The doctrine of entire sanctification.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
How high is God above us? How Holy is God above us? How perfect is Gods perfection?

We will forever and ever be growing into the fulness of God.

Sanctification will not end for the saved, We will be able to enter heaven perfectly whole but we will continue to grow. Sin will end but life will continue forever and ever.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
In vs. 3 the hope we have in Him is the resurrection, that is when we "purify ourselves even as He is pure.

It's at the resurrection, JBF, NOT in this life.

John tells us in vs.2 of His appearing, and this hope in Him in vs. 3. The resurrection where we are made perfect!

You are not understanding this, JBF!
I do understand this.

We are made pure even as He is pure in the moments that we have this hope in Him. That can happen in this life.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
How high is God above us? How Holy is God above us? How perfect is Gods perfection?

We will forever and ever be growing into the fulness of God.

Sanctification will not end for the saved, We will be able to enter heaven perfectly whole but we will continue to grow. Sin will end but life will continue forever and ever.
Eph 3:16, That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
Eph 3:17, That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
Eph 3:19, And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
Eph 3:20, Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

This promise is not set before us as a carrot on a stick.

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021
I do understand this.

We are made pure even as He is pure in the moments that we have this hope in Him. That can happen in this life.
He is the One who is pure, not us! He is the only way we will ever be pure! The Holy Spirit is working our sanctification is us by separating us from our sin. We are becoming more and more Christlike if we walk in the Spirit.

But we will not reach any perfection of any kind until the resurrection when "the corruptible shall have put on incorruption."

1 Cor. 15:52-54

"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory."

The corruptible is the sin nature! The sin nature must be removed from us to be perfect in any way!

We are raised incorruptible, meaning we no longer have the sin nature and we will sin no more, we will be like Him, perfect!

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
He is the One who is pure, not us! He is the only way we will ever be pure! The Holy Spirit is working our sanctification is us by separating us from our sin. We are becoming more and more Christlike if we walk in the Spirit.

But we will not reach any perfection of any kind until the resurrection when "the corruptible shall have put on incorruption."

1 Cor. 15:52-54

"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory."

The corruptible is the sin nature! The sin nature must be removed from us to be perfect in any way!

We are raised incorruptible, meaning we no longer have the sin nature and we will sin no more, we will be like Him, perfect!
1Jo 1:7, But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1Jo 1:9, If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Tit 2:14, Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
1Jo 3:2, Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
1Jo 3:3, And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021
1Jo 1:7, But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1Jo 1:9, If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Tit 2:14, Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
You are taking these verses out of context, JBF! Faith in Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin in the sight of God with His righteous standing given to us. We are still sinners in reality by the sin nature still in us. But we are being transformed more and more into Christlikeness by the Spirit through faith.

At the resurrection we are changed, our faith in Christ has led us to the total removal of the sin nature and thereby sin. We have now become sinless and perfect.

Don't let this drive a wedge between us, that is what will happen if we continue! We must agree to disagree and move on!

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
You are taking these verses out of context, JBF! Faith in Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin in the sight of God with His righteous standing given to us. We are still sinners in reality by the sin nature still in us. But we are being transformed more and more into Christlikeness by the Spirit through faith.

At the resurrection we are changed, our faith in Christ has led us to the total removal of the sin nature and thereby sin. We have now become sinless and perfect.

Don't let this drive a wedge between us, that is what will happen if we continue! We must agree to disagree and move on!
We will have to agree to disagree; and I will pray for you.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
My view
I personally think that this subject on Salvation is very important to understand --- As sanctification means --we are set apart by God and made Holy --- When we Receive Jesus in our Hears The Holy Spirit then indwells in us and our corrupt human Spirit is changed by the Person of the Holy spirit to make us Holy before God ----- so we are holy and heaven bound Spiritually so we are sanctified---

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
holiness, sanctification.
From hagiazo; properly, purification, i.e. (the state) purity; concretely (by Hebraism) a purifier -- holiness, sanctification.

Will we still sin --yes ---sin comes from the flesh ---which is our Carnal mind ----which we have to change ourselves ----we still have fleshy worldly thinking which still has hold over us to sin ----when we are weak God says His Grace is sufficient to help us in our weakness to sin ----Satan still has access to our minds and his job is to keep us in the sin mode ----so we are to call on God's Grace and we are to cast down all bad thoughts ----

Strong's Concordance
sarx: flesh
(sarks) is generally negative, referring to making decisions (actions) according to self – i.e. done apart from faith (independent from God's inworking).
Thus what is "of the flesh (carnal)" is by definition displeasing to the Lord – even things that seem "respectable!" In short, flesh generally relates to unaided human effort, i.e. decisions (actions) that originate from self or are empowered by self.
This is carnal ("of the flesh") and proceeds out of the untouched (unchanged) part of us – i.e. what is not transformed by God

I say
But here is the amazing part ----God does not impute sin on Born Again Believers -----we will sin but God has promised that He remembers our sins no more ---Past --present and future sins are forgiven
--Scripture below

Hebrews 8 NIV---- see verse 12

7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. 8 But God found fault with the people and said[b]:

“The days are coming, declares the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
9 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
and I turned away from them,
declares the Lord.
10 This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
11 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
12 For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”
[c]
13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear

I say ---we should want to be aware of what Jesus accomplished on the Cross for us ----
Reconciliation --Justification ---Sanctification --Healing ----Deliverance --Forgiveness and Wholeness

---The Scripture tells us how to have this -----

Romans 10 NIV

9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

Amanuensis

Jun 12, 2021
Yes, it is written in Matthew 7:7-8 that if we ask, seek, and knock, we will receive, we will find, and the door will be opened.

