That Hebrews 10v26 Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

EleventhHour

Your focus is always on the negative. Your focus is always on sin rather than Grace. A tree is known by it’s fruit. You’re here obviously judging people in your heart so just say it. Name names.
They read scripture in a spirit of condemnation... how can those eyes see and then understand grace.
Not possible.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
They read scripture in a spirit of condemnation... how can those eyes see and then understand grace.
Not possible.
Wow, that’s heavy. I never thought of it that way but you’re absolutely right. It’s a spirit of condemnation. Just goes to show we are not battling flesh but spirits.

Mar 28, 2016
Hebrews 10v25b has a little treasure which has escaped scrutiny up until now. Since v26 is a verse with much substance, and many bibles make a paragraph split at this point, we can be forgiven for missing quite an important connection with verse 25b.

Lets look at it:
v25b but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
>Exhorting means (Strongs 3870 http://www.godrules.net/library/strongs2b/gre3870.htm)
  1. 1) to call to one's side, call for, summon
    2) to address, speak to, (call to, call upon), which may be done in the way of exhortation, entreaty, comfort, instruction, etc.
    2a) to admonish, exhort
    2b) to beg, entreat, beseech
    2b1) to strive to appease by entreaty
    2c) to console, to encourage and strengthen by consolation, to comfort
    2c1) to receive consolation, be comforted
    2d) to encourage, strengthen
    2e) exhorting and comforting and encouraging
    2f) to instruct, teach
>Its believers calling upon other believers to remain steadfast and strong in the face of opposition.
>It implores this all the more as we see the Day approaching. This Day, known as the Day of the Lord, 1 of the most significant and important days in history. It is when God wraps everything up that has happened on this planet. It is the final accounting of everything, where sheep and goats are separated, with eternal consequences for both.
>What is Paul imploring the church to do? The Exhort one another. To check in with one another. To rebuke one another. To encourage one another.
>WHY?
For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth...….

>This word "For" is a direct link, and implication, that unfolds from verse 25b.
>And yes --- these are all believers.
For if we (believers) sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth...Then what. ? One loses their salvation or God turns us to repent knowing he laid upon Jesus the judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. Not the believers. the warning is to us. Christ cannot deny himself.

For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 26-27

The warning is about the adversary that crucifies Christ over and over subjecting him to the world as shameful. As if one work of his faith as a labor of His falls short of the glory of the father.

2 Timothy 2:12-14 King James Version (KJV) If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself. Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

The warning or cause of repenting is not to the adversary. They do not turn.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Yet whosoever sinneth has not seen HIM or known HIM.

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
(1Jn 3:4-8 KJV)
Then no one has seen Him.....obvious you have missed completely what John is stating here.
It says what it says. I especially like this part, " he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."

Even as He is righteous is a direct comparison.
Jesus is righteous because he doeth righteousness. So the direct comparison is we are righteous because we doeth righteousness just like he did. He that committeth sin is of the devil. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil in us before we manifest them.

How did Jesus doeth righteousness? He says, "The Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works"

Know you not that you are Temple of God, the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For it is He that works in us both to will and do HIS good pleasure. For we are dead nevertheless we live, yet not us but Christ liveth in us and the life we now live in the flesh we live by the faith OF the Son of God.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Your focus is always on the negative. Your focus is always on sin rather than Grace. A tree is known by it’s fruit. You’re here obviously judging people in your heart so just say it. Name names.
if you have nothing in rebuttal to the op say nothing. Why are you making it personal?
Toes hurt?

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Ahh - well actually the verb (participle) for "sinning" is a "present" tense in the Greek. The present tense means ongoing, continued action.
Yes a verbal noun, a state of being. So the question arise what in God's eyes is on going, a continued action.

And I think that it should be clarified what is this knowledge of truth that the writer speaks of in verse 26?

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Let's take a walk in Hebrew chapter 10 starting in verse 4

For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. Wherefore (because it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sin) when he (Christ) cometh into the world, he (Christ) saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me (the Word was made flesh): In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. Then said I (I the writer or us for that matter. For we were made to be in HIS image and likeness), Lo, I (we) come (in the volume of the book (the human instruction manuel, the Bible) it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. Above when He (HE being Christ) said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein (Because there was a constant rememberance of sin every year because they could never take away sin vs.3 so neither has HE had any pleasure in); which are offered by the law; Then said he (Christ), Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second (purging our conscience (who we are, our inner man), a sanctifying to the purifying of the flesh from dead works (the taking away of sin, dead works, acts the cause death) to serve the Living God. Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry. And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves (us) with better sacrifices than these. Heb 9:14,13 21-23)

