The covenant with Noah

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jedothek

Dec 1, 2014
In Gen 9, we are told of a covenant between God and Noah. My question is about the terms of that agreement. Some terms:

Obligations on God’s part:
Never again will God destroy all life by water - Gen 9:8-17

Obligations on humanity’s side:
Not to consume blood - Gen 9:2-5
To refrain from murder - Gen 9:5-6

Now, my question is, in which group should we place “Be fruitful and increase in numbers” (Gen 9:1, 9:7)? Taken literally, this is an obligation imposed on humanity; but more intuitively, given other passages in the Bible, it seems more like an undertaking on God’s part to bring it about that Noah will have many descendants. What is truth?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
...given other passages in the Bible, it seems more like an undertaking on God’s part to bring it about that Noah will have many descendants. What is truth?
The directive to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth was first given to Adam. So that continued to be applicable to Noah and his descendants. The problem arose when humanity turned to false gods and idolatry. God does not want idolaters to multiply. However, they have multiplied, but those who do not repent will face the consequences. Therefore the Gospel must be preached in all the world and to every creature.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
I'm pretty sure "be fruitful and multiply" is the blessing more than it is a command. You can plant and water, but God gives the increase and rebukes the devouring locust. Because of this, we can enjoy the fruit of our labor, and see the fruit of the womb. You don't really have to command people to do their part in reproduction; that's kind of weird... and it's something they will just do anyway.

But this scripture is good to remind people that just because "the kingdom of God is more than food and drink" that doesn't mean you go around drinking blood, like some glittery Twilight vampire.

I would also add to man's obligation that god will require the blood of the murderer by the hand of a man; and this is the basis of human government ministering God's wrath.

Soyeong

Oct 11, 2023
In Gen 9, we are told of a covenant between God and Noah. My question is about the terms of that agreement. Some terms:

Now, my question is, in which group should we place “Be fruitful and increase in numbers” (Gen 9:1, 9:7)? Taken literally, this is an obligation imposed on humanity; but more intuitively, given other passages in the Bible, it seems more like an undertaking on God’s part to bring it about that Noah will have many descendants. What is truth?
Leading up to Noah, the people had multiplied, but they were not bearing good fruit because they had filled the earth with violence. Noah walked in God's way, so what he needed to multiply was people who were walking in God's way. In Psalms 119:1-3, God's law was how the children of Abraham knew how to be blessed, and in John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him, so the way that the children of Abraham and multiplied and are a blessing to the nations in accordance with inheriting the promise through faith is not through having many physical descendants, but through turning the nations from their wickedness and teaching them to do the same works as Abraham by walking in His way in obedience to His law in accordance with spreading the Gospel.

birdie

Sep 16, 2014

Thanks Jedothek for your mention of terms in the Genesis 9 promise.

We read: "And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth. And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. "

We know that the covenant that God gives to his own forever is the one based on Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. The term 'bow' in the Bible is associated with Jesus. The term 'cloud' has to do with judgment. Rather than just being a mention of rainbows, as the verse is usually thought of, the verse is telling us about Jesus in the judgment. When God sets Jesus in the judgment (on the cross) for a token, then the judgment side of the gospel (flood) will never again destroy God's people. Notice that the verse is speaking to Noah and every living creature. In other words, all who live in Christ, by parable language. I am reminded of the verse in the Bible that says "For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him. " The other part you mention in Genesis 9: "Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man. " is apparently speaking about those who are unsaved. They do not receive the message of Christ and go about in opposition to it. Thus, the covenant for the living is not for them.