The Christian walk.

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gideon300

Ancient Mariner
Mar 18, 2021
9,880
7,545
113
Frankston, Victoria
christianlife.au
Now that I've said my bit about law and grace, it is time to address the issue of sin. Legalists like to pounce on anyone who tries to show that Christians are no longer under the law. Ah, they say, you saying that Christians can live a sinful life without consequences. I've never said that, but the SDA and their ilk like to accuse me anyway. I do not follow a particular "ism". I try to stay on God's word. I am not infallible, so I must back up everything I say with the Word of God.

Some Christians have a really twisted attitude to sin. They think that Christians want to sin and must be bullied, browbeaten and threatened into giving up a sinful life. Well, that's how they see themselves, I suppose. Not everyone is like them.

To be born again is to receive a new nature that is of Christ and therefore not sinful. However, we have the natural life in the soul that we received from Adam. He was created a spirit being, who had a soul and inhabited a body. His natural life was neither good or evil, neither inclined toward God nor hostile to God.

When Adam fell, he died - according to God's word. His death was spiritual, not of the soul or the spirit. However, his natural life became corrupted by his sin and so separated from God. The terrible decline of the human race is recounted in Romans 1.

Jesus came preaching the gospel of God's kingdom. We read what that is in Luke 4:18 & 19

“The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.”…

Hebrews 11:25 says that there is "fleeting pleasure" in sin. The world seeks such pleasures because they know nothing better. Believers realise that sin is a blight, not a blessing. That realisation, even if it is only seeing the consequences of sin, is a tremendous change of heart that only God can bring about.

Note what Lord Jesus had to say about the gospel. It is all about deliverance. Liberty, sight to the blind, release of the oppressed and the restoration of God's blessing lost through Adam's disobedience.

So no, being born again is not a licence to sin. It is the opposite, a hatred of sin that baffles unbelievers. I was saved in the military. My colleagues saw a transformation. I no longer frequented the bars and and got regularly drunk. I once was invited to a show where I saw things that I've never shared with anyone. I never fell for that trap again. I did not regale my colleagues with how sinful they were and they must turn or burn. But one of them told me that I was the happiest man he'd ever met.

Christianity is not a set of rules to follow. It is new life to be lived.
"She will give birth to a Son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21

Note well: The angel did not say, "Save His people from the penalty of their sins". No, true salvation is being set free from the power of sin over our lives.

Now it is obvious that Christians are not instantly perfect. We stumble in many ways. As we grow in grace and the knowledge of the truth, much that once bound us evaporates. Some sinful attitudes take a long time, in part because we do not realise those things that are sin. Who would think that a sport could be sin? Well it was - for me. I had to quit competitive table tennis. I would not tell others not to play sport. It's between them and God. But for me, I had to quit.

So how do we deal with the sinful impulses of the natural life that we inherited from Adam and the nagging lusts of the flesh that demand gratification? I will cover that in another post.
 
Now that I've said my bit about law and grace, it is time to address the issue of sin. Legalists like to pounce on anyone who tries to show that Christians are no longer under the law. Ah, they say, you saying that Christians can live a sinful life without consequences. I've never said that, but the SDA and their ilk like to accuse me anyway. I do not follow a particular "ism". I try to stay on God's word. I am not infallible, so I must back up everything I say with the Word of God.

Some Christians have a really twisted attitude to sin. They think that Christians want to sin and must be bullied, browbeaten and threatened into giving up a sinful life. Well, that's how they see themselves, I suppose. Not everyone is like them.

To be born again is to receive a new nature that is of Christ and therefore not sinful. However, we have the natural life in the soul that we received from Adam. He was created a spirit being, who had a soul and inhabited a body. His natural life was neither good or evil, neither inclined toward God nor hostile to God.

When Adam fell, he died - according to God's word. His death was spiritual, not of the soul or the spirit. However, his natural life became corrupted by his sin and so separated from God. The terrible decline of the human race is recounted in Romans 1.

Jesus came preaching the gospel of God's kingdom. We read what that is in Luke 4:18 & 19

“The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.”…

Hebrews 11:25 says that there is "fleeting pleasure" in sin. The world seeks such pleasures because they know nothing better. Believers realise that sin is a blight, not a blessing. That realisation, even if it is only seeing the consequences of sin, is a tremendous change of heart that only God can bring about.

Note what Lord Jesus had to say about the gospel. It is all about deliverance. Liberty, sight to the blind, release of the oppressed and the restoration of God's blessing lost through Adam's disobedience.

