The Doctrine of Tongues Explained by: Johnny Stallings part 1

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southern

Sep 9, 2009
The Doctrine of Tongues Explained
By: Evangelist Johnny Stallings

Before one can adequately understand the operation of tongues, in the Church, and for the individual believer, you must first understand that there are three entirely diverse types of tongues that are operational by the believer through the anointing of the Holy Ghost. Two of which are for the edification of the Church, and one for the edification of the believer unto God. All of which are supernatural in essence and artless. They cannot be taught or learned, they are divine and direct from God the Holy Ghost.

The bible does not exactly give unambiguous names to the three completely different types of tongues it simply calls them tongues, so I have given them names for the purpose of in-depth study to conquer any confusion. While the scripture does not exactly name the three, I will show you through Holy Scripture that I am correct in the fact that there are three definite distinguished diverse types, for very diverse purposes. The first I will call the unknown language, or unknown tongue many call it the prayer language. The unknown language is for the edification of the believer unto God. The second is tongues of a foreign language tongue, this is for the edification of other’s. The third I will call the prophetic tongue, this is for the edification of the church. The prophetic tongue is a tongue that is spoken aloud in the unknown language but is always followed by a divine interpretation.

The first appearance in the New Testament that tongues is a gift, sign, or wonder to the believer is Mark in the sixteenth chapter and the seventeenth verse. It is told by Jesus Himself in a list of signs and wonders that He say’s shall follow every believer
. Mark 16:15-20 And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be ****ed. 17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. 19 ¶ So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. 20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.
Now while all of the five signs are very important we are just at this time focusing on the sign or gift of speaking in tongues. I just wanted to give you the whole of the scripture in its proper context. So we see here that Jesus is telling his disciples that after he ascends into Heaven He charges them to preach the gospel and that tongues one of the five signs shall follow them, meaning that if they are in His perfect will they shall speak in other tongues. Now this concept most certainly was not new to the disciples, as they themselves had heard Jesus speaking in an unknown tongue in two occasions that we know for sure of in the scripture and probably more that just simply was not recorded in the text. Remember the scripture does say that there would not be enough books in the world to contain all of Jesus’ works. John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
The first time that we read of Jesus speaking in tongues in the bible is in the book of Mark when he is in the death room of Jairus daughter. Jesus spoke these words “
Talitha cumi,” and scripture said this to be interrupted is “Damsel, I say unto thee, arise” It had to be interrupted for the scripture to give us an understanding of what Jesus had said. If it were not tongues it would not have said “this to be interrupted,” Jesus would have spoken in the language of the land He was in. You see there wouldn’t have been reason for Jesus to have spoken in a foreign language for as understanding the scripture you can see the power of one earthly language is no more powerful than another. Therefore, Jesus would not have spoken in a foreign earthy language. Scalars and theologians have searched and studied ever known language past, and present to justify those words of Jesus’, to identify what language He was speaking in this passage and in another that we will discuss in a moment. There efforts were fruitless Jesus was speaking no known language. Some have said that it was possibly Syriac or Aramaic expression, but this is unfounded.One theologian actually said that Jesus was speaking gibberish words with no meaning just “jibber jabber”, we know that this is not the case every sound that ever left the tongue of our Lord had a deep meaning and relevance to them, to believe anything else is simply blasphemous. How we know what Jesus said had meaning is the scripture said this to be interpreted. Jesus was speaking in tongues, are you could say the unknown language. The language that He told His disciples in the sixteenth chapter of Mark that they would now speak this Heavenly language themselves. This is a precious gift from Jesus through the Holy Ghost to those who truly believe. You see Jesus knew that there were things that we were going to need to pray that needed the power of this Heavenly language. The actual text we are discussing reads as follows; Mark 5:41 And he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise.

The next time Jesus spoke in tongues that was recorded in Holy Scripture was when He was on the Cross dying for our sins he said “
Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani” interrupted means, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” This is also found in the book of Mark in the fifteenth chapter and the thirty-fourth verse, “And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? Which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” Jesus was speaking directly to His Father Jehovah. This is one of the reasons for my personal belief or Johnnyology as I call it, instead of theology, and this is that in Heaven the language we will speak will be the language as we call it here the unknown language, or tongues the prayer language. You see this is the only language that has not been defiled by a curse word or sin. On top of that it being the language that Jesus sometimes used when praying or speaking to His Father.

