The definition of sin...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 29, 2020
So this has been something that has been bothering me for awhile now and it seems like a stupid question, but what does it actually mean to sin?
I'm not talking about generic 10 commandment type stuff but the actual person by person process of separating the sinners from saints.
In the garden of eden, Adam and Eve where incapable of sin until they ate from the tree of knowledge and then they learned right from wrong, but does this mean that people who are truly ignorant of the word of god are incapable of sinning? If someone is never taught right from wrong will they still be judged by god by the same standers we set for ourselves?

We are taught today that the inquisitions, the crusades and the witch hunts, are all part a darker side of Christianity that is viewed as barbaric practices of the past, but since that's what they truly believed was the will of god will they be spared damnation?

or better yet the nations that for hundreds of years have gone without Christianity before they where introduced to missionaries, since they have never heard the word of Christ or his teaching and have a very different understanding of right or wrong, if as long as they believe they're doing the right thing are they not sinning even if it contradicts what we now know is gods will?

If so doesn't that mean that by spreading the truth we're also spreading the ability to actually be damned. to know that what you are doing is wrong and still do it anyways. so wouldn't it save the most souls to just leave them in ignorance?

does anyone know any good scripture verses that might explain this? im very confused and it makes my head hurt to think of .

Jan 17, 2020
So this has been something that has been bothering me for awhile now and it seems like a stupid question, but what does it actually mean to sin?
I'm not talking about generic 10 commandment type stuff but the actual person by person process of separating the sinners from saints.
In the garden of eden, Adam and Eve where incapable of sin until they ate from the tree of knowledge and then they learned right from wrong, but does this mean that people who are truly ignorant of the word of god are incapable of sinning? If someone is never taught right from wrong will they still be judged by god by the same standers we set for ourselves?

We are taught today that the inquisitions, the crusades and the witch hunts, are all part a darker side of Christianity that is viewed as barbaric practices of the past, but since that's what they truly believed was the will of god will they be spared damnation?

or better yet the nations that for hundreds of years have gone without Christianity before they where introduced to missionaries, since they have never heard the word of Christ or his teaching and have a very different understanding of right or wrong, if as long as they believe they're doing the right thing are they not sinning even if it contradicts what we now know is gods will?

If so doesn't that mean that by spreading the truth we're also spreading the ability to actually be damned. to know that what you are doing is wrong and still do it anyways. so wouldn't it save the most souls to just leave them in ignorance?

does anyone know any good scripture verses that might explain this? im very confused and it makes my head hurt to think of .
Hitler believed he was doing the right thing. So did the people who crucified Christ. You can recognize sin when you do not treat others as your equal. Or in treating them less than equal.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
In a nutshell, sin is doing what you know is wrong when you know God in His righteousness gave us a moral construct in which we are to live and govern our lives.
Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.

In point of fact that above scripture from the Book of 1st John chapter 3 verse 4 puts into perspective and shuts down the Denominational teaching that says, the law of God is obsolete. It does in the process of that give insight into the mindset of the Denominationalists that follow that teaching; Anything goes, we're saved! Which explains a lot when we know we've encountered such people.And unfortunately causes a lot of friction when eternal salvation or what is construed as, OSAS, (Once Saved Always Saved), is discussed.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
All Saints are sinners..
Saints are sinners who are being forgiven..

In the garden of eden, Adam and Eve where incapable of sin until they ate from the tree of knowledge and then they learned right from wrong, but does this mean that people who are truly ignorant of the word of god are incapable of sinning?
Without the knowledge of good and evil there is no sin.. Each person is given a consience by God this conscience convicts people of sin no matter if they have heard of god or not.. Little ones who are innocent do not yet have the knowledge of good and evil and thus are for a time without sin..

If someone is never taught right from wrong will they still be judged by god by the same standers we set for ourselves?
God will judge everyone by His perfect standards.. They are given a conscience..