The experiences that these people had were valid.
Good verse, because in Luke he specifically says ask, seek, knock and how much more is the Father willing to give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
Good verse, because in Luke he specifically says ask, seek, knock and how much more is the Father willing to give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him.
And a little bit of sprinkling of water won't hurt (Ezekiel 36:25-27; Acts 2:38-39).

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
My view
I personally think that this subject on Salvation is very important to understand --- As sanctification means --we are set apart by God and made Holy --- When we Receive Jesus in our Hears The Holy Spirit then indwells in us and our corrupt human Spirit is changed by the Person of the Holy spirit to make us Holy before God ----- so we are holy and heaven bound Spiritually so we are sanctified---

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
holiness, sanctification.
From hagiazo; properly, purification, i.e. (the state) purity; concretely (by Hebraism) a purifier -- holiness, sanctification.

Will we still sin --yes ---sin comes from the flesh ---which is our Carnal mind ----which we have to change ourselves ----we still have fleshy worldly thinking which still has hold over us to sin ----when we are weak God says His Grace is sufficient to help us in our weakness to sin ----Satan still has access to our minds and his job is to keep us in the sin mode ----so we are to call on God's Grace and we are to cast down all bad thoughts ----

Strong's Concordance
sarx: flesh
(sarks) is generally negative, referring to making decisions (actions) according to self – i.e. done apart from faith (independent from God's inworking).
Thus what is "of the flesh (carnal)" is by definition displeasing to the Lord – even things that seem "respectable!" In short, flesh generally relates to unaided human effort, i.e. decisions (actions) that originate from self or are empowered by self.
This is carnal ("of the flesh") and proceeds out of the untouched (unchanged) part of us – i.e. what is not transformed by God

I say
But here is the amazing part ----God does not impute sin on Born Again Believers -----we will sin but God has promised that He remembers our sins no more ---Past --present and future sins are forgiven
--Scripture below

Hebrews 8 NIV---- see verse 12

7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. 8 But God found fault with the people and said[b]:

“The days are coming, declares the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
9 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
and I turned away from them,
declares the Lord.
10 This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
11 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
12 For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”
[c]
13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear

I say ---we should want to be aware of what Jesus accomplished on the Cross for us ----
Reconciliation --Justification ---Sanctification --Healing ----Deliverance --Forgiveness and Wholeness

---The Scripture tells us how to have this -----

Romans 10 NIV

9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.
Heb 4:13, Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Heb 4:13, Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
I say
This passage you quote cannot be understood without knowing the context of this whole scripture ------is all about True Christians entering into God's Rest ------and Paul is saying that some might fail to experience this rest as some are called False Christians and have hardened their hearts toward the Good News -----and they will never enter into His rest -----verse 3 ----

And to be fair you really should have quoted verse 12 along with your 13 which states God's knows our hearts and Hos word cuts and exposes our intentions and desires ------

So true Christians are sanctified ---that is they are set apart and will enter into His Rest ------

Hebrews 4 NLT

Promised Rest for God’s People

4 God’s promise of entering his rest still stands, so we ought to tremble with fear that some of you might fail to experience it. 2 For this good news—that God has prepared this rest—has been announced to us just as it was to them. But it did them no good because they didn’t share the faith of those who listened to God.[a]

3 For only we who believe can enter his rest. As for the others, God said,
“In my anger I took an oath:
‘They will never enter my place of rest,’
”[b]
even though this rest has been ready since he made the world. 4 We know it is ready because of the place in the Scriptures where it mentions the seventh day: “On the seventh day God rested from all his work.”[c] 5 But in the other passage God said, “They will never enter my place of rest.”[d]
6 So God’s rest is there for people to enter, but those who first heard this good news failed to enter because they disobeyed God. 7 So God set another time for entering his rest, and that time is today. God announced this through David much later in the words already quoted:
“Today when you hear his voice,
don’t harden your hearts.”[e]
8 Now if Joshua had succeeded in giving them this rest, God would not have spoken about another day of rest still to come. 9 So there is a special rest[f] still waiting for the people of God. 10 For all who have entered into God’s rest have rested from their labors, just as God did after creating the world. 11 So let us do our best to enter that rest. But if we disobey God, as the people of Israel did, we will fall.

12 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.

13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.

justbyfaith

Sep 16, 2021
I would suggest applying Hebrews 4:13 to Hebrews 8:12.

Every singular scripture verse stands alone as a bastion of scriptural truth; and one can receive added insight into what it is saying by looking at the immediate and topical contexts (1 Corinthians 2:13 (kjv)).