The Christian Chat Layout is really boring

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
Is anyone else bored of the CC visual style, or worse, gets a headache from the blinding white backgrounds? I created a new theme for CC to be used on Firefox and Chrome through the light-weight Stylish plugin. I will eventually make it fully compatible for Chrome, but right now I don't have the time. Firefox is the superior browser anyway :p.

Here is a screenshot of the new theme:

HomeTopLow.gif

More screenshots can be found here.

There are a few issues I am working out. One of them is that user profile customizations are covered up by the new style. I'm sure there is an easy fix for this, I just haven't found it yet. Link colors are also difficult to differentiate from original text color, and I will work on a fix for this as well. Other than that, there are some incomplete areas that I just need to add the new style to and I will finish those and update it shortly. Unfortunately, this theme will only work for the forums and not the chat rooms.

If anyone else would like to use this theme, you can get the Firefox plugin here. And the Chrome plugin here. If you use this theme for Chrome, most of it is broken and will just use CCs original style.

Once you have the plugin installed, go here to install the theme. The change should be instant and you can enjoy a new headache free theme for CC. To remove the theme, simply go to your plugin options and click disable and it will revert to CCs original look.

I may eventually make a few more styles for diversity's sake. If I do, I will add screenshots and links in this thread.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Is anyone else bored of the CC visual style, or worse, gets a headache from the blinding white backgrounds? I created a new theme for CC to be used on Firefox and Chrome through the light-weight Stylish plugin. I will eventually make it fully compatible for Chrome, but right now I don't have the time. Firefox is the superior browser anyway :p.

Here is a screenshot of the new theme:

View attachment 84367

More screenshots can be found here.

There are a few issues I am working out. One of them is that user profile customizations are covered up by the new style. I'm sure there is an easy fix for this, I just haven't found it yet. Link colors are also difficult to differentiate from original text color, and I will work on a fix for this as well. Other than that, there are some incomplete areas that I just need to add the new style to and I will finish those and update it shortly. Unfortunately, this theme will only work for the forums and not the chat rooms.

If anyone else would like to use this theme, you can get the Firefox plugin here. And the Chrome plugin here. If you use this theme for Chrome, most of it is broken and will just use CCs original style.

Once you have the plugin installed, go here to install the theme. The change should be instant and you can enjoy a new headache free theme for CC. To remove the theme, simply go to your plugin options and click disable and it will revert to CCs original look.

I may eventually make a few more styles for diversity's sake. If I do, I will add screenshots and links in this thread.
​Will it work for those of us on here who use the Opera browser? Firefox, Chrome, and IE all crash on here. Opera does'nt. :)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
No thanks. I do not plan on staying on CC anyway. The screen you created looks depressing.

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
​Will it work for those of us on here who use the Opera browser? Firefox, Chrome, and IE all crash on here. Opera does'nt. :)
It might. I have only tested it with the Stylish plugin which is only available for Chrome and Firefox. If you can find a similar plugin for Opera, let me know what it is and I will test it out :)

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
There actually is a Stylish plugin for Opera. I will test it and see how it does with this theme.

F

FireHeart

Thats funny I just made a thread in the suggestion forum about this. Will it work for internet explorer?

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
Thats funny I just made a thread in the suggestion forum about this. Will it work for internet explorer?
Unfortunately, no it won't. IE doesn't even seem to have a plugin of this sort. You can put in your own custom style sheets in IE accessibility options somewhere, but they are not site specific, meaning it will affect every site you visit other than CC (most probably in a negative way). But there could be a workaround. If you want the CSS I used in order to try it out, it is available from the theme link above. Just click on "View CSS" on the install page and copy and paste it to the appropriate area in your IE options to test it out.

I would recommend using Firefox though, as it is a much more efficient browser in most cases.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Not sure why you would say firefox is better, but it is a good theme.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
There are many things to consider........yes - stylish lay outs may please younger members.......however.........having visited sites using them........and testing them myself.......I found them very difficult to read and navigate.........may just be me, but have heard others with the same concerns........

Another thought is.........should the appearance of CC be the REASON one is a member of CC? Let me put it this way.......the Holy Bible is usually fairly plain in it's appearance...............but IT'S WHAT'S INSIDE THAT COUNTS.........

Hope that makes sense

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
There are many things to consider........yes - stylish lay outs may please younger members.......however.........having visited sites using them........and testing them myself.......I found them very difficult to read and navigate.........may just be me, but have heard others with the same concerns........

Another thought is.........should the appearance of CC be the REASON one is a member of CC? Let me put it this way.......the Holy Bible is usually fairly plain in it's appearance...............but IT'S WHAT'S INSIDE THAT COUNTS.........

Hope that makes sense
Hi. This actually makes navigation much easier for me as well as being able to read. I am usually here for long periods and the bright white starts to get to me and give me headaches. Pretty much the only reason I made this.

I highly doubt anyone will be here for the appearance one way or another. I don't think there is any harm in customizing the user experience to make the website more accessible and comfortable. I do agree that it's what's inside that counts.

Thanks for your reply :)

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
I updated the code to work on Chrome and Opera.

1still_waters

I think the concept behind the minimalistic aka "boring" layout is so focus is on the content, and not so much on the non-content unnecessary aesthetics.

Facebook pretty much defeated Myspace with two colors. white/blue-purple.
Hence the major transition from cluttery image and color content on websites, to the simplistic formats most have now.

I prefer the even more simplistic days of text based HTML pages.

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
I think the concept behind the minimalistic aka "boring" layout is so focus is on the content, and not so much on the non-content unnecessary aesthetics.

Facebook pretty much defeated Myspace with two colors. white/blue-purple.
Hence the major transition from cluttery image and color content on websites, to the simplistic formats most have now.

I prefer the even more simplistic days of text based HTML pages.
I see your point and I can agree somewhat. I don't think this actually takes away from the content though. Old school web sites that tried to be too fancy with annoying flashing animations and high contrast flashing ads everywhere did tend to make websites less accessible and harder to navigate, while the more plain text and white background sites were much more accessible. This doesn't really take away from the structure or alter the functionality of the website IMO, and for me personally makes it much easier for me to read without straining my eyes.