So no, being born again is not a licence to sin. It is the opposite, a hatred of sin that baffles unbelievers. I was saved in the military. My colleagues saw a transformation. I no longer frequented the bars and and got regularly drunk. I once was invited to a show where I saw things that I've never shared with anyone. I never fell for that trap again. I did not regale my colleagues with how sinful they were and they must turn or burn. But one of them told me that I was the happiest man he'd ever met.

Christianity is not a set of rules to follow. It is new life to be lived.
"She will give birth to a Son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21

Note well: The angel did not say, "Save His people from the penalty of their sins". No, true salvation is being set free from the power of sin over our lives.

Now it is obvious that Christians are not instantly perfect. We stumble in many ways. As we grow in grace and the knowledge of the truth, much that once bound us evaporates. Some sinful attitudes take a long time, in part because we do not realise those things that are sin. Who would think that a sport could be sin? Well it was - for me. I had to quit competitive table tennis. I would not tell others not to play sport. It's between them and God. But for me, I had to quit.

So how do we deal with the sinful impulses of the natural life that we inherited from Adam and the nagging lusts of the flesh that demand gratification? I will cover that in another post.

I agree that Christianity is not a set of rules to follow, but I think both-and logic should be applied to Matt. 1:21,
"She will give birth to a Son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.”

Believers are set free from both the power and the penalty of sin.
 
I agree that Christianity is not a set of rules to follow, but I think both-and logic should be applied to Matt. 1:21,
"She will give birth to a Son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.”

Believers are set free from both the power and the penalty of sin.
Not only are believers set free from the power and penalty of sin, but also can be set free from the presence of sin. 1 Jn 1:7.
 
Not only are believers set free from the power and penalty of sin, but also can be set free from the presence of sin. 1 Jn 1:7.

Well, monks try to be isolated from sin, but we in the world will not be rid of sin until we go to heaven (1Cor. 5:9-10, Phil. 3:12&20).
 
If we are still sinning are we really "set free" from sin?

The issue I see is not allowing God to define sin. When we say we don't need a set of rules, we are saying we do not need God to define sin, but instead depend on our own values and what we deem as righteousness (right- doing) which we are plainly told not to depend on. Isa 64:6

Sin is breaking the law of God. Any of the Ten Commandments- His version what God Himself wrote and spoke and is under His mercy seat. Exo20:1-17 Exo25:21 Rev11:19

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law
James 2:11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law

The law cannot save us, it just points out our sins. We are not saved in our sins Heb10:26-30 we are saved from sin Mat1:21 so the law is like a mirror James1:22-25 to show us our true condition, so we can see our sins and seek Jesus the Great Physician to heal us form our sins. But that does not mean continuing in the same sins, it means a sorry heart, change of mind and a new direction i.e. being a new creation in Christ. Jesus has us every step of this process, the bigger issue is not allowing God to be God to define His own commandments Exo20:6 Exo31:18 His standard of righteousness Psa119:172 Isa56:1-2 and what is sin. 1John3:4 James 2:10-11 Mat5:19-30

Sadly what most have done is gotten rid of the mirror (the law) so all we do is cover our sins and not a good spot to be in once Jesus comes.


Pro 28:13 13 He who covers his sins will not prosper,
But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.

Exo20:6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
Rev14:12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.
 
  • Like
Reactions: vassal
Well, monks try to be isolated from sin, but we in the world will not be rid of sin until we go to heaven (1Cor. 5:9-10, Phil. 3:12&20).
We have only in this life to be rid of sin. We cannot enter heaven with sin. Death does not rid us from sin , death is an enemy.
1 Jn 1:7 says the blood of Christ cleanses us from ALL sin. Without holiness no man shall see the Lord. We are delivered from sin in this life or not at all!
 
We have only in this life to be rid of sin. We cannot enter heaven with sin. Death does not rid us from sin , death is an enemy.
1 Jn 1:7 says the blood of Christ cleanses us from ALL sin. Without holiness no man shall see the Lord. We are delivered from sin in this life or not at all!

When we die, we are rid of sin, and when we go to heaven, we will "be set free from the presence of sin".
Thus, to die is gain (Phil. 1:21).
1John 1:7 means we are forgiven all sins when we confess known sins per 1John 1:8-9.
Do not proof-text!
God views/counts/reckons/deems faith in Christ's atonement as sharing His righteousness positionally (Rom. 3:21-5:1),
but actual/practical/perfect moral righteousness will not be attained in this life (Phil. 3:12).
 
The idea we can't overcome in this lifetime is sadly a deception. Its the devil who wants us to believe we can't overcome sin that he has more power to keep us in sin than Jesus does to save us from our sins.

The Bible shows that God has a people who overcomes.

