TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

AlmondJoy

Oct 31, 2020
NT is about going forward and changing others lives
how do you suggest we change others' lives? what can we use if we do not have an infallible NT?

AlmondJoy

Oct 31, 2020
TOTALLY AGREE. I HAVE AN INTERESTING ONE THOUGH. WHY DID THE PHARISEES QUESTION JOHN THE BAPTIST ABOUT WHY HE WAS BAPTIZING? DO YOU KNOW THE ORIGINS OF BAPTIZING? IT BRINGS A LOT OF THINGS THAT USE TO PUZZLE ME, INTO FOCUS.
ALSO, TITHING IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT BIBLICAL LOL I ALWAYS HAD AN INSTINCT ON THAT ONE. ALWAYS TURNED ME OFF TO A PASTOR/PREACHER. ANSWER LIES IN HOW TITHING ORIGINATED
If Jesus himself told you that you ought to do something would you argue with him or just do it?

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Just because different writers present different aspects of the same event does not mean that there was an error or a mistranslation. So since you brought this up why don't we try to harmonize the accounts.

1. In Matthew we read that Judas cast down the thirty pieces of silver in the temple and went and hanged himself (with no further comment). The chief priests refused to take the money back but purchased the potter's field with it, so that "strangers" (presumably non-Jews) could be buried there (similar to Boot Hill for outlaws in the Wild West). And because it was blood money, the field was called Akeldama (the Field of Blood) in Aramaic.

2. Mark simply states that Judas went to chief priests to betray Christ.

3. Luke says that Judas went to the chief priests and captains, and they covenanted to give him money.

4. John says that the devil put it into the heart of Judas to betray Christ. So after Christ fed Judas a morsel, Satan entered into him, and Christ sent him on his way to do what he planned to do. (Jesus knew all this in advance).

5. In Acts Peter said that it was Judas who purchased the field. But that would simply be because the money belonged to Judas. However Peter also said that Judas fell headlong and burst asunder in the midst of the field, and his intestines gushed out. Therefore we must conclude that after Akeldama was purchased, Judas heard about it, went to visit it, hanged himself in that field (presumably from a tree standing there), and when he died he fell to the earth and his abdomen was injured very seriously (perhaps impaled by a sharp rock).
Thanks

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
THIS IS EASILY THE MOST COMMON WAY THE BIBLE IS PERVERTED, BY CHRISTIANS AND NON CHRISTIANS ALIKE
THERE IS A LIST OF COMMONLY MISUSED OR APPLIED BIBLICAL QUOTES ALSO.

PEOPLE OFTEN LOVE TO QUOTE "JUDGE NOT AND YE SHALL NOT BE JUDGED" AS JESUS TELLING US NOT TO JUDGE. NOT TRUE.

PEOPLE NEED TO REMEMBER THAT TIMES WERE DIFFERET, MUCH DIFFERENT IN JESUS' TIME. NOBODY HAD HEARD THE GOSPEL YET.
The apostles were originally only preaching to Jews.
The NT might be infallable, but that doesnt mean the words of the apostles were. Paul and Peter and the others had a major disagreement on whether new converts of followers of Jesus had to become Jewish first, do they now need to be strict in their obedience to the Mosaic Law
Scripture taken out of context is responable for all kinds of evil.
My opinion is simple. OT = thou shalt not NT = Thou shalt.
NT is about going forward and changing others lives, and when doing so, you automatically change yourself for the better. Dont focus on sin, sins, sinning, as more love comes into your heart, less sinning is inevitable
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

you lost me here

“PEOPLE OFTEN LOVE TO QUOTE "JUDGE NOT AND YE SHALL NOT BE JUDGED" AS JESUS TELLING US NOT TO JUDGE. NOT TRUE.”

Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:35‬ ‭

“And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:18-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

it’s not going to change from Jesus jidgement he is the only way to believe the gospel things like the first example I could t get past in your post sorry I meant to read the whole thing but saw where it was leading

what Jesus said is going to judge us and will Never change we can believe him and repent and be saved or reject what he said and explain it away but then ……

“He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.”
‭‭John‬ ‭12:48-50‬ ‭KJV‬‬

To accept Christs word is life to learn to forgive others , not condemn sinners like the Pharisees continually did , but to embrace them , love them , forgive them and teach them about repentance and his eternal Kingdom , like Jesus continually did

It’s not a good idea to reject Jesus authority and judgement

“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:10‬ ‭

he’s told us all his judgements in the gospel like was written that he would

“Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people. My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭51:4-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

so we aren’t ignorant anymore believing the gospel teaches us the jidgement so we can repent and turn to him in truth it’s going to remain what Jesus said until he returns to judge the world all we have to do is accept repentance and believe the gospel

“And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.”

‭‭Acts‬ ‭17:30-31‬ ‭

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
So if I throw my monies as bad people, and they take that money and pay for prostitutes, I would be held liable for prostitution?

Reaching . . . we're reaching Billy! :)

Good to see you. It's been a while, sir. :D
isn't it called pimping? I do follow your posts.

I assume you mean that you do not believe every single word in the bible is given by the Holy Spirit. But doctrinally the scriptures are in agreement one with another.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
isn't it called pimping? I do follow your posts.

I assume you mean that you do not believe every single word in the bible is given by the Holy Spirit. But doctrinally the scriptures are in agreement one with another.
I find it impossible that the Holy Spirit would guide and teach the Apostles to in fact, guide and teach Gentiles and Jews alike to follow the Law of Moses.

