The Chosen

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 17, 2022
I have seen the first few episodes of "The Chosen". Recently, I was confronted by some church members that recommended I not watch it. They said it is close to "creating an image" and by watching it, we put Jesus in a box, because the show would never capture what he was like and would do a huge injustice just by trying.

Anyone have any thoughts on it? I know I've heard some preachers have spoken out against it (not sure who) Curious to see what you all think.
Thanks in advance!

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I have seen the first few episodes of "The Chosen". Recently, I was confronted by some church members that recommended I not watch it. They said it is close to "creating an image" and by watching it, we put Jesus in a box, because the show would never capture what he was like and would do a huge injustice just by trying.

Anyone have any thoughts on it? I know I've heard some preachers have spoken out against it (not sure who) Curious to see what you all think.
Thanks in advance!
I've watched some of it and enjoyed the show. I do think it is important to know that for the sake of a show some things are fabricated and you should read the accounts for yourself.
As far as creating an image I think as long as you know we have no record of what Jesus looked like and the person playing His part is merely an actor, and as long as you have no intention of worshipping him, you are safe on that account.
One thing I did enjoy was just seeing the life and times of that period. Never having been to that part of the world, biblical stories are confined more to my imagination than reality so in this way I was blessed.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
This is a wonderful series and I can’t wait for the new season to come out on the app.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021

Thanks in advance!
It's an inaccurate portrayal of Jesus...

Jesus is fully man but fully God...even at age 12 He knew precisely who He was...apparently He knew his entire life and had access to omniscience....He didn't exactly receive advise....

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

Jesus is fully man but fully God...even at age 12 He knew precisely who He was...apparently He knew his entire life and had access to omniscience....He didn't exactly receive advise....
Jesus had a sage advisor in the show? Like, an Obi-Wan for Jesus' Luke?

Nov 17, 2022

I guess I haven’t seen that part

swatfrog

Nov 19, 2022

Thanks in advance!
No show is going to be an accurate portrayal in a world that hates God ,open the bible read it for yourself read the gospels,He said if you draw nigh to Him He will draw nigh unto you, also says that He sticketh closer than a brother,that is to say...Hes closer than you think,seek and ye shall find

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I don't watch it, mainly because the producers of the show are professional Christians, using Jesus as a way to acquire wealth.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
I've watched some of it and enjoyed the show. I do think it is important to know that for the sake of a show some things are fabricated and you should read the accounts for yourself.
As far as creating an image I think as long as you know we have no record of what Jesus looked like and the person playing His part is merely an actor, and as long as you have no intention of worshipping him, you are safe on that account.
One thing I did enjoy was just seeing the life and times of that period. Never having been to that part of the world, biblical stories are confined more to my imagination than reality so in this way I was blessed.
Good morning :D

So, you think that people would confuse an actor with God eh?
Also since we are in this topic, what do you think of icons in catholic and orthodox churches?
Do you think they are worshipping a piece of wood or porcelain?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Good morning :D

So, you think that people would confuse an actor with God eh?
Also since we are in this topic, what do you think of icons in catholic and orthodox churches?
Do you think they are worshipping a piece of wood or porcelain?
Good morning brother
Honestly, I'm not sure what individual people might do. And I believe worship to be an individual thing, so in any congregation, there can be, as in the case of Cain and Abel, worshippers side by side and one be accepted and one not.
I am actually for symbols that remind Christians of spiritual reality and find them helpful. The problem I find is that if they aren't changed regularly they tend to lose their usefulness and don't reflect a growth in an individual that would necessitate newer symbols. But that may just be me.
I was raised in the Catholic church and I do know that much of the symbolism is largely unknown to the congregation. But I have no way of knowing to whom. So to make a blanket statement about such things is something I would be loathe to do. If you find something to enhance your worship then by all means employ it.
I would be remiss if I didn't offer one last thing. As believers, we have the Holy Spirit within us. As I mature, I find my need of symbols being replaced by that which it symbolizes. What once was helpful is no longer necessary as Christ living in me becomes more evident. And while I never want to do anything that will lessen worship for anyone, neither would I desire them to be ignorant of a far more desirable worship done in spirit and in truth.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Ok. Couple points about this show.
I have seen all of both seasons.
So far, I have found it to be the best depiction of Jesus and His Ministry ever put on camera.

