The Atonement: What did it REALLY Accomplish?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 23, 2016
So that means evasion !
John 3:15-18 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him ...

Jul 16, 2021
Rom 5:11

11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

The Atonement of Christ has reconciled the elect world to God. It secured and ensured for it [ the elect world] every spiritual blessing needed to live unto God and for His Glory through Jesus christ.

Even before the elect are born into this world as sinners, they have already [by the blood of Christ] been reconciled to God, it will now be a matter of time for it to be manifested.

The atonement accomplished the complete salvation for all whom it was offered for, that is the death of christ. It provides them Faith, repentance, sanctification, redemption, and every needful spiritual blessing to convert them to God, and remain secured forever.

Your statements would lead me to believe that Jesus only died for the elect. That He provided a limited atonement.

That does not agree with prophecies about what he would do like Isaiah 53:5-6 or John the Baptists words: "The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world." John 1:29

That does not agree with his own words about His work like:

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
For God did not send His Son into the world that He might condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. John 3:16-17

"For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” Luke 19: 10

It does not agree with the inspired Epistles like:

and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world. 1 John 2:2

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Cor. 5:21

My conclusion: If Jesus only died for the elect then how do I know that he paid for my sins. Those who are condemned to hell also had their sins paid for. They didn't believe it.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
I know that there are many different theories of the Atonement of which I am not going to address and dissect, but its my firm conviction that the scriptures teach a vicarious Atonement. That Christ actually died in the place of elect sinners, and consequently if this be True, and Christ did die for elect sinners 1 Cor 15:3

3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

Rom 8:33-34

33Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Note: Remember the OT Types for the sacrifice of sin, they also were limited to an Elect People, elect sinners .

Now as a result in the case of Christ's vicarious death for elect sinners, as a result, There are no debts of sin charged against the elect Christ died for. They were canceled or as Paul writes in Col 2:14

14Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

This blotting out of the Elect's sins is so complete, God has no reason to ever punish them for sin again. Good Job Jesus Christ !74

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
John 3:15-18 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him ...
More evasion from the points I posted with scripture.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
sparkeyg

Your statements would lead me to believe that Jesus only died for the elect.
Which is true, and thats what Im proving from scripture, by showing what it accomplished for them He died for.

Mar 23, 2016
More evasion from the points I posted with scripture.
Again ... would to God "[your] points" aligned with Scripture.

your understanding of Scripture is skewed by your propensity to read through the lens of Calvin ...

Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive

READ YOUR BIBLE!!!

1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
His Sheep will know Him Savingly !

Jn 10:14

14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Christ says, " I know my Sheep and am known of Mine" that is His Sheep will Know Him savingly !

Christ ensures us that all Christ's Sheep, those He lay down His Life for, shall come into a Saving Knowledge of Him. Jn 17:2-3

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

3 And this is life eternal, that they[Sheep] might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

The word know is the same in Jn 10:14 and in Jn 17:3

It means an experiential knowing !

Christ death ensures a positive personal knowledge of Himself to all He died for, so Christ could say of them:

am known of mine !

The statement also ensures us that Christ knows experientially all those He died for !

So another conclusion we can derive from this saying of Christ is that those He shall yet say this to were never His own and He never died for Matt 7:2376

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

And since He never knew them, they never knew Him, even though they called Him Lord Lord .They knew another jesus, one of their own imagination !

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Again ... would to God "[your] points" aligned with Scripture.

your understanding of Scripture is skewed by your propensity to read through the lens of Calvin ...

Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive

READ YOUR BIBLE!!!

1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
More evasion and rabbit trail, keep it up, you on a roll !

Mar 23, 2016
Christ death ensures a positive personal knowledge of Himself to all He died for
The above statement does not align with Scripture

READ YOUR BIBLE!!!

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
The above statement does not align with Scripture

READ YOUR BIBLE!!!

Do you want to discuss the whole post ?

Mar 23, 2016
Do you want to discuss the whole post ?
Here is what I agree with in "the whole post"

brightfame52 said:
Jn 10:14

14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

brightfame52 said:
Jn 17:2-3

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

3 And this is life eternal, that they ... might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

brightfame52 said:
Matt 7:23

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I am not in agreement with the rest of your rhetoric.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Receiving the Atonement !

11And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

This means that those Christ died for, and reconciled to God objectively, they receive the benefits subjectively of Christ atoning death, by Him.. Thats because He is the living Testator that now lives and ensures that they become beneficiaries of His death's accomplishments for them.

So we receive it by Faith, Holy Spirit given Faith from New Birth, when we receive the Knowledge of the remission of sins. Lk 1:77

77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

The Knowledge here is understanding, to give understanding of salvation to His People, much like 1 Jn 5:20

20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

By the remission of sins, by that which comes through Jesus Christ, that which His blood gives to many ! Matt 26:28

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Also Acts 26:18

18To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Or that they may receive the atonement. The atonement, reconciliation and propitiation are all the same and include the forgiveness of sins because of the blood of Christ !

