The Bible Verse By Verse Continued... Discussion Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
I'm intrigued by the functionality of the wheels.

Ezekiel 1

15 As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. 16 This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 17 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went. 18 Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around. 19 When the living creatures moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the living creatures rose from the ground, the wheels also rose. 20 Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, and the wheels would rise along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. 21 When the creatures moved, they also moved; when the creatures stood still, they also stood still; and when the creatures rose from the ground, the wheels rose along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels.

Something like this intersects & could go in 4 directions but not up & down.
The Ezekiel wheels seem to be like living things not merely mechanical

Sep 6, 2014
I'm intrigued by the functionality of the wheels.

Ezekiel 1

15 As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. 16 This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 17 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went. 18 Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around. 19 When the living creatures moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the living creatures rose from the ground, the wheels also rose. 20 Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, and the wheels would rise along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. 21 When the creatures moved, they also moved; when the creatures stood still, they also stood still; and when the creatures rose from the ground, the wheels rose along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels.

Something like this intersects & could go in 4 directions but not up & down.
The Ezekiel wheels seem to be like living things not merely mechanical

Thank you LP for your contribution here and the "food for thought" about the wheels in Ezekiel's vision.

I agree with the wheels being part of a living creature and not merely mechanical. Especially when we look at verse 18-21.
Eyes on the rims and spirit of the living creatures in the wheels.

"20 Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, and the wheels would rise along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels."

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Ezekiel is an exciting book. What has become one of my favourite Bible phrases happens in Ezekiel.
It's like a crescendo of all prophecy.

"Then they will know that I am the LORD."

I'm not sure how many times exactly that he says this. I've just had a look in several versions other than the ones I read frequently.
They all look to be in agreement.

"Then they will know" or "then you will know", "shall know", that I am The Lord (Adoni) or YHVH.
We are heading into these prophecies in the verse by verse thread very soon. Yehovah showing himself to Israel & to the gentile
nations so thoroughly that there will be no more room for doubting who he is.

I just looked the phrase up in the Hebrew via Blue Letter Bible: וְיָדְעוּ כִּֽי־אֲנִי יְהוָֽה׃ פ
To confirm that the divine name was used in the original.
יַהְוֶה proper name, of deity Yahweh, the proper name of the God of Israel — English The Lord

Ezekiel is full of Day of The Lord prophecies! We see a lot of first person references.

The Holy One IN Israel" (not just OF Israel as most other verses)
"My fury will show in my face"
"No longer will my holy name be profaned"
"I will display my greatness & holiness in the sight of many nations

"Then they will know that I am The Lord"

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Further to the above,
I don't think it's coincidental that The Lord says something very similar in Exodus 9:14
I noted this in my old NIV Bible which I use most of the time so I've looked up in other translations to see if the verse sounds
the same in others.

New International Version
or this time I will send the full force of my plagues against you and against your officials and your people, so you may know that there is no one like me in all the earth.

New Living Translation
If you don’t, I will send more plagues on you and your officials and your people. Then you will know that there is no one like me in all the earth.

English Standard Version
For this time I will send all my plagues on you yourself, and on your servants and your people, so that you may know that there is none like me in all the earth.

Berean Study Bible
Otherwise, I will send all My plagues against you and your officials and your people, so you may know that there is no one like Me in all the earth.

King James Bible
For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth.

New King James Version
for at this time I will send all My plagues to your very heart, and on your servants and on your people, that you may know that there is none like Me in all the earth.

New American Standard Bible
For this time I am going to send all My plagues on you and your servants and your people, so that you may know that there is no one like Me in all the earth.

Amplified Bible
For this time I will send all My plagues on you [in full force,] and on your servants and on your people, so that you may know [without any doubt] and acknowledge that there is no one like Me in all the earth.

Christian Standard Bible
For this time I am about to send all my plagues against you, your officials, and your people. Then you will know there is no one like me on the whole earth.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Because at this time I am sending my plague on your heart and upon your Servants and upon your people, so that you may know there is none like me in all the Earth.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
For at this present time do I send forth all my plagues into thine heart, and the heart of thy servants and of thy people; that thou mayest know that there is not another such as I in all the earth.

JPS Tanakh 1917
For I will this time send all My plagues upon thy person, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like Me in all the earth.

NET Bible
For this time I will send all my plagues on your very self and on your servants and your people, so that you may know that there is no one like me in all the earth.

