The absurdity and heresy of Preterism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So if James was indeed writing to the Body of Christ as you have said, where gentiles are equal to the Jews, he will be violating that agreement.
That is a rather naive way of looking at things. Hebrews, James, and 1 & 2 Peter were all written to Hebrew Christians, but the teachings are for the whole Church (the Body of Christ). As Paul made it perfectly clear, within the Church there is no distinction between Jews and Gentiles.

Nov 23, 2013
I can understand the idea of the calling and election of God being conditional.

Romans 11:28 Concerning the Good News, they are enemies for your sake.

would spiritual Israel be enemies concerning the good news?
who is the "your" that Paul is talking about there, in your view?
The you in that verse is us Christians. The Jews are the enemies of the gospel because they bring in damnable heresies like dispensationalism and antichrist Jew worship. Those whacked ideas make Christians study the Bible to prove to ourselves, not them, that they are wrong. It’s been going on for 2000 years.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
As Paul made it perfectly clear, within the Church there is no distinction between Jews and Gentiles.
If so, then addressing the twelve tribes would be counterproductive. Twelve tribes is always a term in Scripture that refers to the nation of Israel as a whole.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
As long as you agree that the church then comprised only of Jewish believers, in the period of Acts 8, we are fine.
Romans 10:12KJV
12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

Galatians 3:28-29KJV
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

May 23, 2020
I can understand the idea of the calling and election of God being conditional.

Romans 11:28 Concerning the Good News, they are enemies for your sake.

would spiritual Israel be enemies concerning the good news?
who is the "your" that Paul is talking about there, in your view?
Who is spiritual Israel?

Jan 12, 2019
Romans 10:12KJV
12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

Galatians 3:28-29KJV
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
When the book of James was written, that knowledge was still a mystery

Jan 12, 2019
That is a rather naive way of looking at things. Hebrews, James, and 1 & 2 Peter were all written to Hebrew Christians, but the teachings are for the whole Church (the Body of Christ). As Paul made it perfectly clear, within the Church there is no distinction between Jews and Gentiles.
The usual “all scripture is written for our learning, so long as you recognized not all is written to us.”

Jan 12, 2019
Who wrote the book of James?

Possibly God the Holy Spirit, the same author of the entire inspired Holy Scripture:)
True, but it does not follow that God intends every part of the Scripture to apply to the same audience and the same time period.

Many examples are seen in the OT.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
True, but it does not follow that the author intends every part of the Scripture to apply to the same audience and the same time period.

Many examples are seen in the OT.
When the Holy Spirit states in James 1:1

The Twelve Tribes Scattered Abroad, God sure isnt talking about the OT tribes

Jan 12, 2019
When the Holy Spirit states in James 1:1

The Twelve Tribes Scattered Abroad, God sure isnt talking about the OT tribes
I have provided Acts 8 context to who those people are.

On that day a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria.

It was still all Jews in Acts 8 who were in the Jerusalem church.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I'm ok with Moses dying and coming back. That doesn't contradict Scripture.
Actually, it does contradict scripture. Once a person has been resurrected in their immortal and glorified body, they cannot be killed and then brought back to be resurrected once again in their immortal and glorified body.

Did Lazarus die twice? Was Lazarus resurrected twice?
Lazarus died and was raised back to life in his mortal body, which died again. In further support of this, the scripture states that Moses died and God himself buried him. However, there is no scripture which states that God resurrected him. It would therefore be pure conjecture for us to assume that God had resurrected him. As I previously posted, both Enoch and Elijah had never experienced a physical death, which is why these two would be my pick.

I suppose that we will know for sure who the two witnesses will be when we get there.

May 23, 2020
I suppose that we will know for sure who the two witnesses will be when we get there.
If one is not in Jerusalem at the time, one will not know. As it was, that event is over and the witnesses were there not to confirm the prophesy but to give something to the people living there. They were his representatives in the most difficult of all times. They did their part.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
If one is not in Jerusalem at the time, one will not know. As it was, that event is over and the witnesses were there not to confirm the prophesy but to give something to the people living there. They were his representatives in the most difficult of all times. They did their part.
If your talking about the Jewish War the only witness of what happened then that we know of is Josephas, Revelation doesn't mention their names but they do represent the Law and the Prophets because their actions are the same as Moses who was given the power to turn the Nile into blood and Elijah who stopped rainful for three years. There is no record of Josephas doing either.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

How can people from every nation, tribe, people and language view the bodies of the two witnesses lying in the streets of Jerusalem? You ever hear of webcams and the news media?

