That Hebrews 10v26 Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
Hebrews 10

26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.
>Willfully living and continuing in sin is seen as adversarial to God. He calls you an adversary. One who fights against him? How do you fight against Him. Well if He has given you the Holy Spirit who is to lead you into all truth, the Spirit of Grace who is to convict you of sin and righteousness. Now you resist the Holy Spirit (who is in you). You set your face against Him, against His commands, against his leadings.

28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
>Here we have a contrasting passage. The writer will contrast the law under Moses against that of the New Covenant. What he is saying is this: If such a transgression under the old law received "X" punishment, then how much more serious is transgression under the new covenant..

29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?
>For someone to come to Christ, to understand the gravity of who they were in their old man, to fall at the feet of the King of Mercy, plead their case and receive such love when the Lord says "You are forgiven". To feel such elation the first time you feel that quickening and excitement when the Spirit uses you for His purposes. Then for the tempter to come back with His old tricks. For you to dip your toes into those waters again. To hear the voice of the Spirit saying "No my child, that is not for you". To bounce around in and out of sin and repentance (washing machine), each time the sin lasting longer, and each time the repentance being a little shorter, till you no longer are just tipping your toe into the pond, but you are diving headlong into it. No longer hearing God. No longer feeling any pangs of guilt or shame in what you are doing. You have trampled the Son of God underfoot. You have counted the blood of the covenant by which you were sanctified a common thing. You have insulted the Spirit of Grace. By now you have committed the unforgiveable sin.

30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
>Read that once again. Look for the words "His people". He is not applying this to the unregenerate. The lost who never knew Him. He applies this judgement against His people. Those who were at one time His. Apostasy is real, people.

32 But recall the former days in which, after you were illuminated, you endured a great struggle with sufferings: 33 partly while you were made a spectacle both by reproaches and tribulations, and partly while you became companions of those who were so treated;
>the walk of faith takes perseverance. It's not a ONE TIME FAST FOOD CHOICE to SUPERSIZE ME. It is a continual walk. It is continual faith and trust. It has hardships and obstacles along the way. Its called the endurance of the saints for a reason Rev14v12.

34 for you had compassion on me in my chains, and joyfully accepted the plundering of your goods, knowing that you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven. 35 Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward.
>imagine joyfully accepting the plundering of your goods. This is only possible for believers who continue in the faith. This would have broken many who were secure in their one-time-only-decision.

36 For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise:
>After you have done the will of God....Endurance....continuing in the faith is the TRUTH. Don't let deceivers tell you any different.
>Those who CONTINUE will RECEIVE THE PROMISE, all along doing the will of God.

37 “For yet a little while,
And He who is coming will come and will not tarry.
38 Now the just shall live by faith;
But if anyone draws back,
My soul has no pleasure in him.”
>It could not be clearer. You HAVE TO live by faith and no other way. Continually. Not giving up on God.
>Anyone drawing back from the faith (by this it means drawing back from Christ either in terms of profession, or of willful actions to quench the Spirit permanently (Heb10v26) has reached a point of no return.

39 But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.
>May none here reading this draw back, but press on in the faith - ones who (continually) believe WHICH RESULTS IN the saving of the soul.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
back again to noone being saved. you always end up in there lolz. its funny

it says "if we sin willfully" you say "Willfully living and continuing in sin". reason you put it is because you know that ok if hebrews 10:26 is taken verbatim it means no one is saved. everyone has sinned willfully against God after they got saved, so everyone has no sacrifice of Jesus anymore, so no one is saved. so you added continuing part there

good news: thats not what its saying

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017

it says "if we sin willfully" you say "Willfully living and continuing in sin". reason you put it is because you know that ok if hebrews 10:26 is taken verbatim it means no one is saved. everyone has sinned willfully against God after they got saved, so everyone has no sacrifice of Jesus anymore, so no one is saved. so you added continuing part there

Amplified Translation

Hebrews 10 (AMP)
26 For if we go on willfully and deliberately sinning after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice [to atone] for our sins [that is, no further offering to anticipate

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019

I wonder if he questions his own salvation. I doubt it. He probably just wants to inflict doubt on others.

