Suicide

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
That is not scripture AT ALL .......unless you repent. Where in the world/bible did you conclude that from?

Very miss leading.
If you think every Christian has duly repented of every sin....think again.

KD

Nov 20, 2018
Today March 27, 2019 marks the 8th year that my step-daughter took her own life. Some things just refuse to heal.

Star,

Although the wounds may never fully heal with prayer and patience they do get more bearable. This past fall marked 23 years since my father took his own life. The pain used to be all consuming. I used to dread that time of year. Over the past few years it’s actually made it to the anniversary before I even realized. I hope you and your spouse experience healing in this area. Such a tough road to navigate.

Peace and blessings

Mar 29, 2019
If you commit suicide do you go to hell? What if you have failed at suicide then later die of natural causes?
Suicide or murder is a work of the flesh. Believers are not saved or unsaved by their works, "It is by grace we are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it (salvation) is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9). "In Him, you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory." (Ephesians 1:13-14.) That being said, all believers have a purpose in their lives, which is to bring glory onto God and share the Gospel of Christ. If we focus on being a shining light to others by walking in faith, and resting in Christ and allowing Him to take our burdens from us, we will be victorious. We may not understand why many of us endure terrible trials in our lives, such as serious health concerns, death of loved one(s), divorce, loss of job/income, home, family; physically and emotionally beaten, etc., but we must not lean on our own understanding but rather rely on the knowledge that God loves us, and that He wants us to take good care of the body that He created for us during our temporary time here on earth.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Are you GOD? If not how could you possibly know what every Christian has done or is doing period?
I know what I'm doing. And I assume other sinners are not so different.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Suicide or murder is a work of the flesh. Believers are not saved or unsaved by their works, "It is by grace we are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it (salvation) is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9). "In Him, you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory." (Ephesians 1:13-14.) That being said, all believers have a purpose in their lives, which is to bring glory onto God and share the Gospel of Christ. If we focus on being a shining light to others by walking in faith, and resting in Christ and allowing Him to take our burdens from us, we will be victorious. We may not understand why many of us endure terrible trials in our lives, such as serious health concerns, death of loved one(s), divorce, loss of job/income, home, family; physically and emotionally beaten, etc., but we must not lean on our own understanding but rather rely on the knowledge that God loves us, and that He wants us to take good care of the body that He created for us during our temporary time here on earth.
Amen Brother....well spoken.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017

I don't have to think again.
You need to read and study scripture.
You must explain your comments. A true Christian will repent of a sin immediately or before he/she goes to bed at night and will repent in the morning (put on the coat of armor) to begin the day. That is how it works.
I speak of a true Christian. Not a secular christian.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Today March 27, 2019 marks the 8th year that my step-daughter took her own life. Some things just refuse to heal.
G-d does not limit the things we can bring to Him in prayer. He does not limit the times we can bring an item to Him in prayer.
Also find comfort in the fact that you and I do not know the detailed relationship a suicide has with G-d before committing the act.
G-d bless your bereavement and may He bring it to an end..

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Your position raises questions of your correct scriptural understanding.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
In respect to our conversation. So You are the standard to which we should judge what another is doing. You also said,
As was implied we can't possibly know what another is doing or has done.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
It’s not sinning I’m talking about. It’s the complete feeling of despair that causes the sin. I don’t see how anyone can commit their life, believe He is Lord and has eternal rewards in store for them and still be so upset about their current situation to end it permanently. It just doesn’t compute. It’s not a natural desire for any organism to want to die. You have to reach an ultimate low, and feel like there is no way out. I just don’t see how you can have saving faith and still reach that level of despair. It’s not a quick decision. People who make that choice have thought about it for a long time. Within that time if they haven’t considered what God thinks about it then they really don’t care what God thinks.
Exactly! You do not understand mental illness or depression. Sometimes it is situational, but most of the time it is a chemical imbalance in the brain. The physical brain! Nothing to do with the Spirit!

Many Christians have become depressed. At one point, when my RA was so bad I couldn't get out of bed, I turned my face away from God. For 2 years. I was angry at God, but he was not angry at me! He allowed me to go through it, so when helped me recover, he gave me a ministry of helping the hurting and broken. I never stopped believing in God, but I wanted nothing to do with him. God told me to read 5 Psalms a day, which I did for 2 years. First thing was realizing how the health and wealth gospel was found no where in the Psalms. People hurt and cried out to God. That is what believers do. Our lives aren't perfect in a fallen world, and when bad things happen, we generally either lash out at God, or turn away. But, God can use it for his glory.

So next time you go talking about things you know NOTHING about, maybe read the Psalms or Job and learn that sometimes the most faithful servant of God who is hurting, can be driven off the deep end. I can only praise God for leading me safely through the valley of the shadow of death!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
If someones not in their right mind they need God more than anything because God does not give us a spirit of fear, but one of love, and power and a SOUND MIND.

Doublemindedness is an affliction, we are to be singleminded for God.
Someone who is doubleminded is being influenced by satan. They are constantly vacilliating or wavering between right and wrong. They cannot receive anything from God if they continue to be in two minds about Him.

With something like bipolar disorder, the mind is unstable and sensitive to outside influences, its not balanced. What I learned is one needs to fix ones mind on God, who gives us His peace, and is the solid rock so that we will NOT waver. When you do that, bipolar disorder will leave. It the enemy trying to influence and rock the boat so that you will have a breakdown or capsize. But what was Jesus like on the boat, even in the storm? He was having a nap! He was so calm and peaceful, and completely trusting in His Father!
Such nonsense! Bipolar disorder is a physical brain disorder. It can be helped with drugs, and many people who are not Christian live normal lives with it, provided they stay on their meds. (And Christians, too!) And while people were afflicted in the Bible by demons, that is not the same as modern bipolar.

