The Bible and abortion.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EconGrad

Murder is wrong for human beings only because we are putting our will in place of God's will. God has a will for when everyone will die. The Bible indicates this:

King David prayed “O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"
Psalm 39:4

God said to Solomon: "if you will walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days.”
1 Kings 3:14

Abortion is wrong because it substitutes God's will for a life, for the will of a mother. A mother may not want a child but it is God's will whether the child lives or dies.

S

sutra

It would seem that a nation or a people wanting to wipe out another nation would be putting their will above God's. The only difference is once again is one group of people claiming that God told them to.

E

EconGrad

sutra, Christians generally accept the Bible as scripture inspired by God Himself. All that we know about Christ and his life is from the Bible.

If we accept the Old Testament as history then when God told the Israelites to kill Canaanites, they were following his will.

Perhaps you would have approved of the many Israelites that disobeyed the command to kill the Canaanites and fell under God's judgment?

When Israelites first came to Canaan they refused to kill the Canaanites (out of fear) and had to wander in the desert for 40 years as punishment.

King Saul was punished for not killing all the Amalekites and their animals.

I suppose sutra, you think Saul and Israelites were right when they disobeyed God and didn't kill all the Canaanites and Amalekites?

S

sutra

I think the hand and mind of man is a funny thing- it has a way of twisting things any way it wants to to justify being in control.

J

jnrz7292

we're doing a research on abortion and it pains me to know that these women don't even want to see their children.

R

Rosinsky

Murder is also ripping open a pregnant woman's belly and then smashing the baby's head against a rock. Like I said regardless of whether someone "claims" God told them to or they go to a doctor-it's still killing innocent life-how is it different?
I believe you've answered your own question. The difference is simple: God told them to do it. It doesn't end here, there are numerous instances in the bible where God commanded the killing of people. I can try to rationalize it and/or try to find an excuse for God, but He does not need it. He is Sovereign and just in all that He does. The fact remains that God is the giver and the taker of life. Sometimes what may seems as evil actions in our eyes by God manifest His righteousness and holiness.

One thing I must mention is that God does make it clear that if we are to choose between life and death, then we should choose life. This verse in Deuteronomy comes to mind: Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live! (Deut 30:19, NLT)

D

Derek

I just heard an interview today of some former abortion clinic worker. She was talking about how 60% of the girls that went in there thought they were pregnant but weren't and that the clinic would still pretend to do an abortion procedure on them. The clinic would get paid and the girl would leave without ever knowing the difference. This woman said this kind of thing goes on all around the country.

S

Slepsog4

Not everything mentioned in the Bible was commanded by God. Not even everything foretold was God's people doing God's will. Sometimes God simply foretold the inevitable outcome of a course that was being taken.

But even those things which God clearly commanded to be done that appear inconsistent must be seen in light of the fact that God is the giver of life and he can take it as well. God obviously used one nation to judge another at different times. God knows when a nation has reached the point of no return. He then cleanses the earth of them. When God used Israel in such a way it was never because Israel had some ethnic hatred of them. It was because God had judged them.

Jan 26, 2009
any one thinkin abortion is rite mhm i would say
lyk paul said
PROFESSING THEMSELVES TO BE WISE ,THEY HAVE BECOME FOOOLZ

P

pinkcandy

abortion is 1st degree murder as far as im concerned

P

pogrud

To tackle the issue of abortion I think it's important to first define a few ideas.

Firstly, how do we classify being alive? At what stage during the development does being 'alive' occur? At which point is a 'soul' created? Is it still murder to kill an unborn life? How would an unborn fetus be valued compared to a born human? Likewise, how is disabled life valued?

There are also some special cases that some (even pro-life supporters) may agree to abortion. This is true of certain branches of Christianity. In any case, these require further though:

A situation in which the pregnant lady and/or child are likely to die as a result of the birth.

The child is likely to be significantly physically and/or mentally disabled. I.e. Chernobyl or Hiroshima.

In the case where raped occured and the mother neither wants or is in a position to support the child. It may not be possible for that child to be brought up in an environment condusive to human rights. Who's responsibility is it to bring up the child? Is it ethical to bring life in to the world if there is a strong chance of the baby enduring severe suffering?

What do you think of Roe v Wade? What about the research of Levitt et al. in which it was found that instances which abortion was denied resulted in a higher probability of the child not being provided with a good home and hence a greater chance of turning to a criminal life.

C

Cobblepot

I would consider a baby to be "alive" in the womb when it's developed to the point that it could be "killed." If a fetus's heart is stopped in the process of aborting it, you're killing it.

Personally, I consider abortion to be more than an abstract theological issue. It's also a human rights issue.

Jan 31, 2009
Ex 21:22If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.Ex 21:23And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,Ex 21:24Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,Ex 21:25Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

no Mischief follow means no harm to the baby, but if there is mischief then a life for a life. no theres no where in the Bible about harming a baby!!!! come on plleeeaaasssseeeeeee

Jan 8, 2009
The issue is unjust killing. i.e. killing against God's will.

Sometimes God killed babies remember.

P

pogrud

I think Cobblepot has a valid point - it is more than an abstract theological issue and certainly a matter of human rights.

I also agree with MahogonySnail in saying the issue is unjust killing. The issue is how do we judge what is just.

I'd be really interested to hear what some of the more feverent pro-life supporters views are on the special circumstances which I highlighted in my previous post. It'd also be great to hear some other people's views on when life occurs and how we value 'unborn' life at different stages and that of a disabled life.

Status
Not open for further replies.