I doubt he understands union with Christ and how this union produces fruit.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I don't see a problem accepting what God tells us about our willful sinning. If we take our sins to Christ for forgiveness and accept that sins are not good and need forgiveness, and take on the righteousness of Christ, we accept His forgiveness, we take on the being against sin that is Christ. If we don't do this we don't take on forgiveness. Without forgiveness there is no salvation. What is there about this to question?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Hebrews 10

26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.
>Willfully living and continuing in sin is seen as adversarial to God. He calls you an adversary. One who fights against him? How do you fight against Him. Well if He has given you the Holy Spirit who is to lead you into all truth, the Spirit of Grace who is to convict you of sin and righteousness. Now you resist the Holy Spirit (who is in you). You set your face against Him, against His commands, against his leadings.

28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
>Here we have a contrasting passage. The writer will contrast the law under Moses against that of the New Covenant. What he is saying is this: If such a transgression under the old law received "X" punishment, then how much more serious is transgression under the new covenant..

29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?
>For someone to come to Christ, to understand the gravity of who they were in their old man, to fall at the feet of the King of Mercy, plead their case and receive such love when the Lord says "You are forgiven". To feel such elation the first time you feel that quickening and excitement when the Spirit uses you for His purposes. Then for the tempter to come back with His old tricks. For you to dip your toes into those waters again. To hear the voice of the Spirit saying "No my child, that is not for you". To bounce around in and out of sin and repentance (washing machine), each time the sin lasting longer, and each time the repentance being a little shorter, till you no longer are just tipping your toe into the pond, but you are diving headlong into it. No longer hearing God. No longer feeling any pangs of guilt or shame in what you are doing. You have trampled the Son of God underfoot. You have counted the blood of the covenant by which you were sanctified a common thing. You have insulted the Spirit of Grace. By now you have committed the unforgiveable sin.

30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
>Read that once again. Look for the words "His people". He is not applying this to the unregenerate. The lost who never knew Him. He applies this judgement against His people. Those who were at one time His. Apostasy is real, people.

32 But recall the former days in which, after you were illuminated, you endured a great struggle with sufferings: 33 partly while you were made a spectacle both by reproaches and tribulations, and partly while you became companions of those who were so treated;
>the walk of faith takes perseverance. It's not a ONE TIME FAST FOOD CHOICE to SUPERSIZE ME. It is a continual walk. It is continual faith and trust. It has hardships and obstacles along the way. Its called the endurance of the saints for a reason Rev14v12.

34 for you had compassion on me in my chains, and joyfully accepted the plundering of your goods, knowing that you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven. 35 Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward.
>imagine joyfully accepting the plundering of your goods. This is only possible for believers who continue in the faith. This would have broken many who were secure in their one-time-only-decision.

36 For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise:
>After you have done the will of God....Endurance....continuing in the faith is the TRUTH. Don't let deceivers tell you any different.

>It could not be clearer. You HAVE TO live by faith and no other way. Continually. Not giving up on God.
>Anyone drawing back from the faith (by this it means drawing back from Christ either in terms of profession, or of willful actions to quench the Spirit permanently (Heb10v26) has reached a point of no return.

39 But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.
>May none here reading this draw back, but press on in the faith - ones who (continually) believe WHICH RESULTS IN the saving of the soul.
I see you are not running for the office of "Mister Popularity":)

Godspeed.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Hebrews 10

Again have a look at the kind of sacrifice in the surrounding chapter..

You've got animal sacrifice. Where someone who used to sacrifice animals under the OT system can no longer do it to please God under the new covenant.

If we sin willfully we cant go back to the old system of sacrificing animals but instead look to Jesus who has nailed the ordinances and rituals to the cross

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
The OP has made up a doctrine that basically relies on one passage of the Bible. No good doctrine has only one main passage. There should be many references to a topic, plus you must also look at the passages which say the opposite like Romans 5:1, Romans 8 or Eph2:8-10.

Very poor hermeneutics or Bible interpretation to not have multiple passages to support a doctrine.

oyster67

May 24, 2014

You've got animal sacrifice. Where someone who used to sacrifice animals under the OT system can no longer do it to please God under the new covenant.

