Suicide

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 18, 2019
If you commit suicide do you go to hell? What if you have failed at suicide then later die of natural causes?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
If you commit suicide do you go to hell? What if you have failed at suicide then later die of natural causes?
This is a bit of a split topic. Some say you will, others say not. And there's no clear cut reference to this in the bible.
As far as if you attempt and fail and die later I'd say no. There's only one unforgivable sin and that's not it.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"Is not any act to defile God's gift of a life, a personal hurt unto God...upon such a horrific choice
of such a sin would rest unto God's judgment of all things one has displayed in their earthly life.
Not one shall have such earthly knowledge as to know precisely how God may or may not judge
ones soul, as the one unforgivable sin shall be blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, in an earthly nature....
but this too shall have attributes to be aware of."
'Praise God'

Attachments

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Hello again Katherine,
Suicide is murder

Having said that, we must add that murder, suicide, or any other sin is not the deciding factor regarding salvation. A person's eternal security is determined by, and only by, their relationship to Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:8-9).

If a person who is unsaved commits suicide, they have simply sent themselves to eternal punishment faster than they would have gone had they died a natural death. Regardless, they will be in eternal separation only because they have rejected Christ, not because they have committed suicide.

But what if a Christian commits suicide?

The Bible says that when we are in Christ, our salvation is guaranteed because His Spirit dwells in us (2 Corinthians 5:5). That same Spirit is put into the hearts of all those who believe in Jesus Christ (John 3:16; 1 John 5:13).

The Bible also makes it quite clear in Romans 8:38-39 that nothing can separate a Christian from Christ's love, not even suicide. If no "created thing" can separate us from the love of God, as the verse says, then no person (not even our own selves) can separate us from His love by any act that we do including suicide.

A Christian should exhibit the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22) & will be protected from sin as they abide in Christ (John 15:4).

However, if a Christian falls & commits the terrible sin of suicide, that sin would still be covered by Jesus' blood.

Christians are not immune to the despair that leads to suicide; the enemy is a great deceiver (John 8:44) who wants us to forget that victory is ours in Christ (John 16:33). Still, suicide is a very serious sin..

There is no circumstance which justifies a person, especially a Christian, to take his or her own life. We are supposed to die to self, not kill ourselves.

Sorrow over our sins or mistakes should lead us to repentance rather than self-harm so that we can be restored and not destroyed. It is God's heart to repair and restore that which is broken (Psalm 51:17; Isaiah 42:3; Matthew 12:20). Even when things look incredibly bleak and hopeless.

Moses murdered a soldier (we see him later on the Mt of Transfiguration) King David had Bathsheba's husband killed. Paul was the overseer of Stephen's & many other deaths. I'm pretty sure next to Jesus Himself. Paul is responsible for turning the most people to God.

Finally, there is only ONE unforgivable sin. Rejection of Gods grace found in the redemptive sin atoning sacrifice of Jesus the Christ = UNBELIEF.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Suicide is a horrible sin and is a trick and scheme of the Devil because he hates man!

But sin itself is not the basis of getting to heaven or not. The question is this? Are you believing in Jesus Christ? If yes, you go to heaven. If no, you go to hell.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
A sensitive topic and agree with what flyingdove has posted.

From my observation people commit suicide or attempt to because they are in despair or lose hope. And some believers do because they want to be in heaven sooner rather than later, I dont understand that rationale.
Cant say that the act of suicide itself makes puts one in hell.. but if we ourselves are unable to forgive theres a danger that our Father wont forgive us. And often suicidal people find it hard to forgive, themselves as well as others.

Judas did commit suicide and he did not seek forgiveness. Saul also fell on his own sword rather than face up to God. The one unforgivable sin is the blasphemy of the holy spirit..not forgiven in this life or the next.

One could argue that those two men, judas and .saul did commit this unforgiveable sin seeing how they behaved, well God knows their heart.

E

eternally-gratefull

The bible says all sin will be forgiven.

