The Error of KJV-Onlyism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Bible_Highlighter

Nov 28, 2023
What if I could prove to folks that the Bible today is perfect?

Check out this video here to learn more.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The same truth is expressed in Acts 12:4. It is also a reference to the OT Passover. It is the only way it works with the context. Herod would not care about the Christian Passover. After all, when Herod killed James he had seen that it pleased the Jews, and therefore this is why he proceeded further to take Peter. Some of my fellow KJB advocates will say that it had a double meaning here in Acts 12:4 (i.e., a symbolic one), but if that is the case, then all words should have been changed to Easter in the New Testament to reflect that. I just see it as a synonym currently like how a person might say kitty and feline in the same paragraph to both refer to a cat. Is there a deeper spiritual meaning? I am sure there is knowing the amazing GOD we serve (Proverbs 25:2).

God has revealed treasures to me in Scripture that others just mock and or cannot see.
You are not understanding what I am saying and that is ok. Blessings!

CS1

May 23, 2012
The KJV and Modern Bibles do not always teach the same doctrines.

You can check out my list of Changed Doctrines in Modern Bibles starting in my post #1,777.

Here are list of Catholic ideas in the NIV (Which also appear in other respected Modern Bibles).

Catholic Ideas in the NIV - ChristianChat.

In fact, the Revised Version (the first English Bible of the Modern Bible Movement) promoted about 6-7 Catholic ideas. This number grew with the following Modern English Bibles over the years.

What should disturb you even more is that the 27th edition of the Nestle and Aland NT Greek Critical Text says it was supervised by the Vatican. Do you want to follow a Bible that was influenced by the Vatican? I sure don’t. Well, unless a person is Catholic or ecumenical I suppose it would not be a problem. Note: All recent Modern English Bibles follow the Nestle and Aland.

That is like a JW bible with the publisher not known. Your point is valid. I would use the term " liberal Modern Bible," which has an agenda to remove Christ from the word of God. That is my point: the KJV doesn't do that. Nor is it a liberal Version.

Are we to tag the KJV and the NIV pre-1984 as unreadable? Some have. I don't think you have done that. I have not seen that.

The modern Bible can be useful IF the person of Christ is kept in context. Liberal theology is nothing new; it has been around since the 1950s.

CS1

May 23, 2012
The KJV and Modern Bibles do not always teach the same doctrines.

You can check out my list of Changed Doctrines in Modern Bibles starting in my post #1,777.

Here are list of Catholic ideas in the NIV (Which also appear in other respected Modern Bibles).

Catholic Ideas in the NIV - ChristianChat.

In fact, the Revised Version (the first English Bible of the Modern Bible Movement) promoted about 6-7 Catholic ideas. This number grew with the following Modern English Bibles over the years.

What should disturb you even more is that the 27th edition of the Nestle and Aland NT Greek Critical Text says it was supervised by the Vatican. Do you want to follow a Bible that was influenced by the Vatican? I sure don’t. Well, unless a person is Catholic or ecumenical I suppose it would not be a problem. Note: All recent Modern English Bibles follow the Nestle and Aland.
The issue today is lazy people who do not study the word of God and look to these YouTube-wannabe prophets and self-proclaimed pastors and Apostles. The Biblical illiterate is the problem.

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
Jude 3:4 says to earnestly 'contend for the faith once delivered to the saints.'

When the apostles passed on the teachings of Jesus and their own teachings as led by the Spirit, and when their teachings were written down in gospels and epistles, they did not write them in Late Modern English. They wrote in Greek.

There are some people who teach basically that the King James Bible is word-for-word inspired. That would require basically the canon of scripture to be open until 1611, turning translators into something like inspired scripture writers.

I've seen a variety of arguments for KJV onlyism. One is to point to flaws of other manuscript compilations that some other translation was translated from. But that doesn't prove the KJV is an inerrant inspired translation.