If we sin willfully we cant go back to the old system of sacrificing animals but instead look to Jesus who has nailed the ordinances and rituals to the cross
Animal blood never worked(pleased God) in the first place. God always looked through it and into the blood of His dear Son. You must remember that He dwells outside of time itself. He saw Jesus' blood in the animal blood.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017

Then please use the scriptural steps (post them here on this thread) of how you get to that conclusion.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Then please use the scriptural steps (post them here on this thread) of how you get to that conclusion.
it's right there in 10:26 --- there is no more sacrifice for sin. we've got 8:13 - the old covenant ((with its sacrifices for sin)) is made obsolete. however, Christ is able to save completely whoever comes to God through Him, because He lives forever, making intercession ((7:25))

oyster67

May 24, 2014
The OP has made up a doctrine that basically relies on one passage of the Bible. No good doctrine has only one main passage. There should be many references to a topic, plus you must also look at the passages which say the opposite like Romans 5:1, Romans 8 or Eph2:8-10.

Very poor hermeneutics or Bible interpretation to not have multiple passages to support a doctrine.
Whole chapters in other NT books say the same thing: We must abide in the vine, That which bares not fruit is cast into the fire. Paul was concerned that He himself should not become a castaway, So many warnings about leaving our first love. Some looking at these threads really are new to the Book, but we are not.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
does this remind anyone of Galatians 5?
those who seek to be justified by law have made Christ of no effect, fallen from grace, debtors to keep the whole law? the whole law in which there are sacrifices for sin - sacrifices God will not accept, since in these last days He has spoken through His Son?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
They really believe that every verse in the NT that warns or admonishes Christian to walk carefully is addressed to people who were never born again?

Impossible Whopper.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
does this remind anyone of Galatians 5?
those who seek to be justified by law have made Christ of no effect, fallen from grace, debtors to keep the whole law? the whole law in which there are sacrifices for sin - sacrifices God will not accept, since in these last days He has spoken through His Son?
Lets look at Galatians 5

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: [d]adultery, [e]fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, [f]murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 [g]gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Back to the original OP post. Those who are wilfully sinning (making a practice of it continually Hebrews 10v26) are those walking according to the flesh Galatians 5v19-21. And as can be seen, this is mortally dangerous (Hebrews 10v29). That is why we are to put to death the misdeeds of the body by the Spirit.

Romans 8
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @Chris1975, the sin that was being committed by the folks in Hebrews 10:26-27 was their continual/willful (deliberate) rejection of Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord, even though they knew who He was. For those who, in the face of such knowledge about Him (knowing who He is and their need for Him as their Savior), continue to reject Him anyway, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins for them, only a terrifying expectation of judgment. Judas Iscariot comes to mind as an example of such a man.

~Deut
p.s. - true believers, who have been given new hearts and new spirits and the Holy Spirit/mind of Christ, who God has quickened/made alive spiritually, who He caused to be born again and are made His workmanship as wholly new creatures in Christ, do not go on sinning .. habitually and willfully .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:26-27; John 3:3; 1 Corinthians 2:12-16; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 2:4-5, 10.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
Hello @Chris1975, the sin that was being committed by the folks in Hebrews 10:26-27 was their continual/willful (deliberate) rejection of Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord, even though they knew who He was. For those who, in the face of such knowledge about Him (knowing who He is and their need for Him as their Savior), continue to reject Him anyway, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins for them, only a terrifying expectation of judgment. Judas Iscariot comes to mind as an example of such a man.

~Deut
p.s. - true believers, who have been given new hearts and new spirits and the Holy Spirit/mind of Christ, who God has quickened/made alive spiritually, who He caused to be born again and are made His workmanship as wholly new creatures in Christ, do not go on sinning habitually and willfully .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:26-27; John 3:3; 1 Corinthians 2:12-16; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 2:4-5, 10.

Hi Deuteronomy, I would respectfully disagree with that in Red highlighted above, and here is my reasoning. In the same chapter of Hebrews 10 we see the following verses:

Hebrews 10v10 By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Hebrews 10v14 For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.
So you can see from the above two that we are ALREADY talking about believers who have accepted the sacrifice of Christ for the forgiveness of their sins.

Now we fast forward just a few verses later to verse 29

Hebrews 10v29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

So we can clearly deduce that there is a thread that runs through this whole chapter. IT is those who HAVE COME INTO relationship and sanctification by Christ who then actively pursue the things of the flesh (thats the sinning) that this passage refers to. Not merely an acceptance or rejection of Christ.

