Suggestions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

layla

May 10, 2021
Hi. Does anybody have any bible reading suggestions for me to read? I've read a few parts of the bible but as a new christian it can be quite an overwhelming task even though I enjoy it all the same so I would appreciate any suggestions of where to go next.

T

TheIndianGirl

Hi. Does anybody have any bible reading suggestions for me to read? I've read a few parts of the bible but as a new christian it can be quite an overwhelming task even though I enjoy it all the same so I would appreciate any suggestions of where to go next.
Read the Gospels first (John first) and after that the remaining NT. Then, you can move to Solomon's books in OT. After that, you can start from the beginning of the OT.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Reading can sometimes be a chore. Maybe watching or listening would be easier?

Have you seen^ this ^ word for word movie based on the gospel of John?

Here are a couple of more videos you may enjoy for feeding your Spirit :D

Alpha Film Series // Episode 01 // Is There More To Life Than This

Alpha Film Series // Episode 02 // Who is Jesus

There are ten videos total :D

One of my favorite Bible teachers is Dr John Neufeld from Back to the Bible Canada.

You can find his teachings online here :)

oyster67

May 24, 2014
We all agree on the Gospel of John. So rich and warm. I also like Ephesians because it is bite-sized and information rich. As much as possible, embrace things literally. Otherwise, men will twist things whichever way their whim desires to. Genesis 1 is very important. My favorite Chapter in Revelations is 19. God bless you!

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Keep in mind also context is key.

Eg.. when looking at a passage..

Who is talking to whom?

What is the subject?

What is the occasion?

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
It seems that 'post# 2 & 3' gave you very good advice/suggestion.
- For Bible reading & study.
----
Two Kindle e-books ( might be helpful..)
- 'How to Study the Bible'
- 'Know your Bible'
(Value books)
---
Alpha Course/Film series (post #3 suggestion)
- Excellent foundational course.
---
More of His grace & power to you..
- As you begin Christian journey/life.

Blessings,

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
What you really need is to be led by someone who understands the Core doctrine of the Bible, as well as the general constructs of the books and letters, and how they fit together.

I will say this, taking advice from a person who has NOT read the Bible in a timeline, chronological manner . . . will have little to no clue as to what the Bible is about. Avoid advice from anyone who has never read the Old Testament . . . they're an idiot, just as I was an idiot when I referred to myself as a sort of "master" regarding certain Biblical concepts. I was an utter fool.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009

Hi Layla,

It's good you are interested in reading and learning more from God's word (y). Have you tried any daily devotionals? they will help you along - help you think about the scripture, what it's says about God, you and, how to apply it to your life.

There are many out there, some good some not so good. My advice would be to ask your own minister/Pastor for advice or someone you know from your own church who has been a Christian for a while. They may be able to recommend a daily devotional for you.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
We know two of the Gospels tell us they were written that we might know who Jesus is, after 2,000+ years we all pretty much know who He is.
We are pretty much at Ephesians on now.

CS1

May 23, 2012
well there is daily reading plans that can be sent to your phone and upload or you can buy many other as books stores and Christian books stores. The one I am using now is to read through the bible in a year. about 15 to 20 min's a daily

the name of it is " Season of Reflections". when you complete it you would have read through the whole bible in a year.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
just read a bit each day, like a chapter or two. Use a bookmark. Nobody expects you to read the whole Bible in a day or a week!
If you get stuck, have a Bible dictionary handy, stop and ask God for help then just keep on reading.

There are 66 books so its a lot to read! Start from the beginning. since there are two parts, Old New Testament, you can break it up. You can read books from the Old and then some from the New.

Its not in strict chronological order though - in the Old Testament, it seems the prophets who wrote the longest books are first then it goes into the ones who wrote shorter books, the same with New Testament letters.

But try to read in order cos Genesisis the Beginning and Revelation is the end, if you read it backwards you wont really get all the references.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Read the NT through. Acts read carefully ,will help you see the transitions that took place. It will help you understand the 4 gospels from transitioning to Jew to Gentile ,law to grace , Before the cross ,after. Before the resurrection and giving of the Holy spirit and after .

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Of course you can't go wrong with any of the New Testament. My suggestion would be to simply start reading—Matthew, Mark, Luke or John preferably. Take it in small bites and try to really digest what you've read.

In the Old Testament, the books that have helped me the most are Proverbs and Ecclesiates.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
If you've accepted Jesus & you love him.
Start at the beginning. Genesis. Get to know God and all his plans.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Ask Him where He wants you to start, what He wants you to read.
He has ALWAYS sought personal relationship.