The Father Of Roman Catholicism, Emperor Constatine The Great

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Constantine built the original St. Peter's Basilica, And Also Built The "Lateran patriarchate" where the Popes have resided.

Constantine is the foundation and father of Roman Catholicism the State Church, a (Fact)

Wikipedia: St. Peter's Basilica
Old St. Peter's Basilica was the 4th-century church begun by the Emperor Constantine the Great between 319 and 333 AD.[26] It was of typical basilical form, a wide nave and two aisles on each side and an apsidal end, with the addition of a transept or bema, giving the building the shape of a tau cross. It was over 103.6 metres (340 ft) long, and the entrance was preceded by a large colonnaded atrium. This church had been built over the small shrine believed to mark the burial place of St. Peter, though the tomb was "smashed" in 846 AD.[27] It contained a very large number of burials and memorials, including those of most of the popes from St. Peter to the 15th century. Like all of the earliest churches in Rome, both this church and its successor had the entrance to the east and the apse at the west end of the building.[28] Since the construction of the current basilica, the name Old St. Peter's Basilica has been used for its predecessor to distinguish the two buildings.

Wikipedia: Lateran Palace
The Domus Laterani came into the possession of the emperor when Constantine I married his second wife Fausta, sister of Maxentius. Around 312, Constantine had razed the imperial horse-guards barracks adjoining the palace, which was known as Domus Faustae or "House of Fausta" by this time; the equites singulares Augusti had supported Maxentius against Constantine. He commissioned the construction of the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano on the site.[2] The Domus was eventually given to the Bishop of Rome by Constantine.

As Byzantium grew less able to help prevent Lombard incursions, the papacy became more independent of the Empire. Prior to the early eighth century, the residence of the bishops of Rome was not called a palace, but rather the "Lateran patriarchate".[3] The incentive to refurbish the Lateran patriarchate as a true palace was to create an imperial residence from which the pope could exercise not only spiritual but also temporal authority.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
Interesting topic.
---
Constantine 'opened the door/laying the foundation' for..
- The concept/idea of 'State Church.'
- Theodosius I made Christianity..the state religion of
the Roman Empire.
---
The concept of 'State Church' influenced Protestantism..in Christian history.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Interesting topic.
---
Constantine 'opened the door/laying the foundation' for..
- The concept/idea of 'State Church.'
- Theodosius I made Christianity..the state religion of
the Roman Empire.
---
The concept of 'State Church' influenced Protestantism..in Christian history.
Constantine influenced the world, and its religious controls that followed

The Russian Orthodox Church would be a prime example of Constatines State Church today, inseparable from the governments control

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
A far cry from the "eklesia" or "body of believers" as the first century church was.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
A far cry from the "eklesia" or "body of believers" as the first century church was.
Yes I agree, the opinion is to reveal the true foundation of Roman Catholicism, it was a means of government control at it's time, and this religious control and State Church has spread throughout the world

Another prime example is 1929 and fascist Italian dictator Mussolini giving "Vatican City" it's own national status and protections

Yes this has been used to shelter Roman Catholic Criminals from around the globe, Boston's Cardinal (Bernard Francis Law) being one, who fled from Boston in Dec 2002 to "Vatican City" having 400+ counts of child molestation and under US Grand Jury indictment, he was sheltered from extradition by Pope John Paul II

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
wow! No one can hide from God and His judgement, it isn't His will that we suffer judgement, ever. with 400+ charges it doesn't seem like repentance was sought.
blessings

Jul 9, 2020
Yes I agree, the opinion is to reveal the true foundation of Roman Catholicism, it was a means of government control at it's time, and this religious control and State Church has spread throughout the world

Another prime example is 1929 and fascist Italian dictator Mussolini giving "Vatican City" it's own national status and protections

Yes this has been used to shelter Roman Catholic Criminals from around the globe, Boston's Cardinal (Bernard Francis Law) being one, who fled from Boston in Dec 2002 to "Vatican City" having 400+ counts of child molestation and under US Grand Jury indictment, he was sheltered from extradition by Pope John Paul II
I don't know. I think modern 501c3 churches bend the knee every bit as much as the church did during Constantine's reign. Probably more. Back then you had the church exerting influence on the government. I don't see churches putting much of any pressure on the government now. They're all too scared to lose their tax free status.