It was the will of God that they should love their enemies and give judgement over to God.. If they where followers of Jesus they should have believed Jesus and sought to follow His revealed will..

Now we all know that we can believe Jesus and seek to follow His will but we as faulty human beings can and do fail to live up to the standards of Christ.. That's why we must believe and trust in the Atonement Jesus secured on the cross that Atones for the sins of all that believe Jesus and trust in his atonement..

The will of God defines what is and what is not sin.. Doing something against the will of God is sin and failing to do something that is the will of God is sin.. All will be judged for what they have done and what they have failed to do.. But their eternal destiny is dependent on if they end up accepting or rejecting the Atonement of Jesus to cover their sins.

If so doesn't that mean that by spreading the truth we're also spreading the ability to actually be damned.
We are giving people the opportunity to embrace the Gospel in this life and have the blessings of the assurance of salvation in this life..

to know that what you are doing is wrong and still do it anyways. so wouldn't it save the most souls to just leave them in ignorance?
Only little ones do not have knowledge of good and evil..

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
[QUOTE="The definition of sin? [/QUOTE]

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
(NOTE: Sin = any actions that violate Gods laws)

Bad news: Rom 3:23 all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Good news: Jesus sin atoning sacrifice PAID sins required wage.

Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and """hath given himself""" for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
(NOTE: Jesus loves you so much. He "GAVE" himself, a sacrifice & died in our place as a sin offering)

Heb 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had """by himself purged our sins""", sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
(NOTE: Jesus wilfully suffered in every believers place, "PURGED/PAID our sin debt owed = DEATH)

1 Cor 6:20 For """ye are bought with a price""": therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
(NOTE: Jesus wilfully suffered in every believers place, "BOUGHT" our sin debt owed = DEATH)

1 Cor 7:23 """Ye are bought with a price"""; be not ye the servants of men.
(NOTE: Jesus wilfully suffered in every believers place & "BOUGHT" our sin debt owed = DEATH)

Titus 2:
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
(NOTE: Christ is uur blessed hope)

14 """Who gave himself for us""", that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
(NOTE: Jesus GAVE Himself for us)

How we appropriate Christ's payment = Faith & Confession
Rom 10:
8 The word is near you, even in your mouth, & in your heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach

9 If you will confess with thy mouth that Jesus is Lord, & and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved
(NOTE: Confess faith in Jesus sin redemptive payment & resurrection)

10 For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; & with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
(NOTE: God imputes/credits our faith/belief/trust in Jesus, with a judicial declaration of righteousness. Salvation comes upon your heart felt belief & confession, that Jesus, who was raised from the dead. Is your Lord & saviour)

11 For the scripture says, Whoever believes on Jesus shall not be ashamed.
(Whoever BELIEVES! Places their FAITH in Jesus sin atoning work!)

12 There is no difference between the Jew & the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him

13 Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved
(NOTE: Confess & believe that Jesus died for your sins & that God raised him from the grave & you shall/will be saved)

FINALLY, only ONE sin Jesus atonement/payment can't remove = rejection/unbelief in his sinless sacrifice = death (sins required wage PAID) burial (proof he died) & resurrection (Fathers receipt, PAYMENT received & accepted)

John 16:
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
(NOTE: Once sent the Holy Spirit will reprove/expose/convict everyone of, sins? NO of "SIN" singular.)

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
(NOTE: The only SIN that Christ's blood won't/doesn't remiss/forgive is UNBELIEF in who Jesus was & what he did)

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
(NOTE: Once sent the Holy Spirit will reprove/expose/convict every believer of righteousness. Not our own self righteousness, it's worthless Isa 64:6. Christ/THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. Jer 23:6. We become righteous thru Faith, whereby our Great High Priest. Imputs His righteousness onto us & takes ALL our sins onto Himself)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Sin is willfully disobeying our Father.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Everyone is equal. But nobody treats others this way = sin.
The Book of 1st John chapter 3:5.But you know that Christ appeared to take away sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6No one who remains in Him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has seen Him or known Him. 7Little children, let no one deceive you: The one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as Christ is righteous.
Cross References
1 John 2:3
By this we can be sure that we have come to know Him: if we keep His commandments.