Another argument is that the Bible you have 'in your hand' needs to be inspired. But I could hold an NIV or NASB in my hand, too. That doesn't make it inspired.

Another argument is that there has to be a 'final authority.' It doesn't make any sense to use that to argue that the KJV is an inspired inerrant translation.

Some KJV-onlyist argue that it was the only translation 'authorized' by a king. But Henry VIII had the Great Bible translated, and that doesn't make it an inerrant translation.

Yet another argument is to take a verse about how pure or preserved the word of God is, quoting a verse about it. But those verses existed in the actual original languages scripture was written in, and they show up in the other translations as well. So how is that an argument for KJV onlyism?

The fatal flaw of KJV-onlyism is that it is an ignorant back-woods idea made up by preachers or others some time after the KJV was translated, and not part of 'the faith once delivered to the saints. The apostles did teach it. The Bible doesn't teach it. People got saved through believing the word of God before King James was born.
Personally, I like the KJV and typically read from it, BUT, I'm also aware of it's few anomalies and translation issues, and also use other translations to double ck such as the interlinear.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Personally, I like the KJV and typically read from it, BUT, I'm also aware of it's few anomalies and translation issues, and also use other translations to double ck such as the interlinear.
This is a very reasonable position and I think one of the best one could have.

I honestly feel that this whole idea of a superior version of God's word is so very silly, but only in 2 main ways that I feel actually hurt.
The first is the split it causes in the body of believers. I think this is the WORST reason for believers to divide themselves and condemn each other for. I'm not saying at all to not have your own preference and to give reasons for and be able to debate the matter with your brothers. BTW this is what is taking place here, I think it's a good thing, but if you go to a KJV Only church that speaks out condemning the "others" that don't believe what they do as not even being brothers, I have a big problem with that kind of division.

This is a bigger problem in my opinion, but it's the presenting this one version as the only "miraculous, inerrant, unapproachable, WORD OF GOD that cannot be questioned or checked into" kind of divine status they over dramatize this version with. When it paints a picture and sets a standard that is #1 impossible to measure up to, but even more too easy to poke holes through, even if those holes are just a matter of perspective or opinion. It's set up for even the smallest perceived flaw to be grounds for complete dismissal in the lost/seekers eye. It's no different than what the Muslim does with the Quran.(argument wise, of course the KJV has the fact it IS the word of God on it's side).

I never saw the Bible as the word of God until His Spirit opened my eyes to it, it's not something we can convince others of in that way. While I of course know the KJV is the word of God and stand on His word like all who have been born again do, in truth, but convincing others of this is the job of only one, and one alone, and it's not you or me. So I truly believe the idea of coming at it like "This is the word of God, prefect in every way", is honestly coming at it with the wrong emphasis for anyone who doesn't already believe that. I just don't see a point in making it the biggest focus honestly.

Bible_Highlighter

Nov 28, 2023
That is like a JW bible with the publisher not known. Your point is valid. I would use the term " liberal Modern Bible," which has an agenda to remove Christ from the word of God. That is my point: the KJV doesn't do that. Nor is it a liberal Version.
All the respected Modern English Bibles (ESV, NIV, CSB, NET) have false doctrines within them. While they are formal equivalent Bibles, they are all liberal Bibles in the sense of how they were created, and the false doctrines they teach. The one link I gave you on the NIV's Catholic ideas (that you did not check) shows an agenda and a corruption. All the NIVs have these changes.

You said:
Are we to tag the KJV and the NIV pre-1984 as unreadable? Some have. I don't think you have done that. I have not seen that.
You seemed to be involved in another conversation that I never started. I never brought up any issue of the readability of both the KJV and, the NIV together. I believe the KJV is the perfect words of God for today, and the Modern Bibles like the NIV are corrupt (Although we can use them if it aligns with what is said in the KJV). The issue here is not readability but accuracy. Something can be easy to read, but it can be false or wrong, and therefore, it is not going to help anyone. I would rather go with the KJV even despite its difficult archaic wording because it is accurate, and not corrupted. The Modern Bibles are corrupted and teach false doctrines. So readability is not the issue here.