Rev14:12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 2:7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.” ’

Rev 2:11 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”

Rev 2:17 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.”

Rev 2:26 And he who overcomes, and keeps My works (Exo32:16) until the end, to him I will give power over the nations— ’

Rev 3:5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

Rev 3:12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.

Rev 3:21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

God has a people who overcomes before He comes back

Rev 22:14Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.
 
  • Love
Reactions: vassal
The idea we can't overcome in this lifetime is sadly a deception. Its the devil who wants us to believe we can't overcome sin that he has more power to keep us in sin than Jesus does to save us from our sins.

The Bible shows that God has a people who overcomes.

Rev14:12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 2:7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.” ’

Rev 2:11 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”

Rev 2:17 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.”

Rev 2:26 And he who overcomes, and keeps My works (Exo32:16) until the end, to him I will give power over the nations— ’

Rev 3:5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

Rev 3:12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.

Rev 3:21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

God has a people who overcomes before He comes back

Rev 22:14Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

SabbathRest (Heb. 4:9-10), You will be blessed by discerning between justification or overcoming sin via spiritual union with the righteousness of Christ at the moment of repentance/saving faith (Rom. 3:31-5:1),
and overcoming sin via cooperating better with the HS as we learn more of GW during the process of moral sanctification (Phil. 3:12-16, Eph. 4:11-13, Heb. 4:11-16).
 
  • Like
Reactions: pinebeach
SabbathRest (Heb. 4:9-10), You will be blessed by discerning between justification or overcoming sin via spiritual union with the righteousness of Christ at the moment of repentance/saving faith (Rom. 3:31-5:1),
and overcoming sin via cooperating better with the HS as we learn more of GW during the process of moral sanctification (Phil. 3:12-16, Eph. 4:11-13, Heb. 4:11-16).
That's right the Sabbath rest remains for the people of God. The Sabbath rest is according to the commandment Luke23:56 because Jesus who is God promised not a jot or tittle can pass from His laws. Mat5:18-30 Why those who enter His rest ALSO rest from their works Heb4:10 as God did on the seventh day. Heb4:4 Exo20:11 Gen 2:1-3. This idea that God wants us to work 7 days a week and profane the holy day of the LORD Isa56:2 Isa58:13 instead of remembering it to keep it holy Exo20:8-11 resting with God, is sadly is a doctrine of deception.

Its the same issue of rebellion Eze20:13 Heb3:7-19 who left out an entire generation out of their promised rest, the land full of milk and honey Eze20:15-16 why we are told in the NT not to follow in the same example of disobedience Heb4:11 but many have the same issue a harden heart Heb3:7-19 not subjecting themselves to the law of God Rom8:7-8 but God has a people who keep them Rev14:12 the question we will all need to ask is do we follow in the same path of rebellion and disobedience or do we allow God to instruct us on His righteousness Isa56:1-2 Psa119:172 which is everlasting Psa 119:142 the foundation of His throne Psa89:14- live is about choices and once He returns our choices will be sealed Rev22:11
 
Now that I've said my bit about law and grace, it is time to address the issue of sin. Legalists like to pounce on anyone who tries to show that Christians are no longer under the law. Ah, they say, you saying that Christians can live a sinful life without consequences. I've never said that, but the SDA and their ilk like to accuse me anyway. I do not follow a particular "ism". I try to stay on God's word. I am not infallible, so I must back up everything I say with the Word of God.

Some Christians have a really twisted attitude to sin. They think that Christians want to sin and must be bullied, browbeaten and threatened into giving up a sinful life. Well, that's how they see themselves, I suppose. Not everyone is like them.

To be born again is to receive a new nature that is of Christ and therefore not sinful. However, we have the natural life in the soul that we received from Adam. He was created a spirit being, who had a soul and inhabited a body. His natural life was neither good or evil, neither inclined toward God nor hostile to God.

When Adam fell, he died - according to God's word. His death was spiritual, not of the soul or the spirit. However, his natural life became corrupted by his sin and so separated from God. The terrible decline of the human race is recounted in Romans 1.

Jesus came preaching the gospel of God's kingdom. We read what that is in Luke 4:18 & 19

“The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.”…

Hebrews 11:25 says that there is "fleeting pleasure" in sin. The world seeks such pleasures because they know nothing better. Believers realise that sin is a blight, not a blessing. That realisation, even if it is only seeing the consequences of sin, is a tremendous change of heart that only God can bring about.

Note what Lord Jesus had to say about the gospel. It is all about deliverance. Liberty, sight to the blind, release of the oppressed and the restoration of God's blessing lost through Adam's disobedience.