1 John 2:4
If anyone says, "I know Him," but does not keep His commandments, he is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3:9
Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God's seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.

3 John 1:11
Beloved, do not imitate what is evil, but what is good. The one who does good is of God; the one who does evil has not seen God.

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019

Romans 1-3 indicates that all have a knowledge of sin in some way. Man was made in the image of God, and still have it, at least in a shattered, marred sort of way. They know that they are in rebellion and under God's wrath.

I think if you read Romans, it would clarify these questions for you. You might want to get a good study bible such as the ESV Study Bible or (my favorite) the NIV Biblical Theology Study Bible.

Romans 2, in particular, indicates that man is given a conscience that enables him to know God's expectations in regards to general morality. Therefore, he can rightly be held accountable.

I recommend the DVD American Gospel: Christ Crucified and a book by Greg Gilbert called Favor: Finding Life at the Center of God's Affections. I worked in jail ministry, and the book was the major one I gave to inmates that were probing deeper.

Regarding evangelism, mankind is already condemned...the Gospel is how God reaches those he is saving. You aren't preventing them from being condemned; they are already condemned.

Some wishy-washy types nowadays may think that it is best not to evangelize people, but this is false because they have no hope outside of Jesus Christ.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
The Book of 1st John chapter 3:5.But you know that Christ appeared to take away sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6No one who remains in Him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has seen Him or known Him. 7Little children, let no one deceive you: The one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as Christ is righteous.
Cross References
1 John 2:3
By this we can be sure that we have come to know Him: if we keep His commandments.

1 John 2:4
If anyone says, "I know Him," but does not keep His commandments, he is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 John 3:9
Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God's seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.

3 John 1:11
Beloved, do not imitate what is evil, but what is good. The one who does good is of God; the one who does evil has not seen God.
1 John 2:3, 3:23 & 5:3 commandments parsed

People often add there own contextual application to 1 Jn 2:3 & 1 Jn 5:3. IE the 10 commandments.

Originally scripture wasn't written via chapter & verse. That's added later by translators. Taking one verse out of context invariably leads to doctrinal misinterpretations.

1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
(NOTE: For John's intended reference to keep his commandments. You must READ ON!)

1 John 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
(NOTE: What commandment is 1 Jn 2 referring to? Everyone who believes in Christ & loves his brother is born of God. Also see what Jesus say's in Matt 22:36-40)

1 John 5:
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
(NOTE: How does someone overcome the sins of the world? Vs 2: via FAITH! Faith in what? Vs 3:That Jesus the Son of God, the promised Messiah Who died (Paying sins required wage) was buried (proof he died) & resurrected (Fathers receipt, payment received)

What are the greatest law commandments?

Matt: 22:
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.
(NOTE: # 1 Love God)

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
(NOTE: #2 Love your brother. Does Jesus mention any of the Mosaic 10? NOPE!)

Romans 13:
8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
(NOTE: Love fulfills the law)

9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
(NOTE: If you truly Love someone. You won't kill, steal from, bear false witness aginst, covet their stuff, etc)

10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
(NOTE: If you truly Love someone. You won't kill, steal from, bear false witness aginst, covet their stuff etc)

Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
NOTE: Loving your brother fulfills the law of Christ)

Jesus give's a new testament commandent: Love your God & your brother

John 13:
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
(NOTE: Love your brother)

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

James 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
In regards to the definition of sin, Sabbathkeepers will often refer to this verse:

1 John 3:4 4 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. (ESV)

However, they will always quote it in the KJV (because it supports their claims better):

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

So, their claim is that law = Ten Commandments, or law = Mosaic Law, if they are a Hebrew Roots type sometimes.