This was something that the Apostles were to declare among the nations along with repentances, in Christ Name Lk 24:47

47And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached[declared or made known, not offered] in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

The word Preached here is the word kēryssō and means:

to publish, proclaim openly: something which has been done

This to publish is always in regards to things God has done, not what he might do or what He offers to do . Mk 5:20

20 And he departed, and began to publish in Decapolis how great things Jesus had done for him: and all men did marvel.

Lk 8:39

39 Return to thine own house, and shew how great things God hath done unto thee. And he went his way, and published throughout the whole city how great things Jesus had done unto him.

So Preaching repentance and remission of sins is not God offering anything, it is what God has done and accomplished for His People through the Person of Christ ! And all whom it pertains to will receive the Knowledge of it, that's receiving the Atonement !

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Here is what I agree with in "the whole post"

I am not in agreement with the rest of your rhetoric.
Is that what you call discussing a post ? Very shallow, I put forth a lot of effort and thought and searching scripture to make a post ! You put forth no effort to discuss !

Mar 23, 2016

11And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

This means that those Christ died for

brightfame said:
So we receive it by Faith, Holy Spirit given Faith from New Birth, when we receive the Knowledge of the remission of sins.
we don't "receive the Knowledge of the remission of sins" ... read the verse as written in God's Word:

77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins

to give knowledge of salvation

quit changing God's Word.

brightfame52 said:
The atonement, reconciliation and propitiation are all the same
Are they?

The Greek word katallagē is translated as "atonement" in Rom 5:11 and also as "reconciliation" in Rom 11:15, 2 Cor 5:18, 19.

The Greek word hilasmos is translated as "propitiation" in 1 John 2:2, 4:10; the Greek word hilastērion is translated as "propitiation" in Rom 3:25, and as "mercyseat" in Heb 9:5.

Are the words katallagē , hilasmos , hilastērion "all the same" as you claim?

I do not believe so and I do not believe it is "evasion and rabbit trail" to point that out to you.

brightfame52 said:
Lk 24:47

47And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached[declared or made known, not offered] in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

The word Preached here is the word kēryssō and means:

to publish, proclaim openly: something which has been done
Relating to Luke 24:47 specifically, Thayer's defines the word kēryssō as follows:

by public proclamation to exhort to repentance and promise the pardon of sins

HELPS Word-studies ... /kērýssō ("to herald") refers to preaching the Gospel as the authoritative (binding) word of God, bringing eternal accountability to all who hear it

Mar 23, 2016
Is that what you call discussing a post ? Very shallow, I put forth a lot of effort and thought and searching scripture to make a post !
waahhh ... waahhh ... poor, poor brightfame52 ...

Your efforts are steeped in the rhetoric of limited atonement and replacement theology.

You refuse to shine the light of Scripture on your efforts so that your understanding aligns with what is written in Scripture.

brightfame52 said:
You put forth no effort to discuss !
Read through the pages of this thread, brightfame52. For the most part, effort put forth by myself and others has been met with your non-effort, three word response of "evasion and rabbit trail".

You and I have already discussed Romans 5:11 and the word "received" (Greek word lambanō) which means to receive (what is given); to gain, get, obtain (Thayer's Greek Lexicon); "actively lay hold of to take or receive," see NAS dictionary) – properly, to lay hold by aggressively (actively) accepting what is available (offered) (HELPS Word-studies).

In order for you to properly understand Scripture, you must let go of your dogma.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
It causes Gospel obedience to those He died for !

Heb 5:9

9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

The being made perfect here means by fulfilling every stipulation of the Everlasting Covenant of Grace, to include His obedience to death as per Phil 2:8; Rom 5:19, He became the Author of Eternal Salvation, to those obeying Him. This means His Perfect obedience causes their obedience. Evidence therefore of Christ having died for someone, is that they become obedient to the Gospel commands of God. The word obey in Heb 5:9 is the greek word hypakouō
and means:

to listen, to harken

a) of one who on the knock at the door comes to listen who it is, (the duty of a porter)

2) to harken to a command

a) to obey, be obedient to, submit to

It means to harken to a command. Now what were the Gospel commands ?

One is Repentance ! Acts 17:30

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

This word commandeth in the greek is in the present tense, God through the preaching of the Apostles was commanding repentance from all whom Christ had died for. Not only was this just a bare command, but God because of Christ wrought their obedience in them through the Preaching of the Apostles !

Paul states in Rom 15:18

For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed,

Christ wrought by Preaching the obedience of elect gentiles ! Thats why we have Heb 5:9 That Christ is the Author of Salvation to who ? Why those obeying Him, those obeying the Gospel, those who hearken to the command to repent ! Another Gospel command that they shall hearken to is to Believe on the name of the Son of God. 1 Jn 3:23

23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Again, Christ work, wroughts obedience to this command, in them whom He died for. He causes their obedience.