"Freedom of religion" is a farce. You will never have a peaceful society with Catholics, Protestants, jews, muslims, satanists, atheists, hindu's all living together. Gotta decide which you want to have and get rid of all the others. Otherwise it's gonna constantly be some level of civil war. But that was probably the plan from the start. It's good to have people fighting amongst one another if you want to have an excuse to exert more and more controls.

Where's our precious 501c3's in all this? They're all too busy talking about how we all need to be sure to pay our taxes, love gays, and obey the authoritah's. Oh yeah...they also all love talking about how we need to go fight for israel. Any church that shut down for corona probably needed to die anyway. Good riddance. You've probably got a better chance of dying from corona than finding a decent church.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
with all due respect that sounds more like personal unhappiness.
I only go where He guides me to go, I find good Bible believing churches frequently, granted they are seldom main line churches where people go to hear someone talk "about" God and not with Him and too Him. The participants as well, most often love God, but they were raised in the same dead rituals and traditions and know no better. If and when they continue to seek him with ALL their heart, they will find Him. He promised and we know He keeps His promises.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
I don't know. I think modern 501c3 churches bend the knee every bit as much as the church did during Constantine's reign. Probably more. Back then you had the church exerting influence on the government. I don't see churches putting much of any pressure on the government now. They're all too scared to lose their tax free status.

"Freedom of religion" is a farce. You will never have a peaceful society with Catholics, Protestants, jews, muslims, satanists, atheists, hindu's all living together. Gotta decide which you want to have and get rid of all the others. Otherwise it's gonna constantly be some level of civil war. But that was probably the plan from the start. It's good to have people fighting amongst one another if you want to have an excuse to exert more and more controls.

Where's our precious 501c3's in all this? They're all too busy talking about how we all need to be sure to pay our taxes, love gays, and obey the authoritah's. Oh yeah...they also all love talking about how we need to go fight for israel. Any church that shut down for corona probably needed to die anyway. Good riddance. You've probably got a better chance of dying from corona than finding a decent church.
I cant disagree with your analysis, it's pretty much the truth, divide and conquer

However I strongly believe Constantine used religion to amalgamate his empire

He created a quasi pagan/christian church, and appeased the populace, and he pretended to be carring the cross while he was doing it, a true politician!

B

Blackpowderduelist

Making the jump from Constantine to vatican is the same as making the jump from Alfred the great to American in crisis today.
Shortly after Constantine died Under Theodosius, christianity became the roman state church however under Romulous Rome fell to Germanic kings who were Arian in theology, and hostile toward Catholicism. Then Rome fell to the Lombards, who were defeated by a Frankish King named Pepin. It was king Pepin who have large portions of Italy to the then bishop of Rome and this was the begining of the rise to power for the catholic church, and the rise of the papacy.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It was king Pepin who have large portions of Italy to the then bishop of Rome and this was the begining of the rise to power for the catholic church, and the rise of the papacy.
While the church of Rome dominated Western Europe, the Orthodox Church dominated Eastern Europe, and the Byzantine empire was probably even more powerful than the Holy Roman Empire. And church and state were inseparable on both sides. But we need to balance the positive with the negatives. Europe as a whole became a Christian continent in that Christian values were recognized as true. The negatives were the use of state power to persecute dissenters. So when the Reformers came on the scene, they were unable (or unwilling) to totally separate themselves from the state either.

In the Balkans, the conflict between Catholics and Orthodox became very serious and hundreds of thousands (perhaps more) died in the conflicts between the Serbs and the Croats. That animosity will probably never disappear. Add to that the Muslim populations of the Balkans, and you have a real problem.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Making the jump from Constantine to vatican is the same as making the jump from Alfred the great to American in crisis today.
Shortly after Constantine died Under Theodosius, christianity became the roman state church however under Romulous Rome fell to Germanic kings who were Arian in theology, and hostile toward Catholicism. Then Rome fell to the Lombards, who were defeated by a Frankish King named Pepin. It was king Pepin who have large portions of Italy to the then bishop of Rome and this was the begining of the rise to power for the catholic church, and the rise of the papacy.
Constantine built the original St. Peter's Basilica, And Also Built The "Lateran patriarchate" where the Popes have resided.