==========================================
"When the two witnesses have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from the Abyss will wage war with them, and will overpower and kill them. Their bodies will lie in the street of the great city—figuratively called Sodom and Egypt—where their Lord was also crucified. For three and a half days all peoples and tribes and languages and nations will view their bodies and will not permit them to be laid in a tomb. And those who dwell on the earth will gloat over them, and will celebrate and send one another gifts, because these two prophets had tormented them"
==========================================

These two witnesses being killed by the beast is a future event. The beast is released at the sounding of the 5th trumpet. He's that angel of the Abyss called Abaddon/Apollyon, meaning destroyer.

The two witnesses will do just exactly as scripture states, they will prophesy for 1260 days (3 1/2 years). The scripture does not say that they are there to give something to the people who live there, but to prophesy to them regarding God and the eternal gospel.

And it's not "They were his representatives" but "will be his representatives" future tense. These two witnesses will be able to bring any plague they like upon the earth, as often as they want. The people of the earth will hate them because of their plagues and will celebrate by sending gifts to each other after the beast who comes up out of the Abyss kills them. Three and a half days later, the two witnesses will stand up (resurrect) and all the inhabitants of the earth who will have been gloating over them, will be filled with fear when they stand back up and ascend into heaven before their very eyes.

Mar 23, 2016
Well, Jesus said it would never be that bad again and so I believe Him. That was why I said it. Jesus said so.
What you said was

"Telling a group of churches who were about to go through terrible suffering but none of the communication is for them although when it starts in a few millenia it will go fast makes no sense and is borderline cruel." (Post #974)

But apparently is it not cruel to leave bereft of instruction those who would live "in a few millenia" and suffer horribly ... no need to remind them be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life (Rev 2:10), or to him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written (Rev 2:17), etc. etc.

In effect, you leave those who suffer abominable acts of violence for their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ without comfort as they endure suffering just because they live beyond the timeframe you allow the Word of God to apply.

It's okay with you that God gives His Word to the believers who lived within the timeframe you allow ... but not okay that God gives His Word to the believers who live within the timeframe He allows.

DorothyMae said:
If I find a link that goes through the events in Revelation that fits the descriptions of what happened at that time in Judea, will you read them. I find it so disgusting that I do not look into it if I don't have to do so.
So you've got proof that "the events in Revelation ... fits the descriptions of what happened at that time in Judea" but you don't provide the proof because you "find it so disgusting that [you] do not look into it if [you] don't have to do so"??? :rolleyes:

DorothyMae said:
There is a difference between one family member being killed for their faith and the whole of the church in the world being killed. And every family of believers who experiences one being killed comforts themselves with the scripture. And you snatch one verse out of many.
I did not "snatch one verse out of many". I showed you that your insistence that what is written to the churches in Rev 2-3 benefits believers who live beyond the timeframe you allow.

DorothyMae said:
Please tell me what profit you get out of

"So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself. "
What the chief priests did with the 30 pieces of silver was fulfillment of prophecy.

DorothyMae said:
What you do not see is that not all scripture is applicable to all believers all the time. I bet you have not heard a sermon where the pastor read one of the letters to a church in revelation, say Thyatira, and say that all those words are written to them and they need to weed you Jezebel as well and identify some in the church who hold to the deep teachings of Satan. From reading your post, I would think that you would expect all those letters to apply to your church at one time or another and the appropriate action ought to be taken.
Have you not read the words of Jesus when He taught about the wheat and the tares? In the world, as well as in our churches, there are tares among the what. The tares are not true believers. The wheat is the true believers. Jesus said let both grow together.

“Magistrates and churches may remove the openly wicked from their society; the outwardly good who are inwardly worthless they must leave; for the judging of hearts is beyond their sphere.” (Spurgeon)

DorothyMae said:
reneweddaybyday said:
John wrote of things that have yet to take place.
For him, yes. For us, no. Same as Isaiah 53 was for the author an event what had yet to take place. For us it is past.
What John wrote in the Revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ is not "past" for us.