You said:
The modern Bible can be useful IF the person of Christ is kept in context.
Uh, I don't think you understand the level of corruption that is in Modern Bibles. Again, I would go back and check the links to my posts within this thread to help you to see what I am talking about.

You said:
Liberal theology is nothing new; it has been around since the 1950s.
Before Modern Bibles became popular in the 60s and 70s, generally it was liberal churches who favored Modern Bibles here in America. But liberal theology was long before that time. Westcott and Hort were closet liberals and they were attempting to sneak in a different text in the disguise as a KJV update (i.e., the Revised Version of 1881). Poster “ResidentAlien” here on the forums admits to this deception, and he simply does not care or see it is a problem. Would you follow a Bible Movement that is based on deception and lies? I sure wouldn't. But he doesn’t have a problem with that. It makes me want to puke.

Bible_Highlighter

Nov 28, 2023
The issue today is lazy people who do not study the word of God and look to these YouTube-wannabe prophets and self-proclaimed pastors and Apostles. The Biblical illiterate is the problem.
Right, and I would say that a person is being biblically illiterate if they do not see the changes between the KJV vs. the Modern Bibles and see that these changes are for the worse, and not for the better.

Bible_Highlighter

Nov 28, 2023
You are not understanding what I am saying and that is ok. Blessings!
Your position was a little fuzzy to me. So I replied in such a way to address both known KJV viewpoints on Acts 12:4 involving the word "Easter."

Viewpoint #1. - Acts 12:4 is talking about the Christian Passover and not the OT Jewish Passover. This viewpoint is clearly not supported by the context.​
Viewpoint #2. - Acts 12:4 is referring to the OT Jewish Passover, but the wording by the Holy Ghost is showing a symbolic double meaning to its wording here in that it is also a reference to how Christians view the Passover now (Which is in the fact that Christ is our Passover Lamb). I am under the impression you favor this view, but I am not 100% sure.​

Do you hold to a viewpoint that is not on this list? If so, I would be curious to know what it is.

Dec 29, 2023
The KJB Superseded Hebrew and Greek

That's pretty funny to claim a translation take the place of the original
thumbsup7.gif

Bible_Highlighter

Nov 28, 2023
But you're interlinear/dictionary usually is an interpretation or translation of another person who is just as equally human and fallible and prone to make mistakes. Surely interlinear/dictionaries are not inspired by God and neither are they perfect. So then, you or some Modern Scholar becomes the authority and not the Bible itself. Look to the Bible itself and you can see the fruit of it. The King James Bible is the most printed book in the world and has caused great revivals (unlike the Modern Bibles and Modern Scholarship). In fact, Modern Scholarship or the Modern Bible Movement is all based on lies and deception with Westcott and Hort trying to pass off their Revised Version as a KJV update when in reality it was based on the Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. Even the poster named "Resident Alien" in this thread admits to this lie and deception and he simply doesn't care. I wouldn't follow a movement based on lies and deception, but some people do not have a problem with that. Also, Scripture itself teaches that God’s words are pure and they are preserved forever. So it is a matter of faith and not by sight. You may see error in the KJV, but that is your own human limited thinking. I am sure folks seen error in Jesus, but He was the perfect Son of God who died for the sins of the whole world so as to present mankind with the gift of eternal life.

Bible_Highlighter

Nov 28, 2023
The deceptions do not end with Westcott and Hort.

Adding to the challenge for Textual Critics, there was a deliberate attempt to mislead by relocating the segment of 1 John 5:8, which reads, “For there are three that testify". It's shifted to fill the gap in 1 John 5:7, creating the illusion that there's no crucial missing verse. This should immediately raise alarm bells. However, within the Textual Critic community, many might dismiss it with a casual "No cause for concern here, move along," which is worrying. If it were a trivial detail in the Bible that didn't impact doctrine, it might not be as critical, but this directly relates to a fundamental aspect of understanding God's nature (i.e., the Trinity).