Constantine is the foundation and father of Roman Catholicism the State Church, a (Fact)

Old St. Peter's Basilica was the 4th-century church begun by the Emperor Constantine the Great between 319 and 333 AD.[26] It was of typical basilical form, a wide nave and two aisles on each side and an apsidal end, with the addition of a transept or bema, giving the building the shape of a tau cross. It was over 103.6 metres (340 ft) long, and the entrance was preceded by a large colonnaded atrium. This church had been built over the small shrine believed to mark the burial place of St. Peter, though the tomb was "smashed" in 846 AD.[27] It contained a very large number of burials and memorials, including those of most of the popes from St. Peter to the 15th century. Like all of the earliest churches in Rome, both this church and its successor had the entrance to the east and the apse at the west end of the building.[28] Since the construction of the current basilica, the name Old St. Peter's Basilica has been used for its predecessor to distinguish the two buildings.

The Domus Laterani came into the possession of the emperor when Constantine I married his second wife Fausta, sister of Maxentius. Around 312, Constantine had razed the imperial horse-guards barracks adjoining the palace, which was known as Domus Faustae or "House of Fausta" by this time; the equites singulares Augusti had supported Maxentius against Constantine. He commissioned the construction of the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano on the site.[2] The Domus was eventually given to the Bishop of Rome by Constantine.

As Byzantium grew less able to help prevent Lombard incursions, the papacy became more independent of the Empire. Prior to the early eighth century, the residence of the bishops of Rome was not called a palace, but rather the "Lateran patriarchate".[3] The incentive to refurbish the Lateran patriarchate as a true palace was to create an imperial residence from which the pope could exercise not only spiritual but also temporal authority.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
While the church of Rome dominated Western Europe, the Orthodox Church dominated Eastern Europe, and the Byzantine empire was probably even more powerful than the Holy Roman Empire. And church and state were inseparable on both sides. But we need to balance the positive with the negatives. Europe as a whole became a Christian continent in that Christian values were recognized as true. The negatives were the use of state power to persecute dissenters. So when the Reformers came on the scene, they were unable (or unwilling) to totally separate themselves from the state either.

In the Balkans, the conflict between Catholics and Orthodox became very serious and hundreds of thousands (perhaps more) died in the conflicts between the Serbs and the Croats. That animosity will probably never disappear. Add to that the Muslim populations of the Balkans, and you have a real problem.
There were "Many" Christian's that existed in Europe outside of the Roman Catholic or Orthodox churches that were persecuted by both

B

Blackpowderduelist

Wikipedia is your response?
I gave you facts, you give wikipedia. Lol.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Yes and this power and division came much later than Constantine. The great schism between the eastern Orthodox and the Roman church began in 1050-ish. Christianity was pretty well a scattered but unified-ish group in the late 300s.
It was after Pepin gave land and power to the bishop of rome in the after 755 that political power became part of the church.

Jul 9, 2020
There were "Many" Christian's that existed in Europe outside of the Roman Catholic or Orthodox churches that were persecuted by both
I absolutely can't not prove this...
It's just a hunch...
But I suspect this "history" has been overblown.
Why??

What does this "information" produce? It produces animosity between Catholics and Protestants.
Who benefits from the two major sects of Christianity fighting one another? Satan.
Who is the "prince of this world"? Satan.

I mean, maybe that's really the way it happened. But I it sure is convenient for satanic purposes.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Wikipedia is your response?
I gave you facts, you give wikipedia. Lol.
Its a fact Constatine built the Roman Catholic St. Peter's Basilica starting in 319AD, that stood for 1300+ years

It's a fact that Constantine gave the Latern Palace to the Popes for their residence

Please correct myself and Wikipediaif the claims are false

How could you claim that Constantine had no relevance in Roman Catholicism's foundation, as he provided the St. Peter's Basilica, the Lateran Palace as the Pope's residence, and he Called the 1st Nicean Council?

