The Authentic "Acts of Pilate" – A Valuable Historical Record

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
PART I

Christians will frequently find on the Internet statements to the effect that the “The Acts of Pilate” (The Acta Pilati) is to be dismissed as a spurious apocryphal writing (generally connected to the apocryphal Gospel of Nicodemus) which has absolutely no value. But that is based upon the forgeries and false writings of the same name which were circulated within the Roman Empire to attack Christ and Christianity.

However a single old and defaced copy of the genuine Acta Pilati was retained within the pope’s library in the Vatican for a very long time, until a transcript of it was made by the librarian and sent to Reverend George Sluter in the United States in the late 19th century.
Mr. Sluter published “The Acta Pilati” in 1879, and the title page was as follow:

The Acta Pilati
Important Testimony of Pontius Pilate
Recently Discovered
Being His Official Report to the Emperor Tiberius
Concerning The
CRUCIFIXION OF CHRIST
In his Preface the author stated: “My object in publishing this book is to show that the historic evidence for the history contained in the Gospels is ample and explicit... The very fact that it does not give anything new or singular is in favor of its genuineness.... He [Pilate] does not say that Jesus arose from the dead, but that his tomb was found empty... The discovery of this long lost testimony of Pilate, amid the vast mass of unedited parchments in the Vatican, is certainly an event of extraordinary importance in the history of the Christian Evidences...”

In his introduction Sluter tells us how he came into possession of this remarkable document which was written in Latin. The parchment was concealed among 24,000 manuscripts in the *penetralia* (innermost parts or recesses) of the Vatican. He also mentions that men of letters from the earliest Christian times were familiar with this report to Tiberius Cesar from the Roman governor of Judea. “References to it abound in all profound works concerning the historical aspects of the argument for the divine origin of Christianity”. Indeed the Acta Pilati pre-dates all other writings (including the Gospels) since Pilate wrote it immediately after the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ (AD 30). “It is a powerful argument for the truth of the Gospel, and from an entirely unique and independent standpoint. It is not from the pen of a Christian Apologist, but from the pen of a Heathen... We may well therefore claim that we have here a powerful collateral secular proof of the truth of Gospel History”.

The author tells us that a scholar from Westphalia, Germany (who was not a theologian), visited the pope’s library and was allowed to read many of the documents which were hidden there. There was a collection called “The Emperor Tiberias Caesar’s Court”, and that is where he found this official report from Pilate and read it. However, he put this out of his mind until he happened to be a guest at the home of the author. That’s when he recalled seeing this manuscript. But it was sometime later that Reverend Sluter wrote and asked him if he could obtain a transcript of the manuscript. The scholar then contacted Father Freelinhusen, the custodian of the library, who agreed to provide a transcript, and then authenticated it as follows: " Rome, Italy April 26th, 1859. I hereby forward you the transcript as it is on record in the Vatican in Tiberius Caesar's Court by Pilate. I certify this to be a true copy word for word, as it occurs there. PETER FREELINHUSEN”.

At the same time Sluter pointed out that “It is exceedingly difficult to gain access to these ancient and valuable manuscripts. They are guarded with the utmost care, and it is next to impossible to procure a copy of any of them, through any means.” Which means that the librarian made a huge exception in this case, and no doubt there was divine Providence at work also.

But Sluter kept it for twenty years as a *private literary treasure*, until he felt compelled to publish it as the urging of many *esteemed friends*. He went on to say: “As being the most ancient non-biblical testimony about Christ—antedating even the first of the Gospels and Epistles—it will be read with feelings of peculiar interest and even awe.” He also pointed out that there was now a complete chain of non-biblical evidence regarding our Savior’s life, starting with the taxing by Caesar Augustus and leading up to the report by Pontius Pilate.

Furthermore, Sluter pointed out that the Early Church Fathers (including Justin Martyr, Tertullian, and Eusebius) “deemed this document of the highest authority and value”. Eusebius wrote that Tiberias Caesar wanted the Roman Senate to recognize Jesus as a God, but the Senate declined because Tiberias himself had refused to take that designation. Nonetheless, this document prevented Tiberius from persecuting Christians, and he may even have become a believer.