Not only is 1 John 5:7 removed, but the word “Godhead” (Which means Trinity) is changed to say something else. So all direct references of the Trinity are removed in Modern Bibles. Your Modern Bible is neutered like a cat and you cannot properly defend the Trinity with direct references like the real Bible (the KJV).

Anyway, the main point here is that the Modern Bible Movement is filled with lies and deception. We see a pattern already in just these two points I brought up. But there is more of course. Does anyone care?

My guess is that most don’t care.
This is why we are living in the last days.

jamessb

Feb 10, 2024
Santa Fe NM

The modern Bible can be useful IF the person of Christ is kept in context. Liberal theology is nothing new; it has been around since the 1950s.
I don't know of one single Bible that removes Christ from the word of God, i.e., the Bible. Cany you give an example?

The "modern Bible", whatever that means, is as useful as an earlier translation. There are many "modern" Bibles, and all say essentially the same thing (not including, of course, translations created for a specific cult, e.g., the New World Translation). Modern Bibles (whatever that term means) contain God's word in its entirety; that has nothing to do with "Liberal theology".

jamessb

Feb 10, 2024
Santa Fe NM
This is a very reasonable position and I think one of the best one could have.

I honestly feel that this whole idea of a superior version of God's word is so very silly, but only in 2 main ways that I feel actually hurt.
The first is the split it causes in the body of believers. I think this is the WORST reason for believers to divide themselves and condemn each other for. I'm not saying at all to not have your own preference and to give reasons for and be able to debate the matter with your brothers. BTW this is what is taking place here, I think it's a good thing, but if you go to a KJV Only church that speaks out condemning the "others" that don't believe what they do as not even being brothers, I have a big problem with that kind of division.

This is a bigger problem in my opinion, but it's the presenting this one version as the only "miraculous, inerrant, unapproachable, WORD OF GOD that cannot be questioned or checked into" kind of divine status they over dramatize this version with. When it paints a picture and sets a standard that is #1 impossible to measure up to, but even more too easy to poke holes through, even if those holes are just a matter of perspective or opinion. It's set up for even the smallest perceived flaw to be grounds for complete dismissal in the lost/seekers eye. It's no different than what the Muslim does with the Quran.(argument wise, of course the KJV has the fact it IS the word of God on it's side).

I never saw the Bible as the word of God until His Spirit opened my eyes to it, it's not something we can convince others of in that way. While I of course know the KJV is the word of God and stand on His word like all who have been born again do, in truth, but convincing others of this is the job of only one, and one alone, and it's not you or me. So I truly believe the idea of coming at it like "This is the word of God, prefect in every way", is honestly coming at it with the wrong emphasis for anyone who doesn't already believe that. I just don't see a point in making it the biggest focus honestly.
Great post!!! Thanks!

jamessb

Feb 10, 2024
Santa Fe NM
I cannot help but wonder what the true agenda is of the latter-day Pharisees who hold the King James translation to be the only valid translation. It is madness.

Every reason I have ever read for their belief is nuts. For example, there is a "modern Bible movement", as though today's translators and publishers secretly got together to plot how they could distort "the true word of God". Have you ever heard of anything so insane?

The truth is that modern scholars from all denominations have gotten together to produce translations in our native language, using the best sources, scholarship, and resources. We are blessed to have the modern translations that we have! There is a translation for everyone, regardless of their level of literacy, understanding of God, the Trinity, God's purpose for His creation, God's love for all people, etc.

I feel very sorry for people who are trapped by the lie that the King James translation is the only valid one. It is one of many translations, and has been modified over time (therefore was never perfect.) The same thing can be claimed for the NIV, the NRSVue, the NET, and others, which have been modified since their initial publication. There is a continuing effort by the translators to modify and improve their translations as new sources are discovered, the understanding of the ancient language increases, and how modern readers interpret the language of the Bible. For example, prior to the publication of the latest NIV, extensive research was done to analyze modern English usage. The translators wanted to be sure that, as much as possible, the Bible text would be accurately understood by modern readers.

