The desires of your heart

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sac49

Senior Member
Jun 26, 2016
582
30
0
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart." (NKJV).

This was my verse for this morning so i started thinking. What is, or are, the desires of my heart? What do I want most in this life I live?

My first thought was, "I want to glorify God with my life."

My second thought was, "how does God give me this desire? "Thru the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit in me".

Thru the Holy Spirit I can live my life to Glorify God!

Yeah! Thats my desire!
 
  • Like
Reactions: zone
It's interesting in Ps. 37:4 that the Hebrew word for "delight" means "to be pampered."

I have asked the Lord about this verse specifically because it is one He gave me one morning as an "inheritance verse" which I call words from the Lord for me specifically.

As we let the Lord "pamper us" by His love and grace towards us - we have His desires born in our hearts. We then give Him that desire and He makes it come to pass through what Christ has done for us. Jesus said He came into the world to serve - not to be served. If we don't let Him serve us - we have no part in Him.

I heard it preached that if you go to church, tithe, witness, read your bible...etc Then that is delighting in the Lord and then you can ask Him for what you want and He will give it to you. In reality it is the complete opposite of that.

How wonderful the message of the gospel of the grace of Christ is and how it brings life and rest to our minds and hearts and that His desires will be birthed in us as we let Him be Himself to us.
 
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart." (NKJV).

This was my verse for this morning so i started thinking. What is, or are, the desires of my heart? What do I want most in this life I live?

My first thought was, "I want to glorify God with my life."

My second thought was, "how does God give me this desire? "Thru the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit in me".

Thru the Holy Spirit I can live my life to Glorify God!

Yeah! Thats my desire!
(This is started with humor. The point comes later.)

The title of your thread is "The Desires of the Heart." In the time it took me to reach my mouse, (yes, I'm still old-school) and click on the link, the desires of my heart were already clear to me:
1. I want to be warm! (Cold day today, can't seem to get warm even baking, and just went out to the unheated porch to get the mail in my socks and jammies. COLD!)
2. I want to know what to do next. (Was supposed to take hubby for a test, but he couldn't sleep, so didn't go, and I really do plan my day, or I'm lost. lol)

So, how did you get something so different out of "desires of the heart" than I got? I hope I'm not going to burst your bubble over this, but it was the first sentence that changed the meaning of the second. "Delight yourself also in the Lord."

You went off and delighted yourself in the Lord, and I went off and got mail from the unheated front porch.

Always good to remember "God first," and then the rest is added. Right down to desires. :)

(Good reminder for me. Thank you.)
 
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart." (NKJV).

This was my verse for this morning so i started thinking. What is, or are, the desires of my heart? What do I want most in this life I live?

My first thought was, "I want to glorify God with my life."

My second thought was, "how does God give me this desire? "Thru the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit in me".

Thru the Holy Spirit I can live my life to Glorify God!

Yeah! Thats my desire!



a great portion of scripture!

when we delight ourselves IN God, the desires of our heart change

and then he grants them...LOL!

God is good!

but I think there may be some room in there for our personal desires as well

great scripture
 
It's interesting in Ps. 37:4 that the Hebrew word for "delight" means "to be pampered."

I have asked the Lord about this verse specifically because it is one He gave me one morning as an "inheritance verse" which I call words from the Lord for me specifically.

As we let the Lord "pamper us" by His love and grace towards us - we have His desires born in our hearts. We then give Him that desire and He makes it come to pass through what Christ has done for us. Jesus said He came into the world to serve - not to be served. If we don't let Him serve us - we have no part in Him.

I heard it preached that if you go to church, tithe, witness, read your bible...etc Then that is delighting in the Lord and then you can ask Him for what you want and He will give it to you. In reality it is the complete opposite of that.

How wonderful the message of the gospel of the grace of Christ is and how it brings life and rest to our minds and hearts and that His desires will be birthed in us as we let Him be Himself to us.

This is a good point i didnt think of. How often are we willing to allow Jesus to serve us. How often do we "block Him out" when the Holy Spirit is trying to speak to us. Jesus "served" us on the cross yet we forget that part of the meaning of the cross.

You also mention the whole idea of the "name it claim it" heresy that it running rampant within the church also. It is an idea of "we serve Him so He owes us". When in fact it is the other way around. He served us so we owe Him.