So no, being born again is not a licence to sin. It is the opposite, a hatred of sin that baffles unbelievers. I was saved in the military. My colleagues saw a transformation. I no longer frequented the bars and and got regularly drunk. I once was invited to a show where I saw things that I've never shared with anyone. I never fell for that trap again. I did not regale my colleagues with how sinful they were and they must turn or burn. But one of them told me that I was the happiest man he'd ever met.

Christianity is not a set of rules to follow. It is new life to be lived.
"She will give birth to a Son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21

Note well: The angel did not say, "Save His people from the penalty of their sins". No, true salvation is being set free from the power of sin over our lives.

Now it is obvious that Christians are not instantly perfect. We stumble in many ways. As we grow in grace and the knowledge of the truth, much that once bound us evaporates. Some sinful attitudes take a long time, in part because we do not realise those things that are sin. Who would think that a sport could be sin? Well it was - for me. I had to quit competitive table tennis. I would not tell others not to play sport. It's between them and God. But for me, I had to quit.

So how do we deal with the sinful impulses of the natural life that we inherited from Adam and the nagging lusts of the flesh that demand gratification? I will cover that in another post.
Do you agree that we should refrain from doing what God has revealed to be sin through His law?
 
  • Like
Reactions: vassal
That's right the Sabbath rest remains for the people of God. The Sabbath rest is according to the commandment Luke23:56 because Jesus who is God promised not a jot or tittle can pass from His laws. Mat5:18-30 Why those who enter His rest ALSO rest from their works Heb4:10 as God did on the seventh day. Heb4:4 Exo20:11 Gen 2:1-3. This idea that God wants us to work 7 days a week and profane the holy day of the LORD Isa56:2 Isa58:13 instead of remembering it to keep it holy Exo20:8-11 resting with God, is sadly is a doctrine of deception.

Its the same issue of rebellion Eze20:13 Heb3:7-19 who left out an entire generation out of their promised rest, the land full of milk and honey Eze20:15-16 why we are told in the NT not to follow in the same example of disobedience Heb4:11 but many have the same issue a harden heart Heb3:7-19 not subjecting themselves to the law of God Rom8:7-8 but God has a people who keep them Rev14:12 the question we will all need to ask is do we follow in the same path of rebellion and disobedience or do we allow God to instruct us on His righteousness Isa56:1-2 Psa119:172 which is everlasting Psa 119:142 the foundation of His throne Psa89:14- live is about choices and once He returns our choices will be sealed Rev22:11

Your hermeneutic in reverse makes you have truth (such as Heb. 4:9-16) backwards:
God wants us worship Him 7 days a week/continually (Rom. 12:1-3),
so doing good works on Saturday profanes nothing (Matt. 12:12).
 
  • Like
Reactions: pinebeach
Your hermeneutic in reverse makes you have truth (such as Heb. 4:9-16) backwards:
God wants us worship Him 7 days a week/continually (Rom. 12:1-3),
so doing good works on Saturday profanes nothing (Matt. 12:12).
God does want us to worship Him 24/7/365 but many confuse devotion with true worship. Jesus related worship to keeping the commandments of God quoting directly from the Ten Commandments and when we keep man traditions over the commandments of God sadly makes our worship to Him in vain. Mat15:3-14 Mark7:7-13 The 4th commandment is not just how to keep the Sabbath day, it is God's instruction on how man is to keep all days. Man has taken upon themselves to alter His words when He told us plainly not to Pro30:5-6 Deut4:13 Ecc3:14 Rev22:18
 
We have only in this life to be rid of sin. We cannot enter heaven with sin. Death does not rid us from sin , death is an enemy.
1 Jn 1:7 says the blood of Christ cleanses us from ALL sin. Without holiness no man shall see the Lord. We are delivered from sin in this life or not at all!

You are already delivered from sin and all its consequences. This does not mean you never sin again on this earth. It means that Jesus has taken the punishment for your sin.

No one will enter heaven with sin because Jesus has removed your punishment for all sins and the Father declares you righteous if you are in Christ. In Christ meaning believing in Him, being sealed by the Holy Spirit (which happens when genuine salvation occurs) and being sanctified.

There is no place in scripture that tells us that we become sinless or that we can 'get rid' of all sin. As long as your flesh endures on this planet, you are still under penalty of death if you are without Christ. So, do I misunderstand you? Are you saying we can become sinless while alive on earth?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rosemaryx and GWH
God does want us to worship Him 24/7/365 but many confuse devotion with true worship. Jesus related worship to keeping the commandments of God quoting directly from the Ten Commandments and when we keep man traditions over the commandments of God sadly makes our worship to Him in vain. Mat15:3-14 Mark7:7-13 The 4th commandment is not just how to keep the Sabbath day, it is God's instruction on how man is to keep all days. Man has taken upon themselves to alter His words when He told us plainly not to Pro30:5-6 Deut4:13 Ecc3:14 Rev22:18

Yes, but you plainly have the OT SL lording it over Jesus instead of accepting what the NT teaches,
beginning with Him being Lord of the Sabbath and continuing with Him not re-commanding the SL,
especially its death penalty!
 
