REVELATION 2:12-17 Test Your Church.
Church in Pergamos
As we start this study let us ask a word of wisdom from our Father; Father we ask in Jesus name that you give us eyes to see ears to hear and a heart to receive Your word. Amon
Verse 12. And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;
Verse 12. He that hath the sharp sword with to edges: This is Jesus and that sharp sword is His tongue, and Gods word does cut both ways. It cuts right to the quick the truth and that is what is important if you have eyes to see and ears to hear the truth that is.
Verse 13.I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth
Verse 13. Even where Satan's seat is: Right there in Jerusalem[ This is the time written about in Matthew 24:15, Mark 13:14 and 2nd Thessalonians 2:3-5.] Antipas in the Smiths bible dictionary meaning ( like the father) According to tradition the bishop of Pergamos before 100 AD. He was someone that was very much against Satan when he sat in that seat as bishop. In the end times there will one like him there again. I don't thank it will be one of the 2 witness that Satan kills and leaves dead in Jerusalem for 31/2 days till Jesus returns. Who ever that witness is will be very well prepared to carry out that job. It will be someone very special that God sends.
Verse 14. But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
Verse 14. But I “God” have a few things against you. Here we thought they were going to be doing real good. (and some were) Them comes along this doctrine of Balaam Strong's 903 Greek meaning false teacher but comes from the Hebrew word 1009 Beth-Arbel meaning house of Gods ambush. I sure would not want to be learning from that church or have anything to do with it unless God put me there. He might have to put a hook in my mouth and drag me their. What was the stumbling block? Idols and committing fornication. Idols any thing you put before God. In a church that could be the worship service, got to have the perfect song, the perfect singers, the new building project, church doctrine rather than God's doctrine. Committing fornication: Paul 2nd Corinthians 11:2&3 I am jealous over you with a godly jealousy for I have espoused you to one husband that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. Verse 3. But I fear by any means as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity of Christ. I know my pastor has that mind set he works hard to make sure that we have the understanding so we can be that chaste virgin. As the serpent (Satan) beguiled Strong's 1818 To seduce wholly; - beguile, deceive. Remember the parable of the 10 virgins 5 wise 5 foolish. The 5 wise had oil for there lamps as they waited for the bridegroom, the 5 foolish did not have enough oil (oil = understanding) they left to go find it but it was to late the bridegroom came and they missed out. Don't let yourself be found in a church like this. “Sweet loving Jesus He loves us all, we are all going to the sweet by and by all you have to do is believe” Believe what? The doctrine of Balaam; You don't need to study the book of Revelation you are going to be gone; Jesus is going to come and fly you away. The list goes on and on.
Verse 15. So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
Again more false doctrine; but even worse mingling themselves in the orgies of idolatrous feasts, They brought the impurities of those feasts into the meetings of the christian church.(from smiths bible dictionary pg447) O my church would not do that or would they? Dose your church celebrate the Passover which God said to do forever. Old testament, New testament, and until Jesus returns and sets up His kingdom right here on earth and maybe even then I am not sure. Or does your church celebrate the pagan holiday of rolling fertility eggs, sunrise worship ect known as Easter. You find the word Easter only in the King James Bible and then only in Acts and it clearly is mistranslated it should read Passover.
Verse 16. Repent or else I will come unto you quickly, and fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
If you find yourself in a church like that what does the star, the angle, that is sent from Jesus say to do? Stick around and enjoy the party NO!!! Repent and get out of there quickly and then leave them alone. No fight against them with the sword of My mouth. That two edged sword that cuts both ways. It is hard to do you will be rejected I have been told my ideas are to far out there, we just don't believe the way you do, or You are just not welcome here anymore. Not one of the churches I was asked to leave could show me from the bible why I was wrong. One church and I will never say the name told me to leave because I asked in Sunday school class about Mark 13:14 the pastor had been there 2 1/2 years and told me that half the people did not know where the book of Danial was and the other ½ did not know he was a prophet. That was the Shepard of the flock his job was to lead those people to good pasture. Make sure you test the fruit.