So I see a lot of posts online about how cell phones are so bad and we're all so addicted to them (all of which have been viewed on my cell
) and I have to say that I'm getting kinda tired of it. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who are quite literally addicted to their phone, but here's just my own opinion on the matter.
I personally am quite thankful for the technology we have. If I'm using my phone to chat with a good friend or family member who lives miles and miles away that without it, I wouldn't be able to, I'm not going to apologize. If I'm using my phone for my daily devotionals or to read scripture, I'm not going to apologize. If I'm using my phone to post Bible verses and testimonies for my non-Christian friends to see on Facebook, I'm not going to apologize. I mean...I probably will apologize because I'm Canadian and we apologize for everything here. But I won't feel bad
Cell phones and technology are also heavily blamed as the culprits for creating an anti-social generation. While this might be true for some people, I'd like to point out that there are a lot of us who are introverted, shy, quiet creatures by nature, and were so long before having a cell phone, or using the internet. I myself am one such creature. I enjoy technology for the fact that I can communicate with people without feeling massive social anxiety. Like the chat here, for example. If I'm in the lounge and there's twenty other people in there, I'll feel confident enough to add to the conversation. If I was with those same twenty people in real life? I would most likely be experiencing panic attacks.
When I'm on my break at work, I am usually on my phone. And I've gotten the typical "addicted to technology" comments from peers. Oddly enough, I get similar negative feedback while reading a book. In fact, I have gotten lectured about the fact that I simply don't initiate conversation with coworkers, even when I'm just sitting there, not using my phone, or reading a book. I gotta say; if you have a shy child and you want to make them hate themselves later in life, tell them they're too shy. I have been haunted and plagued by these two words my whole life; "too shy". It's no wonder I have social anxiety; I spent my life thinking there was something wrong with me. Like I had to be a bubbly extrovert to be normal. As I've gotten older though, I've realized that shyness is not a disease. Introverts are not broken. I like that God made me quiet. I like that He made me a listener. And I thank God for my extroverted, outgoing friends; without them, I probably wouldn't have any friends! They are the initiators of conversation; I am the receiver of said conversations. Shy people and outgoing people, believe it or not, make an excellent team
Also, I'd just like to add that though I am on my phone/reading a book quite often, if someone strikes up a conversation with me, I STOP what I'm doing and respond to them.
Lastly, it's not just the "young people" who become addicted to cell phones and technology. It is people in general. I know people in their forties, fifties, and sixties who spend a lot more time on their phones or computers than some twenty-year-olds I know.
Rant over
I personally am quite thankful for the technology we have. If I'm using my phone to chat with a good friend or family member who lives miles and miles away that without it, I wouldn't be able to, I'm not going to apologize. If I'm using my phone for my daily devotionals or to read scripture, I'm not going to apologize. If I'm using my phone to post Bible verses and testimonies for my non-Christian friends to see on Facebook, I'm not going to apologize. I mean...I probably will apologize because I'm Canadian and we apologize for everything here. But I won't feel bad
Cell phones and technology are also heavily blamed as the culprits for creating an anti-social generation. While this might be true for some people, I'd like to point out that there are a lot of us who are introverted, shy, quiet creatures by nature, and were so long before having a cell phone, or using the internet. I myself am one such creature. I enjoy technology for the fact that I can communicate with people without feeling massive social anxiety. Like the chat here, for example. If I'm in the lounge and there's twenty other people in there, I'll feel confident enough to add to the conversation. If I was with those same twenty people in real life? I would most likely be experiencing panic attacks.
When I'm on my break at work, I am usually on my phone. And I've gotten the typical "addicted to technology" comments from peers. Oddly enough, I get similar negative feedback while reading a book. In fact, I have gotten lectured about the fact that I simply don't initiate conversation with coworkers, even when I'm just sitting there, not using my phone, or reading a book. I gotta say; if you have a shy child and you want to make them hate themselves later in life, tell them they're too shy. I have been haunted and plagued by these two words my whole life; "too shy". It's no wonder I have social anxiety; I spent my life thinking there was something wrong with me. Like I had to be a bubbly extrovert to be normal. As I've gotten older though, I've realized that shyness is not a disease. Introverts are not broken. I like that God made me quiet. I like that He made me a listener. And I thank God for my extroverted, outgoing friends; without them, I probably wouldn't have any friends! They are the initiators of conversation; I am the receiver of said conversations. Shy people and outgoing people, believe it or not, make an excellent team
Also, I'd just like to add that though I am on my phone/reading a book quite often, if someone strikes up a conversation with me, I STOP what I'm doing and respond to them.
Lastly, it's not just the "young people" who become addicted to cell phones and technology. It is people in general. I know people in their forties, fifties, and sixties who spend a lot more time on their phones or computers than some twenty-year-olds I know.
Rant over