I run a bipolar group, some are Christians, some are atheist, Buddhist and we had a Muslim once for a while. The symptoms were all the same, because bipolar disorder is not spiritual. One woman is a very strong Christian. She is really bad, has to take lots of meds. But she befriends everyone in the forum, and witnesses to them. And prays for people. I feel sorry she has bipolar so badly, but she is content to be in a ministry not many people go into. I also stand up for Christ, although I am more there to keep things running smoothly.

The word translated as "sound mind" in the KJV is σωφρονισμοῦ in Greek. It is a hapax legomena, meaning it is only found one time in the Bible. Paul uses a cognate word in 1 Tim. 3:2, as "prudent, thoughtful, self-controlled." In fact, Paul uses this to describe in this context, a combination of the characteristics of prudence and self-discipline. While "sound mind" could be a use of the word, it does not fit the context of the chapter and book. It is not talking about mental illness, but rather that as Christians we have to have self control or discipline.* So try quoting a newer version, which uses modern language.

In fact, bipolar disorder is just another disease! God does heal, but not everyone. I find it hard to believe you were ever truly bipolar, probably borderline is more like it. But again, I am talking to you.

*George W. Knight III, The Pastoral Epistles, from the New International Greek Testament Commentary, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, MI, 1992, 372.

TLC209

Mar 20, 2019
Merced, CA
Exactly! You do not understand mental illness or depression. Sometimes it is situational, but most of the time it is a chemical imbalance in the brain. The physical brain! Nothing to do with the Spirit!

Many Christians have become depressed. At one point, when my RA was so bad I couldn't get out of bed, I turned my face away from God. For 2 years. I was angry at God, but he was not angry at me! He allowed me to go through it, so when helped me recover, he gave me a ministry of helping the hurting and broken. I never stopped believing in God, but I wanted nothing to do with him. God told me to read 5 Psalms a day, which I did for 2 years. First thing was realizing how the health and wealth gospel was found no where in the Psalms. People hurt and cried out to God. That is what believers do. Our lives aren't perfect in a fallen world, and when bad things happen, we generally either lash out at God, or turn away. But, God can use it for his glory.

So next time you go talking about things you know NOTHING about, maybe read the Psalms or Job and learn that sometimes the most faithful servant of God who is hurting, can be driven off the deep end. I can only praise God for leading me safely through the valley of the shadow of death!
My brother killed himself when he was 22. I thought he went to hell because of the scriptures said our bodies are the temple of God. Thou shalt not murder etc etc.

And then God showed me Romans 8.
5 Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. 6 So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.7 For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God’s laws, and it never will. 8 That’s why those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God.
9 But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.) 10 And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life because you have been made right with God.

So this opened my eyes. The flesh that we still live in, if we are lead by it, will lead us to death. So if someone has a disorder that controls their mind and they yield to it, like in my brothers case depression, or cannot control their mind because the flesh is weak. This scripture says even though the body will die because of sin or suicide, the Holy Spirit that lives in you will give you life because the person has been made right with God.

Now this is circumstantial and only God truly knows a persons heart and what psychological disorders or mental problems a person is dealing with. We can't just resort to suicide because it is sin. We are to resist our flesh if we are dealing with this issue. But maybe someone with serious mental health issues may not be as strong to resist. Only God is judge in such cases.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Such nonsense! Bipolar disorder is a physical brain disorder. It can be helped with drugs, and many people who are not Christian live normal lives with it, provided they stay on their meds. (And Christians, too!) And while people were afflicted in the Bible by demons, that is not the same as modern bipolar.

I run a bipolar group, some are Christians, some are atheist, Buddhist and we had a Muslim once for a while. The symptoms were all the same, because bipolar disorder is not spiritual. One woman is a very strong Christian. She is really bad, has to take lots of meds. But she befriends everyone in the forum, and witnesses to them. And prays for people. I feel sorry she has bipolar so badly, but she is content to be in a ministry not many people go into. I also stand up for Christ, although I am more there to keep things running smoothly.

The word translated as "sound mind" in the KJV is σωφρονισμοῦ in Greek. It is a hapax legomena, meaning it is only found one time in the Bible. Paul uses a cognate word in 1 Tim. 3:2, as "prudent, thoughtful, self-controlled." In fact, Paul uses this to describe in this context, a combination of the characteristics of prudence and self-discipline. While "sound mind" could be a use of the word, it does not fit the context of the chapter and book. It is not talking about mental illness, but rather that as Christians we have to have self control or discipline.* So try quoting a newer version, which uses modern language.

In fact, bipolar disorder is just another disease! God does heal, but not everyone. I find it hard to believe you were ever truly bipolar, probably borderline is more like it. But again, I am talking to you.

*George W. Knight III, The Pastoral Epistles, from the New International Greek Testament Commentary, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, MI, 1992, 372.
Um yea i was ask my mum and dad or the doctors. No wasnt borderline. Fine dont believe me.
I suffered from the time i was 16 and was hosptialised twice. And on many many drugs.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
For those of you who suffer i have this to offer...Jesus can set you free.

He doesnt do this if you are not willing to be set free though.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think the hardest thing is on families that need to deal with a mentally ill member when they dont know what to do. Well let me tell you you can always pray. Prayer is the best weapon. Preayer combined with fasting even better.