The Basics of Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
It does not matter what you use
Tongues means language. The people on the day of pentecost heard the disciples speak in thier OWN TONGUE (LANGUAGE)
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.
Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.
When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.
Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans?
Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?
Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome
(both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs--we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!"
Acts 2:4-11

Galileans were speaking yet all these people heard their own language.
Now tongues as it is experienced is someone speaking another language they do not know under the
guidance of the Holy Spirit. Testimony after testimony of this occurring, witnessing to God and His truth
has been heard. When the believer goes back as sees the same here in scripture, they conclude it is
the Holy Spirit witnessing great things in His power.

No one chooses how God works, He works. In the past when He worked this way, people would be quiet
because they know the reaction would be ridicule. Today we know how God does work and people can
now share openly about it. Praise the Lord He choose to confound the wisdom of this world with the
foolishness of heaven.

E

eternally-gratefull

Not that I know of for a fact. But, I was asking the question. 😇 Can you explain how the Spirit prays when the mind is not productive?
The spirit has access to Jesus on the throne room. He can speak on our behalf without us ever hearing a word.

That is what is so great about the HS. Being an omnipresent being, he can not only be in all people. He can at the same moment be in the presence of God.

E

eternally-gratefull

Uh huh...that was the point UG.

I don't mean this as an insult. But...one cannot understand the gifts of Holy Spirit until one has tasted.

I couldn't. Plus I was told it was the devil. Exact words. This is just superstition, and deceptive lies of the enemy to keep the body of Christ bound from being a force in the world as Jesus meant it to be.

Plus....Jesus operated with all giftings. Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Father.
So because one has not spoken in tongues they can not understand the gifts of the spirit?

Excuse me sis. But really??

Everyone here who has been saved has a gift. I am sure many of them use that gift often, Just because they do not prophesy or speak an unknown language does not mean they do not understand

E

eternally-gratefull

You made the comparison sis...not me....and baseball chatter is not peddled as tongues.........Like I have said....when one can stand up, speak English and a Chinese man with no English back ground can understand and hear the English in Mandrin and another can interpret....I will buy it......until then......cease, fail and vanish away continue to be ignored while MOST occurences are nothing more than fleshly outbursts......note.....I said MOST....not ALL......Or...one with NO BACKGROUND IN MANDRIN can stand and speak it fluently with interpretors......
And I will say, I do think things like this happens across the world.. I used to be a full cessacionalist. But people here have changed my view.. If God needs it to led people to christ, he will use it.

I also believe there will be a time in the future where 144000 jews will all speak in tongues s they go out to re-evangelise the world.

E

eternally-gratefull

Experience
fellowship with other saints who also pray in tongues
never in 23 years have I ever heard any tongue that sounded fake or counterfeit.
Tell that to my aunt who walked away from God because she FAKED speaking in tongues, because she was embarrased she had been going for almost 2 years and could never speak. and the pastor gave some rediculous interpretation. My aunt walked away from church never to go back!

E

eternally-gratefull

Its sad, I came in and wanted to discuss baptism, and ended up as these conversations always end up.

This is almost as bad as the grace/works discussion, except this discussion is not even salvic, which makes it worse for children of God to act this way.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
You should be carefu what you ask for Peter... Your one of the worse offenders!
Hi EG,

What are you referring to? I am an offender of what precisely?
And who is this Peter you are referring to?
And I am very careful my friend, because I know who is my Lord.
For Christ defeated the enemy on the cross and he has no authority here in
the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, Amen.

God bless you EG, for we are always called to do the will of the Father.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Tell that to my aunt who walked away from God because she FAKED speaking in tongues, because she was embarrased she had been going for almost 2 years and could never speak. and the pastor gave some rediculous interpretation. My aunt walked away from church never to go back!
This is why I am cautious about what is real and what is fake.
Take Bethel claiming 80% of prophecy is fake.
On this basis 20% of scripture is true and you can junk the rest.

Once integrity of the heart is thrown away and pretending becomes God all is lost.
My wife and I speak in tongues but rarely in open and only if God inspires us.
Peoples hearts are into wanting to believe something is true so pretend.

At the end, when God tests the heart of men, this issue is one of the most important.
Purity and truth, seeking His ways above our own, and knowing that we truly love Him
and desire to do His will. A lot of the issues would disappear if people saw God
just expects this level of honesty, no more.

