The Basics of Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
In Acts 2:5 we see that there were JEWS from EVERY NATION. The Jews are the people God said that He would speak to through men of strange tongues...

Acts 2:5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.

In addition, in Acts 2:6 we see that the Jews from every nation spoke in many different languages...

Acts 2:6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

Just look at the list of places the Jews had come from...

Acts 2:8-Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs-we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!"

Please note that the word for languages is the name "tongues," see Acts 2:11.

God in His infinite wisdom knew that the Gentiles speaking in tongues would be a sign to the Jews that the Gentiles are also included in salvation. Can you imagine how necessary it was for the Jews to have the sign that salvation is for the Gentiles too? This is very important since the Jews called the Gentiles "unclean people." It was even against the law for Jews to associate closely with the Gentiles. See the following passage how God poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit even on the Gentiles, as was evident by the Gentiles speaking in tongues and praising God.

Acts 10:44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
We can talk more about that, but first let's discuss your downright denial of the scriptures I gave about tongues being for a sign.
Quote me where I denied the verses you posted.

Before moving on in this discussion, if you care about the truth, then deal with the fact that you went against scripture.
Again, quote me.

Don't bother making accusations about what I have written without quoting me as saying what you claim that I've said. If you can't quote me, then don't make the accusation.

By the way, if all you can muster is proof that I disagree with your interpretation, then save your pixels, and get used to it. Your interpretation is not Scripture.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
Quote me where I denied the verses you posted.

Again, quote me.

Don't bother making accusations about what I have written without quoting me as saying what you claim that I've said. If you can't quote me, then don't make the accusation.

By the way, if all you can muster is proof that I disagree with your interpretation, then save your pixels, and get used to it. Your interpretation is not Scripture.
Believe what is written.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
Your argument (in bold) is refuted by the events of Acts 10, wherein Cornelius and the others spoke in tongues upon their salvation in the absence of any unsaved Jews.
You went against me saying speaking in tongues was a sign to the Jews.

Here is the scriptures that say tongues is a sign to the Jews:

Isaiah 28:11 Very well then, with foreign lips

and strange tongues God will speak to this people,

12 to whom he said, "This is the resting place, let the weary rest";

and, "This is the place of repose"—

but they would not listen.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You went against me saying speaking in tongues was a sign to the Jews.

Here is the scriptures that say tongues is a sign to the Jews:

Isaiah 28:11 Very well then, with foreign lips

and strange tongues God will speak to this people,

12 to whom he said, "This is the resting place, let the weary rest";

and, "This is the place of repose"—

but they would not listen.
QUOTE me.

If you can't QUOTE me saying what you claim that I said, then don't make the claim. In other words, put up or shut up.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
QUOTE me.

If you can't QUOTE me saying what you claim that I said, then don't make the claim. In other words, put up or shut up.
You don't even know what you say. Why don't you use the quote feature and click back to the conversation?

Here, proof you said it.

Your argument (in bold) is refuted by the events of Acts 10, wherein Cornelius and the others spoke in tongues upon their salvation in the absence of any unsaved Jews.

Jul 23, 2018
I have not cherry picked verses, but given the essence of what Paul was teaching. We could go through 1 Corinthians 12-14 to see that. However, if you believe that tongues are for you, then there is nothing more to be said.
You did

Dec 12, 2013
I was having that discussion with Dcon last night...where do you get clay feet from or parable?

do you understand what the armor is for that is described in Ephesians? or do you see this also as a parable...

I really do not understand your conclusions here or why you would say those things
Me neither....I said nothing like that....!

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Everything you said in that post.
Not exactly a helpful comment. Constructing a good justification of a position is helpful.

Simply one can believe anything and God bring a demonstration of something else.
It is clear Paul spoke in tongues and hoped all believers also did.
That seals the gifting to everyone.

Nothing Paul wrote was time specific. Once could argue some is culturally specific, but
tongues does not fit this profile.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
Not exactly a helpful comment. Constructing a good justification of a position is helpful.

Simply one can believe anything and God bring a demonstration of something else.
It is clear Paul spoke in tongues and hoped all believers also did.
That seals the gifting to everyone.

Nothing Paul wrote was time specific. Once could argue some is culturally specific, but
tongues does not fit this profile.
You are the one who refuses to discuss the scriptures I gave proving my beliefs.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You don't even know what you say. Why don't you use the quote feature and click back to the conversation?

Here, proof you said it.
Since the words of mine that you quoted don't deny Scripture, you have no evidence, no proof, and no argument.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Thanks for the reply an opportunity to offer my opinion.