P.S. I love your smile (avatar pic). Infectiously friendly.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
do not go on sinning habitually and willfully
Tell me what church you are going to. I want to go there too. Permanent press. Stainless steel. All those warnings and admonitions, just a waste of good ink. Just get dunked, and then you can poop around any old way you want. Do you really believe that? Jesus deserves better, and he will receive better, in the end

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
In regards to Hebrews 10:26, To "sin willfully" in the Greek carries the idea of deliberate intention that is habitual, which stems from rejecting Christ deliberately. This is continuous action, a matter of practice. Now we don't walk along our daily life and "accidentally" fall into a pit called sin. We exercise our will but, the use of the participle clearly shows a ongoing, willful, habitual action. The unrighteous practice sin (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21); not the righteous, who are born of God (1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 John 3:9). *Hermeneutics.

If the word 'sanctified' in Hebrews 10:29 is used to describe saved people who lost their salvation as eternal IN-securists teach, then we have a contradiction because the writer of Hebrews in verse 10 said "sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all" (Hebrews 10:10) and in verse 14, we read, "perfected for all time those who are sanctified." (Hebrews 10:14) I've heard eternal IN-securists try to get around the truth here by either saying forever doesn't really mean forever or "once for all and for all time" ONLY applies to "the offering of the body of Jesus Christ," but not to the person who is sanctified. Yet in Hebrews 10:10, we clearly read ..WE have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. In Hebrews 10:14, we read - For by one offering He has perfected for all time THOSE who are sanctified. To go from sanctified back to un-sanctified would be in contradiction here.

*NOWHERE in the context does it specifically say the person who "trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant" was "saved" and/or "lost their salvation." The reference to "the blood of the covenant that sanctified him" in verse 29 "on the surface" appears to be referring to a Christian, but this overlooks the fact that the word translated "sanctified" (which is the verb form of the adjective "holy") which means "set apart," and doesn't necessarily refer to salvation.

Strong's Concordance
hagiazó: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify
Original Word: ἁγιάζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hagiazó
Phonetic Spelling: (hag-ee-ad'-zo)
Definition: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify
Usage: I make holy, treat as holy, set apart as holy, sanctify, hallow, purify.

*In 1 Corinthians 7:14, Paul uses it to specifically refer to non-Christians who are "sanctified" or "set apart" by their believing spouse. (And by this Paul does not mean that they are saved). A non-Christian can be "set apart" from other non-Christians without experiencing salvation as Paul explained. So the word "sanctified" means to be "set apart." If the word "sanctified" simply meant saved, then you would have to say that the seventh day was saved (Genesis 2:3), the tabernacle was saved (Exodus 29:43), Moses saved the people after coming down off the mountain (Exodus 19:14), the priests and the Levites saved themselves (1 Chronicles 15:14), the Father saved the Son (John 10:36), the Son saved Himself (John 17:19) and many other things that do not line up with scripture.

In verse 39, the writer of Hebrews sets up the CONTRAST that makes it clear to me that he was referring to make believers/nominal Christians, not saved people: But WE are not of those who draw back to perdition, but OF THOSE who believe to the saving of the soul. Those who draw back to perdition do not believe to the saving of the soul and those who believe to the saving of the soul do not draw back to perdition.

So after considering the CONTEXT, it seems most likely that "he was sanctified" should be understood in the sense of someone who had been "set apart" or identified as a professing believer in the Hebrew Christian community of believers, but later renounces his identification with other believers, by rejecting the "knowledge of the truth" that he had received, and trampling under foot the work and the person of Christ himself. This gives evidence that his identification with the Hebrew Christian community of believers was only superficial and that he was not a genuine believer.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
*NOWHERE in the context does it specifically say the person who "trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant" was "saved" and/or "lost their salvation." The reference to "the blood of the covenant that sanctified him" in verse 29 "on the surface" appears to be referring to a Christian, but this overlooks the fact that the word translated "sanctified" (which is the verb form of the adjective "holy") which means "set apart," and doesn't necessarily refer to salvation.
MMD that is once again disingenuous. I am going to call you out on this one. Its not acceptable to lie and twist this. Peoples lives are at stake. Here is the relevant passage:

Hebrews 10
29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” [g]says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
>these people were sanctified
>sanctified by His blood
>they were in covenant (an unbeliever cannot get into covenant with the Lord)
>they had received the Holy Spirit
>The passage calls these people "HIS PEOPLE" in verse 30.