The Car thread

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Some road trip movies

Crossroads
Driving Miss Daisy
Thelma and Louise
RV
Goodbye, Pork Pie
The adventures of Priscilla , Queen of the Desert
Little Miss Sunshine
Nomadland
Flywheel



Some books

On the Road - Jack Kerouac
Let's Go For a Drive - Mo Willems
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus - Mo Willems
Sisters - Raina Telgemeir
Diary of a Wimpy Kid - The Long Haul
Babysitters Club Super Special #14 BSC in the USA
 
  • Like
Reactions: zeroturbulence
Gas price has skyrocketed - it's now over $3 a litre in NZ.
Anyone else feeling the crunch? Thankfully I don't have a long work commute, being out of work, but even then when I did work, I always chose work that was local.

The EV buyers are now glad their investment is paying off.
However we all knew it was coming. Can't frack forever. But it's mostly because of the wars. Traveling by air is going to become super expensive. Especially if living in an isolated island at the end of the world like...I don't know...New Zealand?
 
Not sure why I shared Ms Tracy Chapman twice but its a fave song of mine.
Now I have to figure out how to actually play the radio in the car. I'm stuck with CDs.
I don't think you should drive.
I already drive a car.....do you have a problem with that? :rolleyes:
 
One of my cousins drives a Subaru as her company car. Not sure what model, but its big and got all the tech. Might be an Outback.

My gardening boss drove Isuzu ute but I don't see them around much these days.

Now a lot of company cars are full EVs, or PHEVs but they have to provide charging bays for them at the worksite. The fleet I've seen at the hospital is all Hyundai Ioniqs.

Korean cars are really coming into their own, but the Chinese are building their EVs from scratch now (I mean, not converting ICEs to EVs) thus they are lighter and the design is more responsive. And possibly cheaper thanks to mass production.

Still Japanese imports are tops in NZ.

In terms of luxury...BMW is pretty hard to beat. Mercedes, Audi...I'm not that keen on.
Or Tesla. Something about their door handles doesn't make sense to me.
 
So Sculpt, how would I get to work if I don't drive my car? Should I...fly? Ride my bike up those steep hills in the rain? Catch the bus and be late, and not be able to get anywhere not on a bus route? Call an uber all the time? Teleport myself? Walk 500 miles?
 
I used to have a summer job working for an architects firm and the company car I got to drive almost everyday was a BMW 318i. That car was an absolute dream to drive.
What did you like about this car?
My brother used to have a BMW. He sold it to my Aunty and then she crashed it.
Now he's got a Mercedes.

It has these seats that hug you as you go around curves. But it can only seat 4, the middle bay at the back is taken up by a console, or maybe the engine is underneath IDK.
 
  • Like
Reactions: zeroturbulence
What did you like about this car?
My brother used to have a BMW. He sold it to my Aunty and then she crashed it.
Now he's got a Mercedes.

It has these seats that hug you as you go around curves. But it can only seat 4, the middle bay at the back is taken up by a console, or maybe the engine is underneath IDK.
It handled really nice around curves, felt like it gripped the road,and the shifting was smooth. Also very comfortable and supportive seats so you're not sliding around or leaning when the car turns. It also looked really nice too. It was a real 'yuppy' mobile. Looked just like this one:

1790747085615.png

The hump in the back is for the transaxle (the part of the transmission that turns the rear wheels).
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lanolin
It handled really nice around curves, felt like it gripped the road,and the shifting was smooth. Also very comfortable and supportive seats so you're not sliding around or leaning when the car turns. It also looked really nice too. It was a real 'yuppy' mobile. Looked just like this one:

View attachment 296580

The hump in the back is for the transaxle (the part of the transmission that turns the rear wheels).
Wow I never seen a RED BMW before, I've only seen them in black or navy or grey.
Yes I can imagine its a smooth ride.

I drive more of a go-kart type car and it sways in the wind. lol basically a box on wheels. I need the space and headroom. The suspension is a bit better than my old Toyota Funcargo in my newer Suzuki Solio. Also it has the automatic braking (I think its called?) -stops the engine idling when come to a stop at the lights.

I had a red Mitubishi coupe mirage (2 door) that had a spoiler and that was smoother but I didn't race around in it, and there were a few problems with it for me, the red colour faded after a while its just the NZ sun can be quite harsh so I don't think I could buy a red car again. They look great when new though!
 
  • Heart
Reactions: zeroturbulence