However, during the reign of emperor Maximinus I, the Acts of Pilate were forged in AD 311 to bring discredit to Christ and Christianity. Many evil things were written in those forgeries. Eusebius recorded this in his Ecclesiastical History, Book IX, chapter 5, page 414. But Sluter says that the fact that this document was attacked proves its value. In fact, it became a *state paper* of the Roman government, and thereby gained a very high standing. The Roman emperors maintained magnificent libraries in which they preserved valuable documents. “Pilate’s report has all the more value to us, in that it is in no sense intended to be in the interest of Jesus, but that its original design was his own defense against possible accusation of maladministration”.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
PART II

What are the main points which Pilate brought to the attention of the emperor Tiberias Caesar and reflect the Gospel accounts?

He recognized that events concerning Christ could change the destiny of Rome (which they did):” I should not be surprised if in the course of time they may change the destiny of our nation, for it seems of late that the gods have ceased to be propitious”.

He concluded that his governorship of Judea had been a disaster:I am almost ready to say: Cursed be the day that I succeeded Valerius Gratus in the government of Judea.”

He lived in constant dread of an insurrection by the Jews and that he would not be able to handle it: “So turbulent were the people that I lived in momentary dread of an insurrection. To suppress it I had but a single centurion and a handful of soldiers.”

Jesus of Nazareth had come to his attention is a favorable way: “A young man, it was said, had appeared in Galilee, preaching with a noble unction a new law, in the name of the gods that had sent him”.

He noted that Jesus was not inciting sedition or rebellion against Rome:At first I was apprehensive that his design was to stir up the people against the Romans, but soon were my fears dispelled. Jesus of Nazareth spake rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews.”

Pilate was thoroughly impressed with the sayings of Christ:On entering the Pretorium I found Manlius [his secretary] who related to me the words Jesus had pronounced at Siloe [Siloam]. Never have I heard in the Petticoe [?], nor in the works of the philosophers, anything that can compare to the maxims of Jesus.”

Pilate chose to allow Jesus full liberty without Roman interference, even though the Jews complained about Christ: “He was at liberty to act, to speak, to assemble and address the people, to choose disciples unrestrained by any Pretorian mandate.”

Pilate wrote to Jesus requesting an interview at the Pretorium, and according to him, Christ met with Pilate: “I wrote to Jesus requesting an interview with him at the Pretorium... When he came up to me he stopped, and by a signal sign he seemed to say to me ‘I am here’... [Pilate said to Jesus] ‘My request – I do not say my order – is you be more circumspect in the future... The Nazarene calmly replied ‘Prince of the earth, you words do not proceed from true wisdom... Verily, I say unto you, before the Rose of Sharon blossoms, the blood of the [J]ust shall be spilt”.

Pilate went on to offer Jesus his protection, but Christ refused that. As a result Pilate ordered Jesus to be more moderate in His discourses, but Christ responded that He would do the will of the Father, and that Pilate did not have the power to arrest Him. There is quite a lengthy discourse regarding this meeting. Pilate also stated that three powerful parties were arrayed against Christ – the Herodians, the Sadducces, and the Pharisees.

Pilate noted that Christ’s enemies went to Herod to seek his help in persecuting and putting Him to death Christ: To Herod, who then reigned in Galilee, the enemies of Jesus addressed themselves, to wreak their vengeance on the Nazarene.”

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
PART III

11. Then Pilate went on to speak of the final feast of Passover and all the events which followed: “The great feast of the Jews was approaching, and the intention was to avail themselves of the popular exultation which always manifests itself at the solemnities of a [ P]assover. The city was overflowing with a tumultuous populace clamoring for the death of the Nazarene.”

Pilate says that he sought reinforcements from Syria to control the rebellious crowds, but his request was declined at the time: “The danger was pressing. A Roman centurion had been insulted. I wrote to the prefect of Syria for a hundred foot soldiers, and as many cavalry. He declined. I saw myself alone, with a handful of veterans, in the midst of a rebellious city, too weak to suppress a disorder, and having no other choice left but to tolerate it.” Pilate also noted that he was hated by the Jews for a number of reasons.

Pilate confirmed that Jesus was brought before the high priest and condemned to death, but both the high priest and Herod shifted the decision for the execution of Christ to Pilate: “Jesus was dragged before the high priest and condemned to death. It was then that the high priest, Caiaphas, performed a derisory act of submission. He sent his prisoner to me to pronounce his condemnation, and secure his execution. I answered him, that as Jesus was a Galilean, the affair came in Herod's jurisdiction, and ordered him to be sent hither. The wily tetrarch professed humility, and protesting his preference to the Lieutenant of Caesar, he committed the fate of the man to my hands.”

