The Atonement: What did it REALLY Accomplish?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

People don't like the last five words of that verse.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

People don't like the last five words of that verse.
I do sense it's a result of Christ dying for one!

Jan 31, 2021
Glorying in the Cross not freewill of man ! 3
Since there is no reason to "glory in free will" all this post isn't worth reading. It is the Calvinists who hate the very notion that man is able to believe what God says (gospel) because he has been deceived to believe that God chooses who will believe. But this is not biblical. God offers salvation to everyone (Titus 2:11) and man either believes the gospel or not.

But there is no glorying in free will, since free will is only the opportunity to choose between available options.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
I do sense it's a result of Christ dying for one!
And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again. 2Cor.5:15

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again. 2Cor.5:15
Christ did die for all who live no longer to themselves, because His death will cause that.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
Christ did die for all who live no longer to themselves, because His death will cause that.
His death will also cause condemnation for all who live to themselves..... because they didn't have to.

Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: Eze.33:11

Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Eze.33:20

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
With Him we receive all things to be saved !

Rom 8:32

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Notice, how shall He not with Him ALSO freely give us all things ! The Us here are those whom Christ was delivered up for, every last one of them. Remember He was delivered for their offences Rom 4:25

25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

So when God gave His Son for those He did die for Jn 3:16

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

When God gave His Son for that World of People in Jn 3:16, He gave also with Him, that word with the prep syn means accompany or come along with, to join !

In other words With God giving Christ for those He gave Him for, Joined with Giving Christ was also all things given freely that results in their full and complete Salvation, as the writer of Hebrews indicate Heb 6:9

9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation or Christ, though we thus speak.

Christ is Our Salvation if we are indeed saved ! Ps 68:20

He that is our God is the God of salvation; and unto God the Lord belong the issues from death.

Christ in His Death was given as a Covenant of the People Isa 42:6-7

6 I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

With Christ He gives them Spiritual Sight, opens up their spiritually blind eyes to See the Son, their Covenant Jn 6:40

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

You have to see Him to believe on Him, and so is given them release from the prison of unbelief and spiritual darkness.

See unbelief is an imprisonment. Paul writes in Rom 11:32

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

That word concluded is the greek word sygkleiō and it means:

I.to shut up together, enclose

II.to shut up on all sides, shut up completely

That's an imprisonment, God's Judgment for sin in Adam was to imprison, consign , enclose them in Unbelief or dispbedience for a Purpose of having mercy on them, through Christ being given to them a Covenant, and His Death shall be credited with bringing them out of the prison of unbelief and disobedience !

Also included in that giving them all things with Christ Rom 8:32, He gives them a New Heart to Believe Ezekiel 36:26-27

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

That's How they come to believe and Repent, because by giving them a New Heart and putting His Spirit in them, He causes them to keep His commandments and DO THEM !

So you see, everything for Salvation and living unto God was given along with Christ Rom 8:32 !

I know the followers of antichrist cannot receive this blessed Truth !

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
His death will also cause condemnation for all who live to themselves..... because they didn't have to.

Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: Eze.33:11

Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Eze.33:20
If Christ didn't die for one, they have no choice but to live to themselves, thats what unsaved sinners do and must be saved from. Now all the sinners Christ died for, they will be by the Spirit and power of Gods Grace caused to live not unto themselves, but unto Him that loved them and died for them. 2 Cor 5:15

15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
He died for all. Are you having trouble understanding what, "Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Eze.33:20" means?
He died for all for whom He died, Like all His Sheep. I dont think you understand the word all biblically !

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
He died for all for whom He died, Like all His Sheep. I dont think you understand the word all biblically !
Our Lord died for people who don't know him,

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.....For if when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more being reconciled we shall be saved by his life.
Rom.5:6,10

Reconciliation is made beginning with repentance and this pertains to any sinner who seeks wants it.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Our Lord died for people who don't know him,

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.....For if when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more being reconciled we shall be saved by his life.
Rom.5:6,10

Reconciliation is made beginning with repentance and this pertains to any sinner who seeks wants it.
Nobody knows God by nature, so thats no new revelation. However He died only for all His Sheep, and by doing so, that secured and accomplished their Salvation. All others whom He did not die for shall perish in their sins and unbelief.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
journeyman said

Thats not true. Reconciliation to God begins with the death of Christ Rom 5:10

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

It occurred while they were enemies !

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
Thats not true. Reconciliation to God begins with the death of Christ Rom 5:10

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

It occurred while they were enemies !
Paul is saying it's because Jesus chose to suffer injustice, instead of bringing sinners into judgement that allows for reconciliation. Paul isn't teaching that the unrepentant are reconciled to him.

so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. Rom.5:19

Of course it begins with reason. Reconciliation isn't made without reason.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Christ's Own Testimony !

Christ's own testimony is that His death alone saves those He died for, by this He speaks in Jn 12:23-24

23 And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified.

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Jesus here is stating how the Son of man shall be Glorified, by indicating the sure effects of His Death of His dying. He is that Corn of wheat that which fall into the Ground and dies [signifying His Death] and by that bringeth forth fruit much fruit !

This fruit that His dying produces is Salvation, the Conversion of Souls, New Life ! To deny this is to deny His very words, and shows that we are against Him and His Cross, its in fact antichrist ! 22

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
Jn.12:23-24 has our Lord saying the gospel has gone out to the world. Greek believers came seeking him, because the heard about him raising Lazarus from the dead (vss.17-22).

Then Jesus said,

If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour. (vs.26).

God prevents no one who desires to come to him.

Jan 31, 2021
Also, v.14 and v.19 also make it clear that Christ died for everyone.

Jan 31, 2021
He died for all for whom He died, Like all His Sheep.
Glad you mentioned John 10. In that chapter Jesus speaks of sheep that are His, other sheep of His, and those not of His.

Yet, it says several times that He would lay down His life for THE sheep.

If calvinism were correct, He would have plainly said that He would lay down His life for His sheep. And He didn't.

I dont think you understand the word all biblically !
I don't think you understand the Bible.

Jan 31, 2021
If Christ didn't die for one, they have no choice but to live to themselves, thats what unsaved sinners do and must be saved from. Now all the sinners Christ died for, they will be by the Spirit and power of Gods Grace caused to live not unto themselves, but unto Him that loved them and died for them. 2 Cor 5:15

15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
The first part of v.15 and in v.14 the text says plainly that "He died for all". What it doesn't say is: He died for all the elect". That's the calvinist spin and twist of the verses. Many many others.