Corrupted flesh as that seen is considered sinful .It is why the Son of man put it on for a short period, in order to condemn sin in the flesh .In that way the demonstration can be seen as a witness to the whole world for all time.

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

No demonstration, no witness, no condemnation.

The Son of man Jesus of his own flesh declared it cannot profit, as spiritual. It is the unseen eternal Spirit is that does give spirit life. (lamb of God slain from before the foundation of the world(walk by faith). Giving us eternal life to our corrupted spirits.

We can rest as we are perfected if we mix the faith of God in what we do hear and believe. When we do mix faith (believe him not seen) we have entered that rest as we eat the daily bread of His will.. Chapter 4 of Hebrews shows us that wonderful truth that he applies to our account on his behalf. Rest in our work yoked with Christ the better thing that accompanies salvation. (Hebrew 6) .

Mixing faith is the gospel key that unlocks the gates of hell as we rest in the finished work of Christ. He is our sabbath rest . He promises us if he has begun the good work in us giving us his rest .he will finish it to the end as our "born again confidence". (Phil 1;6)

The idea of "mixing faith" as to how it is accomplished must be looked into .Many from my experience dismiss the idea that God needs faith to work out his will. The idea of mixing faith is foreign to most even though god does perform it in them
You could say a faith, rest gospel is the mixture of love.

Hebrews 4:1-11 King James Version (KJV) Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:(no faith) Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. (no faith)

Ok, there's a few things that I question but basically this shows you are on the right foundation. IMO of course. 🙂

So at Pentecost, what exactly happened in your understanding?

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
You are the one who refuses to discuss the scriptures I gave proving my beliefs.
No one has saidou in scripture tongues stopped.
Has prophecy stopped? No. Acts have prophets who warn Paul.
What is called prophecy today is largely fake, but that does not mean God does not
speak to His people.

Has teaching stopped? Have words of knowledge or the fruit of the Spirit stopped?
What is closed is the cannon of scripture, because we have enough for a liftime.
But messages of love, encouragement, getting alongside by the Lord are still there.

Would you a father not talk to your children and help them if one could?
It is this simple, but it upsets your construction and closed view of love.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
No one has saidou in scripture tongues stopped.
Has prophecy stopped? No. Acts have prophets who warn Paul.
What is called prophecy today is largely fake, but that does not mean God does not
speak to His people.

Has teaching stopped? Have words of knowledge or the fruit of the Spirit stopped?
What is closed is the cannon of scripture, because we have enough for a liftime.
But messages of love, encouragement, getting alongside by the Lord are still there.

Would you a father not talk to your children and help them if one could?
It is this simple, but it upsets your construction and closed view of love.
I already proved it and you just spoke around it.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
This is not true. I watched that documentary. It looks like they go into some kind of hypnotic like state when they are readying themselves to pick up snakes.

God is wisdom. It's not wise to do this, nor have any of us been like these things I viewed on tv. I'd never be involved with this but hopefully if I got accidentally bit, outside by a coral snake which Florida has, I could shake it off in faith like Paul.

So quit asking this stupid question and stop trying to associate the things of Holy Spirit with superstitious actions.

Be filled yourself then you will know the difference.
Yeah, i was filled with something and i used to speak meaningless words back in the years, not anymore because i can't link meaningless words to God- how can i? God only works understanding, not misunderstanding, why else would He be known as the Truth?

It is funny that you are dismissing someone else's tongue because of what they practice/handle apart from their tongues; you are not using 1 Cor 14/ Acts/ 1 Cor 12 to dismiss their tongues yet when it comes to supporting your tongues, you don't mention your own behavior because apparently you have 1 Cor 14/Acts/1 Cor 12 to support you.
Why don't you say "because i'm well behaved, my tongue is a genuine gift?", only then, your point of view (because they are not well behaved/handle snakes, their tongues are not genuine) will make sense. Does it mean when these people put down the snake, their tongues automatically become genuine? Do you mean that because you are perfectly behaved, you don't sin or lie or admire or keep snakes, your tongues are genuine?

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
When you do that error by association,try and understand that Peter,and king David were men of God and yet flawed.
Dont smear heaven over man's improper use of gifts.
I don't see any improper use of gifts if there's any gift of tongues by the snake handlers according to what you believe. I mean, you are the one saying that tongues is unknown language and the snake handlers speak an unknown language just like you do; if they are using that gift improperly, then you are also using it improperly.

Note, they don't use their tongues to handle snakes, snake handling is a different practice and speaking in tongues is a different practice. It would be interesting to know how you came to the conclusion that they are using the gift of tongues wrongly while you are ok when it comes to using the same gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.