By the which will we are sanctified (purged conscience, a sanctifying to the purifying of the flesh from dead works, the taking away of sin to serve the Living God) through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins (purge our conscience, who we are our inner being) : But this man (Christ), after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Whereof (to this perfectedness) the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, This is the covenant (perfectedness of them that are sanctified) that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
(Heb 10:4-16 KJV)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Let's take a walk in Hebrew chapter 10 starting in verse 4

For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. Wherefore (because it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sin) when he (Christ) cometh into the world, he (Christ) saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me (the Word was made flesh): In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. Then said I (I the writer or us for that matter. For we were made to be in HIS image and likeness), Lo, I (we) come (in the volume of the book (the human instruction manuel, the Bible) it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. Above when He (HE being Christ) said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein (Because there was a constant rememberance of sin every year because they could never take away sin vs.3 so neither has HE had any pleasure in); which are offered by the law; Then said he (Christ), Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second (purging our conscience (who we are, our inner man), a sanctifying to the purifying of the flesh from dead works (the taking away of sin, dead works, acts the cause death) to serve the Living God. Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry. And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves (us) with better sacrifices than these. Heb 9:14,13 21-23)

By the which will we are sanctified (purged conscience, a sanctifying to the purifying of the flesh from dead works, the taking away of sin to serve the Living God) through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins (purge our conscience, who we are our inner being) : But this man (Christ), after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Whereof (to this perfectedness) the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, This is the covenant (perfectedness of them that are sanctified) that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
(Heb 10:4-16 KJV)

this is how it reads to me:

the context:

priesthood
priesthood
priesthood
priesthood
priesthood
priesthood
priesthood
priesthood
priesthood
priesthood
priesthood

the message:

Christ the perfect Priest having made perfect absolution, far surpassing the Sinai covenant in every way, having done forever what the former things could never do.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
Jeremiah 23

14 Also I have seen a horrible thing in the prophets of Jerusalem:
They commit adultery and walk in lies;
They also strengthen the hands of evildoers,
So that no one turns back from his wickedness.
All of them are like Sodom to Me,
And her inhabitants like Gomorrah.

15 “Therefore thus says the Lord of hosts concerning the prophets:

‘Behold, I will feed them with wormwood,
And make them drink the water of gall;
For from the prophets of Jerusalem
Profaneness has gone out into all the land.’ ”

16 Thus says the Lord of hosts:

“Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you.
They make you worthless;
They speak a vision of their own heart,
Not from the mouth of the Lord.
17 They continually say to those who despise Me,
‘The Lord has said, “You shall have peace” ’;

And to everyone who walks according to the dictates of his own heart, they say,
‘No evil shall come upon you.’ ”

18 For who has stood in the counsel of the Lord,
And has perceived and heard His word?
Who has marked His word and heard it?
19 Behold, a whirlwind of the Lord has gone forth in fury—
A violent whirlwind!
It will fall violently on the head of the wicked.
20 The anger of the Lord will not turn back
Until He has executed and performed the thoughts of His heart.

In the latter days you will understand it perfectly.

21 “I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran.
I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.

22 But if they had stood in My counsel,
And had caused My people to hear My words,
Then they would have turned them from their evil way
And from the evil of their doings.

23 “Am I a God near at hand,” says the Lord,
“And not a God afar off?
24 Can anyone hide himself in secret places,
So I shall not see him?” says the Lord;

“Do I not fill heaven and earth?” says the Lord.

Feb 29, 2020
To "sin willfully" in the Greek carries the idea of deliberate intention that is habitual, which stems from rejecting Christ deliberately.
Look, the scriptures have been translated. where do you get "habitually" from the greek? I scanned a few translations and I have not found one that has "habitually" in this passage.

If the word 'sanctified' in Hebrews 10:29 is used to describe saved people who lost their salvation as eternal IN-securists teach, then we have a contradiction because the writer of Hebrews in verse 10 said "sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all"
There is no contradictions here. You are sanctified once for all. You cannot be re-sanctified, so don't sin wilfully becuase there is no second chance. It's a grave warning.

A non-Christian can be "set apart" from other non-Christians without experiencing salvation
The scripture in question SPECIFICALLY says sanctified BY THE BLOOD. This can only mean salvation.

Mar 28, 2016
Look, the scriptures have been translated. where do you get "habitually" from the greek? I scanned a few translations and I have not found one that has "habitually" in this passage.
Natural man habitually does the things that come naturally. . what the eyes see the temporal .

Spiritual man born of the Spirit of Christ does what the supernatural Spirit does as it works in us to both will and perform the strengthened power . We are the temple. Not made with human hands (the abomination of desolation)

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.