This is what people teach , I get it . Its become like a standard answer . But where does it say It was Jesus intent for us to do?Yes, I think we should learn it, recite it, and model our prayer after it. It was Jesus intent for us to do.
This is what people teach , I get it . Its become like a standard answer . But where does it say It was Jesus intent for us to do?Yes, I think we should learn it, recite it, and model our prayer after it. It was Jesus intent for us to do.
God is the Father of all believers. Jesus's model for prayer is for all believers.Today we have a whole host of denominations including the Catholics saying this prayer like a mantra. Its not a new testament verse for the church . The clue is in the very Jewish , OUR father .
Jews believed different things among themselves. Apparently, Jesus's followers originally believed that Messiah would defeat Israels human enemies and begin his rule on earth. What Jews are you referring to?Do you know what were the Jews thinking about when they were praying for God's kingdom to come on Earth?
Jews believed different things among themselves. Apparently, Jesus's followers originally believed that Messiah would defeat Israels human enemies and begin his rule on earth. What Jews are you referring to?
I sure do. I pray it every day. I walk around praying it. It's always in my mind, but I see that petition as request to make me more like Jesus, although he himself didnt need to be forgiven.Do you still pray to God to forgive you, based on how much you are forgiving others?
So when you were an enemy of Christ, did you want God to deliver his people from you?From scripture, this is what Zacharias , John the Baptist's the father, stated in Luke 1 under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, so we know its from God,
67 And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,
68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,
69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;
70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:
71 That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us;
72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;
73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham,
74 That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear,
75 In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life.
So yes, all enemies, human or spiritual. Remember at that time, Rome was their conqueror and Pompey the Great actually walked into their Holy of Holies.
I sure do. I pray it every day. I walk around praying it. It's always in my mind, but I see that petition as request to make me more like Jesus, although he himself didnt need to be forgiven.
I hope you don't walk through life hoping God's judgement will fall on sinners.
So when you were an enemy of Christ, did you want God to deliver his people from you?
From the elements contained im the prayer. First acknowledging our Father. Then the request of his Kingdom, which Jesus said in another place is already here.' model for prayer ' where did you get that phrase from ?
Yes this is a problem. Its where we take a passage and pick at it and take pieces from it apply it . Without justification. Jesus tells a group they must present themselves to the priests for cleansing ( literally ) why not pick that verse for today? Luke 17From the elements contained im the prayer. First acknowledging our Father. Then the request of his Kingdom, which Jesus said in another place is already here.
I understand your question. Do you understand that although King David knew he was forgiven, he still said his sin was ever before him? Or do you look at other sinners as though you are morally superior to them?No, my question to you was,
"do you pray to God to forgive your sins, based on how much you forgive the sins others have committed against you?"
My point on the diciples ( Jewish prayer) Is that prior to the cross this was our position .I understand your question. Do you understand that although King David knew he was forgiven, he still said his sin was ever before him? Or do you look at other sinners as though you are morally superior to them?
I understand your question. Do you understand that although King David knew he was forgiven, he still said his sin was ever before him? Or do you look at other sinners as though you are morally superior to them?
Guojing,Gentiles were not in Zacharias's mind when he uttered that prophecy (Ephesians 2:11-12)
Guojing,
Gentiles were in the minds of Jews waiting for the kingdom to appear
Gentiles were not in Zacharias's mind when he uttered that prophecy (Ephesians 2:11-12)
I'm justified in acknowledging God's greatness, in petitioning God for my needs or godly desires and in asking him to make me into the image of Christ. Those are the elements of that prayer and there is no prayer that anyone has ever prayed that don't fit that mold.Yes this is a problem. Its where we take a passage and pick at it and take pieces from it apply it . Without justification.
I have no problem having faith in what Jesus says to do. What's the matter with you?Jesus tells a group they must present themselves to the priests for cleansing ( literally ) why not pick that verse for today? Luke 17
And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.
This is something that was required and Jesus commands them to do so . Why do you not claim this verse ?
He is through Paul for Gods sake. Whats the matter with you? Are you saying that because Jesus never travelled outside of Israel during his ministry on earth that nothing he said was for gentiles?My point on the diciples ( Jewish prayer) Is that prior to the cross this was our position .
11¶Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
Do you think Jesus is speaking to any gentiles in light of theses verses ?
What I'm getting at is understanding the bible. We are instructed to study to show thyself approved ect . What's the point in scripture if we just make things up ?I'm justified in acknowledging God's greatness, in petitioning God for my needs or godly desires and in asking him to make me into the image of Christ. Those are the elements of that prayer and there is no prayer that anyone has ever prayed that don't fit that mold.
I have no problem having faith in what Jesus says to do. What's the matter with you?