The Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Neverlandman

Jun 2, 2011
''The Bible is a window in this prison through which we look to eternity.''

O

OFM

did you meam prism that reflects light well nice statement amen.

S

StMichaelTheArchangel

Nice statement, however I would add that our own heart is a window into eternity. The Christian Fathers of old taught that the heart is an unfathomable abyss. Within it are contained Hell, Heaven, and the very place of God. We only have to enter within our hearts in order to discover that Kingdom of Heaven within, as Jesus Himself said, "The Kingdom of Heaven is Within You" (Luke 17:21). How do we do this? The surest and most effective way is by stilling our thoughts and the short repetitions of the name of Jesus. These repetitions should be said like this, "Lord Jesus Christ Have Mercy on Me", but a prayer rope should be used if your are new to this. Night time is very good for this; when everything is quiet and their are no lights, we can still our minds and enter the heart. Closing the eyes definitely helps too, we should have no images, whether these are in our minds or being seen by the eyes. This is very important because it is by mental and physical images that we fall into delusion.

This is the meaning of Jesus words "When you pray, enter into your closet". He of course did not mean a physical closet, he meant the closet of our heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

humblemark57

Christ Jesus said in His teaching on how to pray that the Almighty Father God knows already what is in our hearts; " Mat 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking." you Quote...These repetitions should be said like this, "Lord Jesus Christ Have Mercy on Me" end quote

It seems you're own words did condemn you....quote""If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing."end quote

As Christ Jesus said; "Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."

S

StMichaelTheArchangel

Christ Jesus said in His teaching on how to pray that the Almighty Father God knows already what is in our hearts; " Mat 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking." you Quote...These repetitions should be said like this, "Lord Jesus Christ Have Mercy on Me" end quote

It seems you're own words did condemn you....quote""If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing."end quote

As Christ Jesus said; "Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."

You don't really understand. This prayer (the Jesus Prayer) that I showed you has been practiced by the Christians since the 2nd century. The earliest form was just a simple naming of Jesus on their lips. Read the story of St Ignatius the God-Bearer, and you will see a clear example of this. "This holy man is called ``the God-bearer'' because he constantly bore the name of the Living God in his heart and on his lips. "

Link

St. Paul said, "The teaching which accords with godliness", that is simply what I was saying. This is a Christian teaching which accords perfectly with godliness, it is a part of holy Christian tradition (2 Thess 2:15).

If it is a "vain repetition" as you claim, then the Lord's Prayer is a vain repetition, as well as the blind beggar who repeatedly cried to Jesus, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” (Luke 18:38), and the Publican who could not so much as lift up his eyes to heaven, but smote upon his breast saying, "God be merciful to me a sinner!" (Luke 18:13).
Not only do these verses support repetitive prayer, they also support the use of the Jesus Prayer.

When Jesus spoke about prayer, he did not condemn repetitions but vain repetitions. He meant us not to say the repeated prayers without any real meaning or purpose, to babble like a pagan idolater. He was not at all condemning repeated prayer, only prayer that is futile - empty, vain, and without any spiritual fruits.

You are mistaken on the meaning of Christ's words.

"Let everyone that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity" (2 Timothy 2:19). Another clue to the use of the Jesus Prayer. The name of Jesus is sharper than any 2 edged sword.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

StMichaelTheArchangel

That link is not an accurate account like this one is. Here is what it says,

http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsLife.asp?FSID=103594

"After this the lions were released and tore him to pieces, leaving only his heart and a few bones. Tradition says that on his way to execution, St Ignatius unceasingly repeated the name of Jesus Christ. When they asked him why he was doing this, St Ignatius answered that this Name was written in his heart, and that he confessed with his lips Him Whom he always carried within. When the saint was devoured by the lions, his heart was not touched. When they cut open the heart, the pagans saw an inscription in gold letters: "Jesus Christ." After his execution St Ignatius appeared to many of the faithful in their sleep to comfort them, and some saw him at prayer for the city of Rome. "

J

jkalyna

:p
did you meam prism that reflects light well nice statement amen.
:DYOUR FUN OFM BUT I HOPE I'M NOT IN A PRISON, WHOM THE SON SETS FREE IS FREE INDEED.:rolleyes:

O

OFM

YOUR TOTALLY FREE IN OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST LORD AND SAVIOR FULLY ALL THE WAY ALLWAYS AT ALL TIMES ALL THE TIME,THANX 4 SHARING,BEE BLESSED ALLWAYS....

H

humblemark57

You don't really understand. This prayer (the Jesus Prayer) that I showed you has been practiced by the Christians since the 2nd century. The earliest form was just a simple naming of Jesus on their lips. Read the story of St Ignatius the God-Bearer, and you will see a clear example of this. "This holy man is called ``the God-bearer'' because he constantly bore the name of the Living God in his heart and on his lips. "

Link

St. Paul said, "The teaching which accords with godliness", that is simply what I was saying. This is a Christian teaching which accords perfectly with godliness, it is a part of holy Christian tradition (2 Thess 2:15).

If it is a "vain repetition" as you claim, then the Lord's Prayer is a vain repetition, as well as the blind beggar who repeatedly cried to Jesus, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” (Luke 18:38), and the Publican who could not so much as lift up his eyes to heaven, but smote upon his breast saying, "God be merciful to me a sinner!" (Luke 18:13).
Not only do these verses support repetitive prayer, they also support the use of the Jesus Prayer.

When Jesus spoke about prayer, he did not condemn repetitions but vain repetitions. He meant us not to say the repeated prayers without any real meaning or purpose, to babble like a pagan idolater. He was not at all condemning repeated prayer, only prayer that is futile - empty, vain, and without any spiritual fruits.

You are mistaken on the meaning of Christ's words.

"Let everyone that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity" (2 Timothy 2:19). Another clue to the use of the Jesus Prayer. The name of Jesus is sharper than any 2 edged sword.

>>Again Lord Jesus said; "Mat 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. "

Your example and reasoning is more in your own philosophical way and understanding. If we examine the scriptures, Lord Jesus is telling us that He knows what is in our hearts and we do not need to keep repeating a words just to be heard of. Your example like the way Lord Jesus told us on how pray; that is not a "vain repetitions". What Lord Jesus wanted us to know is the aim of the pray and not necessarily pray the same words as given. But we have to model our pray as He teaches us. Same as the beggar as shouted Christ Jesus name. The beggar is only persistent to call the Lord without reservation. This beggar has shown us on how to persevere as we know he is so desperately in need of God's attention because the Lord Jesus Christ is present at that time. Praying to God right now is different from such situation. "Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. " Now did you copy the word "after this manner" Lord Jesus Christ did say that we pray these verses. But what He wanted us to pattern or model our prayer which means.
1. We have to give glory to God acknowledging He alone owns all the glory "Which art in heaven...Holy be Thy Name".. Praising God
2. We have to acknowledged that He is an Almighty God "Your Kingdom come..Your ..." Submission
3. We have ask His grace and mercies and admit He owns everything ."Give us this day.." petition
4. We have to ask forgiveness for our short coming " And forgive us..." to humble ourselves
5. We have to ask protection, guidance and comfort " And lead us not...Deliverance

Now tell me that Lord Jesus Christ Teaching is consider as an example of vain repetitions? As you're just claimed..

O

OFM

i agree with the pray but wait what you just totally lost me on this maybe post this in the bible forum where i feel and believe that it really belongs,this is not a good poem.b blessed allways amen.