In these two examples of tongues that the scripture gives us of Jesus speaking in them, are I believe as I have said in the previous paragraph was the unknown language or prayer tongue, it also is a form of the prophetic tongue, because it was interrupted. You see from the way I have come to understand it, and this is by the teaching power of the Holy Ghost, not just an idea that I have come up with myself, and this is that the prayer language, and the prophetic tongue are in the same language. The only difference in the two as I have stated is that the prayer language is for the edification of yourself (“
1st Corinthians 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.”), while used as a prophetic tongue it is for the edification of the church. I will give a more expounded explanation of this when we begin discussion of the prophetic tongue, but for now lets stick to the prayer language.

The first time that the believer or you could say the church speaks in tongues of any kind is on the day of Pentecost. You see Jesus told His people to go and wait in Jerusalem for the promise He made of the Holy Ghost is fulfilled. “
Acts 1:1-5 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, 2 Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: 3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: 4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. 5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

The faithful waited in the “upper room” as the scripture calls it in Jerusalem on the promise which was the baptism of the Holy Ghost to be fulfilled. “
Acts 2:1-4 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance” The promise had arrived, that’s what the scripture meant when it said the Day of Pentecost had fully come, Pentecost meaning the Holy Ghost, the promise of God made manifest. There was about one-handed and twenty people in that upper room of whom waited on their soon coming promise, and on the day of Pentecost it was fulfilled, the promise made manifest inside the hearts and minds of every believer gather together there, note every believer. I want you too also notice that the first outward appearance of the baptism of the holy Ghost to others was that they spoke in tongues. Tongues is the evidence that one is filled with the Holy Ghost, that is to say if a believer does not speak in tongues then they have not been baptized with the Holy Ghost, and I will further prove this point with the scriptures in a moment.

The first type of tongues that they spoke was the prayer language tongue. The second was the tongues of another foreign language. “
Acts 2:5-8 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7 And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galileans? 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Let me give you another example why I hold fast to the doctrine that tongues (the prayer language) is the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost. Paul was traveling among the churches when he passed through Ephesus he found some believers there, or disciples as the bible says. Paul asks them have they been filled with the Holy Ghost, and the disciples reply in so many words, We do not know anything about the Holy Ghost, but we have been saved. Then the bible says that Paul laid his hands upon them and they were filled with the Holy Ghost and began to speak in tongues and prophesied. “
Acts 19:1-7 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. 3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John’s baptism. 4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 7 And all the men were about twelve.” So here we see the second proof that the first evident of the filling of the Holy Ghost is the speaking in tongues. You see when we receive the Holy Ghost and this most wonderful gift of tongues that we shall call the prayer language we can now speak directly to God, just as we do in prayer but now the soul can pray to God without any interference from the devil or satan. “1st Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
d

southern

Sep 9, 2009
When you pray in your prayer language, your soul prays things for you and other’s that you yourself do not know to pray. “Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” So as you can see here by this verse of Holy Scripture the importance of the baptism of the Holy Ghost. One thing you should know about the Holy Ghost is that He is the perfect gentleman, He will never force Himself upon you, meaning you will never be baptized in Him without you first genuinely seeking after Him. He will never make you do anything you do not want to do, it is not a possession, that‘s what the devil does with demons. That is why in scripture the word possession is never used referring to the Holy Ghost. If you will seek after Him and yield yourself to His power, He will move upon you in a powerful way. I have fallen in the floor under His power, I have jerked and twitched while speaking in tongues, but only because I yielded myself to Him. He did not just take my body and do it. I allowed myself to be used by Him. I wondered for a long time why when I yielded myself completely to the Holy Ghost that I would some times twitch or jerk, and God told me the reason late one night while I was praying. He told me that it was just the reaction of my natural body responding to supernatural power. Remember when Moses talked to God at the burning bush, and He told Moses if he were to see His face that Moses would die. God hide Moses and walked by him and let Moses see his hind parts and this alone turned him grey. His body just could not handle it. If you were to give interviews with Holy Ghost filled tongue talking people, the ones who had really experienced the Holy Ghost and was really filled they would all tell you that when God moves on them He does it like the wind blows, you will reach a high and ease back down then will come another. Like when you are standing in the wind it is not a constant blow, but the wind will hit you and reseed then come again. I think the Holy Ghost moves like this because it’s the only way we could handle His power. Now that part is just my opinion. I said all this to show you how the Holy Ghost can move upon you if you let Him, but He is a gentleman so He is waiting for you.