Pilate noted that his wife begged him not to harm Jesus, but as we know, Pilate failed to give heed to her warning: “I had taken a wife – a girl from among the Gauls – who professed to see into futurity –weeping and throwing herself at my feet – ‘Beware’ said she to me ‘Beware, and touch not that man, for he is holy. Last night I saw him in a vision...”

Pilate then described what happened in the Hall of Justice: “The Nazarene was brought back to me. I proceeded to the hall of justice, followed by my guard, and asked the people in a severed tone, what they demanded. ‘The death of the Nazarene’ was the reply. ‘For what crime? ‘He has blasphemed. He has prophesied the ruin of the Temple. He calls himself the Son of God, the Messiah, the King of the Jews’. ‘Roman justice’ said I ‘punishes not such offences with death’. ‘Crucify him, crucify him!’ belched forth the relentless rabble...”

Pilate attempted to exonerate himself for his decision to have Christ crucified: “After many fruitless attempts to protect him from this fury of his merciless persecutors, I adopted a measure which, at the moment, appeared to me to be the only one that could save his life. I ordered him to be scourged, then calling for an ewer, I washed my hands in the presence of the multitude, thereby signifying to them my disapproval of the deed.”

Pilate noted that the thirst for blood shown by the crowds signified that demons were inciting the people: “It might have been truly said, that on this occasion all the phantoms of the infernal regions had assembled at Jerusalem. The crowd appeared not to walk; they were borne off, and whirled as a vortex, rolling along like living waves, from the portals of the Pretorium even unto Mount Zion, with howlings, screams, shrieks, and vociferations, such as were never heard in the seditions of the Panonia, or in the tumult of the forum.”

Pilate was convinced that what was happening on that day pertained to “the gods” (supernatural): “I was left alone, and my breaking heart admonished me that what was passing at that moment appertained rather to the history of the gods, than man.”

Pilate heard the cry of agony from Golgotha and he realized that this was a unique dreadful event: A loud clamor was heard proceeding from Golgotha, which, borne on the winds, seemed to announce an agony such as had never been heard by mortal ears. Dark clouds lowered over the pinnacle of the temple, and, settling over the city, covered it with a veil. So dreadful were the signs that were seen, both in the heavens and on the earth, that Dionysius, the Areopagite, is reported to have exclaimed, ‘Either the author of nature is suffering, or the universe is falling apart.’”

Pilate recorded the request of Joseph of Arimathea to entomb the body of Jesus: “’Father’ I said to him mildly, ‘who are you and what is your request?” ‘I am Joseph of Arimathea” replied he, ‘and I am come to beg of you, upon my knees, the permission to bury Jesus of Nazareth.’ ‘Your prayer is granted’ said I to him, and at the same time order Manlius to take some soldiers with him to superintend the internment, lest it should be profaned.”

Pilate recorded the fact of the empty tomb, and that the disciples of Christ published the fact of His resurrection: “A few days after, the sepulchre was found empty. His disciples published all over the country that Jesus had risen from the dead, as he had foretold.”

Pilate lamented the fact that the reinforcements which he had requested arrived too late to avert the crucifixion of Christ: “Casting my eye towards the Caesarean gate I beheld a troop of soldiers, and heard at a distance other trumpets sounding Caesar's march. It was the reinforcement that had been promised me. Two thousand chosen troops who, to hasten their arrival, had marched all night.‘ It has been decreed by the fates,’ cried 1, wringing my hands, '' that the great iniquity should be accomplished; that for the purpose of averting the deeds of yesterday, troops should arrive to-day!”

Sep 13, 2018
PART I

Christians will frequently find on the Internet statements to the effect that the “The Acts of Pilate” (The Acta Pilati) is to be dismissed as a spurious apocryphal writing (generally connected to the apocryphal Gospel of Nicodemus) which has absolutely no value. But that is based upon the forgeries and false writings of the same name which were circulated within the Roman Empire to attack Christ and Christianity.

However a single old and defaced copy of the genuine Acta Pilati was retained within the pope’s library in the Vatican for a very long time, until a transcript of it was made by the librarian and sent to Reverend George Sluter in the United States in the late 19th century.
Mr. Sluter published “The Acta Pilati” in 1879, and the title page was as follow:

The Acta Pilati
Important Testimony of Pontius Pilate
Recently Discovered
Being His Official Report to the Emperor Tiberius
Concerning The
CRUCIFIXION OF CHRIST

In his Preface the author stated: “My object in publishing this book is to show that the historic evidence for the history contained in the Gospels is ample and explicit... The very fact that it does not give anything new or singular is in favor of its genuineness.... He [Pilate] does not say that Jesus arose from the dead, but that his tomb was found empty... The discovery of this long lost testimony of Pilate, amid the vast mass of unedited parchments in the Vatican, is certainly an event of extraordinary importance in the history of the Christian Evidences...”

