Teaching the understanding repentance

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
what was the Lord teaching here about repentance and the rewards of turning back towards home ?

“And he said, A certain man had two sons:

And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.

And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

And he arose, and came to his father.

But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.

But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭15:11-13, 15-24‬ ‭

It doesn’t seem as if the father wanted to be right , wanted his son to beg and crawl , but it was the realization of how far his decisions had taken him from home , that brought him to himself

when He acknowledged his own wrong choices had brought him there he was freed to go home and tell the father he had come to his senses . The whole time the father was simply waiting to see his son coming home so he could hug and kiss him

maybe we think about repentance the wrong way ? A thought to consider

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
This Story from Scripture is the perfect example of "free will." It also serves well to display what repentance is.

Simple definition of repentance is "to turn from."

In this Story; the young man was living within the loving grace of his father, but chose to exercise his free will to leave. During his time "out of his fathers loving grace," he discovered the truth of the evilness that controls this would we live in. When he reached his lowest point, the young man remembered how blessed he had been living in his fathers loving grace, and REPENTED (turned from his sinfilled life) and returned to his fathers house. He was met with the undying love of his father, who welcomed him with open arms, and reinstated him into the loving grace he had chose to leave.

God, our Heavenly Father, will do the same for ALL who stray from His loving grace. ALL we have to do is "repent," and return to Him.

He will never leave us or forsake us! His love is forever!

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
what was the Lord teaching here about repentance and the rewards of turning back towards home ?

“And he said, A certain man had two sons:

And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.

And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

And he arose, and came to his father.

But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.

But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭15:11-13, 15-24‬ ‭

It doesn’t seem as if the father wanted to be right , wanted his son to beg and crawl , but it was the realization of how far his decisions had taken him from home , that brought him to himself

when He acknowledged his own wrong choices had brought him there he was freed to go home and tell the father he had come to his senses . The whole time the father was simply waiting to see his son coming home so he could hug and kiss him

maybe we think about repentance the wrong way ? A thought to consider
The word 'repentance ' is not there ?

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
This Story from Scripture is the perfect example of "free will." It also serves well to display what repentance is.

Simple definition of repentance is "to turn from."

In this Story; the young man was living within the loving grace of his father, but chose to exercise his free will to leave. During his time "out of his fathers loving grace," he discovered the truth of the evilness that controls this would we live in. When he reached his lowest point, the young man remembered how blessed he had been living in his fathers loving grace, and REPENTED (turned from his sinfilled life) and returned to his fathers house. He was met with the undying love of his father, who welcomed him with open arms, and reinstated him into the loving grace he had chose to leave.

God, our Heavenly Father, will do the same for ALL who stray from His loving grace. ALL we have to do is "repent," and return to Him.

He will never leave us or forsake us! His love is forever!
yes amen !

I believe it’s why the sinners always came near to hear Jesus teachings , and the self righteous always stood at a distance and judged those sinners and Jesus for accepting them

if you are righteous the message of repentance and remission of sins doesn’t have a lot of value but if you can acknowledge your own imperfections and shortcomings then a message of repentance , forgiveness , mercy , and teachings made of faith has more value than anything

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
yes amen !

I believe it’s why the sinners always came near to hear Jesus teachings , and the self righteous always stood at a distance and judged those sinners and Jesus for accepting them

if you are righteous the message of repentance and remission of sins doesn’t have a lot of value but if you can acknowledge your own imperfections and shortcomings then a message of repentance , forgiveness , mercy , and teachings made of faith has more value than anything
A message of ' grace , forgiveness, redemption , and a free gift is good news to sinners .

DiscipleA

Apr 17, 2020
Northeast Pennsylvania USA
I think the illustration makes more sense when the Father symbolizes our heavenly Father. Some people don't know their earthly father and we don't need to return to our earthly father when we're grown. We All need be reconciled to our heavenly Father, no matter what age.