The problem is that sin (hamartia) is related with lawlessness (anomia) in this verse.

I believe the proper view is that anomia (translated "transgression of the law") is the motivation or cause, and hamartia (sinning) is the result.

And, I think that anomia is really talking about "rebellion" or "unprincipled behavior". It is talking about the underlying rebellion that the unsaved man is still under.

The unsaved man has no desire to obey God, and he is in a state of rebellion. His state of rebellion is evidenced by acts of sin.

Therefore, I believe what it is talking about is the underlying "sin", in the sense of being in rebellion against God, which manifests itself in acts of "sin".

But, I really don't have a huge problem if I am wrong, because if so, I would simply view God's law as being his moral law, which includes prohibitions against moral transgressions. I don't believe days and diets are moral issues, despite the claims of Judaizers, and don't fall under God's moral expectations for believers.

The Sabbatarian will rebel against this, though, and claim that those who don't observe the Sabbath are living in perpetual sin.

When it gets down to it, though, sin can be used in two different ways..sin can be defined as the underlying fallen nature in man that guides his immoral behavior, which hates God's law. Sin can also be defined as the acts which are a reflection of this fallen nature..so there are two ways the word "sin" can be used in the Bible.

And, in one sense, God's laws cause man to sin. How does this happen? It happens because man already hates God's laws, and if his law identifies acts that God is displeased with, the fallen man will disobey in that way. Read Romans 7-8 carefully and see how this works. The law, for the unbeliever, actually causes him to sin, and exposes the sin nature actually...the unbeliever may not be aware of the depth of his sinfulness until the law is presented formally to him, and he transgresses it, and is condemned by his transgression by the Word of God.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The quickest way to understand what commandments and laws should be should be on the hearts of all, however if some have becomd confused, Jesus teaches us all by Word and His Own Example just what we should obey,

When we understand Jesus in this regard, we know to obey any law which if not obeyed disobeys love, we are wrong...…….

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
One does not need to over think this. Sin is anything and everything that is in violation of God's character and His laws. It includes violation of one's conscience also, since the Law is embedded in the conscience. The Bible says that (1) sin is the transgression (violation) of the Law and (2) whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Sin is anything that deviates from God’s nature and holiness. God is the standard of good.

Apr 15, 2017
Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another)
Rom 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

The world knows right from wrong whether they know the word of God or not and there is no justification for sin for the world will be judged and if judged then they are responsible for their sins that they did.

God said the people that do not know the word of God have the law written on their heart and their conscience bears witness of right and wrong, but they accuse and excuse each other.

Which a good example is African Americans and how they go against Caucasians.

But white guilt does not apply for nobody is responsible for anyone else's sins, and with that logic if an African American shoots or offends a white person then then they are all guilty.

And white privilege does not apply for African Americans will give African Americans privilege.

And all nations and ethnic groups push for power, but when they do not have the power they cry oppression, and the are cruel, but if they had the power they would push it too as is testified in their neighborhood with the power they do push that they can get away with and cruel pushing it is with an attitude that is arrogant and loving it.

God said what makes you to differ from another person and all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

So everybody acts the same according to sin but then point their finger and accuse while making excuses for their ethnic group, nation, or group, but they all act the same playing the same game of power and control.

It would only boil down to the fact that they are mad that they do not have the power and that is plain and simple for they want the power and they want it a lot.

The Bible says the 2 greatest commandments are love God and love people.

And love works no ill towards their neighbor, therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

And Paul said out of faith, hope, and charity, love in action, that charity is the greatest.

And charity does not think an evil thought, and does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth to hate sin, and not want sin, and be led of the Spirit which a Spirit led life will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh for they have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts, so they can abstain from sin.

Jesus said a new commandment He gives to the saints that they love one another which is more strict in the New Testament for the physical blessings are gone of prosperity leaving only the saints going by their needs and helping the poor and needy if possible.