I like the saying "Be careful what you ask for (desire) because you just might get it". Oh how our hearts are so easily swayed by the forces against us.

"Dear Lord, may the desire of my heart be to glorify you".
 
This is a good point i didnt think of. How often are we willing to allow Jesus to serve us. How often do we "block Him out" when the Holy Spirit is trying to speak to us. Jesus "served" us on the cross yet we forget that part of the meaning of the cross.

You also mention the whole idea of the "name it claim it" heresy that it running rampant within the church also. It is an idea of "we serve Him so He owes us". When in fact it is the other way around. He served us so we owe Him.

I like the saying "Be careful what you ask for (desire) because you just might get it". Oh how our hearts are so easily swayed by the forces against us.

"Dear Lord, may the desire of my heart be to glorify you".

I agree....however I do agree with the "name it and claim it" truth but only after it is God's desire that was birthed in me, I will boldly speak what He says is true. It's all to do with the "origin" of those desires. God's desires need to be named and claimed but "in context".

The truth of speaking the word of faith is valid but it's the "application" of it that people can get off in a ditch with. Let's just stick with God putting His desires in us for the way that we are to go. He is Lord. This will bring much glory to Him.
 
I agree....however I do agree with the "name it and claim it" truth but only after it is God's desire that was birthed in me, I will boldly speak what He says is true. It's all to do with the "origin" of those desires. God's desires need to be named and claimed but "in context".

The truth of speaking the word of faith is valid but it's the "application" of it that people can get off in a ditch with. Let's just stick with God putting His desires in us for the way that we are to go. He is Lord. This will bring much glory to Him.

In the "name it claim it" i am thinking more of those who are taking it further than what you are speaking of. These are the people who are going to the "i want a car, i want money, those type. The ones who say "you didnt get it because your faith isnt strong enough". The ones who are basically treating God like santa clause because "God owes it to them".

Your speaking of more of the "spiritual desires" which are instilled in us thru the Holy Spirit. Am i correct in that understanding of what you are saying? I dont want to be "putting words in your mouth". (Unless they are my words lol JK JK) Am i understanding your point correctly?
 
a great portion of scripture!

when we delight ourselves IN God, the desires of our heart change

and then he grants them...LOL!

God is good!

but I think there may be some room in there for our personal desires as well

great scripture

Yes there is room in there for our "personal desires" also. But we have to be careful with this so we dont mix faith with "not getting". There are those who will say "you didnt receive because your faith isnt strong enough". This is a very damaging abd dangerous way of looking at this subject.

My answer to this would be "I didnt get because God knows what is best for me". I have enough faith in God that He will only give what i can handle. Faith has nothing to do with getting. Faith has to do with believing that God is in complete and total control of everything. Faith is trusting what i dont understand to Gods Sovereingty.
 
In the "name it claim it" i am thinking more of those who are taking it further than what you are speaking of. These are the people who are going to the "i want a car, i want money, those type. The ones who say "you didnt get it because your faith isnt strong enough". The ones who are basically treating God like santa clause because "God owes it to them".

Your speaking of more of the "spiritual desires" which are instilled in us thru the Holy Spirit. Am i correct in that understanding of what you are saying? I dont want to be "putting words in your mouth". (Unless they are my words lol JK JK) Am i understanding your point correctly?

Yes....you have my general understanding of it. Although physical ones too count because God does provide physical things as well. We can see that in Jesus' life. He gave to people physical things and in some cases in abundance.

I agree though that some have gone in the ditch by just saying I can name it and claim what I want ( aside from God's desire in us being birthed ).

I don't believe that the words "believe and for" are used in the scriptures and they don't go together. It is always "believe in". I don't believe in believing for things - I believe in Christ in which there is all things. God doesn't give us things - He gives us His Son and in Him are all things.

Anyway...get the wrong origin of the desires and we'll be in a ditch trying to "faith in things" that God has not birthed in us. Unless the Lord build the house - they labor in vain that build it.

Let's be "pampered" by the love and grace of God towards us and see what He births in our desires. The true Christian life is exciting and an endless adventure in Him!
 
Yes....you have my general understanding of it. Although physical ones too count because God does provide physical things as well. We can see that in Jesus' life. He gave to people physical things and in some cases in abundance.

