Talking to the dead.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
It would, if they knew they would be caught.
"Would" or "would not" is a matter of opinion. It IS not, in part because some people think they won't get caught. More often, though, serious crimes of violence are committed in the heat of the moment, when the person is not thinking rationally about the consequences of their actions. Therefore potential consequences are not a deterrent.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
If the death penalty was a deterrent, they wouldn't be on death row in the first place.
Once the death penalty has been carried out, those that have been executed are deterred forever. What the real shame is it takes about 12-15 years of appeals and overviews before one is executed.

Ecc. 8:11 "Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil." :cool:

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
Once the death penalty has been carried out, those that have been executed are deterred forever.
When criminal scientists talk about deterrents to crime, they're talking about deterrents to committing a crime in the first place. The potential consequence of a death penalty has not been shown to effectively deter the initial commission of a capital crime.

Your argument makes terminal cancer just as much of a deterrent to crime as the death penalty.

U

UnderGrace

Once the death penalty has been carried out, those that have been executed are deterred forever. What the real shame is it takes about 12-15 years of appeals and overviews before one is executed.

Ecc. 8:11 "Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil." :cool:
Yeah, I do not think the point was understood the first time you posted.
They are deterred from committing more crime.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
There is progressive revelation in the Bible and the NT teaches that we survive, fully conscious after death. But talking to the dead is only permissible when God allows discarnate souls to initiate contact in a visionary or auditory ADC. As a pastor, I saw what a comforting and powerful way this is to ease our grief and make us rejoice in the Lord's promises. I will be laying out the case for immediate postmortem survival in my NDE and ADC thread, when I finish my litany of case histories which have been a blessing to so many.

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
"criminal scientists"?

Lock 'em up.
Heh. You win the contest I had in my head for who would be the first to comment on that. I almost changed it to "criminologists," but that would have voided the contest...

AxeElf

Mar 5, 2019
Social science research....yup always so valid and reliable:D
Do you have facts and evidence to support the notion that social science research is less valid or reliable than any other form of research, or shall I just write this off as an unsubstantiated accusation springing from your personal disagreement with the findings in question?

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Heh. You win the contest I had in my head for who would be the first to comment on that. I almost changed it to "criminologists," but that would have voided the contest...
I charge rent for being in folks heads.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
I'll wait for the eviction notice.

S

Susanna

I'll wait for the eviction notice.
I wonder how the brain lord will carry out the eviction. Is self help eviction lawful in this shady area of common law?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
GOd wants you to talk to Him, not dead people.

Sorry. Good luck talking to a dead person. He or she aint gonna answer.