Anything that is not of love is sin and love will go on forever but faith and hope are only needed on this earth which is why charity is the greatest.

The Bible says that creation testifies of God and of His attributes which one of them is love for He provided food, and the means to make clothing and shelter, so the world is without excuse, and cover the 2 greatest laws throughout the whole history of mankind that the world can see, love God and love people.

Love is the fulfilling of the law so anything that is not of love is sin, and the people that do not know the word of God have no excuse for by nature the law is written in their heart, and their conscience bears witness to what is right and wrong, and creation testifies of a God that loves people, so they should love this higher power and people.

God said herein is the love of God that we obey His commandments, and they are not grievous.

And Jesus said if you do not obey His commandments you do not love Him.

And the Lord knows them that are His having this seal that everyone that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

And awake to righteousness and sin not, but some have not the knowledge of God.

Love God.

Love works no ill towards their neighbor, therefore love is the fulfilling of the law, and love your neighbor as yourself, and feed and clothe your enemies.

Love is greater than faith, and faith works by love.

Paul said without love you are nothing, and have erred from the faith.

James said without love your faith is dead.

John said without love the love of God does not dwell in you, so do not love in word, or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.

Anything that is not of love is sin for love is the fulfilling of the law.

UnoiAmarah

Jul 28, 2017
God said the people that do not know the word of God have the law written on their heart and their conscience bears witness of right and wrong, but they accuse and excuse each other.
If not mistaken but wasn't it the house of Israel to whom would have the law written in their hearts?

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Which a good example is African Americans and how they go against Caucasians.
So if all men originated from one man and woman then how is it a good example when the Hebrews were divided into the house of Israel and the house of Judah?
But white guilt does not apply for nobody is responsible for anyone else's sins, and with that logic if an African American shoots or offends a white person then then they are all guilty.
If nobody is responsible for anyone else's sin then can anyone atone for somebody else's sin? But excuse me for admitting that I fail to see any logic in your line of reasoning, I admit I know less about more things than most.
And white privilege does not apply for African Americans will give African Americans privilege.
I don't understand what your point is by your comment, hopefully you are not saying that only whites are entitled to privileges.

L

LordsHandmaiden

Anything that separates us from God is sin!
Is.59:2,Psm.66:18,
Rms3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Gal.5:19-21 list some of the sins of the flesh
.Jer.17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things,and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Mat.15:18-20 some of the sins of the heart.

1 JOHN 1:9 If we CONFESS our sins,He is faithful and just to FORGIVE us our sins,and to CLEANSE us from all unrighteousness.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Anything that separates us from God is sin!
Is.59:2,Psm.66:18,
Rms3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Gal.5:19-21 list some of the sins of the flesh
.Jer.17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things,and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Mat.15:18-20 some of the sins of the heart.

1 JOHN 1:9 If we CONFESS our sins,He is faithful and just to FORGIVE us our sins,and to CLEANSE us from all unrighteousness.
Thank you for this informative and useful scripture, useful for me, useful for all..

bojack

Dec 16, 2019

Have you ever heard sin is the substitute for Jesus ? Sin is what we are bound to, to gratify the flesh in the absence of the Holy Spirit.. Sin gives us a perverted sort of satisfaction in place of Gods presence in our life .. In hell there will be no gratification of the flesh and no Jesus.. We can enjoy the thrill of sin for a season if we are saved but when our light goes low and out of the presence of Jesus we will suffer hard until we are humbled, repent and let Him lead us back .. If hurts when you get lost from Jesus and He chastens/whips us until we get back in line as many times as it takes .. He is faithful when we are not to restore and bring us to the point of repentance .. Sometimes it's not sin, we're OK but just sit down.. When we are in the valley it's God telling us it's simply time to get up and move on to not sit down now.. We pray to do all these great things and when Jesus is trying to answer we're not too sure all of a sudden .. LOL .. God hates sin and so do we .. Paul describes it well ..