God does want us to worship Him 24/7/365 but many confuse devotion with true worship. Jesus related worship to keeping the commandments of God quoting directly from the Ten Commandments and when we keep man traditions over the commandments of God sadly makes our worship to Him in vain. Mat15:3-14 Mark7:7-13 The 4th commandment is not just how to keep the Sabbath day, it is God's instruction on how man is to keep all days. Man has taken upon themselves to alter His words when He told us plainly not to Pro30:5-6 Deut4:13 Ecc3:14 Rev22:18

Telling people they are going to suffer the wrath of God if they go to church on Sunday as, according to your cult, the SDA, that is the mark of the beast, makes you unqualified to tell anyone how or when to worship. I don't think you understand a thing in scripture that actually details what worshipping God is all about.

See, you are not truthful with your presentations. You massacre the Bible by mixing old and new testaments together to change what is really being said and ignoring much of the New Testament. I think it would be good for people who are not familiar with you to understand what you really believe instead of pretending you are like all the other Christians here. You are not.

Your flesh telling everyone what to do , when to do it and how, is beyond profane.
 
Telling people they are going to suffer the wrath of God if they go to church on Sunday as, according to your cult, the SDA, is the mark of the beast makes you unqualified to tell anyone how or when to worship. I don't think you understand a thing in scripture that actually details what worshipping God is all about.

Your flesh telling everyone what to do , when to do it and how is beyond profane.
Well you could actually address the Scriptures, but I guess that doesn;t fit in why you are here.
 
Yes, but you plainly have the OT SL lording it over Jesus instead of accepting what the NT teaches,
beginning with Him being Lord of the Sabbath and continuing with Him not re-commanding the SL,
especially its death penalty!
The LORD of the Sabbath is just that. The Sabbath is the seventh day of the LORD Exo20:10 Why anyone would try to tear down what Jesus is LORD of is beyond me, it sadly saying someone else is lording them. This whole idea that Jesus is a different God of the OT is a very sad deception, why Jesus said man is to live by every word of God quoting from the OT Mat4:4 majority of man of courses teaches something very different than what Jesus said. And that's the real issue.
 
1When Jesus realized that the Pharisees were aware Hea was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John 2(although it was not Jesus who baptized, but His disciples), 3He left Judea and returned to Galilee.

4Now He had to pass through Samaria. 5So He came to a town of Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6Since Jacob’s well was there, Jesus, weary from His journey, sat down by the well. It was about the sixth hour.b

7When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Give Me a drink.” 8(His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)

9“You are a Jew,” said the woman. “How can You ask for a drink from me, a Samaritan woman?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)c

10Jesus answered, “If you knew the gift of God and who is asking you for a drink, you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.”

11“Sir,” the woman replied, “You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where then will You get this living water? 12Are You greater than our father Jacob, who gave us this well and drank from it himself, as did his sons and his livestock?”

13Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again. 14But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a fount of water springing up to eternal life.”

15The woman said to Him, “Sir, give me this water so that I will not get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.”

16Jesus told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.”

17“I have no husband,” the woman replied.

Jesus said to her, “You are correct to say that you have no husband. 18In fact, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. You have spoken truthfully.”

19“Sir,” the woman said, “I see that You are a prophet. 20Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews say that the place where one must worship is in Jerusalem.”

21“Believe Me, woman,” Jesus replied, “a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22You worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23But a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for the Father is seeking such as these to worship Him. 24God is Spirit, and His worshipers must worship Him in spirit and in truth.”

25The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When He comes, He will explain everything to us.”

26Jesus answered, “I who speak to you am He.” John 4
 
All of God's commandments are Truth Psa119:151 and when we don't keep them there is no truth in us 1John2:4 why Jesus taught in vain we worship Him laying aside the commandment of God for man's traditions He said it makes the word of God of no effect. Mat15:3-14 Mark7:7-13 the Sabbath is a commandment of God written by God, spoken by God Exo31:18 Exo20:6 just like the commandment to only worship Him and not vain His holy name or murder our neighbor all written by God, and no greater Authority than He. Sadly, the majority hold on to their traditions over God's commandments- Jesus said that is the wrong path Mat15:3-14.
 
  • Like
Reactions: vassal