Jul 23, 2018
1 Corinthians 14:33
for God is not a God of confusion, but of peace; as in all the churches of the saints.
That is why paul was not confused when his spirit prayed but his mind was unfruitful. His mind did not know what the Holy Spirit was praying through him.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
Experience
fellowship with other saints who also pray in tongues
never in 23 years have I ever heard any tongue that sounded fake or counterfeit.
You are realy shure. You even dont know what you pray. How you will know what others pray?

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
One of many things I learned during my spiritual journey...+45 years.
- You cannot persuade/convince people on certain subject/issue.
- Even with Biblical, theological and historical argument/facts..
- Especially, those who has been Christian for sometime.
- Subject like "speaking in tongues".
---
Many of those who oppose " speaking in tongues "- did not have "good encounter/experience" with people
who "speak in tongues" - and "tongues spoken" at meetings/services.
---
During my journey, I have seen "genuine" practice of spiritual gifts. - Not just gift of tongues.
I have been at meetings/services - "tongues spoken and interpretation given".

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
You are realy shure. You even dont know what you pray. How you will know what others pray?
The insane thing is encouraging people to believe in lies and lies do not matter.
When Jesus said let your yes be yes and your no be no, it is all about truth.
Once people say appearing to have something while not, like being anointed of God,
is missing the whole gospel for the sake of being a spiritual super hero.

The whole of scripture is founded upon it being the truth, and Jesus's words do not
change eternally.

If His people live by lies and fake behaviour, they do not know Him.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
It is noted, if i'm not wrong that everytime tongues were used in the bible, it was either by the Jews in the presence of the gentiles or by the gentiles in the presence of the Jews. This explains further the purpose of tongues; it is not a prayer language and it doesn't involve meaningless words. It was a miracle to the ears of the hearer; what we hear today is noise.

E

eternally-gratefull

Hi EG,

What are you referring to? I am an offender of what precisely?
And who is this Peter you are referring to?
And I am very careful my friend, because I know who is my Lord.
For Christ defeated the enemy on the cross and he has no authority here in
the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, Amen.

God bless you EG, for we are always called to do the will of the Father.
So you deny being peter? Why could you not do that the other day when you were asked multiple times if you were him or not?

And now after all this time, you deny even knowing who he is?

Again, You are your own worse enemy

My point was, you are an offendor of the things you judged others of doing.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Oh boy, here we go again.

Talk about Bias.. Your arguing with the greek word. And the english word used in the 1600’s I mean really..
I write error and you see Greek word? are you reading into the word error? I mean really?

E

eternally-gratefull

I write error and you see Greek word? are you reading into the word error? I mean really?
What I see is you think the word “tongue” has a different meaning than the modern day word “language” even though the greek word would fit BOTH english words. (Not seperate)

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
God never promised everyne would have the gift. So not sure how faith will assure it.. If God has no need of me speaking in a different language. All the faith in the world will not help
You are right. Not all will have the gift of tongues or giving a message to the body. Both prophecy and tongues gifting will be known to the speaker by the anointing stirring within. Then one steps out to give with the go ahead given by whoever is leading the meeting. Usually it's known by many that God is going to speak.

The language of prayer, singing in the Spirit together, that is a different thing. All can have this.

There are blocks to this. The apostle or prophet can stir them up or even be the instrument for gifts to be given.

The church that I grew up in believed in sanctification or living holy. I know that there were some that I'm sure if the gifts had been taught, they would of had them manifest.

God wants us all to experience His power within. To tabernacle with us in every way and to the fullness of being one with Him. That is the perfect. When we are filled and not in measure. When? Not sure.

E

eternally-gratefull

You are right. Not all will have the gift of tongues or giving a message to the body. Both prophecy and tongues gifting will be known to the speaker by the anointing stirring within. Then one steps out to give with the go ahead given by whoever is leading the meeting. Usually it's known by many that God is going to speak.

The language of prayer, singing in the Spirit together, that is a different thing. All can have this.

There are blocks to this. The apostle or prophet can stir them up or even be the instrument for gifts to be given.

The church that I grew up in believed in sanctification or living holy. I know that there were some that I'm sure if the gifts had been taught, they would of had them manifest.

God wants us all to experience His power within. To tabernacle with us in every way and to the fullness of being one with Him. That is the perfect. When we are filled and not in measure. When? Not sure.
I experience gods power in many ways every day. I take offense that you or anyone else thinks I have to have some special manifestation of the spirit to experience Gods power.

That is the problem with many churches, they focus too much on certain things, and not enough on others. And think unless you have these things, something is wrong..

Status
Not open for further replies.