O
oldernotwiser
Guest
God the Father
Attempting to describe the nature of God the Father is both simple and difficult to the point of impossibility. In God the Father we are addressing the Creator of the universe. Language is simply inadequate for the task of describing the creator of not just the universe but time and space itself. It is possible to list the attributes of God, but even then we are limited to our own human frame of reference. God is best described in the words of Ex: 14 “God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM” This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.”’ God is self existing, is pure spirit, existing outside of time and place. When physical scientists describe “The Big Bang” they are not talking about God but His action. When we use terms like “eternity, omniscience, omnipresence,” and “omnipotence” we are pretending that because we can apply labels to things we understand them. It just isn’t so. I Cor. 13:12 describes the nature of our understanding of God beautifully: “Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.” Paul was a man who had been carried up to see Heaven, but he could only describe the nature of divine things in terms of a primitive, clouded, First Century looking glass.
Attempting to describe the nature of God the Father is both simple and difficult to the point of impossibility. In God the Father we are addressing the Creator of the universe. Language is simply inadequate for the task of describing the creator of not just the universe but time and space itself. It is possible to list the attributes of God, but even then we are limited to our own human frame of reference. God is best described in the words of Ex: 14 “God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM” This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.”’ God is self existing, is pure spirit, existing outside of time and place. When physical scientists describe “The Big Bang” they are not talking about God but His action. When we use terms like “eternity, omniscience, omnipresence,” and “omnipotence” we are pretending that because we can apply labels to things we understand them. It just isn’t so. I Cor. 13:12 describes the nature of our understanding of God beautifully: “Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.” Paul was a man who had been carried up to see Heaven, but he could only describe the nature of divine things in terms of a primitive, clouded, First Century looking glass.