Please tell us what events revealed in the Book of Revelation have already taken place and what events are yet future.

DorothyMae said:
Within a few years of the writing for as Jesus said, "the time is near." The word for near is ἐγγὺς (engys) and it means near. Yes, it is an adjective. This seems to be vital to some, where the word Jesus used to describe who soon the events are to be expected stands or falls whether the word he used was a noun or an adjective. I have yet to figure out what difference this makes. But what one cannot say is that Jesus was telling John and the reader that when it happens, it happens fast because ἐγγὺς (engys) is near. There are 30 occurances in the Bible and all of them are "at hand" (old English) or "near" which means not 2000 years away.
Please provide the Scripture to which you refer. There are two uses of the word ἐγγὺς (engys) in Revelation.

Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand (Greek ἐγγὺς).

Revelation 22:10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand (Greek ἐγγὺς).

And please note ... Revelation was written 1900+ years ago and we have yet to see the new heavens and new earth revealed in Rev 22.

So ... again ... I caution you in your insistence that Greek ἐγγὺς and/or Greek τάχει mean what you insist is the meaning.

DorothyMae said:
The freedom and peace of mind and joy that comes from abandoning the "JEsus (and horrible times) are coming soon theory is indescrible. The veil is lifted and one understands Revelation as well as other books and sayings of Jesus. The Bible opens up like never before. But that is just my personal testimony.
The Scriptures open up when we turn our hearts to the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 3:

14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

16 Nevertheless when it [the heart] shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

May 23, 2020
What you said was

"Telling a group of churches who were about to go through terrible suffering but none of the communication is for them although when it starts in a few millenia it will go fast makes no sense and is borderline cruel." (Post #974)

But apparently is it not cruel to leave bereft of instruction those who would live "in a few millenia" and suffer horribly ... no need to remind them be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life (Rev 2:10), or to him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written (Rev 2:17), etc. etc.

In effect, you leave those who suffer abominable acts of violence for their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ without comfort as they endure suffering just because they live beyond the timeframe you allow the Word of God to apply.

It's okay with you that God gives His Word to the believers who lived within the timeframe you allow ... but not okay that God gives His Word to the believers who live within the timeframe He allows.

So you've got proof that "the events in Revelation ... fits the descriptions of what happened at that time in Judea" but you don't provide the proof because you "find it so disgusting that [you] do not look into it if [you] don't have to do so"??? :rolleyes:

I did not "snatch one verse out of many". I showed you that your insistence that what is written to the churches in Rev 2-3 benefits believers who live beyond the timeframe you allow.

What the chief priests did with the 30 pieces of silver was fulfillment of prophecy.

Have you not read the words of Jesus when He taught about the wheat and the tares? In the world, as well as in our churches, there are tares among the what. The tares are not true believers. The wheat is the true believers. Jesus said let both grow together.

“Magistrates and churches may remove the openly wicked from their society; the outwardly good who are inwardly worthless they must leave; for the judging of hearts is beyond their sphere.” (Spurgeon)

What John wrote in the Revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ is not "past" for us.

Please tell us what events revealed in the Book of Revelation have already taken place and what events are yet future.

Please provide the Scripture to which you refer. There are two uses of the word ἐγγὺς (engys) in Revelation.

Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand (Greek ἐγγὺς).

Revelation 22:10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand (Greek ἐγγὺς).

And please note ... Revelation was written 1900+ years ago and we have yet to see the new heavens and new earth revealed in Rev 22.

So ... again ... I caution you in your insistence that Greek ἐγγὺς and/or Greek τάχει mean what you insist is the meaning.

The Scriptures open up when we turn our hearts to the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 3:

14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

16 Nevertheless when it [the heart] shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
Then how come there are so many different thoughts by those who have turned to Jesus if Jesus is the one opening up all our minds?

(I don’t question that He does or can, just that it’s automatic as you suggest.)

Jan 12, 2019
If you also believed that the Body of Christ will be raptured before the Tribulation even begins, the idea of James writing only to the Jews will make perfect sense.

Hebrews to Revelations are bible doctrine meant for the Tribulation period, where only Israel is involved.

Us in the Body of Christ get the benefit of reading those doctrine ahead of time of course, which will benefit us, in the current grace dispensation.