New Revised Standard Version
For this time I will send all my plagues upon you yourself, and upon your officials, and upon your people, so that you may know that there is no one like me in all the earth.

Young's Literal Translation
for, at this time I am sending all My plagues unto thy heart, and on thy servants, and on thy people, so that thou knowest that there is none like Me in all the earth,

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
The surrounding verses for context:

13 Then the Lord said to Moses, ‘Get up early in the morning, confront Pharaoh and say to him, “This is what the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, says: let my people go, so that they may worship me,

14 or this time I will send the full force of my plagues against you and against your officials and your people, so you may know that there is no one like me in all the earth.

15 For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the earth.

16 But I have raised you up[a] for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.

[a]
  1. Exodus 9:16 Or have spared you

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
God was taking Israel out of Egypt but Pharaoh resisted him. In Ezekiel 37 we read this:

24 ‘“My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd. They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees. 25 They will live in the land I gave to my servant Jacob, the land where your ancestors lived. They and their children and their children’s children will live there for ever, and David my servant will be their prince for ever. 26 I will make a covenant of peace with them; it will be an everlasting covenant. I will establish them and increase their numbers, and I will put my sanctuary among them for ever. 27 My dwelling-place will be with them; I will be their God, and they will be my people. 28 Then the nations will know that I the Lord make Israel holy, when my sanctuary is among them for ever.”’

A greater Exodus!!

:oops: But I'm getting ahead of myself. :rolleyes: We have only just started chapter 5:censored: I just can't wait to get to.....

Sep 6, 2014

Thank you for your contributions here LP.
You have brought much to consider and much edification.

Psalm 46:10
Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!

Jeremiah 9:23-24
Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: 24But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

John 17:3
And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

1 John 5:20
And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
GracethroughfaithinChrist,

Thank you for fixing my omission at the end of Ezekiel 19. :cool:(y)

LoveinChrist

Sep 4, 2021
Are there any more useful websites on Ezekiel and the Bible in general that are reputable?
Thank you in advance.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
I'd like to discuss psalms 139:21-22

We are called to love our enemies. Please do not think me arguing or finding fault in His word. I'd just like some clarification, please.
One could look at the word like "To dislike greatly; to have a great aversion to. It expresses less than abhor, detest, and abominate, unless pronounced with a peculiar emphasis."

Maybe that might help.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Ezekiel 38:1 (NIV)

The word of the Lord came to me:
2 “Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of[a] Meshek and Tubal; prophesy against him

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Why, oh why, are you doing this? Anyone can buy an inexpensive Bible and save themselves the trouble of reading your verse-by-verse post. Remember, chapters and verses are not part of the Bible. they are nothing more than indexes to locate a particular location in Scripture. An in many cases they interrupt the flow of the author's narrative. The worst offenders are translations such as the King James that butcher the writing by making each verse a separate entity.

Again, why, oh why, are you doing this?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
jaybo said:
Why, oh why, are you doing this? Anyone can buy an inexpensive Bible and save themselves the trouble of reading your verse-by-verse post. Remember, chapters and verses are not part of the Bible. they are nothing more than indexes to locate a particular location in Scripture. An in many cases they interrupt the flow of the author's narrative. The worst offenders are translations such as the King James that butcher the writing by making each verse a separate entity.

Again, why, oh why, are you doing this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. Good question. Why are you doing this, @jaybo ?

Your theme in glory seems to be to denigrate the Bible.

Your signature suggests that this is your main battle cry.

The KJV is the instrument that God has used to draw many a man closer to Himself and His glorious truth. I am grateful and appreciative for this wonderful gift. Please reconsider your position.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017

Joel 3:17

Then you will know that I am the Lord your God,
Dwelling on Zion, My holy mountain.
So Jerusalem will be holy,
And strangers will no longer pass through it.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
There seems to be a big debate - did Jonah die or not - because of Matt 12:40 Jesus said as Jonah was 3 days / nights etc...- I have always understood that Jonah was always alive do you understand it the same?
Please use this thread to raise points of interest when going through The Bible Verse by Verse.
The other thread is simply to post The Bible as it is, verse by verse.

:)

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
BTW, Yes my belief is that Jonah was alive during his time inside the whale.
Although the Jonah story does contain prophetic foreshadowing, Jesus was using Jonah & the whale as a euphemism.