The 10 Commandments

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
which then shows that they are still relevant in our days. I believe that the 10 commandments are still relevant to us

What changed is the methodology of achieving them which the gospel thoroughly explained. Unfortunately, most of us are still sitting on Moses seat like the Pharisees and Sadducees.

again, the Torah was given to Israel only at Sinai by God through Moses.

the other nine were repeated in the N.T. Sabbath was not.

their is a New Covenant, not a renewed covenant.

May 22, 2020
Does anyone believe we can and must keep the 10 Commandments?

Yes...as well as the many more depicted in the Bible.

In all sincerity.........what would produce this question?

May 22, 2020
If we are not saved, not even milk will do us any good,

Your use of ...saved...is miss leading. No one is ...saved...until God says we are saved.
While on this earth before death...we are born again only.
Those who miss apply the word saved is not highly regarded by God...I am sure. For if we can say ...saved before judgement....then that conclusion renders .......it is appointed unto man once to die....then the judgement...of no effect.
Not good.

Another way to say it is....saved is being taken out of context.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Yes...as well as the many more depicted in the Bible.

In all sincerity.........what would produce this question?

because some judeaizers push the lie that modern Christians should be keeping the jewish Sabbath.

i stand against that lie.

E

eternally-gratefull

Your use of ...saved...is miss leading. No one is ...saved...until God says we are saved.
Those who miss apply the word saved is not highly regarded by God...I am sure. For if we can say ...saved before judgement....then that conclusion renders .......it is appointed unto man once to die....then the judgement...of no effect.
Not good.

My Bible says I have been saved by Gods mercy, not by works

your mocking of his salvation will not help you on judgment day

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Not good.

John specifically writes things to us so that we may KNOW we have eternal life. Therefore we also know we are already saved. Those in Christ are not condemned at the judgment at the end of this age, but their/our works in Him are weighed and measured against God's standard. So your claim that judgment is made of no effect is what is misleading, as well as your implication that we cannot know we are already saved.

Feb 28, 2016
Mag,
you are right in your statement that when we STAND at the Judgment Seat of Christ, it is not a
judgment of condemnation -
like it is written:
MATT. 5:19.
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least Commandments, and shall teach men so,
he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven:
but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
PS. 1:5.
Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
REV. 22:12.
And, behold, I come quickly; and My reward is with Me, to give (every man according as his work shall be).

Dec 9, 2011
He, the Word, wrote the Ten Commandments. He says He does not change and does not lie. All Ten are still as relevant as when He first gave them. They are neither faulty nor irrelevant.
Can you explain how Is the Ten Commandments relevant after CHRIST said It Is finished?

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Galatians 3:24-25
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

This is pretty definitive. Christians aren't under the Law. If you have faith in Christ.

So the opposite of this is, if you DON'T have faith in Christ then you still follow the Law.

Under the New Covenant the 10 commandments are not applicable. The fruit of the Spirit are applicable. It is what is produced in Christians who have faith in Christ. The 10 commandments have NO POWER to stop you from breaking them. The fruit of the Spirit are the cause of what the 10 commandments intended. The 10 commandments being the description of the work of the Holy Spirit.
Thankyou for agreeing with me.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
I’m not bathing a baby so lol no worries about him getting tossed out

I think many suffer today from looking into the darkness of the law

“But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same veil untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which veil is done away in Christ. But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the veil is upon their heart.

Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the veil shall be taken away.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭3:7-8, 13-16‬ ‭

so they can’t really see Christ that’s the problem with the law now that we have Christ .

Many others still look for salvation in the law not knowing it’s a curse so they never understand the blessing

“For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:10, 12-14‬ ‭

Ultimately the commandments serve a purpose it’s not about saving nor is there any justification in keeping the law

“Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:19-20‬ ‭

The law has a purpose it’s behind those who repent however it brought them to the spirit

to look at “the better not do these things “ isn’t going to save anyone it will only bring them to the realization that they also are guilty and need saving
Thankyou for agreeing with me.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Then, what do you say about Paul"'s saying in Ephesians 6:2-3

Honour your father and mother which is the first commandment with promise that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.

We can agree here that Paul was quoting the fourth commandment (of the 10 commandment} as it is written in Exodus 20:12 and was definitely not addressing the ancestors who were with Moses at Mt Sinai.
the difference is needing to be commanded under punishment of death to honor ones parents , versus being born again and having that respect and honor being imprinted upon our heart so that we don’t need to be commanded under death to do so

“honor your parents , if not you will be put to death by the people “ is the law of commandment

be born again in the spirit , and you will live and become a child of God who naturally honors parents and more than that one another , not neeeing a commandment to do so but simply living the new life God creates in us through the gospel

look at something as simple as the sabbath

“Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭18:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Commandment

“Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the Lord: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭35:2‬ ‭

the law of sin and death

“And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.

And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses.”
‭‭Numbers‬ ‭15:32, 35-36‬ ‭

But the New Testament is contrary to that law

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2:16-17‬ ‭

Observance of the law was a shadow of the real things in Christ . Being born again is what saves us . Being born of the gospel and the truth therin leaves a person not having motivation , reason or inclination to do things like dishonor parents , worship false gods , kill . Lie , cheat

you can’t be born of the gospel and walk on those ways but you can observe Ten Commandments and be utterly wicked at the same time

we have to change at the source of our sin problem the commandments can’t do that but the gospel can

May 22, 2020
My Bible says I have been saved by Gods mercy, not by works

your mocking of his salvation will not help you on judgment day

...that is a spin no one said any thing about..... works.
Stick to the point...saved...and use it properly.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
This Is bible discussion,Can you give an answer or not?
I have answered this very same question time and time again on CC, until now, I am tired. Very tired. Tonight, I am dealing with more than I can deal with. I want to just go to bed. Okay? :)

E

eternally-gratefull

...that is a spin no one said any thing about..... works.
Stick to the point...saved...and use it properly.
Own up to what you said

if we are not “saved” until a future time, then we are working to earn that salvation every day,

B

Blackpowderduelist

I don't think of them so much as commandments anymore, but more of the 10 foundational ideas of the believer.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Does anyone believe we can and must keep the 10 Commandments?
The ten Commandments are the moral law God has given to us to show two things concerning the law

1. how to love God

2. how to love man

The context of salvation the law provides us the understanding we have broken the law and are to receive the judgment for breaking them = death and separation from God. The law produces NO GRACE only judgment. By God's law, we are all guilty.

No one can keep the law of God " all have sinned, and fallen short of the glory of God". Rom. 3:23 There is none righteous no not one Rom. 3:10

Jesus did for us what God and the law required, Blood and death.

God is Holy and sin from the beginning affects others something had to die for Adam & Eve to be covered read in Genesis.
God is also loving and merciful and that is why HE took our punishment and judgment onto Himself, To Him be all the glory.

One cannot keep what you have broken once, only judgment.

But as a born-again believer you keep the Ten not because only God said do not do or to do, YOu do so because You love Him and your neighbor. Jesus said To Love the Lord thy God with ALL. Doing so you keep all of them. In Christ, He has removed your transgression of the law and took unto himself your judgment. This is why the devil is so mad. God did for us what HE would not do nor will do for the devil and his angels :)

The devil aka satan the accuser comes before God saying " You so holy and judged me yet you left CS1 slide!

Jesus my mediator Has the testimony and evidence HE took my payment therefore Devil You still going to hell but not me :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I don't think of them so much as commandments anymore, but more of the 10 foundational ideas of the believer.
Some call them promises :) For surely they will all be true for us in the life come :D

For now, they show us how to love ;)