It is God’s will that everyone who has been saved to be filled with the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues. Lets look again at the day of Pentecost how many were filled with the Holy Ghost? The answer is all, everyone there. How many spoke in tongues? Again the answer is all of them. Contrary to what many believe Paul was a great advocate of speaking in tongues. “
1st Corinthians 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:” That’s right this is Paul talking, if we did not have a good understanding of Paul’s nature it would almost sound boastful. We can draw from this text that Paul not only spoke in tongues, but spoke in them frequently. Paul also said that he would prefer that everyone spoke in tongues. “1st Corenthinas 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues,”

Let’s take a hard look at 1st Corinthians chapter fourteen. There is a lot of confusion in the church about this chapter. The reason most people get confused in the fourteenth chapter of the book of Corinthians is they do not understand or distinguish that Paul is talking about two totally different types of tongues in the text. In part he is referring to the prayer language, and then in part to the prophetic tongue.

Lets break down the fourteenth chapter of 1st Corinthians from verse one through forty before we go any further so there is no misunderstanding and you can be sure I am not manipulating the scriptures to serve my on beliefs. There is a lot of controversy over this chapter.

Verse 1-5 “
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.” Here we see a lot of text in which we have already covered, but lets give it another overlook. The text says to follow after charity, the word charity in this verse is defined as love. So we can understand it to read follow after love. In verse 2 we can see that the text is talking about the unknown language (prayer language) here for it says no man understands it. In this alone we can gather that tongues is very scriptural. To brake down verses I will use the term A and B as in verse 2-A meaning the first part of the verse and verse 2-B meaning the latter part of it. This is the way the Holy Scriptures is studied in seminary and collage. This is a sound method for dissecting a verse part by part. So now lets look again at verse 2-B, the text says “howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries” the mystery of course is to man not God. It is in a since the Holy Ghost praying for the baptized believer or for someone’s through the believer, and when I say baptized I am speaking of the baptism of the Holy Ghost not the sacrament of water baptism. Verse 3 and 4 tells us that prophesies speaks to the church, and the scripture as we will see as we continue on in the chapter is speaking of two of the spiritual gifts of the Holy Ghost prophecy and interpretation. There are nine gifts of the Holy Ghost that all believers filled with the Holy Ghost are given and they are Wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, working of miracles, discernment, prophecy, tongues, and interpretation of tongues. Now lets look again at verse 5-A “I would that ye all spake with tongues” Paul is explaining that it is his wish and desire for everyone that is a believer to speak in tongues (prayer language). Now lets look at verse 5-B “but rather that ye prophesied” Paul is not saying for people not to speak in tongues, as we can tell by the first part of this verse, in section 5-B of the verse he is simply saying that prophecy is a greater gift because it not only edifies the believer but the whole of the church body. We must keep in mind that this section of the fourteenth chapter is dealing with the church service alone. Paul is explaining how the gifts should operate within the church service, not in every day living. In part C of verse 5 we see that in the church service tongues is an equal gift with prophecy if it is followed by divine interpretation. We can also gather by this verse that there must be at least to different types of tongues. one for self edification and the other for the edification of the church. We established in Acts chapter two that there is a type of tongue that is understood by man, for it is a tongue of foreign language. So with all of the information from the text that we have so far in this commentary we have establish the three different types of tongues that was mentioned in the first paragraph of this commentary.

“1st Corinthians 14:6-15 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? 7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped? 8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? 9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. 10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification. 11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that spiked a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me. 12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. 13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 ¶ What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? 17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.” This is a lot of verses to cover at once but they all consist of the same message. Paul is explaining the obvious, if I come to you speaking in tongues you will have no idea what I am saying, and furthermore neither would I. He is not saying that speaking in tongues is unfruitful by no means, he is simply saying that our understanding of it is unfruitful. To say that tongues is unfruitful is a blasphemy of the text, because Paul has already stated in this letter to the church at Corinth that tongues has a fruitful purpose that is accomplish when spoken. It is as I have stated previously the Holy Ghost praying through us for things we do not know to pray for or how to pray for them. What Paul is trying to teach here in the fourteenth chapter is that one should not stand up to teach or preach and only speak in an unknown tongue, because that would not accomplish the goal of preaching which is the illuminating of Gods Word. Never did Paul in any text says that a believer should not speak in tongue (prayer language) in privet, public, nor in the church. It is quiet the opposite as we will see when we get to verse 39, Paul says forbid NOT speaking in tongues (prayer language, or others). To say it is wrong for someone to speak in tongues with or without interpretation is heresy. The definition for heresy is this holding of unorthodox religious belief: the holding of, or adherence to, an opinion or belief that contradicts established religious teaching, especially one that is officially condemned by religious authorities; a false teaching or doctrine of the Word of God;.