And He wroughts obedience in them to the command to Love one another, that is brotherly love.

Lets look at this command given by Christ to His disciples See Jn 13:34;15:12,17

Peter says in 1 Pet 1:22,23

Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: What did he base this on ? Vs 23

23Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.80

Thats who the Gospel commands are for, those being born again. They are the ones who are commanded to Repent, to Believe, and to Love one another, and Christ is the Author of them obeying Him !

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020

we don't "receive the Knowledge of the remission of sins" ... read the verse as written in God's Word:

77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins

to give knowledge of salvation

quit changing God's Word.

Are they?

The Greek word katallagē is translated as "atonement" in Rom 5:11 and also as "reconciliation" in Rom 11:15, 2 Cor 5:18, 19.

The Greek word hilasmos is translated as "propitiation" in 1 John 2:2, 4:10; the Greek word hilastērion is translated as "propitiation" in Rom 3:25, and as "mercyseat" in Heb 9:5.

Are the words katallagē , hilasmos , hilastērion "all the same" as you claim?

I do not believe so and I do not believe it is "evasion and rabbit trail" to point that out to you.

Relating to Luke 24:47 specifically, Thayer's defines the word kēryssō as follows:

by public proclamation to exhort to repentance and promise the pardon of sins

HELPS Word-studies ... /kērýssō ("to herald") refers to preaching the Gospel as the authoritative (binding) word of God, bringing eternal accountability to all who hear it
Do you understand now how they received the atonement ? I went into some explaining of that ?

Mar 23, 2016
Do you understand now how they received the atonement ?
I understand your "evasion and rabbit trail" in not acknowledging your error as pointed out in Post #334.

Do you even acknowledge that you changed to give knowledge of salvation in John 1:77 to "receive the Knowledge of the remission of sins"?

Do you understand that when you change the Word of God you no longer have the Word of God?

You are more concerned about my understanding "your points" than your need to understand the Word of God. And that speaks volumes about you.

Then you go on to continue compounding your error in Post #336 ... yeesh!

brightfame52 said:
I went into some explaining of that ?
The only one interested in your "explaining of that" is yourself.

Just stick to what is written in God's Word. God is fully capable of "explaining of that" ... more so than you. And once we have God's Word in our hearts, He works within to bring increase so that we actually understand what it is that He wrote.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Heb 10:10,14

We know that Christ could not have offered Himself for every man without exception simply because, by His offering, meaning His Death, He hath #1 Sanctified them [those He offered Himself for] once and For All. Heb 10:10

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Now the writer of Hebrews says this about the accomplishment of Christ's death for those He died for, that it Sanctified them. The word sanctified here is the greek word hagiazō and it means:

1) to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow

2) to separate from profane things and dedicate to God

a) consecrate things to God

b) dedicate people to God

3) to purify

a) to cleanse externally

b) to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin

c) to purify internally by renewing of the soul

Christ's sacrifice, contrary to the sacrifice of the OT Offerings, which purified outwardly as Per Heb 9:12

13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

Neither did the OT sacrifices take away the guilt of sin Heb 10:1-4

1For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

2For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

3But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

4For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

So, the Death or Offering of Christ far excelled the OT oblations for God's Chosen People, in that is #1 Took away the guilt of their sins, once and for all, and that it provides internal purification !

Now also the word sanctified here in Heb 10:10 is in the perfect tense in the greek ! The Perfect tense means:

an action which is viewed as having been completed in the past, once and for all, not needing to be repeated​

Now, this Truth should be believed by any who say they are Believers in God's Truth.81

If this Truth is believed, then the other scriptures that appear to teach that Christ died for everyone in the world without exception, cannot be teaching that, unless all without exception have in fact been sanctified once and for all by the blood of Christ, and have had their sins guilt put away for good and have or will indeed experience an internal purification. If they do not, then the writer of hebrews has lied, and is proven to be a false witness. Also this Truth establishes the Eternal Security of all those Christ died for !

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
I understand your "evasion and rabbit trail" in not acknowledging your error as pointed out in Post #334.

Do you even acknowledge that you changed to give knowledge of salvation in John 1:77 to "receive the Knowledge of the remission of sins"?

Do you understand that when you change the Word of God you no longer have the Word of God?

You are more concerned about my understanding "your points" than your need to understand the Word of God. And that speaks volumes about you.

Then you go on to continue compounding your error in Post #336 ... yeesh!

The only one interested in your "explaining of that" is yourself.

Just stick to what is written in God's Word. God is fully capable of "explaining of that" ... more so than you. And once we have God's Word in our hearts, He works within to bring increase so that we actually understand what it is that He wrote.
I gave you a biblical understanding of it, i knew you wouldn't pay attention !