Please correct me if myself and Wikipedia is wrong? :)

Perhaps you would desire a quote from the Roman Catholic Encyclopedia? :giggle:

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Its a fact Constatine built the Roman Catholic St. Peter's Basilica starting in 319AD, that stood for 1300+ years

It's a fact that Constantine gave the Latern Palace to the Popes for their residence

Please correct myself and Wikipediaif the claims are false

How could you claim that Constantine had no relevance in Roman Catholicism's foundation, as he provided the St. Peter's Basilica, the Lateran Palace as the Pope's residence, and he Called the 1st Nicean Council?

Please correct me if myself and Wikipedia is wrong? :)

Perhaps you would desire a quote from the Roman Catholic Encyclopedia? :giggle:
The facts of Constantine need to be studied by all Christians, but that study needs to be about finding the way our doctrines are of Constantine instead of scripture. Some people study Constantine as being good or bad, and that is not the point. We are not to judge people but we are to judge if something is of the word of God.

Before Constantine, doctrine questions were determined by men who had been taught by Jesus, afterward doctrine was determined by councils of men. They said they were absolutely true to God's ways, not by scripture but they claimed it was the Holy Spirit that told them they could add to the word of the Lord. Scripture tells us that is not true.

Under Constantine was the rule that anything the Jews do we must not do for they are an evil people. Under scripture, gentiles did not need to follow Jewish customs, but they were told to bless them or God would curse the people who cursed them.

We need to study Constantine in light of church doctrine we have today, not in order to judge the man, Constantine.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Yes and this power and division came much later than Constantine. The great schism between the eastern Orthodox and the Roman church began in 1050-ish. Christianity was pretty well a scattered but unified-ish group in the late 300s.
It was after Pepin gave land and power to the bishop of rome in the after 755 that political power became part of the church.
Bible Hub

Your claim that political power started in 755 is false, Athanasius was banished by the Arians after the 325 Nicean Council, Because he opposed them, this was carried out by Eusebius of Caesarea and enforced by Constantine

perhaps you need read the entire page concerning Athanasius and his banishment at the hands of Eusebius and Constantine

The Council of Tyre and First Exile of Athanasius, 335-337.

Select Works and Letters or Athanasius — Athanasius

Many of the bishops who were making their way to the great festival met at Tyre. The Arian element was very strong. Eusebius of Nicomedia, Narcissus, Maris, Theognis, Patrophilus, George, now bishop of Laodicea, are all familiar names. Ursacius and Valens, young [47] both in years and in mind' make their first entrance on the stage of ecclesiastical intrigue; Eusebius of Cæsarea headed a large body of conservative' malcontents: in the total number of perhaps 150, the friends of Athanasius were outnumbered by nearly two to one. (See Gwatkin's note, p.85, Hefele ii.17, Eng Tra.) Eusebius of Cæsarea took the chair (yet see D.C.B. ii.316^b). The proceedings of the Council were heated and disorderly; promiscuous accusations were flung from side to side; the president himself was charged by an excited Egyptian Confessor with having sacrificed to idols (p.104, n.2), while against Athanasius every possible charge was raked up. The principal one was that of harshness and violence. Callinicus, bishop of Pelusium, according to a later story [48] , had taken up the cause of Ischyras, and been deposed by Athanasius in consequence. A certain Mark had been appointed to supersede him, and he had been subjected to military force.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
I absolutely can't not prove this...
It's just a hunch...
But I suspect this "history" has been overblown.
Why??

What does this "information" produce? It produces animosity between Catholics and Protestants.
Who benefits from the two major sects of Christianity fighting one another? Satan.
Who is the "prince of this world"? Satan.

I mean, maybe that's really the way it happened. But I it sure is convenient for satanic purposes.
I disagree that speaking truth is a satanic purpose

Actually exposing the evils is mandated to the Christian

To maintain silence of truth in the name of keeping peace in tolerance, would be contrary to scripture

Acts 4:15-21KJV
15 But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves,
16 Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.
17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.
18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.
19 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.
20 For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.
21 So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done.