“
verse 18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. 20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 ¶ In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.” I think we have already adequately expounded on verse 18. Paul is writing a very hard letter here to the church at Corinth, and he is trying to explain this important subject in a way that he will not be misunderstood. From his next letter to the church at Corinth I think it is plain to see that they understood the doctrine that Paul was articulating in his previous letter. Yet it would seem that his text for the modern man lacks the ability that the Corinthian people possessed, because this chapter has caused more division than I believe then any other. I want say this with humility I have never found it hard to understand myself. The problem with most preacher is they will take verses sporadically from the fourteenth chapter of 1st Corinthians and formulate a doctrine with scripture that is out of it’s proper context. One thing you must understand at any rate, it is very hard for someone not filled with the Holy Ghost to understand and comprehend the Bible. You remember Jesus said that the Holy Ghost would be our teacher, that He would lead us into all truth. I think that is the main reason I have such a good understanding of the text, also one must read the whole book, and study what history we have of the church at Corinth that is not recorded in the bible. Just like a lot to properly understand the Old Testament, and the Old Covenant is you must first study and understand Jewish history and ancient Jewish customs. I say this with humility also, I have spent the most part of my life studying the Holy Scriptures and religious history so I am very confident that my teaching on the doctrine of tongues and other doctrinal idea’s are sound. The only way to properly understand what Paul is has written in the fourteenth chapter of 1st Corinthians is the scriptures must be read and studied in their context. That is why I am trying to explain it in chronological order. With all this in mind Paul is not as many think condemning speaking in tongues in the church. He is simply trying give an understanding of it’s proper function as it relates to both the believer and the church as a whole.

Lets read verse 19 again “
Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.” Notice the fifth word in the verse Paul said “I” not you, nor did he imply believers in general he said I. Now we must ask why would Paul rather speak five words with understanding then ten thousand in tongues (prayer language). The answer to this question is quiet simple when contemplated. It is because Paul is a teach or preacher if you will. If he were to stand up behind the pulpit and only speak in tongues his message would have no meaning to the mortal man. Also notice that he said I would rather, again here he is clear not to forbid speaking in tongues even in the pulpit. Let me explain something from my own personal experiences. I have been literally preaching the Gospel from behind the pulpit since I was fifteen years old, so I have a lot of experience in preaching, so I can greatly relate to what Paul is saying here in this particular text. Nearly every time I have ever preached I have spoken in tongues (prayer langue) at one or more points in my sermon. I have never stood up and only spoke in tongues that would not accomplish the goal of having a sermon heard. You see when I speak in tongues while preaching it is not for the edification of the church, it is for me personally. It is the Spirit praying that I have the words to say or for some other need unknown to me. I hope that sheds a little more light on our subject. As I have said Paul never said that he never spoke in tongues wile preaching, but he would rather speak in a understood language.

“
Verse 22-25 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. 23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? 24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: 25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.”

southern

Sep 9, 2009
At first glance the verse 22-A seems to be very simple and self explanatory, well it’s far from that, not that it is complicated, but easily misunderstood. Looking at verses 22-25 it seems as if the text has contradicted its self, but as we shall see in a moment there is no contradiction. Paul is not saying that what he was about to write in the text was a direct conclusion from the passage of Scripture which he previously quoted, but that it followed from all that he had said, and from the entirety of the view from the subject. "The true statement or doctrine is, that tongues are for a sign.” This as a confirmation of what Jesus had also previously said in Mark the sixteenth chapter and the seventeenth verse, Jesus these signs shall follow them that believe, and tongues was one of those five signs. So you see tongues is a sign, in fact a sign of the Gospel. What Paul was actually saying in verse 22-A is that tongues is a sign and as with any sign, wonder, or miracle from God it has the power to convict the unbelieving heart. Paul was saying that tongues is a sign to the unbeliever true, for the believer does not need a sign, because they already believe. Notice he said tongues is not a sign to them that believe, meaning the saint already believes so it is not a sign to him that religion is true of God. Tongues mean something totally different to the unbeliever than to the believer. Now lets review verse 22-B, what did Paul mean when he states prophecy is not a sign for the unbeliever but for the believer. Here it is just the opposite to what we just discussed. Prophesy has no meaning to the unbeliever, but to the believer it is God speaking to them. In other words prophecy is not meant for the unbeliever, but rather for the edification of the church, those who already believe. You see it is not a sign of the Gospel as tongues is, but a tool for the believer.