They do an excellent job of portraying Jesus in INDIVIDUAL relationships with people, one at a time.

The synchronicity of several episodes, as it relates to divine appointments, is nothing short of spectacular. Especially the episode where Simon the zealot is called.
I haven’t seen anything that can be construed as heretical. I also really like (surprisingly) that they interpreted the Matthew character to be on the autism spectrum.

A couple of caveats:
Most of these shows that depict the life of Christ, usually fall apart with how they handle Judas. We were just introduced to him at the end of season 2. We’ll see what they do with him.

Probably the most unnerving thing about the show is not the episodes themselves, but the very close relationship between the creator, Dallas Jenkins, and the Mormon producers of the show. I have seen interviews with Jenkins where he unequivocally says that Mormons are our brothers in Christ. Not good.

Lastly, the actor portraying Jesus, is a hardcore Catholic, that can be seen on YouTube earnestly praying the rosary.

Look, bottom line is that human beings are broken and sinful, and will make mistakes.

Martin Luther was a rabid anti semite. We know the problems with Ravi Zecharias, and the list goes on.

So I would recommend it, but just be aware of these things going into the deal. And always be a good Berean.

Nov 26, 2021
India
It's a Wonderful Series and I recommend it wholeheartedly. I wept as I watched several scenes, including Jesus' Miracle of the Fish overwhelming the Net and the Heart of the Gospel being presented before the whole world in Jesus Christ's conversation with Nicodemus which is recorded in Gospel of John Chapter 3.

Judge for yourself - the Miracle:

Jesus Christ explains the Gospel:

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
What is portrayed in The Chosen isn't a depiction of Jesus, His apostles, or His ministry; it's a fictionalized version. It's artistic license taken to the extreme. The Jesus portrayed in The Chosen is a false Jesus.

When you learn who is involved behind the scenes it's clear it's a gigantic ecumenical extravaganza. This won't matter to ecumenists though, they love it.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Philippians 1:18...What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretense, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice...

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
It's a Wonderful Series and I recommend it wholeheartedly. I wept as I watched several scenes, including Jesus' Miracle of the Fish overwhelming the Net and the Heart of the Gospel being presented before the whole world in Jesus Christ's conversation with Nicodemus which is recorded in Gospel of John Chapter 3.

Judge for yourself - the Miracle:

This catching of fish happens in the last chapter of John but in the movie it is at
the beginning of Jesus' ministry when he calls the disciples to follow Him?
It is unfortunate that such movie/series makers feel such a great
need to alter what was written to such an extreme degree.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Philippians 1:18...What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretense, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice...
You're assuming the Jesus in The Chosen is the true Jesus. When Paul said this, he wasn't talking about a false Christ. He's talking about people who preached the true Jesus but from selfish motives, trying to one-up Paul. Do you really think Paul would rejoice over people preaching a false Jesus?

"Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill: The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains; but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice." Philippians 1:15-18

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
You're assuming the Jesus in The Chosen is the true Jesus. When Paul said this, he wasn't talking about a false Christ. He's talking about people who preached the true Jesus but from selfish motives, trying to one-up Paul. Do you really think Paul would rejoice over people preaching a false Jesus?

"Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill: The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains; but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice." Philippians 1:15-18
I appreciate your response and perspective but what I see in those verses is a false Christ being preached.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
LOL, okay. Paul rejoiced over another Jesus being preached. Appreciate your response.
What sort of Christ do you suppose is preached from selfish ambition, , insincerity, , and intentional harm??
Sounds to me like the very people you have been describing.

Nov 26, 2021
India
This catching of fish happens in the last chapter of John but in the movie it is at
the beginning of Jesus' ministry when he calls the disciples to follow Him?
It is unfortunate that such movie/series makers feel such a great
need to alter what was written to such an extreme degree.
True, John 21 records a similar incident. But how do you think St. John immediately said: "it is the Lord" when the Lord did that Miracle? Because this was a Trademark Miracle of Our Lord Jesus. He had done it before.

Please consult Luke 5:

"4When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, “Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.”

5But Simon answered and said to Him, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.” 6And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking. 7So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. 8When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!”

God Bless.