interpreting. Proof of love for Christ is simply
removed altogether from the realm of the feelings andplaced in the realm of practical
obedience. I think the rest of the New Testament is in full accord with this.

Another substitute for discipleship is literalism. Our Lord referred to this when He reproached
the Pharisees for their habit of tithing mint and anise and cumin while at the same time omitting
the weightier matters of the Law such as justice, mercy and faith. Literalism manifests itself
among us in many ways, but it can always be identified in that it lives by the letter of the Word
while ignoring its spirit. It habitually fails to apprehend the inward meaning of Christ's words,
and contents itself with external compliance with the text. If Christ commands baptism, for
instance, it finds fulfillment in the act of water baptism, but the radical meaning of the act as
explained in Romans 6 is completely overlooked. It reads the Scriptures regularly, contributes
consistently to religious work, attends church every Sunday and otherwise carries on the common
duties of a Christian; and for this it is to be commended. Its tragic breakdown is its failure to
comprehend the lordship of Christ, the believer's discipleship, separation from the world and
the crucifixion of the natural man.

Literalism attempts to build a holy temple upon the sandy foundation of the religious self. It will
suffer, sacrifice and labor, but it will not die. It is Adam at his pious best, but it has never denied
self to take up the cross and follow Christ.

Another substitute for discipleship I would mention (though these do not exhaust the list) is
zealous religious activity. Working for Christ has today been accepted as the ultimate test of
godliness among all but a few evangelical Christians. Christ has become a project to be promoted
or a cause to be served instead of a Lord to be obeyed. Thousands of mistaken persons seek to do
for Christ whatever their fancy suggests should be done, and in whatever way they think best. The
what and the how of Christian service can only originate in the sovereign will of our Lord, but the
busy beavers among us ignore this fact and think up their own schemes. The result is an army of
men who run without being sent and speak without being commanded.

To avoid the snare of unauthorized substitution I recommend a careful and
prayerful study of the lordship of Christ and the discipleship of the believer.

AW Tozer

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Who among us can consider themselves to be in a position of leadership?

Why do they believe themselves something to be copied?

One of the first lessons after the fall of mankind in Genesis is "sin begets more sin".

From legalism to gnosticism the gambit of sinful ways to practice the Faith can readily be found.

But for the counter...
Christianity is not something practiced in isolation. It is only accomplished by engaging in interactions with other people.
Hebrews 10:23-25 is the most blatant verse explaining this.

However...
"Bad company corrupts good morals" and the inverse is also true. So good company must encourage and solidify good morals.

And finally,
Where I am not ever going to discourage anyone from scholarship of scriptures...I do make the recommendation that Solomon made about scholarship...that too much is not good. It puts our "head in the clouds" and stifles actions by "thinking too much" instead of acting quickly when the need calls for it.

Nov 23, 2021
Who among us can consider themselves to be in a position of leadership?

Why do they believe themselves something to be copied?

One of the first lessons after the fall of mankind in Genesis is "sin begets more sin".

From legalism to gnosticism the gambit of sinful ways to practice the Faith can readily be found.

But for the counter...
Christianity is not something practiced in isolation. It is only accomplished by engaging in interactions with other people.
Hebrews 10:23-25 is the most blatant verse explaining this.

However...
"Bad company corrupts good morals" and the inverse is also true. So good company must encourage and solidify good morals.

And finally,
Where I am not ever going to discourage anyone from scholarship of scriptures...I do make the recommendation that Solomon made about scholarship...that too much is not good. It puts our "head in the clouds" and stifles actions by "thinking too much" instead of acting quickly when the need calls for it.
So what did you think of the article ?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
So what did you think of the article ?
I am fond of Tozer's works and writing. It's heavy, heady stuff. Takes a minute to understand....

"Knowledge of the Holy" is textbook, reference type material....one of his best works.
Tozer though is not for everyone....hard reading for your average person.

As I have successfully mentored several young men...mentoring requires a subject willing to be mentored. The younger person has to find the mentor admirable in many ways...especially in ways the disciple wishes to succeed...

It today's society it doesn't really happen formally...but it does happen. (Otherwise I wouldn't have been a mentor to some surprising young men)

But the transformation of the guys is a reward like no other. Their families certainly are enjoying the benefits...because an attentive husband and father is always welcome...and inadvertently modeling positive behavior for the next generation.