The fall

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What caused Eve to take the fruit of knowledge?

• Total voters

Anywhoo

Dec 13, 2020
Genesis 3:1-13 NIV

1Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” 2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’” 4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” 6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. 8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?” 10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.” 11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?” 12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.” 13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
IMO, Selfishness most of all. The serpent told her some things that she wanted to believe.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Well why did you/we sin today or the other day? :) Satan is not just another angel. He is full of wisdom. Look what one fallen angel has done. Satan rebellion against God. Man gave in to temptation... a lie.

B

Blackpowderduelist

1 Timothy says Eve was deceived. Simple enough Satan cast doubt on what she believed and with no back up to support her beliefs he was able to live to her. She was deceived

Anywhoo

Dec 13, 2020
1 Timothy says Eve was deceived. Simple enough Satan cast doubt on what she believed and with no back up to support her beliefs he was able to lie to her. She was deceived
6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it.

(Cast doubt on what she believed was good before she possessed the knowledge of good?)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Well Adam blamed Eve and Eve blamed the serpent. Adam really blamed God for giving him the woman. God knew it was the serpent who promoted the transgression yet God knew that Eve would not resist the temptation. Adam joined in the transgression so as not to be separated from Eve.

It was both hearing the serpent and rebelling against God. They both knew what God had said and they both transgressed. Transgression is rebellion against God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it
When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food...lust of the flesh.

...and pleasing to the eye...lust of the eyes...

...and also desirable for gaining wisdom...pride of life.

The weakness of the flesh.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
What caused Eve to take the fruit of knowledge?

Curiosity?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it.

(Cast doubt on what she believed was good before she possessed the knowledge of good?)
the idea that Adam had not even the most basic sense of right and wrong before eating from the tree is ludicrous & unsupportable.

awareness of fundamental ethic & morality is not the result of having ingested a fruit. if it were, how does God hold them accountable for what they did while they were imbeciles? and why did God create them with IQ's less than 50, warn them not to gain any rudimentary sense of intelligence, then punish them for gaining the ability to make an informed decision?

Adam & Woman were not created to be mindless idiots. they were not mindless idiots; they were the 'very good' creation of God in His own image.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food...lust of the flesh.
o look she has basic knowledge of 'good' before she eats :unsure:

looks like the common traditional teachings about this chapter are wildly inaccurate hmm
that means millions of Christians do not understand the first few pages of the scripture :(

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Lots of speculation about why Adam ate the forbidden fruit, but Scripture does not say, only that Eve was deceived and Adam "hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree…” and he was held responsible, for he was not deceived, and they were both punished for their transgression. Some even say Adam was not there when Eve ate, while Scripture says otherwise. Neither do we know whether God told Eve the command directly, or whether Adam passed the commandment onto her, but we do know she added to what God had said when she relayed to the serpent that God had said "and you must not touch it," which is not part of what we are told God said to Adam. The same lie the serpent told, the lie at the heart of the fall of man and corruption of all creation, is being told to this day : “You will not certainly die."

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Well Adam blamed Eve and Eve blamed the serpent. Adam really blamed God for giving him the woman. God knew it was the serpent who promoted the transgression yet God knew that Eve would not resist the temptation. Adam joined in the transgression so as not to be separated from Eve.

It was both hearing the serpent and rebelling against God. They both knew what God had said and they both transgressed. Transgression is rebellion against God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
you really think God accepted them refusing to confess their sin, failing to repent, accepting no responsibility, and ultimately pointing the finger back at Him saying 'this is Your fault, God' ????

seriously??