In his introduction Sluter tells us how he came into possession of this remarkable document which was written in Latin. The parchment was concealed among 24,000 manuscripts in the *penetralia* (innermost parts or recesses) of the Vatican. He also mentions that men of letters from the earliest Christian times were familiar with this report to Tiberius Cesar from the Roman governor of Judea. “References to it abound in all profound works concerning the historical aspects of the argument for the divine origin of Christianity”. Indeed the Acta Pilati pre-dates all other writings (including the Gospels) since Pilate wrote it immediately after the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ (AD 30). “It is a powerful argument for the truth of the Gospel, and from an entirely unique and independent standpoint. It is not from the pen of a Christian Apologist, but from the pen of a Heathen... We may well therefore claim that we have here a powerful collateral secular proof of the truth of Gospel History”.

The author tells us that a scholar from Westphalia, Germany (who was not a theologian), visited the pope’s library and was allowed to read many of the documents which were hidden there. There was a collection called “The Emperor Tiberias Caesar’s Court”, and that is where he found this official report from Pilate and read it. However, he put this out of his mind until he happened to be a guest at the home of the author. That’s when he recalled seeing this manuscript. But it was sometime later that Reverend Sluter wrote and asked him if he could obtain a transcript of the manuscript. The scholar then contacted Father Freelinhusen, the custodian of the library, who agreed to provide a transcript, and then authenticated it as follows: " Rome, Italy April 26th, 1859. I hereby forward you the transcript as it is on record in the Vatican in Tiberius Caesar's Court by Pilate. I certify this to be a true copy word for word, as it occurs there. PETER FREELINHUSEN”.

At the same time Sluter pointed out that “It is exceedingly difficult to gain access to these ancient and valuable manuscripts. They are guarded with the utmost care, and it is next to impossible to procure a copy of any of them, through any means.” Which means that the librarian made a huge exception in this case, and no doubt there was divine Providence at work also.

But Sluter kept it for twenty years as a *private literary treasure*, until he felt compelled to publish it as the urging of many *esteemed friends*. He went on to say: “As being the most ancient non-biblical testimony about Christ—antedating even the first of the Gospels and Epistles—it will be read with feelings of peculiar interest and even awe.” He also pointed out that there was now a complete chain of non-biblical evidence regarding our Savior’s life, starting with the taxing by Caesar Augustus and leading up to the report by Pontius Pilate.

Furthermore, Sluter pointed out that the Early Church Fathers (including Justin Martyr, Tertullian, and Eusebius) “deemed this document of the highest authority and value”. Eusebius wrote that Tiberias Caesar wanted the Roman Senate to recognize Jesus as a God, but the Senate declined because Tiberias himself had refused to take that designation. Nonetheless, this document prevented Tiberius from persecuting Christians, and he may even have become a believer.

However, during the reign of emperor Maximinus I, the Acts of Pilate were forged in AD 311 to bring discredit to Christ and Christianity. Many evil things were written in those forgeries. Eusebius recorded this in his Ecclesiastical History, Book IX, chapter 5, page 414. But Sluter says that the fact that this document was attacked proves its value. In fact, it became a *state paper* of the Roman government, and thereby gained a very high standing. The Roman emperors maintained magnificent libraries in which they preserved valuable documents. “Pilate’s report has all the more value to us, in that it is in no sense intended to be in the interest of Jesus, but that its original design was his own defense against possible accusation of maladministration”.

The first Christians were Catholic. That's it, That's all...

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The firsst Gentile believers attached themselves to Israel by means of the faith of Abraham. The beginning of the schism between truly faithful and those who resented being fellow heirs with the Israel of God occurred when certain false brethren begant to insist upon not using Hebrew terms in order to distance themselves from Israel, namely Jews, and began calling themselves Christian.

There is nothing wrong with the word, Christian, as long as it does not blind the believer to the reality that we are all of the faith of Abraham because of Jesus, Yeshua's Gospel and crucifixion…. God bless all who believe eJesus, Yeshua..amen.

Edit: I almost forgot the inspirational posst inciting this response. The Catholic entity did not exist for about three hundred years after Antioch...