Acts 15:29 NLT - "You must abstain from eating food offered to idols, from consuming blood or the meat of strangled animals, and from sexual immorality. If you do this, you will do well. Farewell."

And then we see the correction in 1 Corinthians:

1 Corinthians 8:10 NLT - "For if others see you--with your "superior knowledge"--eating in the temple of an idol, won't they be encouraged to violate their conscience by eating food that has been offered to an idol?"

The Acts 15 quite cannot possibly be correct, for the idea is corrected in 1 Corinthians.

Hey, I could always be wrong . . . I am always open to that possibility and fact.

Jul 1, 2021
Except for the two stories of Potters Field and who actually bought it with the 30 pieces of silver (that was in the hands of Judas).

I know that this isn't what your post is about (and sorry for that), but after looking at the two accounts of Potters Field, I can no longer say that the NT is infallible. Or, perhaps humans mistranslated the original text . . . of which I would not know as I am not a "scholar."

Ok, back to your post! :D
Here is another one that has me scratching my head:

The thief on the cross, in the gospel of Matthew there is no repentant thief on the cross, but both reviled Jesus.

The explanation I have heard is that the guy reviled at first and then changed his mind, but this explanation is very humanistic and lacking at best. This is the type of argumentation you'd use on a human court case, not the word of God.

I believe I will eventually figure out the truth about this one, but I will not let it change my faith in the Bible. I have had other verses in the past i've struggled with and eventually figured out that they were right all along, once properly understood.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
The thief on the cross, in the gospel of Matthew there is no repentant thief on the cross, but both reviled Jesus.
What a sweet find! I love it. :)

And to the aggressive folks, here, no . . . I'm not saying that I love errors. I'm saying that it is wise for us to be aware of these kinds of issues so that we know how to address them in the future. I "love" learning new things and elements of the Bible that are obvious . . . and this is what appears to be obvious.

Anyway, I've added your discovery to my ongoing database, or commentary. Thanks for point this out!

Jul 1, 2021
What a sweet find! I love it. :)

And to the aggressive folks, here, no . . . I'm not saying that I love errors. I'm saying that it is wise for us to be aware of these kinds of issues so that we know how to address them in the future. I "love" learning new things and elements of the Bible that are obvious . . . and this is what appears to be obvious.

Anyway, I've added your discovery to my ongoing database, or commentary. Thanks for point this out!
Wait you got a whole list of these? Care to show a few?

What is your explanation for them?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Why did you fail to read all the other Gospels? In the beginning both those malefactors mocked Christ, but later on one of them repented and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, and even believe that He would be King over His eternal Kingdom.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Why did you fail to read all the other Gospels? In the beginning both those malefactors mocked Christ, but later on one of them repented and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, and even believe that He would be King over His eternal Kingdom.
Can you show us the passages, please? I'd appreciate it so that I can update my notes. Thanks.

Jul 1, 2021
I did read, and mentioned it in my post, did you not read my post? Why did you fail to read my post? I specifically mentioned this explanation in it.
Luke's gospel is the only one with the repentant thief and that explanation you gave is very weak.

It may work on a human level but this is the word of God we are talking about.
Actually, even in human court that explanation probably wouldn't hold up.

Jul 1, 2021
Can you show us the passages, please? I'd appreciate it so that I can update my notes. Thanks.
I went to look for the verses and you know how Biblehub always gives you the cross references? If you look up sermon on the mount in Matthew it shows the Luke version of it too? Well surprise, I looked up this one in

Luke 23:40
But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence?

and the Matthew passage wasnt suggested:

Matthew 27:44
The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Luke 23: ONE CRIMINAL WAS SAVED BY GRACE WHILE CRUCIFIED FOR HIS CRIMES

BOTH THE CRIMINALS SAW THE SUPERSCRIPTION AND MULLED IT OVER
38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS. [Note: The full superscription said "THIS IS JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS]

ONE CRIMINAL CONTINUED TO MOCK CHRIST
39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

THE OTHER CRIMINAL REBUKED HIM
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

THE REPENTANT CRIMINAL SAW CHRIST AS TOTALLY INNOCENT
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

THE REPENTANT CRIMINAL CALLED JESUS "LORD" AND SAW HIM AS KING
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

THE REPENTANT CRIMINAL WAS SAVED BY GRACE AND PROMISED PARADISE
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
I went to look for the verses and you know how Biblehub always gives you the cross references? If you look up sermon on the mount in Matthew it shows the Luke version of it too? Well surprise, I looked up this one in

Luke 23:40
But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence?

and the Matthew passage wasnt suggested:

Thanks for doing the work! I'm so busy with my own studies, I don't have the time to look up all things that all people want us to look up. So again, thanks! :D

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021

38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS. [Note: The full superscription said "THIS IS JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS]

39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
So, you don't have any scriptures that show that the one thief changed his mind. Thanks anyway.

Jul 1, 2021

You forgot

where both thieves revile Jesus

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
@Hakawaka re: your Post #48 (about the two thieves)...

Consider the following post:

Post #98,744 - https://christianchat.com/threads/not-by-works.146296/post-3912493

--AND...from other poster's article, in the post immediately above mine there (at link):
[quoting from article] "Thus we see that once again our difficulty in figuring out a “contradiction in Scripture” comes about by assuming that two similar things are the same." ; His article says pretty much what I was trying to explain in brief, in my post. = )