Nov 15, 2020
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
The serpent twisted the truth of what God told Adam, but he targeted her, because she was "weaker". Adam was instructed what to do, but he chose to go with eve.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
1 Timothy says Eve was deceived. Simple enough Satan cast doubt on what she believed and with no back up to support her beliefs he was able to live to her. She was deceived
why wasn't Adam deceived?
did Satan try & fail?
did Satan know he would fail if he directly targeted Adam and go instead after 'the weaker vessel' ?

what i'm probing at is the comment about having no back up to support her belief. because, did Adam have more than she did?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
you really think God accepted them refusing to confess their sin, failing to repent, accepting no responsibility, and ultimately pointing the finger back at Him saying 'this is Your fault, God' ????

seriously??
That's an additional layer of of the situation. God did not accept their answers to the situation. God passed death upon them and all their heirs.

My reply does reveal the nature of fallen man. At what point did Adam repent? God supplied a covering for Adam's sin but did Adam repent?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The serpent twisted the truth of what God told Adam, but he targeted her, because she was "weaker". Adam was instructed what to do, but he chose to go with eve.
i tend to agree -- i think Satan in his cleverness used Adam's love for Eve to ensnare him, and did so because he knew he couldn't directly deceive him, either because he had tried, or simply by inference from what he had observed about Adam.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
That's an additional layer of of the situation. God did not accept their answers to the situation. God passed death upon them and all their heirs.

My reply does reveal the nature of fallen man. At what point did Adam repent? God supplied a covering for Adam's sin but did Adam repent?

For the cause of Christ
Roger
God does not save the unrepentant & unbelieving. they die as a result of eating from the tree, not as a result of cursing God.
they stopped hiding immediately when God called to them. they both confessed what they had done, truthfully.
Adam isn't blaming God; he's expressing his love for his wife and his sense of responsibility for her when he confesses.

the common tradition you are repeating makes Adam accusing God of being a murderer, essentially repeating the lie of Satan to His face in blasphemous, rebellious hatred toward His creator.
God curses Satan. God curses the earth "for Adam's sake" but He does not curse mankind. instead He makes atonement for them, chastens them as His own children, and promises ultimate salvation & victory over sin and death.

isn't God an impartial and just judge?
the tradition you've been taught makes Adam equal to Satan in transgression, but unequal in judgement.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
God does not save the unrepentant & unbelieving. they die as a result of eating from the tree, not as a result of cursing God.
they stopped hiding immediately when God called to them. they both confessed what they had done, truthfully.
Adam isn't blaming God; he's expressing his love for his wife and his sense of responsibility for her when he confesses.

the common tradition you are repeating makes Adam accusing God of being a murderer, essentially repeating the lie of Satan to His face in blasphemous, rebellious hatred toward His creator.
God curses Satan. God curses the earth "for Adam's sake" but He does not curse mankind. instead He makes atonement for them, chastens them as His own children, and promises ultimate salvation & victory over sin and death.

isn't God an impartial and just judge?
the tradition you've been taught makes Adam equal to Satan in transgression, but unequal in judgement.
Have it your way. Because of Adam's sin death passed upon all mankind and all the creatures of the earth. God had a plan of redemption for His creation before God ever made the world.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
it's God's way

he that covereth his sins shall not prosper:
but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

(Proverbs 28:13)
the tradition you're repeating here makes Adam covering his sins, refusing to confess or forsake them. but Adam receives mercy.
therefore that human tradition of Adam refusing to confess & instead blaming God as the author of sin, contradicts scripture and calls God evil.

Because of Adam's sin death passed upon all mankind and all the creatures of the earth. God had a plan of redemption for His creation before God ever made the world.
of course. but that isn't a factor in the awful, unsupportable mess of an interpretation that 97% ((made up statistic)) of modern preaching gives for Genesis 2-4.

Nov 15, 2020
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
i tend to agree -- i think Satan in his cleverness used Adam's love for Eve to ensnare him, and did so because he knew he couldn't directly deceive him, either because he had tried, or simply by inference from what he had observed about Adam.
Adam could have taken a time out to discuss with eve what was about to happen .... but he didn't. And they hadn't seen the serpent before. So this second opinion seemed right to them. The rest "is history" unfortunately.