“Verses 26-33 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. 27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.” Now look at verse 26 very closely, notice above all things that this is a question, which in verse 27 Paul assumes the answer to his question and corrects the people of Corinth. In modern day lingo Paul asks them, when they have church does everyone come wanting to do their own thing. I can imagine three or four preachers showing up all with different sermons wanting to preach them at the same time. You see a study of the beginning day’s of the Church at Corinth will show you that this was a very disorderly church, there services was chaotic, people left confused instead of enlightened. In verse 27 Paul begins to tell them how they should have order in their services. He tells them if any speak in tongues, and he is referring to the prophetic tongues not the prayer language. For we have established the prayer language is not interrupted. So what Paul is saying is if someone stands up to give a message in a prophetic tongue that there should always be an interpretation. The reason he says here let it be by two or three, is because these people were coming to church and everyone was giving messages taking up the whole service, and I am sure many of them were not true messages. In verses thirty Paul is simple teaching them to be respectful to one another, to prefer their brother as the scripture said. He explains if you have already stood up to give a word, and someone else stands up and interrupts you, don’t get mad just sit down and wait till they are finished.

“
Verses 34-38 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. 35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. 36 ¶ What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? 37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.” This does not really have any baring on our subject, but it’s here and it’s a very important matter that is greatly misunderstood so I will include it in this commentary. Verses 34 and 35 is a statement given to Paul in probably a letter the people of the church at Corinth had written to him . They are telling Paul of a doctrine they have in adopted in their church. So skim back up and read verses 34 and 35 again, this time keeping in mind that this is not Paul speaking, but the people of Corinth. Then look at verse 36 again as Paul’s response. Paul’s response is unbelief in the enormity of ignorance that is expressed by the Corinthians, Paul says “WHAT?!!” meaning I can’t believe that you are teaching such a thing, this is crazy, were did you get such a doctrine. Then notice what Paul said in verse 38 If any be ignorant then let him be. Meaning this type of doctrine is ignorant, and not of God!! You see you have to pay close attention to the start of a new paragraph to catch the message in some text. When Paul wrote WHAT?!! It is the start of a new paragraph, his reply to what was previously written.

“
Verse 39&40 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.” Theses verses will conclude this commentary. Paul tells us to seek to prophesy, and to never forbid anyone to speak in tongues (prayer language) at any time. So we should never have a teaching or doctrine in a church that tells people they should not speak in tongues in the church services, or at any other time for that matter. Paul concludes this subject by telling them let all things in there services be done in order. For the service not to be chaotic, not meaning to stop a move of the Holy Ghost in worship, but not having ten people preaching ten different things.
The End​

Sharp

May 5, 2009
DONE. 3 minutes, 54 seconds. How did everyone else go?

Jan 8, 2009
I wondered for a long time why when I yielded myself completely to the Holy Ghost that I would some times twitch or jerk, and God told me the reason late one night while I was praying. He told me that it was just the reaction of my natural body responding to supernatural
This has been my experience too after praying in tongues for a long time I started jerking and twitching. I don't even have to pray in tongues for it to happen after it first happened. I've been asking God for a while now why it happens and if it was from Him and He told me exactly the same thing - it's a reaction.

What Paul was actually saying in verse 22-A is that tongues is a sign and as with any sign, wonder, or miracle from God it has the power to convict the unbelieving heart
I once saw a street preaching speaking in tongues and it convicted this one man. I wouldn't say it was a conviction leading to repentance/salvation, but something which made him block his ears and run away he could not bear to listen.

The old testament support for this is given in verse 21 and is:
Isa 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

God said he would speak to unbelievers with another tongue because they would not listen to His prophets who He sent to them in His own tongue. Some think this is just meaning the Jews, but it refers to all unbelievers in general, not just Jews. Some people think that true tongues has to be in a true known language of todayand if it isn't, then it's false tongues. But that's incorrect, because this would defeat the purpose of Isa 28:11 - it's supposed to be in a language not understood. Others think that "tongues for unbelievers " means so you can go to some foreign country and preach the Gospel - but I think that's also incorrect, it's not really for preaching the Gospel but for convicting unbelievers and as a sign to make them go "what was that?" This is what happened at Pentecost, the people heard them all speak in tongues, and they asked "what does this mean" , but Peter addressed the crowd and preached the Gospel in their native tongue not in tongues.

I think when we speak in tongues to another person it is one way as if Jesus Himself is speaking to that person since the Spirit speaks what He hears from Jesus, and in tongues we speak what the Spirit says:

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.

So tongues can be a direct line of communication from Christ Himself.

When we think of "private prayer language" and "edifying yourself" we often think of selfish reasons, for our desires and what we need personally. But even though it's a personal prayer language, the content of those prayers is often prayer for others. There's nothing selfish about having yourself edified by praying for others.

I've seen prayer language tongues used to pray for a person who needed prayer, and the person being prayed for heard every word in plain english even though it was spoken in tongues by the speaker.

This is one of the best teachings on tongues I've read and I've read a lot of different books on it, one I have is 200 pages long and a bit over done, but I think this article truly hit the nail on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.