I agree though that some have gone in the ditch by just saying I can name it and claim what I want ( aside from God's desire in us being birthed ).

I don't believe that the words "believe and for" are used in the scriptures and they don't go together. It is always "believe in". I don't believe in believing for things - I believe in Christ in which there is all things. God doesn't give us things - He gives us His Son and in Him are all things.

Anyway...get the wrong origin of the desires and we'll be in a ditch trying to "faith in things" that God has not birthed in us. Unless the Lord build the house - they labor in vain that build it.

Let's be "pampered" by the love and grace of God towards us and see what He births in our desires. The true Christian life is exciting and an endless adventure in Him!

Yes. Thank God for all He has given us. Also thank God for the things He keeps from us. He gives us "things" for our pleasure but He keeps "things" from us for our safety.

What a wonderful amazing God we have! Give all glory to God in everything and He shall provide all we need. (And sometimes the "things" we just want).
 
It's interesting in Ps. 37:4 that the Hebrew word for "delight" means "to be pampered."

I have asked the Lord about this verse specifically because it is one He gave me one morning as an "inheritance verse" which I call words from the Lord for me specifically.

As we let the Lord "pamper us" by His love and grace towards us - we have His desires born in our hearts. We then give Him that desire and He makes it come to pass through what Christ has done for us. Jesus said He came into the world to serve - not to be served. If we don't let Him serve us - we have no part in Him.

I heard it preached that if you go to church, tithe, witness, read your bible...etc Then that is delighting in the Lord and then you can ask Him for what you want and He will give it to you. In reality it is the complete opposite of that.

How wonderful the message of the gospel of the grace of Christ is and how it brings life and rest to our minds and hearts and that His desires will be birthed in us as we let Him be Himself to us.

I don't see God "pampering us" in "delight". No, not at all.

So where did you get this prosperity definition?


Barnes' Notes on the Bible
Delight thyself also in the - Lord. The word rendered "delight" means properly to live delicately and effeminately; then, to be tender or delicate; then, to live a life of ease or pleasure; then, to find delight or pleasure in anything. The meaning here is, that we should seek our happiness in God - in his being, his perfections, his friendship, his love.And he shall give thee the desires of thine heart - literally, the "askings," or the "requests" of thy heart. What you really "desire" will be granted to you. That is,(a) the fact that you seek your happiness in him will regulate your desires, so that you will be "disposed" to ask only those things which it will be proper for him to grant; and(b) the fact that you do find your happiness in him will be a reason why he will grant your desires.The fact that a child loves his father, and finds his happiness in doing his will, will do much to regulate his own "wishes" or "desires," and will at the same thee be a reason why the father will be disposed to comply with his requests.

The Treasury of David

4 Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.There is an ascent in this third precept. He who was first bidden not to fret, was then commanded actively to trust, and now is told with holy desire to delight in God. "Delight thyself also in the Lord." Make Jehovah the joy and rejoicing of thy spirit. Bad men delight in carnal objects; do not envy them if they are allowed to take their fill in such vain idols; look thou to thy better delight, and fill thyself to the full with thy sublimer portion. In a certain sense imitate the wicked; they delight in their portion - take care to delight in yours, and so far from envying you will pity them. There is no room for fretting if we remember that God is ours, but there is every incentive to sacred enjoyment of the most elevated and ecstatic kind. Every name, attribute, word, or deed of Jehovah, should be delightful to us, and in meditating thereon our soul should be as glad as is the epicure who feeds delicately with a profound relish for his dainties. "And he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." A pleasant duty is here rewarded with another pleasure. Men who delight in God desire or ask for nothing but what will please God.; hence it is safe to give them carte blanche. Their will is subdued to God's will, and now they may have what they will. Our innermost desires are here meant, not our casual wishes; there are many things which nature might desire which grace would never permit us to ask for; these deep, prayerful, asking desires are those to which the promise is made

.
Matthew Poole's Commentary
Delight thyself in the Lord;in his favour and service, and in the study of his word and promises.