I think suicide is included.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
He knows our hearts and His mercy endures forever.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
As the step-mother to a daughter who committed suicide, NO it is NOT murder. She was bipolar, in a horrible relationship, and other factors which led to her clinical depression. There is only 1 unforgiveable sin. This subject is very dear to my heart.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
As the step-mother to a daughter who committed suicide, NO it is NOT murder. She was bipolar, in a horrible relationship, and other factors which led to her clinical depression. There is only 1 unforgiveable sin. This subject is very dear to my heart.
Sorry, for your loss. I lost someone dear to me as well. The post wasn't meant to be harmful. Webster agrees with the statement in the OP

Merriam - Webster - Definition of suicide

1 the act or an instance of taking one's own life voluntarily and intentionally

2 : one that commits or attempts suicide

Synonyms for suicide - self-destruction, self-murder, self-slaughter

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"My heart goes out to anyone that has been close to one of these tragic events. A dear friend
lost a son due to suicide, it is a grief hard to cope with. I feel the OP was for a specific reason,
I hope and pray, should one feel emotionally challenged, that they ask for help. We are living
in challenging times, and we should be aware of those around us, should there be any noticeable
behavior that we feel needs attention."
'Praise God'

Attachments

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Sorry, for your loss. I lost someone dear to me as well. The post wasn't meant to be harmful. Webster agrees with the statement in the OP

Merriam - Webster - Definition of suicide

1 the act or an instance of taking one's own life voluntarily and intentionally

2 : one that commits or attempts suicide

Synonyms for suicide - self-destruction, self-murder, self-slaughter

Merriam-Webster is not God's Word.

M

Miri

Only one thing is unforgivable, that’s rejecting the salvation freely offered.

Regarding suicide generally. If the person was born again I would say they
go to heaven. Mental illness is an illness. Just like a broken leg or cancer.

However if someone is contemplating suicide, they should seek help and speak
to their doctor. The fact they are considering it shows they are unwell. God does
not want us to throw our lives away. Our lives are so prescious that Jesus gave His
own life for us.

M

Miri

My brother was an alcoholic he tried to kill Himself 3 times. Fortunately he failed and
many years later he got off the booze. Suicide is a terrible thing, it affects everyone who
knows the person in ways you can’t imagine unless you have been there.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Jan 18, 2019
Only one thing is unforgivable, that’s rejecting the salvation freely offered.

Regarding suicide generally. If the person was born again I would say they
go to heaven. Mental illness is an illness. Just like a broken leg or cancer.

However if someone is contemplating suicide, they should seek help and speak
to their doctor. The fact they are considering it shows they are unwell. God does
not want us to throw our lives away. Our lives are so prescious that Jesus gave His
own life for us.
What if youve sought help and there is none?

M

Miri

There is always help but a depressed person may struggle to realise it or
engage with the help offered. Part of being depressed is a distorted view
point and perspective which clouds judgement.

Most other illnesses are of the physical body and people talk about being ill and
hope to get better physically. The trouble with depression, anxiety, etc is that
people perceive it as being, inside the mind and that it can’t be helped.

But very real physiological and hormonal changes do occur. Sometimes it can even be
down to lack of nutrition - lack of certain vitimains and minerals causes depression etc.
If only people would look at depression, etc as a physical illness where the body has gone
wrong and it needs putting right. Instead of internalising it and thinking it’s who they are.
Then maybe they could battle it and put it into perspective.
Just as a broken leg needs professional help and time to heal, so does a broken mind.

People tend to wear depression as if it’s part of them, but it’s not, just as cancer isn’t
part of who a person is.

Interestingly I came across these verse the other day which I found really
intriguing.

2 Timothy 1:6-7 NKJV

[6] Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through
the laying on of my hands. [7] For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but
of power and of love and of a sound mind.

I’ve come across verse 7 before but it’s the first time I realised it was paired with
verse 6. It suggests stirring ourselves in God, stirring up our gifts, realising who we are
in Christ properly. Discovering our significance in Christ and our worth, is the answer.

A depressed person spends a lot of time listening to their inner voice. Maybe they need to
stop that and focus on God’s voice.

A depressed person will think they are useless. But God says I love you with an
everlasting love.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"I believe perhaps this is a good time and place to share my thoughts, not to offend nor judge,
but to share from this side of the 'glass'. We should ALL, stop and take an inventory of ourselves,
and fully realize, some of the new comers here on CC are very likely reaching out for HELP, this
may include some of the 'seniors' also...expression and character of 'words' often disclose hidden
'emotions' that may be difficult to fully disclose. Ego is often a thief of ones own self worth. As 'proclaimed'
'Christians'...we should strive to hold each other up, not to tear one another down, for what purpose
is there to...'disagree, debate, analyze and go to great lengths to impress who interprets the Divine
Words the best...does not Ego play a role, each shall have their own 'opinion'...a lively discussion
is of certain value...I personally chose

"I believe if NEEDED bad enough, help shall be found. Remember, we can do and be all we want,
so long as we sincerely want to, and never have doubt!"
'Praise God'

Attachments