By contrast, compare that to the King James translation. It was created over four centuries ago in the common language of that time, which of course is not the common language of today. It was never a perfect translation! That is a myth created by KJV-only people; it cannot be shown to be true. (As a matter of interest, which revision of the King James Bible is the perfect one???) There is no question that, because more than 400 years have passed since its creation, the King James Bible is more difficult to understand than a modern translation. THAT IS A FACT! The language of the King James Bible is a DEAD LANGUAGE, i.e., it is not used anywhere in the world as the current language.

I am constantly amazed by KJV-only people who post on this forum (and others) whose command of the English language is obviously lacking. Yet they claim to understand the King James Englyshe perfectly. Amazing!

In summary, KJV-only people are deluded. They are blinded and cannot accept the truth. They cling to one single translation ordered by a king for political reasons, and reject modern versions because of their complete lack of understanding (willful or not) of how those translations were created.

We have the best translations today than have ever been available. I encourage everyone to read the translation that "speaks" to them most clearly, in their normal language. God wants to communicate clearly to you through His printed word. Mark 12:33, "To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”

Ephesians 1:7-9, "In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace 8 that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ"

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The same truth is expressed in Acts 12:4. It is also a reference to the OT Passover. It is the only way it works with the context. Herod would not care about the Christian Passover. After all, when Herod killed James he had seen that it pleased the Jews, and therefore this is why he proceeded further to take Peter. Some of my fellow KJB advocates will say that it had a double meaning here in Acts 12:4 (i.e., a symbolic one), but if that is the case, then all words should have been changed to Easter in the New Testament to reflect that. I just see it as a synonym currently like how a person might say kitty and feline in the same paragraph to both refer to a cat. Is there a deeper spiritual meaning? I am sure there is knowing the amazing GOD we serve (Proverbs 25:2).

God has revealed treasures to me in Scripture that others just mock and or cannot see.
yes, contextually the only reason an influx of people to Jerusalem makes sense is Passover. unleavened bread is mentioned. Christians are being persecuted. they do not understand Christ's resurrection as something 'different' than firstfruits, but the revelation of the true meaning of the feast, and likewise Pesach to be fully revealed in the offering of the Lamb of God. there is no such thing as 'Jewish Passover vs Christian Passover' — only God's Passover, and some know it is fulfilled and others deny it.

so the people who filled Jerusalem at the time are not there for a new holiday by another name, but for Passover - whether they are believers or not.

but as we know i do not agree that easter is a synonym for Passover. there is a better argument that it is for firstfruits - and that too, would be clearly a mistranslation, because the word in the language God choose to record scripture in, is Pascha.

Bible_Highlighter

Nov 28, 2023
Would somebody please post this for Jamessb to see? He has ignored my posts. He does not appear to believe the word “Christ” is removed in the Bible (KJV).

Here it is a snapshot from my 101 Reasons for the King James Bible being the Pure Word of God:

IMG_3166.jpeg

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Viewpoint #2. - Acts 12:4 is referring to the OT Jewish Passover, but the wording by the Holy Ghost is showing a symbolic double meaning to its wording here in that it is also a reference to how Christians view the Passover now (Which is in the fact that Christ is our Passover Lamb). I am under the impression you favor this view, but I am not 100% sure.
i would argue this **might** make sense in 1 Corinthians for example, but not in Acts 12.

i would further argue it doesn't make sense in either case, it's still the Levitical feasts being fulfilled, not something new being created, and Resurrection took place on firstfruits, not Passover.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
As a matter of interest, which revision of the King James Bible is the perfect one???
apparently the 1611 one, tho no one uses it,
"because arbitrary numerology"

lol

it's a joke, relax.