The desires of thine heart, i.e. thy just desires, or whatsoever is truly desirable and good for thee; which limitation is necessarily to be understood, both from divers places of Scripture, and from the nature of the things; for it is unreasonable to imagine that God would engage himself to grant their sinful and inordinate desires, and it would also be a curse to them to have them granted.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
Delight thyself also in the Lord,.... In the persons in God, Father, Son, and Spirit; in the perfections of God, his power, goodness, faithfulness, wisdom, love, grace, and mercy; in his works of creation, providence, and redemption; in his word, his Gospel, the truths and ordinances of it; in his house, and the worship of it; and in his people, the excellent in the earth, in whom was all the delight of the psalmist; and each of these afford a field of delight and pleasure, to attend unto, contemplate, and meditate upon;and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart; such as are according to the will of God, and for the good of his people; such as relate to communion with him, and to the communication of more grace from him, and to the enjoyment of eternal glory.
 
6253ʿānōgh
verb
​
to pamper, to take pleasure in
​
Complete Biblical Library Hebrew-English Dictionary - The Complete Biblical Library Hebrew-English Dictionary – Nun-Ayin.

Literally Ps 37:4 says be pampered according to Yahweh

We love because He first loved us. As you have received - freely give.The Son of Man came to serve not to be served. But we do serve after He has done giving us His live and love. His life will overflow and manifest the love and grace of God for others.
 
Last edited:
I'm not even sure what the desires of my heart are any more.

As a teen I use to think it was to have a kennel of dogs and be a vet assistant.
In my 20s I thought it was to get married, have a job, have money, have fun.
In my 30s I thought it was to be a great musician and have lots of friends, a
house of my own.

Now I would just settle for having a hope and a future. I suppose I'm closer to
the desires of my heart than at any other time in my life.


Jeremiah 29:10-14 NKJV
[10] For thus says the LORD: After seventy years are completed at Babylon,
I will visit you and perform My good word toward you, and cause you to return
to this place. [11] For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the
LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

[12] Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.
[13] And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
[14] I will be found by you, says the LORD, and I will bring you back from your
captivity; I will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I
have driven you, says the LORD, and I will bring you to the place from which
I cause you to be carried away captive.
 
I'm not even sure what the desires of my heart are any more.

As a teen I use to think it was to have a kennel of dogs and be a vet assistant.
In my 20s I thought it was to get married, have a job, have money, have fun.
In my 30s I thought it was to be a great musician and have lots of friends, a
house of my own.

Now I would just settle for having a hope and a future. I suppose I'm closer to
the desires of my heart than at any other time in my life.


Jeremiah 29:10-14 NKJV
[10] For thus says the LORD: After seventy years are completed at Babylon,
I will visit you and perform My good word toward you, and cause you to return
to this place. [11] For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the
LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

[12] Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.
[13] And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
[14] I will be found by you, says the LORD, and I will bring you back from your
captivity; I will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I
have driven you, says the LORD, and I will bring you to the place from which
I cause you to be carried away captive.
Sometimes God saves us from our own desires, what we desire may not be good for us in the long run. Other times He allows us to learn by our mistakes.
 
6253ʿānōgh
verb

to pamper, to take pleasure in
​
Complete Biblical Library Hebrew-English Dictionary - The Complete Biblical Library Hebrew-English Dictionary – Nun-Ayin.

Literally Ps 37:4 says be pampered according to Yahweh

We love because He first loved us. As you have received - freely give.The Son of Man came to serve not to be served. But we do serve after He has done giving us His live and love. His life will overflow and manifest the love and grace of God for others.
It says "to pamper" not "be pampered". As in to pamper yourself in the presence of the Lord. not to let God pamper you. You're perverting scripture again.

New International Version
Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

New Living Translation
Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart's desires.

English Standard Version
Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

New American Standard Bible
Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart.

King James Bible
Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart

That's so obvious most sinners would be able to figure it out.
 
There is no greater revelation that will change our lives then to know the love of God towards us. How much He loves us as His beloved children.

If we want to be filled up with the fullness of God - then we need to know the love of Christ for us. We love because He first loved us. As we have received - freely give.

Let the Lord "love on you" and reveal His true heart towards you and He will birth His desires in your heart and then He will bring them to pass and His glory/goodness will be manifested in us and towards others that need to know about His love and grace towards them.

Ephesians 3:16-19 (NASB)
[SUP]16 [/SUP] that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man,

[SUP]17 [/SUP] so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love,

[SUP]18 [/SUP] may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,

[SUP]19 [/SUP] and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.

We haven't even begun to scratch the surface of how much and deeply the Lord loves us and the magnitude of our salvation and true life that is in Him.