Taming the tongue

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MicaelOhagan

Banned
Apr 13, 2026
174
47
28
Blackpool
Id really like to have an open Christian conversation about this daily internal battle
It's where the rubber of Christianity really hits the road
The ego, or flesh, as Paul calls it
Really is in total opposition to the spirit
It's patient, cunning, and relentless
Well
At least
That's my daily experience
 
  • Like
Reactions: markss
Not really the right forum in my mind. Maybe like Miscellaneous, Family, Bible Study, and Even Testimonies. My best guess would be Bible Study is the right spot, just add some scripture. Since your here, what Bible verses you got, and go ahead and start the discussion.
 
Not really the right forum in my mind. Maybe like Miscellaneous, Family, Bible Study, and Even Testimonies. My best guess would be Bible Study is the right spot, just add some scripture. Since your here, what Bible verses you got, and go ahead and start the discussion.
Sorry
I'm not into the chapter and verse quoting group
I'm interested in sharing the daily "battle" with fellow Christians
If it's not your " thing" that's ok
I don't need to be redirected
I'm on a Christian site
And consider everyone as at least equal to me
If not
Superior
May The Spirit of Pure Love fill your heart and guide your mind until "the day"
 
  • Like
Reactions: markss
Sorry
I'm not into the chapter and verse quoting group
I'm interested in sharing the daily "battle" with fellow Christians
If it's not your " thing" that's ok
I don't need to be redirected
I'm on a Christian site
And consider everyone as at least equal to me
If not
Superior
May The Spirit of Pure Love fill your heart and guide your mind until "the day"
James said that if you learn to control your tongue you'll be able to control the rest of your self. So that's a good reason to learn!

I've learned that the "internal chatter" can be converted to prayer and fellowship with God.

Much love!
 
James said that if you learn to control your tongue you'll be able to control the rest of your self. So that's a good reason to learn!

I've learned that the "internal chatter" can be converted to prayer and fellowship with God.

Much love!
Oh wow
Someone who at least
In the surface
Seems prepared to take the "problem" on

My experience is that the internal voice of the ego, or the flesh, as Paul puts it is powerful
And therefore
I find myself not doing what I want to
But the opposite
Please don't quote me scripture
I'm more interested in taking on and sharing the internal battle
That scripture clearly describes
For me
The answer seems to be
Take every thought captive for Christ
Here the real battle ground
The thought
Not the tongue
 
  • Like
Reactions: markss
I'm more interested in taking on and sharing the internal battle
That scripture clearly describes
For me
The answer seems to be
Take every thought captive for Christ
Here the real battle ground
The thought
Not the tongue
Agreed! I would add, not just our thoughts, but our feelings also.

The more quickly we can become consciously aware that our thoughts have skewed towards the flesh the more quickly we can work to get a handle on them.

I find learning to control my words to others is good discipline towards learning to control my thoughts, but again, yes, the mind is where the real battle is taking place.

We have a manner of living we are used to, before we were born again, with a brain built around that. I like to compare this to driving a wrecked car. We are God's children, but our bodies are corrupted by sin, so, like you say, I don't do what I want, and I do what I don't want.

As time goes on, if we are working at it, we can learn how to correct for the lack of brakes, and the suspension that pulls to the side, and whatever.

Much love!
 
Agreed! I would add, not just our thoughts, but our feelings also.

The more quickly we can become consciously aware that our thoughts have skewed towards the flesh the more quickly we can work to get a handle on them.

I find learning to control my words to others is good discipline towards learning to control my thoughts, but again, yes, the mind is where the real battle is taking place.

We have a manner of living we are used to, before we were born again, with a brain built around that. I like to compare this to driving a wrecked car. We are God's children, but our bodies are corrupted by sin, so, like you say, I don't do what I want, and I do what I don't want.

As time goes on, if we are working at it, we can learn how to correct for the lack of brakes, and the suspension that pulls to the side, and whatever.

Much love!
I like your "down to earth" description
I've learnt
Or at least am in the process of learning that the real battle line is drawn in
Take every thought captive for Christ
Or words meaning that
I'm not suggesting for one minute
I've arrived
But I'm striving towards the goal
Faulteringly admittedly
 
  • Like
Reactions: markss
I like your "down to earth" description
I've learnt
Or at least am in the process of learning that the real battle line is drawn in
Take every thought captive for Christ
Or words meaning that
I'm not suggesting for one minute
I've arrived
But I'm striving towards the goal
Faulteringly admittedly
Life constantly throws up
Not challenges
But learning opportunities
I work in a busy and chaotic hotel kitchen
That's totally ego driven
And my "mission"
To flicker gently like a candle
No need for making an open profession
Which in all honesty
Would go down like a lead balloon
But
I've been there for only 5 months
And
Already
Virtually all the staff are being drawn towards the light
And when the time is right
If only for one of them
I'll witness
 
Jesus said, 'out of the heart, the mouth speaks'. To tame the tongue, one must deal with the heart. The Bible says a lot about a 'pure heart'. Worth the study.
 
  • Like
Reactions: gb9
Jesus said, 'out of the heart, the mouth speaks'. To tame the tongue, one must deal with the heart. The Bible says a lot about a 'pure heart'. Worth the study.

100% true.

as i heard a pastor say many years ago " if it is in there ( speaking of the heart), at some point it will come out".

as a lot of things are, it is not so much a head issue, it is a heart issue.